• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey Finally Backward Compatible on XB1

Scrawnton

I bought a copy of this with all the original packaging and booklets for $6 at Gamestop three months ago in anticipation. I'm glad my foresight paid off!

GWX

Do you live in USA? There's a GameStop at every shopping mall and I haven't yet found a GameStop that does not have Lost Odyssey

Brazil. Copies of the game are quite expensive here, sadly. I really wanted to try this out :(

Izuna

Banned
For those playing this the first time, don't use the Prima Game Guide, it's missing a seed for the Treasure Trove achievement -- aka the most bullshit and rewarding Achievement in an RPG

Izuna

Banned
34685-cry-on.jpg

When will this l be BC? ;)

;(

Blue Dragon, now there was a good time!

BD is a great game. I will say that the gameplay changes for the better at harder difficulty, but you have to download that dlc or update or whatever it was.

Fun job system, very sharp visually. I always thoughf it very underrated graphically. It has a cartoony sort of style that IMO is nintendo-like in a good way.

Izuna

Banned
BD is a great game. I will say that the gameplay changes for the better at harder difficulty, but you have to download that dlc or update or whatever it was.

Fun job system, very sharp visually. I always thoughf it very underrated graphically. It has a cartoony sort of style that IMO is nintendo-like in a good way.

Hard Mode for first playthrough isn't something I would recommend, it would be good for a New Game Plus though.

Hard Mode's biggest problem was how Magic was the only useful skill for like the first half of the game.

BOTEC

Anyone have any experience with different region games? I have the Japanese and Asian versions of Lost Odyssey, wondering if they will work on a US Xbone. I seem to recall hearing something about the 360 emulator being region free? Am I making that up?

Gestault

I can barely get across how much this means to me. Lost Odyssey is among my favorite games ever.

I would immediately double-dip on a digital copy.

there is no level grind.....game actually discourages it. Great way to learn how to use your mind for fighting monsters and bosses turned based strategically.

Also two copies plus 1 day shipping is cheaper on gamestop than amazon LOL.

Uhhh

It's a bit hard. But LO's gimmick it the Thousand Years of Stories thing, which is basically a bunch of short stories throughout the game detailing Kaim's past. They can make you laugh or cry...

Mostly cry

--

Thanks folks, I'm intrigued. Think I'll take the punt on it and give it a go :)

TEJ

I just played up to the first save point. My memory might be a bit fuzzy but wasn't the aim ring a part of the first battle in the 360 version? I didn't see it here.

sensui-tomo

I just played up to the first save point. My memory might be a bit fuzzy but wasn't the aim ring a part of the first battle in the 360 version? I didn't see it here.

not the first battle, its going to show up during these next few tutorial fights

i don't think that comes up until you get rings later, no? it's been a long time

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Brazil. Copies of the game are quite expensive here, sadly. I really wanted to try this out :(

It sounds like region coding won't be a problem. NA copies are pretty cheap, you should order one online before the inevitable price hike.

Damn good JRPG! Much of it feels like stuff I have seen before but it does it so well that I don't care. It's end game activities and things you can do before the end boss are quite plentiful. Lots of sidequests to get ultimate weapons and optional bosses to find once you
get the airship and submarine
. Reminds me of games like FF VI and VII in this regard.

Yikes, don't even have an Xbox One but I kinda want to plug my 360 in again to play this masterpiece. And Blue Dragon and maybe a little Shenmue 2. And Otogi if that was compatible. :(

KiraXD

it was literally Dragon Quest Redux... i kinda still hate the Random Encounters of Lost Odyssey... which is why i think i loved Blue Dragon so much... also... fucking Takeshi Obata (Death Note) drew the manga version...

eJyxunG.png

I LOVE Blue Dragon if you cant tell..

KingBroly

Banned
The tower of mirrors + cutscenes is what I tested.

To expand on it: you can only play the game with disc 1. The other discs simply don't work, you'll get an error message saying that this 360 game isn't compatible with the XB1if you insert any disc other than disc 1.

That's both very nice and very weird at the same time.

this is weird... so essentially... there IS a digital version? i cant imagine the entire game is on one disc (since it needed 4) so how does it install the whole game from disc one?

All BC 360 games are fully downloaded games. They only check the disc to make sure you have the game and download everything else. Game data is not copied from your 360 disc.

There is likely some legal/rights-related reason why the game is not available digitally since there is certainly not a technical issue.

That's both very nice and very weird at the same time.

It makes perfect sense. If you had to swap discs, that would be a pointless pain in the ass. If you could use any of the discs, people would be selling their discs 2-4 on eBay or giving them to friends.

Top Bottom