• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 05.14: "The Variable" (LOST x 100 / X > Everything Ever; Solve For X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LM4sure

Banned
Your topic title is very confusing. You need to change it so people actually know you're talking about Lost. I thought you were talking about some show called The Variable that in your opinion is 100 times better than lost.

Change that shit

ZeoVGM

Banned
dave is ok said:
It's not a four toed statue but it was the most emotional scene in Lost history (this point cannot be argued).

As much as I loved that scene, yeah, I'm with Solo. Even though I knew it was coming, I teared up during Charlie's death. He's not one of GAF's favorite characters in general, but he was one of mine. I just related to him.

His death + that music + the cut to Claire and the baby = me turning into a blubbering pussy. :lol

Blader

Kastro said:
how does the constant end up in every thread.. most overrated episode of anything ever.

The Variable is supposed to be a bookend (of sorts) to The Constant, so it makes sense for this thread. =P

Yaweee

LM4sure said:
Your topic title is very confusing. You need to change it so people actually know you're talking about Lost. I thought you were talking about some show called The Variable that in your opinion is 100 times better than lost.

Change that shit

But it works on so many levels!

LM4sure said:

Change that shit

Yeah, I forgot to put LOST in front like I usually do.

Sorry.

ZeoVGM

Banned
LM4sure said:

Change that shit

Birdie has a way of making his thread titles... unique. I both love and hate them at the same time.

neoism

Kastro said:
how does the constant end up in every thread.. most overrated episode of anything ever.
11qqmb8.gif

koam

Why do you guys always make this theead a day before. I ALWAYS forget about lost because when wednesday comes the thread is already big so i keep thinking it's last week's ep's thread.

neoism

BenjaminBirdie said:

Sorry.
:lol :lol That's why I couldn't find it either!
Speaking "Solve For X" was that puzzle ever figured out! I still can't find that damn issue anywhere!

neoism said:
:lol :lol That's why I couldn't find it either!
Speaking "Solve For X" was that puzzle ever figured out! I still can't find that damn issue anywhere!

Beats me, but the mag is everywhere.

If a mod could put "LOST" in front of the thread title, that would be rad.

neoism

koam said:
Why do you guys always make this theead a day before. I ALWAYS forget about lost because when wednesday comes the thread is already big so i keep thinking it's last week's ep's thread.
Because it's stupid to post the thread up 5 minutes before the episode airs. How else are we going to shit up the thread if it's not up a day before!:lol

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I searched google images for "pumped" to strengthen the argument that I am indeed pumped for this episode.

The safe search was off, and I saw everything.

neoism

TheClimaxan said:
In this scene Henry Ian Cusak's other hand is surely on Michael Emerson's Ass. Groping ever so tightly.
:lol :lol More than likely because he was shot in the right shoulder!

ZeoVGM

Banned
koam said:

Just go hang out in the Heroes thread. You won't have to worry about anything like that.

fistfulofmetal said:
VARIABLE I GET IT, IT'S THE OPPOSITE OF CONSTANT.

I didn't notice that, thanks.
Edit : Could you tell me where your avatars from? I know it's Natalie Portman, but I've never seen her look that good.

traveler

Not Wario
Solo said:
I have to argue, since Charlie's death in TTLG made much more of an impact on me.

Yup. The Constant is the episode that really kicked the time travel element of the show into gear, so there's strike 1, and, 2, I've always felt that we never really got much development in terms of Penny/Des' romance- we see it after they've already fallen in love and broken up and we're just supposed to immediately buy in and sympathize for these characters. And people do, because everyone's a sucker for a nice romantic hero right? Still doesn't change the fact that the Constant didn't really do anything to merit the response it got. From where I stand, it looks like people essentially willed themselves into feeling that moment.

Ceres

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:
I didn't notice that, thanks.
Edit : Could you tell me where your avatars from? I know it's Natalie Portman, but I've never seen her look that good.

It's probably somewhere in here. Maybe he can point you to which megaupload file it is.

Blader

traveler said:
Yup. The Constant is the episode that really kicked the time travel element of the show into gear, so there's strike 1, and, 2, I've always felt that we never really got much development in terms of Penny/Des' romance- we see it after they've already fallen in love and broken up and we're just supposed to immediately buy in and sympathize for these characters. And people do, because everyone's a sucker for a nice romantic hero right? Still doesn't change the fact that the Constant didn't really do anything to merit the response it got. From where I stand, it looks like people essentially willed themselves into feeling that moment.

No, you're supposed to grow to sympathize for them over the several Desmond/Penny episodes that preceded The Constant.

ZeoVGM

Banned
traveler said:

Dude.

What?

traveler

Not Wario
Of the whopping 3 episodes featuring Desmond and Penny before the constant, 1 (Live Together, Die Alone) shows them only after the fallout and only briefly at that- understandably showing nothing of their growth as a couple- 1 (Flashes Before Your Eyes) shows them at the end of their relationship (probably the closest the show comes to the development I'm talking about) and 1 (Catch 22) shows them only for a moment, at their meeting. (Penny is basically a cameo here) I'm not arguing the writers haven't made them a viable or sympathetic couple since then, but I certainly felt nothing while watching the Constant. The only way I could even understand the impressions I was reading in this thread at the time was by assuming the idea I said above- that people simply want to buy into these characters and feel for them, regardless of whether the show has facilitated that or not. Obviously you guys feel differently, and that's great- you got a lot more out of that episode than I did- but I still don't feel there was enough buildup for that episode to function as the emotional story it was meant to. (And the time travel stuff certainly did nothing to make me feel better about it)

duckroll

BenjaminBirdie said:

Sorry.

I fixed it. But honestly, I'm shocked that anyone who actually follows these Lost threads can't tell when it's one. :lol

neoism

duckroll said:
I fixed it. But honestly, I'm shocked that anyone who actually follows these Lost threads can't tell when it's one. :lol
:D
traveler said:
Of the whopping 3 episodes featuring Desmond and Penny before the constant, 1 (Live Together, Die Alone) shows them only after the fallout and only briefly at that- understandably showing nothing of their growth as a couple- 1 (Flashes Before Your Eyes) shows them at the end of their relationship (probably the closest the show comes to the development I'm talking about) and 1 (Catch 22) shows them only for a moment, at their meeting. (Penny is basically a cameo here) I'm not arguing the writers haven't made them a viable or sympathetic couple since then, but I certainly felt nothing while watching the Constant. The only way I could even understand the impressions I was reading in this thread at the time was by assuming the idea I said above- that people simply want to buy into these characters and feel for them, regardless of whether the show has facilitated that or not. Obviously you guys feel differently, and that's great- you got a lot more out of that episode than I did- but I still don't feel there was enough buildup for that episode to function as the emotional story it was meant to. (And the time travel stuff certainly did nothing to make me feel better about it)
I honestly felling about 50/50 with this, even though I loved "The Constant", and had a little tear at the end of the episode, I can't help but feel like they could have done more with Pen/Des, they're by no way my favorite characters, but Henry Ian Cusick's acting in that episode was fucking superb, that alone made me care!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I think a little differently, but I think the "developement" of the Des/Penny relationship, in regards to what happens in The Constant, isn't just about the small bits of relationship show in the 3 other episodes.

Alot of it has to do with Des being stranded on an island for years, away from her. It was about the picture he kept, the Book he wasn't going to read until The End, and the message she left in there for him, if the possibility came that he had given up hope because of his situation. It was the brief glimpse of her on the screen when Charlie died. It all built up to the moment of actual connection, even over the phone. Sure, he kind of cheated that by the "1996" Desmond going back and forth in time. But the "modern day" Desmond didn't get that moment until the phone call. That's why it works for me.

Blader

BenjaminBirdie said:
No, it's not that. I have no idea what it means. It's, technically, I think "Lost times 100 divided by X is greater than Everything Ever. Solve For X."

Yes I know that. =P I was just saying if x=100, then it would be Lost > everything ever.

That's about the extent of my math skills though. :lol

Calcaneus

After reading the interview, I'm happy to hear that JJ Abrams is gonna still be uninvolved with the rest of the series. I know he helped create the show, but I was kinda worried that he would do something like swoop in to write/direct the final episode or something.

.GqueB.

Banned
McBacon said:
I come bearing gifts...

2v9953q.jpg

Two, to be precise.
Is it sad that instead of looking at her tits I started looking for Lost easter eggs in the pic?

"That oven mitt... I wonder what it means"

gdt

I'd have no problem with JJ writing or directing A episode next season.

But the finale should/will belong to Lindlecuse and Jack Bender.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
.GqueB. said:
Is it sad that instead of looking at her tits I started looking for Lost easter eggs in the pic?

"That oven mitt... I wonder what it means"
You'll get your answer in season 6 when we see the oven mitt flashback in Thailand.

gdt

Rukes said:
It's tempting, but when you realize next year when the S6 DVD/Blu-ray comes out, there is probably going to be one mega collectors set of the whole series with a bunch of cool stuff, makes me want to wait :(

Ehh, I'd probably say the mega collection will come out 1 or 2 years after S6.

gdt

Bah, I saw this thread and for a very split second I thought today was Wednesday.

rrrrrRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom