• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lots of cables for VR headsets

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just tried the HTC vive and got a photo of the processing box

HTC Vive
aftaq0n.jpg

3 lines (merged into one) to the headset from this box
2 lines (into the back of pc)
1 line into the power socket

Here's one for PSVR
NRNy2wM.jpg

to be fair, these are just quick and dirty setups meant to be able to assemble and disassemble with ease.

I imagine it wont look like a total mess when you set it up at home, where you'll likely station your VR stuff in one location and not try to take it on the road and such.

Your point being? Things need cables.

The only one you have to deal with playing it the one connecting the actual hmd to the pc. Not that much of a hassle, really.

Dynomutt

to be fair, these are just quick and dirty setups meant to be able to assemble and take out with ease.

I imagine it wont look like a total mess when you set it up at home, where you'll likely station your VR stuff in one location and not try to take it on the road and such.

Yeah those photos are not very flattering for the PS VR. I have seen photos where the wires are well organized for the PSVR at least. I'd assume the same could be done for the others.

Playstation-VR-Cables-Buttons-And-Controls-Revealed.jpg

Oppo

meh. surround sound is messy with wires too. you won't see them with the mask on. only when you return from dreamland to your dirty, miserable meatspace will you notice.

So who will be the entrepreneurial spirit among us that develops special VR-branded cable-management loops and ties?

I'm pretty sure that if you make something specific to each headset brand (say a plastic clasp resembling brass knuckles, molded to the shape and thickness of each individual essential cable) and supply them as like 3-5 in a pack (1 for the back of the head, maybe a couple along the length of the cable, and a couple within 14" of the base) you'd probably sell a hefty amount.

Or hell, why not develop a "VR sleeve" that the length of the cable can be housed in, with cool branding on the sock? Or make it a full kit with both the molded cable management then a sock to wrap it all in for additional style and presentation points?

Yeah those photos are not very flattering for the PS VR. I have seen photos where the wires are well organized for the PSVR at least. I'd assume the same could be done for the others.

Playstation-VR-Cables-Buttons-And-Controls-Revealed.jpg

That little ps4/xbox one lovechild is so cute lol

maybe this is what that xbox one chick with the playstation guy made

JaggedSac

Is there an official overhead cable holder so you can run the headset cabling along ceiling so you don't get wrapped up when turning around? Would seem like a nice to have for room scale experiences.

jediyoshi

Just tried the HTC vive and got a photo of the processing box

HTC Vive
aftaq0n.jpg

3 lines (merged into one) to the headset from this box
2 lines (into the back of pc)
1 line into the power socket

Here's one for PSVR
NRNy2wM.jpg

Holy shit that keyboard and mouse have wires too

Absolute disgusting

theWB27

I don't know if anyone here can answer that question but it clearly needs 2 USB ports to operate. Whether you can stretch that dongle around to connect one of them to the back...looks unlikely.

Luckily I don't use the ports for much then. Then again I can always plug the controller into the one if it needs charging while in vr.

Cartman86

Banned
You'll have to get used to it for a while. There will be no hanging and pulley systems that fix it either and mobile VR won't solve it due to the power and lack of positional tracking which makes it nothing like the VR people will actually want. It will have to be a battery and wireless video miracle. Not a deal breaker though.

well doesnt the psvr need the camera. make a input for the camera in the input for the outside processor.

I don't think they're in that phase of development anymore. It will be whatever it is right now. And that pretty clearly looks like it's using 2x USB unless the PS4 unit pictured has a unique hardware configuration.

EVIL

Yeh but given PSVR needs the camera, chances are the VR box will plug in here, and the camera will plug into the VR box

I doubt it, it will be HDMI to the small processing box which loops one to the PSVR HMD and the other back to the TV for the mirror display feature the process box is actually for.

Top Bottom