• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost short film Black Angel, played before Empire Strikes Back, found after 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/12/20-12-pl_blackangel/

ObjEm.jpg

Wired said:
The short was never released on VHS or DVD, and Christian himself was unable to track down the original negative. The director believed it was lost—until he got a call from an archivist at Universal Studios last December. “He said, ‘We found this tin of film labeled Black Angel, and it seems to point to you,’” Christian recalls. “I wrote back, ‘You just made my Christmas for the last 20 years.’ ”

Christian is still debating how to share Black Angel with fans. “Probably the best way is a downloadable version,” he says. “I think it would be great to see it in a cinema again on a program with Empire Strikes Back. That’s how it was intended to be seen.” I suppose we can sit through Empire one more time, if we must.

More at link

Always good news when a lost film is recovered.

And yeah, it's the directorial debut of the man who brought us Battlefield Earth.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Huh, that's cool, especially for those involved. I wonder if it's any good.

border

Kinda weird to think that anything made after 1970 could really get "lost". I thought at some point studios got much better about storing and maintaining their archives.

Aren't the original prints of Star Wars IV-VI supposedly "lost"?? Or is that just the excuse that Lucas gives when asked why he will not re-issue the original versions on DVD and BluRay?

injurai

Banned
I'm interested when the public will be able to see this.

I'm surprised it aired before a movie based on it's length, was this common back then?

GDGF

Soothsayer
This was shown before Empire in the theaters?

That was the first movie I remember going to. I wonder if I saw this too.

border

I didn't go out to a lot of movies until around the time of Return of the Jedi, but I certainly don't remember any 20-minute short films playing before anything I saw.

I imagine it would have pissed off a lot of theatres too, since most movie houses only had 2 or 3 screens back in the day. Adding a long short film to every screening would prevent them from getting in an extra showing every day.

t-ramp

There's a longer interview from a couple years ago:

http://www.shadowlocked.com/2010030...-interview-the-worlds-of-roger-christian.html

Is there any chance that we'll see Black Angel released on DVD?

I had a 35mm copy. Richard Edlund's company, Boss [Films], they chucked it all out. I've never forgiven them for it [laughs]. George Lucas had a copy on the ranch, which their archivists cannot find. They've been searching and searching for me. I know that [Lucas] showed it to Spielberg in the early days, and it may have got left somewhere…

Do you mean to say that there isn't a complete copy anywhere now?

Well, by weird coincidence, Les Dilley, the other art director I worked with…Les wanted to be a producer. We weren't working so I said 'I'm going to make this film'. He said 'Oh, I want to produce!'. I had to go and sit with his wife and say 'Listen, I've got no money, nobody's going to get paid - if he's going to do this, you've got to be okay with this'. So in the end he did come and do it.

Les called me out of the blue after about a year and a half, two weekends ago. We were catching up and talking about Black Angel and he said 'Well blow me, I made a copy!'. I said 'From what?'. He said 'You gave me a print!'.

I remember now that you got three prints, in the early days, from Rank. There was a bit of slight re-grading to do on his one, a few shots, so we gave him that print. So I've got a print of it now at my disposal. I have a half-inch copy. I regraded it - when I was doing commercials, somebody cancelled five hours of time at one of the best facilities in Los Angeles, and the owner, who's a friend, phoned me up and said 'Do you want to use this time?' , so I went and regraded Black Angel. And I have a three-quarter inch of that in storage.

But do your other plans for the Black Angel story make you think twice about releasing it?

Do you know something? I'm wrestling with this. I was talking about it yesterday. I still get letters, still get emails, there are threads on the IMDB going on and on about it - people guessing the story and how much it affected their minds…but I just wonder if I brought it out now, thirty years later…

I don't know if this Wired article references new developments or is just a new interview...

Anth0ny

“I think it would be great to see it in a cinema again on a program with Empire Strikes Back. That’s how it was intended to be seen.”

Black Angel followed by the original, theatrical edition of Empire Strikes Back. In theatres everywhere.

Sounds good to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom