• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.03: "What Kate Does" (The Del Taco On La Cienega Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
threenote said:
Indeed. The S3 finale was spoiled for me--I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as mindblowing. Incidentally, I stopped reading fucking spoilers.
that sucks :(

I remember watching it and thinking "wow! Jack was depressed as hell in this flashback, I guess this is after he lost his wife!"

then the end of the episode comes..."WAIT...WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?" :lol

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Dead said:
I cant imagine how shitty it would be to watch the show and have already been spoiled on things like the season 2 and 3 opening scenes, or the season 3 finale.
I can't imagine it either. Knowing all that info from later seasons too early would probably always nag at me. Wouldn't trade my week-to-week spoiler-free experience for anything.

Solo

The S3 finale actually makes it pretty clear that its in the future. No previously flashback had shown Jack with a beard, all drugged out, and suicidal. Then theres the matter of his ex-wife showing up preggers, and the look the other doctor gives him when Jack says to bring his father down.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I honestly felt like it was a flashforward the whole time, but they never telegraphed it, so I didn't think about it too hard. the end scene is still incredibly important to the plot, whether you know or not, the rest is just icing on the cake.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Catalix said:
Happy to say I've been there since day 1. It's been quite the journey :)

It's weird, the only episode I ever missed watching live on TV was S.O.S. The wacky scheduling of that season threw me off big time. From that point on, even after I bought S2, I would always purposefully avoid that episode. I built it up as kind of a legendary "lost" episode in my mind :lol

However, one random Saturday night last year, I just happened to turn on ABC. There it was, just starting... S.O.S. The one single time I happen to catch LOST in syndication, and it's the episode. I finally got the chance to watch it on network television like I was supposed to all those years ago. I don't care what Eko said, that shit was straight up fate!

SOS.jpg

Solo

This week's wait has felt like the single longest wait between episodes Ive had to endure since I started watching the show live in S4.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Solo said:
The S3 finale actually makes it pretty clear that its in the future. No previously flashback had shown Jack with a beard, all drugged out, and suicidal. Then theres the matter of his ex-wife showing up preggers, and the look the other doctor gives him when Jack says to bring his father down.
I honestly just thought the writers were clumsily trying to shoe-horn this suicidal Hobo Jack into the pre-Island timeline. I was actually really put-off by it throughout the entire episode... until the very end. :lol

My initial disdain made the shock so much sweeter.

Yaweee

You're forgetting the 3 years that were spent in Dharmaville/off island. That is real time too.

It just so happens that "real time" is 3-4 months in 2004 ---> 3 years in 1977 OR 3 years off island + a few days in 1977 ---> 2007

Lonestar said:
No. You are forgetting that everyone, 77's and O6's, all experienced 3 years apart. The only people that have experienced "less time" than anyone else, is Ben and Locke, because of the effects of the wheel turning.

Ben was only off island 2 years-ish (he missed went forward a year when he turned the wheel).

Locke went forward...2 ish years, but since he came from some random time in the past when he turned the wheel, who knows when he showed back up in the real world. The show of Locke trying to get the O6 back, was presented kind of badly, making it seem like it all happened over a few days. I think he had actually been back for a few months before his murder. He didn't just leave Jack at the Hospital and rush to go off himself.

You guys misunderstand what I meant. I know about the three years in Dharmaville, or three years off island. What I was referring to were that all of those storeis are told in flashbacks/flashforwards, and were never the "real time" aspect of any episodes. As far as the non-flashback,non-flashforward aspects of the show, we've only seen ~120 days, with a three-year gap somewhere in the middle.

Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham is mostly flashbacks, with a component taking place after the crash of 316 (which is the first time we really meet Ceasar, I think)

SpeedingUptoStop

Solo said:
This week's wait has felt like the single longest wait between episodes Ive had to endure since I started watching the show live in S4.
Agreed. I can't believe it's Tuesday finally. Saw you guys talking about watching it tonight and I was like "wait, really? Yes, it is tuesday!"

Solo

Yaweee said:
You guys misunderstand what I meant. I know about the three years in Dharmaville, or three years off island. What I was referring to were that all of those stores are told in flashbacks/flashforwards, and were never the "real time" aspect of any episodes. As far as the non-flashback,non-flashforward aspects of the show, we've only seen ~120 days, with a three-year gap somewhere in the middle.

Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham is mostly flashbacks, with a component taking place after the crash of 316 (which is the first time we really meet Ceasar, I think)

One could say in S4 that the island stuff are the flashbacks.

EliCash

I can also proudly say that I've been there since Day 1. I remember knowing nothing about LOST beforehand whatsoever but, then I saw it was on and thought why not? Sounds decent.

