• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox360) blowout in Famitsu (Demo Impressions Pg 6 / Post 278)

duckroll

Famitsu this week has a scoop on the Lost Odyssey which has recently been completed. They also interviewed Sakaguchi about the game which provides some pretty interesting details.

Highlights from the Sakaguchi interview in Famitsu:

- 30 fps (dark10x cry cry)
- In the opening movie for Lost Odyssey you can seamlessly input commands for the battle scene.
- Combat is not action driven but command menu driven.
- The playable demo lasts for 40-60 minutes.
- The final game will have even higher quality than the demo.
- The modeling for the movies are almost identical to the realtime models.
- Inoue (the character designer) is personally checking all the models.
- The demo's battles will just the most basic part of the system. The more indepth systems will be excluded.
- The character growth systems and so on will be in the final game only.
- Surviving enemies inherit the powers of those who are killed.
- Since the main character cannot die either there will not be a possibility of game over.
- The final game will use a physics engine.
- The final text message on the playable demo was written by Shigematsu (scenario writer for the various short stories that make up the game).
- Lost Odyssey will be playable at TGS, with the demo disc being released with Famitsu in early November.
- Lost Odyssey will be out in 2007.
- Blue Dragon will DEFINITELY be released within 2006.
- ASH is being targeted for the first half of 2007.
- There will be more titles being announced from Mistwalker.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
- Since the main character cannot die either there will not be a possibility of game over.

Haha what.

sangreal

Wario64 said:

Haha what.

This is old info. The main character was sentenced to live for 1000 years or something and thats the premise of the game. Sakaguchi has said before that you won't be able to die but he hasn't elaborated much on it.

(he talks about it in a kikizo interview I think)

Tieno

sangreal said:
This is old info. The main character was sentenced to live for 1000 years or something and thats the premise of the game. Sakaguchi has said before that you won't be able to die but he hasn't elaborated much on it.

(he talks about it in a kikizo interview I think)
Some more info (Wikipedia)

The player takes control of Kaim, a man who has been sentenced to live for 1,000 years. Gameplay revolves around the many generations of which Kaim is a part of, his loves and losses and conflicts of a world nearing a "mystical industrial revolution". Odyssey's story is being penned by award winning Japanese novelist, Kiyoshi Shigematsu who is working directly with Hironobu Sakaguchi on the story sequences. Heading up the artistic demands of the title is famed Japanese comic artist, Takehiko Inoue, while famed composer Nobuo Uematsu has been recruited to create a more contemporary soundtrack. Mistwalker is developing the title, but code work has been outsourced to a studio name Feel Plus, a subsidiary of Microsoft created specifically to aid Mistwalker. Former Square employees at Microsoft are also involved.

Ceb said:
What did you expect? This is pretty much MS's answer to Final Fantasy.

Looks great, btw.
I know, but still :( Still excited, the trailer music is one of the best I've ever heard and the art style (judging again from the cgi trailer) is incredible.

PipBoy

Banned
Wario64 said:

Haha what.
ever play PST ? since you're immortal, when you die you wake up in a mortuary. Since this game seems to "borrow" a lot from PST, I expect the same system (japanised of course)

sangreal

Tieno said:
Menu based combat, so not realtime? :(

here is sakaguchi's answer:

Kikizo: Will the combat system be turns-based like the Final Fantasy series?

Sakaguchi: It's a new system...

Kikizo: Will it merge different styles?

Sakaguchi: It will merge different styles, and there's also a lot that is new.

http://games.kikizo.com/features/mistwalter_sakaguchi_iv_aug05_p2.asp

whatever thats supposed to mean. probably just full of crap but it could be something like KOTOR. The screenshot looks like a standard turnbased jrpg to me though

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This game looks shit hot. I remember seeing the concept art way back and really liking it. I'm all over the japanese demo in Famitsu in November. Hell yes.

40-60 min demo? I love you Hironobu.

K-type

PipBoy said:
ever play PST ? since you're immortal, when you die you wake up in a mortuary. Since this game seems to "borrow" a lot from PST, I expect the same system (japanised of course)

Pacific Standard Time is one of my all time favorite games.

I wonder whether they even know they're ripping off Planescape Torment.

K-type

TheTrin said:
This game looks shit hot. I remember seeing the concept art way back and really liking it. I'm all over the japanese demo in Famitsu in November. Hell yes.

40-60 min demo? I love you Hironobu.

Demo only available on a disc with Famitsu? Love is over!

Matix

Hopefully Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, & Trusty Bell turns out as awesome as they seem, because the 360 desperately needs some decent RPGs ASAP !!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aryuken said:
Blu Odissey sounds orgasmic and the scan at least makes it look like it has jaw dropping graphics.

How do you misspell the name of a game when it's in the ****ing title of the thread?! I mean, seriously man. What the **** is Blu Odissey?

EDIT: For anyone who is curious, the two other characters in that shot are named Sesu and Yansen.

Aryuken

Banned
TheTrin said:
How do you misspell the name of a game when it's in the ****ing title of the thread?! I mean, seriously man. What the **** is Blu Odissey?

EDIT: For anyone who is curious, the two other characters in that shot are named Sesu and Yansen.

Hmm...Lost odissey. Weird....where the **** did i come up with blu odissey?

C4Lukins said:
Blu Odissey sounds fantastic. I hope Los Dragun is equally as cool.

Oh thats it Blue Dragon <-> Lost Odissey.

Manp

Ajax said:
duckroll's post is a lot more informative than the OP's. I vote we put it first in the thread.

duckroll IS the OP!

don't know why but GAF keeps inverting posts these days... it's happened to me too in another thread

:)

duckroll said:
- Combat is not action driven but command menu driven.

I'm honestly kind of sick of RPG's shoehorning action driven combat into RPGs. It's the one thing I'm not looking forward to in Mass Effect. Keep It Simple Stupids! I've been fine with menu combat for like twenty years!

And I like the color scheme in that shot. I'm sure the Lost Oddyseus demo will be on US marketplace much sooner rather than later. By 12/31/06 no doubt.

thetrin

mr jones said:

AAAAAAAARGHWDUBYAHTEEYEFF!!!

[/grammarnazi]

Well, it's spelling, not grammar...but, I feel your pain. :(

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
ODYSSEY

O D Y S S E Y

Sorry just trying to drill some spelling skills into you a couple of you.

Aryuken

Banned
mr jones said:

AAAAAAAARGHWDUBYAHTEEYEFF!!!

[/grammarnazi]

Hey, i say what i want when i really really want...
Name that song B

And its spelling, grammar as to do with the times and shiz.

Aryuken

Banned
Ghost said:
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
Odyssey
ODYSSEY

O D Y S S E Y

Sorry just trying to drill some spelling skills into you a couple of you.

Lost Pduyssay no just Odissey.

Anyway, what could physics do in a Rpg like this one? I don't get it.

Top Bottom