• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost 06.04: "The Substitute" (dir. Cain; Belushi, Gossett Jr., Dawn Chong)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Solo said:
Pray tell, what were the DI doing that was so bad that warranted their being wiped out? What was the threat they posed to the island? If Jacob had issues with them and their research, he could have gotten rid of them 20 years earlier.

They come
34pz60o.jpg

They fight
24ytpgk.jpg

They destroy
2h3yb81.jpg

They corrupt
sfz1w5.jpg

14dn48l.jpg

Nameless

Solo said:
But if Jacob is omniscient as he appears to be, why not just prevent them from ever coming to the island? I suppose this is evidence for the MIB. "They come. They fight. They destroy. They corrupt. It always ends the same." Perhaps this was yet another failed Jacob experiment (letting the DI come).

2n85wl3.gif

:D

Live Together Die Alone:

T1_0216_backesap.jpg

JGS

Banned
DocX said:
So who said "Helllp meeeee" to Locke when he was at the cabin? Theories! Stat! :)

Why couldn't it have been Jacob? He could have been locked up in the cabin for protection, freed inadvertantly by someone (Hurley?) and returned to the foot, waiting for Smokey to kill him.

However, I vaguely thought Ben said to Locke that it was all a hoax or was he talking about everything other than the "help me" part?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Solo said:
Like I said, Im basing this on Jacob's ability to seemingly see the future (how else would he know a 10 year old little klepto girl should be brought to the island?). As such, why would he allow the DI to come in the first place knowing how things would end?

Jacob said it was progress. He's not trying to make a utopia.

The DI being there helped the plane crash for one.

Blader5489 said:
Yeah, I really hope they tie in Walt into this plot about candidates and Jacob needing a replacement.
I didn't look that closely but was his name on the wall? Would explain their interest in him at the Season 1 finale...

But if Ben never even talked to Jacob, not sure how he could know that Walt was the one he was after as a replacement, right?

Blader

highroller said:
I didn't look that closely but was his name on the wall? Would explain their interest in him at the Season 1 finale...

But if Ben never even talked to Jacob, not sure how he could know that Walt was the one he was after as a replacement, right?

Richard talks to Jacob and gives his instructions to Ben.

Yaweee

highroller said:

We didn't see his name, but only 50 of the 300+ names written on the walls were readable from the angles in The Substitute.

Nameless said:
Not to turn this into a religious debate, Jacob knows there's enough of that on GAF. But billion dollar theological question remains: If there's really an omnipotent and omniscient God, who loves us no less, why does he allow all of this death, destruction, and suffering to happen? This is why I can't consider Jacob the "good guy" unless all of the carnage he's facilitated, all of the death he's allowed is somehow out weighed by a greater good. I mean really, he comes all the way to L.A. to give Hurley's fat ass a guitar case, why couldn't he have come a week early and been like "Hey Ben, Locke is cool..don't fuck with him" ? He did locke a solid after the whole Cooper/window debacle, why not one more? But no, he goes about his business and let's the BOSS die. Fuckin prick.
With the question about God, I have no idea. But with Jacob, I would argue, and it would be pointless since we know very little about him at this point, that the progess he's searching for requires free will. People have to make their own decisions for their own reasons. He brings them to the island so they can help protect it, sure. But I think that he allows these things to happen because he wants people to keep their free will.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So I know this has been covered a million times already in all probability, but the versions of it I read on here were not quite the same as I am thinking.

The losties are the variables in the equation obviously based on the cave wall, BUT, i don't think the equation ever changes.

I think the numbers are always the same and the people that represent each number are the variable. So for instance, I think someone is going to slot into Locke's number four slot.

So 4 8 15 16 23 42 have been the variables for hundreds of years, but Jacob keeps bringing new candidates to the island as variables to try in the equation, Once he gets the right variables in the right place "it ends."

At least that is my take on it.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
JGS said:
Why couldn't it have been Jacob? He could have been locked up in the cabin for protection, freed inadvertantly by someone (Hurley?) and returned to the foot, waiting for Smokey to kill him.

However, I vaguely thought Ben said to Locke that it was all a hoax or was he talking about everything other than the "help me" part?
I think it pretty much had to have been MIB inside that cabin. It feels like the writers left all the clues, Locke and Ben having to walk over the ash on the ground surrounding the cabin, MIB saying "Help me" (i.e. "Help me get off the island"), Ben lying like always pretending to be talking to Jacob.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The Big Rig said:
Just saw Dogen in Sunshine. It was on Sci Fi this afternoon, and he's actually a pretty good actor. Although, his tongue must have tasted terrible through out the film.
Relatively speaking, he should be recognizable to casual western film fans. He's been in Speed Racer, Sunshine, The Last Samurai and Rush Hour 3, plus The Twilight Samurai and some of the Ringu movies. I was really excited when he was cast for Lost, and doubly so when it turned out his character could speak English (I didn't want to only experience him through a translator).

oatmeal

Banned
Any chance Ben was somehow showing Juliet her sister in an alternate universe where she didn't have Cancer? And she's actually dead? :O

Solo

Nameless said:
Without question. After shooting Locke, Ben come's back to the Others' camp and orders that they hit the Losties camp a day early. Richard asks him why he responds "Hwants it to happen now". I'm sure are other examples.

This is another thing that doesnt make any sense given what direction they ended up taking things in. We know that Richard KNOWS Ben doesnt talk to Jacob (no one actually ever talks to Jacob outside of Richard), so why go along with this plan?

Better still, why did Richard never pipe up when Ben started going on about fertility and shit being the primary goal?

LOST S1-S3: Making Shit Up On The Fly (TM) :lol

duckroll

Solo said:
This is another thing that doesnt make any sense given what direction they ended up taking things in. We know that Richard KNOWS Ben doesnt talk to Jacob (no one actually ever talks to Jacob outside of Richard), so why go along with this plan?

Better still, why did Richard never pipe up when Ben started going on about fertility and shit being the primary goal?

I don't know if you can really assume that Richard knows everything, or that Richard talks to Jacob all the time (or at all) honestly. It seems to me that Jacob gave Richard a responsibility a long time ago, and Richard believes in his task so strongly that he does not feel the need to question it much. If his duty is to act as an advisor for the current leader of the Others, and to subsequently select the next leader of the Others, then there is no reason for him to really question the leader. If Ben says he's spoken to Jacob, then Richard accepts that because he has accepted that Ben is the leader.

gdt

I don't see why people are so averse to Bernard and Rose being Adam and Eve.

It was a mystery introduced early in S1 and then NEVER brought up again. It's not a big deal at all.

And them being AnE makes sense.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
gdt5016 said:

It was a mystery introduced early in S1 and then NEVER brought up again. It's not a big deal at all.

-in the podcast they said they like to answer who all dead bodies shown are and either implied or directly stated they will revisit it.

- people like to figure out unknowns

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
gdt5016 said:

the fact that it makes so much sense is exactly why i am for it. i see no reason for it not to be them. i guess the question is whether you just want the bodies to make sense within the context of the show's logic (that's me), or if you want to use them as some sort of cipher for reading the meaning of the entire show. i just don't think it has to be the latter.

JGS

Banned
sykoex said:
I think it pretty much had to have been MIB inside that cabin. It feels like the writers left all the clues, Locke and Ben having to walk over the ash on the ground surrounding the cabin, MIB saying "Help me" (i.e. "Help me get off the island"), Ben lying like always pretending to be talking to Jacob.

How could it be MIB? If the ash was keeping him in, then he wouldn't have been able to manifest as Smokie unless they started as two entities and were able to merge after the the ash was broken.

Also, Ben was apparently working for Jacob even though Jacob didn't value him which is why Richard felt Ben was the leader.

Also, Jacob had been missing in action from the crash up to the time he visits Hugo at the hospital (or possibly when he visited Illana in the hospital) meaning he was more likely to be the one who was trapped. EDIT - He also visited Sayid, but it's still that time frame.

My personal opinion has always been that there is a third person (I think of it as the Island representive) and it could have been the one in trouble too.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
JGS said:
How could it be MIB? If the ash was keeping him in, then he wouldn't have been able to manifest as Smokie unless they started as two entities and were able to merge after the the ash was broken.

I tried to bring this up, that Smokie and MiB are somehow separate entities (or at least are able to separate) but everyone just scoffed at me. There's no other way to explain the "it was MiB trapped in Jacob's cabin" theory because Smokie was running around all over the place while whoever it was was residing in the cabin.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
JGS said:

The cabin that holds the MIB was built during the Dharma time.

The monster was roaming when Danielle landed and it's been in the jungle ever since then, but we've never seen it explicitly before the French team wreckage (other than the statue conversation with Jacob).

I'm really hoping we'll get an indication or flashback of the MIB's original "capture" at some point this season.

Dead

well not really...yet
Heres what I think is behind the Cabin

- Jacob started using it to give Richard orders (after Richard started bitching about having to walk to the statue every time!)

- They put the ash around it so MIB could not go in and mess with Richard

- Ash is broken (some wild boar did it? dunno lol. Or maybe it was Christian who did it)

- Jacob sees Cabin as compromised, goes back to statue

- Ben takes Locke to the Cabin knowing that Jacob no longer uses it (Either Ben found out about the cabin himself or Richard told him, either way he was never allowed to meet Jacob there)

Yaweee

ApopkaATM said:
This was just on the front of huffington post....

20l1bbd.png

I have no idea what it means. :lol :lol :lol

From the article:

People got sick of seeing Stephanopoulos' mug on the picture every week, and frankly, I got sick of reading all of your emails, complaining about it! So, there you go.

Anyway, we've gotta go back, Kate...WE HAVE TO GO BACK!

The dude obviously doesn't watch Lost much.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Panda Bear said:
With the question about God, I have no idea. But with Jacob, I would argue, and it would be pointless since we know very little about him at this point, that the progess he's searching for requires free will. People have to make their own decisions for their own reasons. He brings them to the island so they can help protect it, sure. But I think that he allows these things to happen because he wants people to keep their free will.
A lot of people pretty much make the same argument for the biblical God as you did for Jacob; they're both supposedly big proponents of human free will.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that the Jacob character (specifically his frustratingly obtuse methods) has been a blatant God metaphor, so far anyway.

JGS

Banned
I like these points in principle so I'm not arguing, but..

Dead said:
Heres what I think is behind the Cabin

- Jacob started using it to give Richard orders (after Richard started bitching about having to walk to the statue every time!)

But Richard also took orders from whoever he thought led the Others, including Ben & Locke. He did what they told him to even against his own better judgement.

Dead said:
- Jacob sees Cabin as compromised, goes back to statue

Is there ash around the statue? It appears after this episode that Jacob has a few bases of operation and the ash wasn't a concern at them. I'm thinking the ash is more for the protection of those wishing to see Jacob because it is a deterrent for his enemy. Jacob may have only dealt with others at the cabin, but only with Richard at the statue. This may explain why Hurley was able to see the cabin since he may be a "chosen one" & why he saw others in the cabin.

Dead said:
- Ben takes Locke to the Cabin knowing that Jacob no longer uses it (Either Ben found out about the cabin himself or Richard told him, either way he was never allowed to meet Jacob there)

I think Ben knew where the cabin was by Richard which is why Richard allowed him to venture off with Locke, the person Richard felt was the new leader. However, Richard is the mediator and Ben was never able to directly talk to Jacob which is why he was lying to Locke about talking to the invisible man in the chair.

Like I said, I'm still holding out for the possibility of a 3rd option too.

Nameless

joey_z said:
Lame dude. I'm happy and all that we won, but no need to shit up this thread with childish posts like this.

communist

Solo said:

Richard knows Ben is full of it, but he's not going to out right challenge him in that situation. Richard had made it known that he disagrees with Ben's focus on fertility issues and the like, and he's already going behind is back trying to bring Locke into the leadership role. Ben lies, that's modus operandi, being the big fish and name dropping the bigger fish is an easy one to justify questionable command decisions.

JGS

Banned
Nameless said:
communist

Richard knows Ben is full of it, but he's not going to out right challenge him in that situation. Richard had made it known that he disagrees with Ben's focus on fertility issues and the like, and he's already going behind is back trying to bring Locke into the leadership role. Ben lies, that's modus operandi, being the big fish and name dropping the bigger fish is an easy one to justify questionable command decisions.

The way that story develops in my mind is amazing.

I think Jacob chose Ben as the leader, but Ben was hindered by his love for his daughter which was the main reason he was trying to solve the fertility issue. He knew his daughter and her boyfriend were inevitably going to hook up. Widmore was correct from an Others standpoint that Ben should have killed Rousseau & Alex.

Since he lost his focus, Richard had lost confidence in Ben & Jacob was just using him all along in the first place. Locke, especially after the overwhelming amount of prophetic proofs, was the chosen one to Richard- especially since he was cold-blooded enough to kill his own dad. However, it appears that Richard thought he was the chosen one without consulting Jacob about it.

Ironically, Locke not being the one to kill his dad showed he was not qualified as a leader of the Others since he couldn't actually go through with it. Since he was unqualified while everyone else thought he was the man (Including Locke himself), this made him the perfect stooge for Smokie UnLocke.

Yaweee

Not sure if anybody commented on the most recent "NEVER SEEN LOST" yet:
http://neverseenlost.wordpress.com/2010/02/17/episode-3-of-the-final-season-of-lost/

Before we begin. Was it just me or did it seem like the writers realized it was their last season and they had to tie a bunch of loose ends together? Watching this I just kept imaging a college kid who didn’t realize his midterm paper was due tomorrow so was scrambling to pull an all-nighter and just started making up facts. You know what I mean? Course you do. Personally I think the writers jumped the gun because they clearly explained everything in this one episode. All in the last 5 minutes no less.
I have no idea what anyone’s name is anymore. I thought the Rebel was named Sawyer but the Sad Day Monster kept calling him James Ford. I though the portly gentleman was named Hurley but apparently his name is Hugo Reyes. Again, shame on the LOST writers for naming a huge person Hugo. It’s probably glandular. I’m pretty bad with names to begin with, so this is not helping.

John was the focus of tonight’s episode in “The World Where LOST Doesn’t Exist Because the Plane Didn’t Crash” (never thought about that, did ya?). Man, does his life suck. I am pretty sure the writers just copied a bunch of FML’s to write his storyline.
She clearly is lying because if you have terminal cancer you probably shouldn’t be working as a manager at a temp agency. You should be on a remote tropical island.

This is supposed to be a sad funeral where he gets buried. I assume so at least. No one wants to say anything until Nerdlinger admits John was a better man than him (that’s a long list) and he is sorry for murdering him. No one really reacts to his confession. This island needs a judicial system of some sort.

Dead

well not really...yet
JGS said:
The way that story develops in my mind is amazing.

I think Jacob chose Ben as the leader, but Ben was hindered by his love for his daughter which was the main reason he was trying to solve the fertility issue. He knew his daughter and her boyfriend were inevitably going to hook up. Widmore was correct from an Others standpoint that Ben should have killed Rousseau & Alex.

Since he lost his focus, Richard had lost confidence in Ben & Jacob was just using him all along in the first place. Locke, especially after the overwhelming amount of prophetic proofs, was the chosen one to Richard- especially since he was cold-blooded enough to kill his own dad. However, it appears that Richard thought he was the chosen one without consulting Jacob about it.

Ironically, Locke not being the one to kill his dad showed he was not qualified as a leader of the Others since he couldn't actually go through with it. Since he was unqualified while everyone else thought he was the man (Including Locke himself), this made him the perfect stooge for Smokie UnLocke.
this makes way too much sense :lol

Blader

Solo said:

Ben is still the leader and Richard still has to do what he says.

Yaweee said:
Not sure if anybody commented on the most recent "NEVER SEEN LOST" yet:
http://neverseenlost.wordpress.com/2010/02/17/episode-3-of-the-final-season-of-lost/
I think this is the biggest barrier for people to watch Lost. I dvr-ed the recap for my mother who stopped watching 4 episodes into S1. I watched it with her to help fill in the gaps, and it was a pretty terrible way to catch up. Characters and events fly by so quickly, I had to pause the recording multiple times so that my mom could take it in. Reading this is just further proof that a serialized show of this depth can be so difficult to gain followers.
When you can watch every episode (like we have taken the time to) its a much more rewarding experience than something like CSI or even great shows like House (even Chuck to an extent).

Yaweee

Solo said:
But why is Ben the leader in the first place if Jacob never chose him?

Are we sure that Jacob never chose him? We're still missing quite a bit of information about how leaders are chosen, and even if Jacob never talked to Ben (he's not the most open and honest guy), he still could have told Richard at some point to make Ben the leader.

MMaRsu

Banned
So I was watching A Perfect Getaway last night, and first thing I came across was the wall that Boone & Locke both scaled. With the vines hanging on it? Also Eko.

I can't believe that Nikki actually got a major movie role, she was actually pretty good too!

kiele-sanchez-perfect-getaway.jpg

Solo

Yaweee said:
Are we sure that Jacob never chose him? We're still missing quite a bit of information about how leaders are chosen, and even if Jacob never talked to Ben (he's not the most open and honest guy), he still could have told Richard at some point to make Ben the leader.

You'd think that if Jacob actually chose Ben that he would actually let Ben see him/communicate with him, which he didnt. Also "what about you?" also seems to make it quite clear that Jacob has no regard for Ben whatsoever, let alone choosing him to lead.

Again, I think this is simply one of these things that the writers never fully got fleshed out in time (like Smokey), so there are inconsistencies/holes (like with Smokey).

JGS

Banned
Yaweee said:

I think it is clearer that Ben was chosen than Locke.

We have to remember that Jacob has to work with what he's got and the choices really came down to Widmore or Ben. Ben was the lesser of two evils.

Yaweee

Solo said:
You'd think that if Jacob actually chose Ben that he would actually let Ben see him/communicate with him, which he didnt. Also "what about you?" also seems to make it quite clear that Jacob has no regard for Ben whatsoever, let alone choosing him to lead.

Again, I think this is simply one of these things that the writers never fully got fleshed out in time (like Smokey), so there are inconsistencies/holes (like with Smokey).

It could just be inconsistencies or hole, but the tidbits in Whatever Happened, Happened, Dead is Dead, or The Man Behind the Curtain seems to imply that there was something genuinely special or interesting about Ben (or both he and Richard were manipulated by Smokey to create the illusion of it). Strangely, Widmore (the leader at the time), disagreed with Richard's decision to bring Ben to the Temple. But then again, there's also hints of Widmore being a douche and assuming too much about Jacob's will.

WIDMORE: What have you done, Richard?

RICHARD: Calm down. Calm down. This has nothing to do with you.

WIDMORE: So it's true? You actually brought one of them to our Temple?

RICHARD: He's just a boy, and he was dying.

WIDMORE: Then you should've let him die.

RICHARD: Jacob wanted it done. The Island chooses who the Island chooses. You know that.

JGS

Banned
Solo said:

In many religions, the disciples don't have direct contact. They communicate through the priest/prophet (Richard). In many cases, they do interact with their god but it is indirectly or in ways they don't see.

Ben is unique because I think Jacob used him but never actually viewed him as a real leader, more like a placeholder. For all we know, Jacob may not have a need for someone to lead. It's just a construct to help his followers be unified.

Solo

I am very disappointed in all of you, LOST-GAF, for posting 1000 times more in the fucking Kate thread than in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom