• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

I just got to the blacksmith and I don't think I want to play this any more. Do the bad hitboxes ever get better? If I put points into a certain stat will I get more i-frames? Because at the moment every single roll feels like a gamble with terrible odds. After nearly 6 hours I feel like I should have adjusted to the game's speed by now but it still just feels unfair to me; Like the player's animations have been slowed down to 50% while all the enemies are still fast. Because of this it feels like enemies with shields are not able to be dealt with reliably due to a complete lack of vulnerable moments in their patterns. If you break their guard they provide no opportunity for a follow up attack because all of my guy's animations are too slow.

I would agree that rolling is a crap shoot. It has only served me in avoiding lethal attacks by rolling backward. So unfortunately the use of rolling offensively isn't much of an option. But that just forces you to change up your strategy.

Those big dudes with the sword and board, at first the only way I could reliably take them down was using gauntlet when it was ready and getting a quick attack in after blocking their charge attack, and they'd kill me often. Then I had the hair brained idea to sprint at him at the same time and power attack. Suffice to say, they are super easy now. I talk smack on them everytime now. Yea, I'm that cool.

Velurian

So I finished the game last night. Dunno what the fuzz is all about...
a) game ran fine/ crashed 1-2 times during about 20h of game time /ran fine
b) hitting the enmies worked fine, liked how different weapons have different speeds/patterns
c) found the game tough at start, easy past lvl 20 or sth/but fun all the same
d) bosses could have been harder/with more varied tactics

,,, so has it been improved so much of late or does the metascore seem quite unfair to anyone else as well?

80+ title in my book...

impact

Banned
They ever patching this? My SSD is too precious for such a buggy piece of shit. And also I'm running out of space.

I'd like to come back and try to play it if they can patch PC performance. It's just not ok to release games in this state. The developers should feel bad.

fcobento

Neo Member
So I finished the game last night. Dunno what the fuzz is all about...
a) game ran fine/ crashed 1-2 times during about 20h of game time /ran fine
b) hitting the enmies worked fine, liked how different weapons have different speeds/patterns
c) found the game tough at start, easy past lvl 20 or sth/but fun all the same
d) bosses could have been harder/with more varied tactics

,,, so has it been improved so much of late or does the metascore seem quite unfair to anyone else as well?

80+ title in my book...

I really liked the game too... my only complaint is that the map is quite small.
The fights were really good... a bit longer at time. Those shielded grunts bastars were tough to kill even at higher levels... but it was a pleasant surprise.

8/10

M.W.

Starting on Wed the 18th this game will be 85% off for Gold members on X1. Also 75% off for silver members. I'm diving in.

Ok, so I'm a little late to the party but I picked it up from the xbox sale yesterday before they took it off. It looks gorgeous, but damn it's hard. I picked Brawler with the balanced armor.

I find the attacks pretty slow. I am at the second lord (The Commander) and I barely cut down on his health. I was stuck on him for about an hour last night and just had to give it up and go to bed. I have four weapons with the Butcher axe doing the most damage but all my weapons are slow. :(

Weapons I have:
Butcher - high damage but prettty slow
Default Hammer - (what I've been using)
Battle axe (from one of the smaller mini boss's) slow
Persistence(flame sword from the first lord) really slow

So any tips?

Dunlop

Just picked this up on the sale as well.

I am pretty new to these types of games, I had demon soul and handed in my hardcore gamer card after playing it for a few hours lol.

I started as a Paladin, beat the first boss and am just grinding stats at the starting zone until I am able to use a shield and greatsword I found

Any recommendation for stats?

So any tips?

If I recall correct, that boss felt like it was there to teach the player to use the gauntlet. You get it just before, and I died a few times to the boss before trying the gauntlet, which ended up being an easy fight. Not sure the gauntlet is mandatory, though. I doubt it is, actually.

And for stats, I'd say pick a weapon style (small or big, basicly) and spend to the corresponding stat. I would not spend too much XP on spells, you will get free spell points throughout the game.

If I recall correct, that boss felt like it was there to teach the player to use the gauntlet. You get it just before, and I died a few times to the boss before trying the gauntlet, which ended up being an easy fight. Not sure the gauntlet is mandatory, though. I doubt it is, actually.

And for stats, I'd say pick a weapon style (small or big, basicly) and spend to the corresponding stat. I would not spend too much XP on spells, you will get free spell points throughout the game.

Yeah! I did get the gauntlet, does it recharge automatically? It didn't do much to a regular baddy when I first used it so I didn't even try on the Lord. Also, I tried youtubing the boss and the guys that beat him have insane armor and weapons....I'm guessing there is some sort of NG+....?

Yeah! I did get the gauntlet, does it recharge automatically? It didn't do much to a regular baddy when I first used it so I didn't even try on the Lord. Also, I tried youtubing the boss and the guys that beat him have insane armor and weapons....I'm guessing there is some sort of NG+....?

Yeah there is a cooldown on the gauntlet's spells.

And yeah, there is a NG+ and I think NG++ too.

Yeah there is a cooldown on the gauntlet's spells.

And yeah, there is a NG+ and I think NG++ too.

This explains a lot from the youtube vids, then. I wish these guys would post up first time fights with the boss's. Everyone knows you can beat them the second and third time around with better equipment.

Just beat the Commander Lord and am headed to the graveyard Is the shield you gain a must for the next section? They throw in some big guys at you and they start double teaming you. I've also leveled up my strength, vitality, endurance tributes the most. Was this a bad idea?

Just beat the Commander Lord and am headed to the graveyard Is the shield you gain a must for the next section? They throw in some big guys at you and they start double teaming you. I've also leveled up my strength, vitality, endurance tributes the most. Was this a bad idea?

Sounds about right, you will be using the bigger weapons then.

Just made it to the Graveyard and met the next Boss Lord. This game really does make you pace yourself. I feel like I've played about 10 hours and have only gone through 2 bosses. Geeeez

npa189

Got it for $9 on the X1 sale and beat the tutorial boss, movement feels terrible, hit boxes are crap, and the dodge is useless. Makes me want to play dark souls and put this turd down.

So around the graveyard there's a dude who has a shield and blocks everything. What do I do as a rogue type with a fast weapon? Hard to get through his defenses.

Picked this up on the xbox sale for 10€ and to make it short, theres actually a good game under the surface. No doubt if you are a souls veteran like me the first 2-3 hours are pretty rough. It takes some time adjusting to the combat, but once you have adjusted its quite satisfying.

Game is not really balanced, with a strength build NG endgame became way too easy and now on NG+ im just destroying everything. Im midway through NG+ and have literally facetanked all bosses up to now because they barely do any damage.

All in all I do recommed this, its worth a look and im looking forward to a LOTF 2...

They ever fix the crashing/lockups? That pretty much ended me playing this out of frustration.

I played on PS4 and completed without crashes or freezes. Not without framerate drops and few bugs though.

Also some more thoughts on the DLC. If March PS+ end up being good, I don't think I will be buying it right away. IF PS+ is not enough to carry into mid-late March big releases, then I might give the DLC a try.

lordxar

I played on PS4 and completed without crashes or freezes. Not without framerate drops and few bugs though.

Wish mine worked better. I was getting random freezes just walking around. So I just gave up until they hopefully patch it. Did nit want to get into a boss battle and have that happen.

I am playing on PC with a 360 controller.

I have the somewhat infuriating problem that my character stops sprinting if I change direction (slightly offsetting to the right side triggers it every time, left side not so often). I am not out of energy but he will stop sprinting when I change direction from straight onwards.

I have tried two controllers and the same issue occurs. Using a keyboard and mouse does not bring about the problem.

Has anybody else had this problem with a 360 controller?

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Back in the fall I rented LotF for Xbone and was hugely disappointed. It looked awful and blurry and I had a hard time getting immersed. I know a lot of it had to do with the CA being used but also perhaps the 900p resolution.

Snagged it over the weekend on PS4 and man, the game can be beautiful. Like night and day compared to the Xbone copy I played. With the patch to get rid of CA, and playing at a native resolution it makes such a world of difference. I can see the game now!

Game still has an voice audio bug I've encountered a couple times that only fixes when I restart the game, but otherwise it's running nicely. No tearing that I've seen and framerate is good.

Back in the fall I rented LotF for Xbone and was hugely disappointed. It looked awful and blurry and I had a hard time getting immersed. I know a lot of it had to do with the CA being used but also perhaps the 900p resolution.

Snagged it over the weekend on PS4 and man, the game can be beautiful. Like night and day compared to the Xbone copy I played. With the patch to get rid of CA, and playing at a native resolution it makes such a world of difference. I can see the game now!

Game still has an voice audio bug I've encountered a couple times that only fixes when I restart the game, but otherwise it's running nicely. No tearing that I've seen and framerate is good.

I snagged the X1 copy when it was on sale a few weeks back for $9. It's a pretty decent looking game. There must have been a huge patch because it looks beautiful and runs pretty well. And it's only a 7 gb size! Mind you, I've played some bad new gen games and this isn't one of them.

RulkezX

Got it for $9 on the X1 sale and beat the tutorial boss, movement feels terrible, hit boxes are crap, and the dodge is useless. Makes me want to play dark souls and put this turd down.

Funny , I bought this when it was like £10 on XBL and only just started it tonight. This post sums up my feeling exactly. The movement is horrible and holy fuck at the hit boxes.

RulkezX

Should I play this game? Just completed a masterpiece in Bloodborne and never really looked into this game.

I haven't played BB, but given the praise it's gotten for it's combat and tight controls, I'd think that having just played it will only further highlight LotF's problems.

Skii

I haven't played BB, but given the praise it's gotten for it's combat and tight controls, I'd think that having just played it will only further highlight LotF's problems.

That bad huh? That's a shame. I'm just watching a review now and the combat looks awfully slow. That was one of my complaints with Dark Souls 2 but this game looks like it's being played in slow motion. Don't think I'll be able to adapt after the speed of Bloodborne.

foxdvd

Well coming off Bloodborne I was not expecting much, but I am 10 hours into this and the game is fun as hell. Flaws aside, and there are some, the game overall is much more enjoyable than I thought. I honestly would rate this a solid 8 at this point.

Dantis

Just finished this. Final few hours were more infuriating than fun. Felt like the later bosses had to be cheesed to be beaten.

foxdvd

Just finished this. Final few hours were more infuriating than fun. Felt like the later bosses had to be cheesed to be beaten.

what class did you play?

I just got my platinum on this. The game really ups the difficulty in new game plus and new game plus plus...but the Shift skill under the rogue tree makes all the bosses easy. I am not sure why so many bashed that skill, but I took off 75% of the last bosses health on new game ++ with one shift attack...

I will preorder the next game in this series no questions asked...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How do crush weak walls? It says in a guide that I should run towards it with my shield held up. How do I do that?
Yeah that's how. Really counter-intuitive but basically, start dashing towards the wall, and then at the last moment put up your shield (you need one equipped, two-handing a weapon doesn't work IIRC) and release it, it'll do this sort of shield bash. You need to time the shield-bash just as it comes into contact with the wall.

Really stupid IMO.

Koeta

Tried looking but couldn't find info, I read patch 1.4 was out but my copy wont update to 1.4?

1NAUwCa.jpg

Koeta

hm I may have found the problem, seems the console version is numbered differently than PC, 1.4 on console is 1.2 it seems.

Been on the fence about the game for a while, but I see its on sale at BB and with GCU it's on $22. Btw, I love the Souls series and Bloodborne.

Hupsel

Holy shit bought this game in the last PSN sale. It is complete and utterly shit.

Combat: Incredible slow, like a lot of people say. Takes forever to swing anything bigger than a pair of daggers. Enemies always stagger you, even if you have the best heavy armor in the game and you can be stun locked. Also, some enemies and specially bosses love to switch the attack direction in the middle of the attack to hit you.

Enemies: Incredible boring to fight. How can you fuck up this part of the game? Some enemies, like the heavy shield dudes, are sooo boring to fight and take ages to die since you need to stagger then. Other enemies, like the white lichs, take a lot of magic damage and next to nothing melee damage. I didnt even have a high faith, guess what? I got fucked by them.

Bosses: Incredible lazy design for most of them. Just big guys with swords and shields. And I though DS2 bosses were the worst part of the game...

Bugs: Oh god. If the sound disappears in the middle of the game, you better pray. This happens a lot and theres a high chance the game will crash. Happened to me 3 times already.

So, yeah... if you like Souls, avoid it. If you like videogames, avoid it.

daninthemix

I'm finding this game really cumbersome. There seems to be a six-hour delay both before and after every single action. You can't just clone Dark Souls difficulty and mechanics without also including its precision and responsiveness.

The utter paucity of stamina - even when you pump endurance - makes it a game in which you spend more time waiting than doing anything else (this is almost literally true when you combine waiting for stamina regen with the yawnsome windups and recoveries).

Just about any attack from any enemy will interrupt yours, even when wearing gear with the highest poise, rendering it an apparently worthless stat.

EDIT: just got the Justice sword and reduced my encumbrance to green, and finally the combat has become playable. It's just a shame that it takes until near the end of NG for that to become the case. Hence why so many people hate the game from the off.

EDIT2: the level design is cataclysmical in its ineptitude. You will get very lost, require a walkthrough, and wonder what the hell is going on. Unlike Dark Souls, all areas are interchangeably indistinguishable, so good luck figuring out where you are, let alone where you need to be.

So after having played the hell out of both Dark Souls games lately (no PlayStation for Bloodborne or Demon's) I decided to pick this up. It was only $25 for the limited edition, so I figured why not.

Being a huge souls fan, of course I'm going to compare it. It's hard not to when the mechanics are so similar! Here's my little "review" (may contain minor spoilers)

Pros:

+ Very pretty game. I'm a sucker for stuff like Depth of field and lens flares...

+ Sound Design is top notch. I love how visceral and weighty everything sounds and feels.

+ Shield slamming people to stagger while sprinting is great..

Cons:
- Hitboxes. It really does seem like dodging is pretty inconsistent. It may be me though, since I'm used to the Dark Souls timing.

- Slow! I did play a warrior class, but still, overall, I felt like I was fighting in molasses. This may not be a bad thing to some, but most of the time it felt like fighting trash mobs took too long.

- Turtling enemies. The only consistent way I had to break their guard was the sprinting shield slam, but I could only take advantage of it if I used a one handed weapon. Everything else is way too slow and the enemies recover really fast.

- Overall lack of variety. With only three "classes" and such limited magic, I'm afraid subsequent playthroughs are going to feel mostly the same. Melee, block, dodge, melee... Also such a small amount of equipment compared to Souls. Also, the environments are so limited. I got really tired of snowy castles, and I'm not crazy about the over-gaudy art style with huge shoulder pads and spikes all over everything. That particular part is an opinion, but at least in Dark Souls there's good ol' fashioned knight armor/swords AND crazy impractical stuff.

- Weapon upgrades: One of my favorite things about Dark Souls is that no weapons are clearly better than others. You can keep them with you the whole game if you keep them upgraded. Doing NG+ feels kind of pointless because I know I'm going to just use the same weapon since it's better than the rest by default. In Dark Souls, all weapons are pretty much on even ground and just set apart by different movesets, elemental damage, and damage types (thrust, slash, strike).

- No multiplayer. Not a big deal for some, but Jolly Cooperation and fun duels in Dark Souls keep me coming back.

- Again, opinion - Not a fan of the story/lore. But that's all optional :)

tl:dr - Lords is a pretty fun game, but I wouldn't buy it for $60. It's like a slowed-down souls game but with very little variety. Like a fragment of a souls game.

Top Bottom