And now here I am.

How 'bout that.

I think the next 2 episodes might rival the back to back of Walkabout and White Rabbit...well probably not, but they're going to be dope nonetheless.

Calcaneus

I started with the pilot, but somewhere in the middle of S1 I missed a few episodes and lost track. After watching Do No Harm though, I was back in hard. I don't think I've missed an episode live since at least the end of Season 2 (and the only reason I missed episodes that season was because of the dumb scheduling).

I was also spoiled by the Season 3 finale, even though I was still blown the fuck away by the episode. I'm pretty sure that will remain the biggest surprise of the series.

threenote

Banned
So what are the worst episodes of Lost...ever?

Now, don't get offended by this--it's only my opinion

1. Fire+Water
2. What Kate Does
3. Stranger in a Strange Land
4. Glass Ballerina
5. The Other Woman
6. Eggtown

Fire+ Water is obviously one of the most embarassing things to watch. Charlie acts out of character, as does Locke. Now, I actually liked the flashback of this episode. The rest of the episodes on my list are straightforward (lol Bai Ling lol).

However, What Kate Does nearly ruined Lost for me. The episode seemed to provide too many cheap surprises (Ethan, Darkness, Claire in the end), and the acting was off (except for Josh Holloway, who was exceptional). Furthermore, I am not digging the whole "darkness" ordeal with Sayid and Claire--I just found the whole thing to be cheesy and unsatisfying.

Jack and everyone else in the Temple reminded me of the cages in Season 3 for some reason--and the same frustration was there. Jack seemed frustrated himself.

I guess I might take a break from the show for a while, I don't know. I have faith in the producers, and I think this episode was just a hiccup, but if I feel that I will be ultimately frustrated if I do not watch the remaining S6 episodes in a row.

Again don't be offended, this is just my opinion; I still love Lost.

Aesius

I actually gave up on the show part of the way through season 3. After "I Do" and the subsequent hiatus, I just had no interest in the show at all anymore and stopped watching.

It wasn't until I randomly downloaded "Tricia Tanaka is Dead" on my iPod a few weeks after it aired and saw Hurley jump-start the Dharma Van and cruise around with Charlie, Jin, Sawyer, and Vincent that I regained my faith in the show. I still consider that to be one of the best moments of the entire show - I still can't help but get a huge smile on my face every time I watch it.

threenote

Banned
Solo said:
Yeah S4 was torture with the whole writer's strike. The wait was miserable. :lol

Solo

threenote said:

5. The Other Woman
6. Eggtown

These two are both good. Not great, not among the classics, but good.

Catalix

ErasureAcer said:
Where's the new topic for this week's episode? It was supposed to be up yesterday, no?
To cut down on pre-episode clutter, the new threads will go up a few hours before the episode airs.

SpeedingUptoStop

threenote said:

1. Fire+Water
2. What Kate Does
3. Stranger in a Strange Land
4. Glass Ballerina
5. The Other Woman
6. Eggtown
1. Stranger in a Strange Land
2. Par Avion
3. Expose
4. ...And Found
5. The Variable

Yaweee

Solo said:
One could say in S4 that the island stuff are the flashbacks.

Yeah, I realized that loop hole right after I posted and had come back to address that.

Regardless, every single episode of the show is anchored against (features a bit during) one of the following timeframes:

- 815 crash to the helicopter crash survivors being rescued by Penny.
- The Time Skips leading up to Dharmaville/The beginning of LaFleur
- Locke's Funeral to The Incident (2007/8 events)
- The later parts of LaFluer to The Incident (1977 events)

and after that, the timelines merge and we're only one or two days after The Incident 2007/8.

Nameless

What's crazy is that what we're seeing now in Season 6 is just a litlle over a week after "We have to go back Kate" at the end of season 3 :lol

KevinCow

Banned
Solo said:

There are plenty of hints there once you know about it, but when you're watching it for the first time and 100% of all episodes have had flashbacks, the idea that they'd do something so drastically different like that wouldn't even cross most people's minds. If they'd had a week between parts 1 and 2 instead of both being on the same night, I'm sure more people would have marinated over it and figured it out.

I remember noting that the TV in the hospital was a flatscreen and probably wouldn't have been around in '04 or earlier, but just passed it off as a production error. A similar thing happened in Ji Yeon, where I noticed Jin's brick phone, but they'd already shown Sun in the future so I didn't really think much of it.

Solo

Nameless said:
What's crazy is that what we're seeing now in Season 6 is just a litlle over a week since "We have to go back Kate" at the end of season 3 :lol

Crazier is that Locke has technically been dead since TTLG.

Yaweee

Nameless said:
What's crazy is that what we're seeing now in Season 6 is just a litlle over a week since "We have to go back Kate" at the end of season 3 :lol

yaaaaaaaaaaay somebody understands what the fuck I was trying to say!

Solo said:
Crazier is that Locke has technically been dead since TTLG.

We've had three finales in a row involving dead Locke.

- Locke in a closed coffin
- Locke in an open coffin
- Locke's dead ass dumped on the beach

Can we go for the superfecta? If Smokey dies during the finale, I guess that will count. Or if Locke gets resurrected and re-killed.

gdt

Fire + Water
Stranger
Further Instructions
Glass Ballerina (minus that badass Jack/Ben scene)

Those are the weakest episodes, IMO.

No way Eggtown/What Kate Does belong anywhere near those (both are good, not great).

The Kate hate gets crazy sometimes.

Calcaneus

I don't know why, but I was more pissed off at The Other Woman than many of the famous bad episodes. The flashback was pretty meh, and the main plot was filler brought on because Daniel and Charlotte refused to just be straight about what they were doing. Basically, I didn't like the episode for the same reasons people don't like What Kate Does.

threenote

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Fire + Water
Stranger
Further Instructions
Glass Ballerina (minus that badass Jack/Ben scene)

Those are the weakest episodes, IMO.

No way Eggtown/What Kate Does belong anywhere near those (both are good, not great).

The Kate hate gets crazy sometimes.
I love Kate. I just hate those episodes.

Solo

Jack is always selfish, always has been, good sirs. But I dont intend to get into this again. Search and youll find many of my S4/S5 Jack hate tirades :lol :lol I like him in S1, but from the end of that onwards....

Solo

threenote said:
Jack is the best. He's the main character after all. I guess solo is bitter because Locke is dead and Jack is ALIVE! :lol

False x 2. My Jack distaste was known long before Locke died, and Ive never had a problem with Jack being the lead. Hes just such a fucking moron throughout 75% of the show. That alone I can handle, but coupled with his refusal to listen to anybody about anything? Hate.

Lakitu

st5fu
SpeedingUptoStop said:
1. Stranger in a Strange Land
2. Par Avion
3. Expose
4. ...And Found
5. The Variable

Wow, I love that episode.

For me... in season order.

What Kate Did
Fire + Water
The Glass Ballerina
I Do
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Other Woman
LaFleur (yes.)

threenote said:
Jack is the best. He's the main character after all. I guess solo is bitter because Locke is dead and Jack is ALIVE! :lol

Jack may be the main character, but he is far from the most interesting character.

EliCash

I re-watched Confidence Man earlier, I lolled @

"Wow, man. That was awesome. I mean, that was like a... Jedi moment"

The way Hurley says it is epic.

Edit...but yeah season 1 Jack is awesome. And he wasn't a self-appointed leader, he said he wasn't a leader - everyone treated him like one though.

I've always liked Jack, I've always liked everyone mostly. It looks like he's going to be excellent in Season 6.

Theres only one real leader though. And I'm waiting for him to come back.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Locke is the main character of Lost. He's the boss of all bosses. And 99% the reason to watch Lost.

EliCash said:
I re-watched Confidence Man earlier, I lolled @

"Wow, man. That was awesome. I mean, that was like a... Jedi moment"

The way Hurley says it is epic.

How funny. That is the exact episdoe I stopped on last night.

threenote

Banned
We have alot of Jack hatred here. :lol

I find that Jack's imperfections make him such a great and realistic character.

Furthermore, Jack is not a self appointed leader--you must have missed the entire first season to make a claim like that; Jack never wanted to lead.

Catalix

threenote said:
However, What Kate Does nearly ruined Lost for me. The episode seemed to provide too many cheap surprises (Ethan, Darkness, Claire in the end), and the acting was off (except for Josh Holloway, who was exceptional). Furthermore, I am not digging the whole "darkness" ordeal with Sayid and Claire--I just found the whole thing to be cheesy and unsatisfying.

Jack and everyone else in the Temple reminded me of the cages in Season 3 for some reason--and the same frustration was there. Jack seemed frustrated himself.

I guess I might take a break from the show for a while, I don't know. I have faith in the producers, and I think this episode was just a hiccup, but if I feel that I will be ultimately frustrated if I do not watch the remaining S6 episodes in a row.

Again don't be offended, this is just my opinion; I still love Lost.
Sorry to hear that. I definitely get your complaints about this past episode, I had the very same ones as well.

Have faith, though. I'm sure What Kate Does wasn't a trend. Every season has their sub-par entries. And the latest story developments (the darkness, etc) might not be handled as poorly as we're imagining.

Besides, incoming BOSS episode! I say, descide on bailing "live watch" after this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom