• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey to steal TGS and save the 360 in Japan?

Mau ®

Nameless said:
Microsoft shouldn't even worry about the Japanese, this isn't 1993. Japan isn't needed to have an ubersuccessful console, as the original Xbox proved.

Dying too early and without any substansial support is a success?

The Japanese market is a must. Look at the DS sales, most of them account from Japan.

xaosslug

TheTrin said:
You have to be in Japan to truly understand how dead in the water the 360 truly is. I brought my Famitsu to work today to show some of my students Lost Odyssey.

Here's how it went:

Student: Wow, this looks really beautiful. The interface is very much like FF.
Me: Yea. The creator of FF is working on it!
Student: Wow! This looks promising.
Me: It's on Xbox 360!
Student: It is? That's too bad. I guess I won't play it then.

:lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
OverHeat said:
That student....deserve a kick in the balls
kick_in_the_balls_2005-04-13.jpg

How about not being a complete shithead? My students are great people. They have this thing called opinions. Perhaps you should learn to appreciate them. Idiot.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So, Trin, out of honest curiosity, do you think the slew of jRPGs coming for 360 (LO, BD, Tri Ace, Trusty Bell), assuming they get decent marketing and critical praise, will still not put a dent in the average j-gamer with the mindset you posted?

And just because this is GAF I wanna make clear that this isn't a "putting Trin on the spot" question, I'm honestly genuinely curious about his opinion on this.

OverHeat

« generous god »

He said it look promising.....and because its on 360 he wont even try it

thats just stupid.

Nameless

Error2k4 said:
you are crazy

japan is essential if you want to be successful.

not because of the userbase you could get there but because of the software support that you get if you are successful. look at the japanese support the PS3 is getting, MGS4, DMC4 and FF13 are sure fire blockbuster titles that 360 will not have. seriously saying japan is not important is pretty retarded.

and if the original Xbox 'success' is what MS is aiming for... well then they are ****ed.

So I guess the original Xbox was a failure and sucked because it didn't have any of those franchises. Please quote me when I said Japanese support means NOTHING or is not important, because I didnt' say that. All I stated is that it is no longer paramount in order maintain a good console. And by your logic MGS4, DMC4, and FFXIII should all be going to Wii as the PS3 isn't exactly a lock for the Japanese market this time around.

They are going to the PS3 in part because of it's potential in Japan. But more so because the playstation brand has offered far and a way the most popular consoles WORLDWIDE. And those franchises have been a success WORLDWIDE, and with the exception of Final Fantasy have done better in the other markets.

Nameless

inthezone said:

The Japanese market is a must. Look at the DS sales, most of them account from Japan.

Oh you mean like the Gamecube?

MS killed the Xbox to make way for the360.. It didnt' die on it's own merits like the Gamecube did. And the Gamecube>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>In Japan than the Xbox.

Success in Japan didn't help it out much now did it?

3rdman

inthezone said:

The Japanese market is not a must as long as sales in other market make up the difference. Japan isn't the all important market it used to be.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SnakeXs said:
So, Trin, out of honest curiosity, do you think the slew of jRPGs coming for 360 (LO, BD, Tri Ace, Trusty Bell), assuming they get decent marketing and critical praise, will still not put a dent in the average j-gamer with the mindset you posted?

And just because this is GAF I wanna make clear that this isn't a "putting Trin on the spot" question, I'm honestly genuinely curious about his opinion on this.

I think it would generate some interest, for sure. Perhaps a few impulse purchases. In Japan though, what really seems to move units is big names. Lost Odyssey is fighting an uphill battle on all fronts. It's on a system that, despite having a few Japancentric games (Spectral Guardian and such), just isn't selling.

Japanese buyers seem to go with the safe bet. Sony has done good by them for two generations, and their old favorite Nintendo is coming back with some quality titles. This crazy American company Microsoft released with games like Call of Duty 2.

Also, one of my students said something very revealing recently. Many older japanese gamers learn about games by word of mouth, NOT by news sources. Mags like Famitsu tend to be for the younger gamers apparently. Systems, for that reason, don't seem to sell until ads denoting a game's impending release start to appear in stores. It seems sort of backwards, but I guess that's how it works.

For that reason, If LO and BD do indeed move units, it won't be until after the game is out, and people know it exists, and word of mouth spreads that they're quality titles worth playing.

But, how does that work, when the install base is already so low? You have to wonder.

OverHeat said:

thats just stupid.

He won't play it because he's a college student on a limited budget. He's not going to shell out 30000 yen for a game that "looks promising." For that he deserves a kick in the balls? Grow the **** up.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I didnt say the original Xbox is a 'failure' (from a financial standpoint it was definitely a disaster). you said the japanese fanbase isn't important as the European or American one which again you are wrong. every market is important period but the japenese market imo is the most important one, because of the software support it would bring. 360 wont beat the PS3 if it doesnt have Japanese 3rd party support. there is really nothing to argue there.

Oh you mean like the Gamecube?

MS killed the Xbox to make way for the360.. It didnt' die on it's own merits like the Gamecube did. And the Gamecube>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>In Japan than the Xbox.

Success in Japan didn't help it out much now did it?
GC didnt had the amount of support the DS is getting in japan from 3rd parties.

36WiiS3

TheTrin said:
Would you buy a primarily unappealing console for one game?

I am buying a PS3 so I can watch Underworld and a few other HiDef movies thad wont be on HD-dvd on. (unless a dual format player comes out before I can get a HDMI PS3 for $500.00 canadian.):D

thetrin

36WiiS3 said:
I am buying a PS3 so I can watch Underworld and a few other HiDef movies on. (unless a dual format player comes out before I can get a HDMI PS3 for $500.00 canadian.):D

martin_payne3.jpg

OH! You so crazeh!

SnakeXs said:
Define "succeeds".

Okay that's too vague. My fault(half-asleep here).

How about this then? Lost Odyssey must sell 1 million copies before 2008.
If MS/Mistwalker accomplishes that then I'll accept a permaban.

In Japan only of course.

thetrin

jman2050 said:
People still think Lost Odyssey is gonna sell? What the heck are they smoking?

Huffing fumes from the PSU.

Error2k4 said:
you are crazy

japan is essential if you want to be successful.

not because of the userbase you could get there but because of the software support that you get if you are successful. look at the japanese support the PS3 is getting, MGS4, DMC4 and FF13 are sure fire blockbuster titles that 360 will not have. seriously saying japan is not important is pretty retarded.

and if the original Xbox 'success' is what MS is aiming for... well then they are ****ed.

If this is your rationale for why he's crazy, sorry, but that doesn't prove anything. MS has an equal amount of sure fire blockbusters that the PS3 will not have. They have the money to ensure a steady stream of Japanese development. Despite catastrophic performance in Japan, they have ensured a first wave of Japanese developed exclusives.

They are:
Dead Rising
Lost Planet
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey

Dead Rising has already proven to be a moneymaker for Capcom. I have no doubt that at least one of the Mistwalker titles will enjoy the same success. And thus they will have proven to Japanese developers that they can make money on their software worldwide, even as systems languish in their home country.

The exclusives you cite are indeed sure fire blockbusters by third parties. While I don't predict any of them necessarily being ported, they aren't guaranteed exclusives either. MS has ensured that four very high quality premieres of new IP are only available on their system. Personally, this is why I favor the 360 right now. 85% of their most hyped games are all new IPs, and in so many cases, are 360 exclusive. FF aside, the PS3 exclusives you cited have no appeal to me. I'm much more interested in the new franchises MS has secured for the consoles.

C4Lukins

PepsimanVsJoe said:

In Japan only of course.

It should be based on console sales, not just the success of one game. And you didn't say Lost Odyssey must sell 1 million copies in Japan, mwahahhahah.

Edit: Did you edit it! Bastard.

Nameless

Error2k4 said:
I didnt say the original Xbox is a 'failure' (from a financial standpoint it was definitely a disaster). you said the japanese fanbase isn't important as the European or American one which again you are wrong. every market is important period but the japenese market imo is the most important one, because of the software support it would bring. 360 wont beat the PS3 if it doesnt have Japanese 3rd party support. there is really nothing to argue there.

No, actually I said its the least largest market which is a fact. The notion that "omg if we don't win japan our console is dooooooomed11" no longer exists. As I stated in another response, the Gamecube did well in Japan but it was the least successful console this past generation.

I'm not sure where you reside but I'll asume the United States. If Wii does amazing in Japan(as it probably will) but doesn't do well here, it won't even matter as most software won't even be brought over. Just as ane example, if the PS2 was a failure here in the states, do you honestly think we would have been blessed with as much Atlus support as we have this generation?

thetrin

BenjaminBirdie said:
If this is your rationale for why he's crazy, sorry, but that doesn't prove anything. MS has an equal amount of sure fire blockbusters that the PS3 will not have. They have the money to ensure a steady stream of Japanese development. Despite catastrophic performance in Japan, they have ensured a first wave of Japanese developed exclusives.

They are:
Dead Rising
Lost Planet
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey

Dead Rising has already proven to be a moneymaker for Capcom. I have no doubt that at least one of the Mistwalker titles will enjoy the same success. And thus they will have proven to Japanese developers that they can make money on their software worldwide, even as systems languish in their home country.

The exclusives you cite are indeed sure fire blockbusters by third parties. While I don't predict any of them necessarily being ported, they aren't guaranteed exclusives either. MS has ensured that four very high quality premieres of new IP are only available on their system. Personally, this is why I favor the 360 right now. 85% of their most hyped games are all new IPs, and in so many cases, are 360 exclusive. FF aside, the PS3 exclusives you cited have no appeal to me. I'm much more interested in the new franchises MS has secured for the consoles.

Giving japanese companies whackloads of money to develop for 360 is what is bringing these games to the system. It has nothing to do with well placed faith.

3rdman

TheTrin said:
How about not being a complete shithead? My students are great people. They have this thing called opinions. Perhaps you should learn to appreciate them. Idiot.

Man, I'm sorry, but a stupid act is a stupid act. Who cares if they're "great people"...to say they won't even try a product (a product they find interesting, no less) because of a name is stupid...no two ways about it.

Error

BenjaminBirdie: you seriously think BD and LO are gonna sell more than DMC4, MGS4 or FF13? and I dont count LP or DR since capcom will probably put those titles on PS3 too.

we arent talking here about game quality which Im sure those game you mention will be good. i was talking about sales.

No, actually I said its the least largest market which is a fact. The notion that "omg if we don't win japan our console is dooooooomed11" no longer exists. As I stated in another response, the Gamecube did well in Japan but it was the least successful console this past generation.

I'm not sure where you reside but I'll asume the United States. If Wii does amazing in Japan(as it probably will) but doesn't do well here, it won't even matter as most software won't even be brought over. Just as ane example, if the PS2 was a failure here in the states, do you honestly think we would have been blessed with as much Atlus support as we have this generation?
this is possible yeah, but still Wii being successful in Japan and bombing in the states? not sure about that, specially if Wii ends up getting a lot of support from Japanese 3rd parties.

TheTrin said:
Giving japanese companies whackloads of money to develop for 360 is what is bringing these games to the system. It has nothing to do with well placed faith.

Who cares what it has to do with. It's happened, and their feduciary success guarantees that it will continue to happen.

Error2k4 said:

oh no 360 am fail. no win situation. bail out. etc *yawn*
You conviently left out the fact that 360 already does have Japanese 3rd Party support, despite being a horrendous failure in Japan, also the fact that if M$ wants thrid party support, they can just open their wallet and pay cash money for it, so your hypothesis doesn't quite work out. at all.

NeonZ

The GC didn't do "well" in Japan. Better than X-Box? Sure, but the numbers were still very low.

Error

ElectricBlue187 said:
oh no 360 am fail. no win situation. bail out. etc *yawn*
You conviently left out the fact that 360 already does have Japanese 3rd Party support, despite being a horrendous failure in Japan, also the fact that if M$ wants thrid party support, they can just open their wallet and pay cash money for it, so your hypothesis doesn't quite work out. at all.
I know it has japanese 3rd party support.... I didnt say it doesnt.

for how long will that support last once the PS3 is out...? :p

tho most of that 'support' comes from MS pockets.

Error2k4 said:
BenjaminBirdie: you seriously think BD and LO are gonna sell more than DMC4, MGS4 or FF13? and I dont count LP or DR since capcom will probably put those titles on PS3 too.

we arent talking here about game quality which Im sure those game you mention will be good. i was talking about sales.

Yes, No, and No. But regardless of whether or not they sell more, I think they will sell extraordinarily well, globally. They will make money for their publishers and their developers and Japanese developed games will continue to be made for the system.

As a wise and gourmand man once said, "The sun don't rise and set on the corner grocery."

thetrin

3rdman said:
Man, I'm sorry, but a stupid act is a stupid act. Who cares if they're "great people"...to say they won't even try a product (a product they find interesting, no less) because of a name is stupid...no two ways about it.

It's not because of the ****ing name. Get it through your head! The system has VERY FEW games in Japan! Imagine a system full of strange japanese mahjong games, and one terrible FPS launching in America. Now imagine how that would sell.

That's what you get in Japan with 360 at the moment.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yes, No, and No. But regardless of whether or not they sell more, I think they will sell extraordinarily well, globally. They will make money for their publishers and their developers and Japanese developed games will continue to be made for the system.

As a wise and gourmand man once said, "The sun don't rise and set on the corner grocery."

An excellent argument...that has absolutely zero bearing on this topic. We're talking about JAPAN here. And JAPAN doesn't give a shit about 360. The End.

Error2k4 said:
I know it has japanese 3rd party support.... I didnt say it doesnt.

for how long will that support last once the PS3 is out...? :p

although i agree with you on almost all your points, it's pretty clear that Capcom wants to continue to support the thing. I don't think its that much of a leap of faith to believe that other pubs are seeing their success and want a piece of it as well.

Error

btw I like this discussion, none of that retarded fanboyish bullshit. good job guys!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
PepsimanVsJoe said:

In Japan only of course.
hey fella

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Trin I applaud your attempts to defend your students... but you're fighting a losing battle. Folks here feel that your students are entitled to their own opinions. Regardless of who agrees and/or disagrees with them.

bish: How in the hell do you keep doing that?!?!?

LevelNth

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Who cares what it has to do with. It's happened, and their feduciary success guarantees that it will continue to happen.
Wha? 2 of the 4 games you listed probably wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for MS so desperately tossing out coin. I highly doubt anyone else would've thrown Mistwalker the kind of money MS did.

Does anyone else think "Lost Odyssey" just sounds like a total bite on "Final Fantasy"? It has the same rhyme and same subtext. For shame Sakaguchi!

LevelNth said:
Wha? 2 of the 4 games you listed probably wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for MS so desperately tossing out coin. I highly doubt anyone else would've thrown Mistwalker the kind of money MS did.
What does the money have to do with the existence and the quality of the the games themselves?

I can't believe two people posted the same weak rebuttle in such a short time.

LevelNth said:

Wha? Again, who cares why it happened. They secured the development of these titles with tons of cash and the titles themselves will sell enough worldwide to ensure that they won't have to shell out tons of cash to get these developers to continue making them for the system.

But I've already been chastised for talking about worldwide performance in this thread. Start thinking about Gamecube's place in history if you want to stick around in this one.

I really don't think Microsoft 'needs' Japan or japanese gamers. The only thing they need from Japan is japanese developers, who like money, a substance microsoft is not in short supply of.

Sure it would really be great for them if they all bought 360's but they've already flubbed up both launches and it's simply not going to happen.

Nameless

Error2k4 said:

this is possible yeah, but still Wii being successful in Japan and bombing in the states? not sure about that, specially if Wii ends up getting a lot of support from Japanese 3rd parties.

But seriously, if Sony outsells the competition by 80million again its not really going to matter. MS and Nintendo will have to rely on 1st/2nd party efforts, and fight for 3rd party scraps with Sony getting the bulk of the support..

And if 360 owners continue to show their willingness to buy software it will lead to more support. The Cube wasn't that far behind MS in the US, but third party software sold horribly on the system which led to a massive decrease in support.

And for me I enjoyed the contrast that the PS2 and Xbox offered with software. PS3 and 360 will likely offer the same thing. Because of this there is actually a point to owning multiple consoles.

thetrin

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wha? Again, who cares why it happened. They secured the development of these titles with tons of cash and the titles themselves will sell enough worldwide to ensure that they won't have to shell out tons of cash to get these developers to continue making them for the system.

But I've already been chastised for talking about worldwide performance in this thread. Start thinking about Gamecube's place in history if you want to stick around in this one.

You were chastised for talking about worldwide 360 performance in a thread about LO saving 360 IN JAPAN. Or did you forget what thread you're in?

Tony HoTT

Banned
OverHeat said:

thats just stupid.
He's a ****ing kid leave him alone!

For one there isn't shit for Xbonx 358 in Japanz, and for another thing he can't afford it.

And for another nother thing you are hopelessly attracted to other men and you need to admit it.

Top Bottom