• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Boat 2 [Mafia] |OT| Electric Boogalove

DAY 1 CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

CrimsonFist & Sophia (2)
Ourobolus 115
WhereAreMahDragonz 132 156
kingkitty 265

TsuXna & Royal_Flush (2)
Natiko 475
Nomadic Sparks 488

kitsunelaine & flatearthpandas (2)
Sorian 444
Ty4on 448

Verelios & WhereAreMahDragonz (1)
flatearthpandas 176 387
kitsunelaine 385

Xbro & Karkador (1)
flatearthpandas 387

Muffin1611 & Samuraischnecke (1)
Dr. Worm 537

Fat4all & Sorian (1)
CrimsonFist 175

Ourobolus & kingkitty (1)
WhereAreMahDragonz 156
flatearthpandas 174 176
Sorian 194 444

TheExodu5 & Fireblend (0): Dr. Worm 94 136, Ty4on 355 448

Trigger & Ty4on (0): CrimsonFist 71 175

franconp & Dr. Worm (0): Dr. Worm 136 537, Muffin1611 178 413

No active vote for Day 1: Darryl, Fat4all, Fireblend, franconp, Karkador, Muffin1611 (has previously voted), nin1000, Orb, Royal_Flush, Samuraischnecke, SexyFish, Sophia, StarSketch, TheExodu5, TheWorthyEdge, Trigger, TsuXna, Verelios, Xbro

Day 1 Postcount: CrimsonFist 25, Darryl 3, Dr. Worm 22, Fat4all 19, Fireblend 8, flatearthpandas 6, franconp 32, Karkador 9, kingkitty 7, kitsunelaine 30, Muffin1611 31, Natiko 25, nin1000 2, Nomadic Sparks 26, Orb 9, Ourobolus 32, Royal_Flush 7, Samuraischnecke 14, SexyFish 1, Sophia 34, Sorian 39, StarSketch 2, TheExodu5 2, TheWorthyEdge 7, Trigger 1, TsuXna 0, Ty4on 66, Verelios 20, WhereAreMahDragonz 46, Xbro 2

Day 1 ends:
bla_1501959600.png

Automated vote tally here

16 votes for majority

Ourobolus

Banned
Right now I'm not really thinking I'm going to put anyone into the "solidly Town" category, but for the moment I feel good about:

11. [m] Verelios & [f] WhereAreMahDragonz
2. [m] TheExodu5 & [m] Fireblend

The ones I zero opinion on so far are:

15. [-] Darryl & [m] nin1000
14. [f] StarSketch & [m] SexyFish
13. [m] Orb & [m] TheWorthyEdge
7. [m] Xbro & [m] Karkador

Everyone else is either leans scum or town.

Fireblend

Banned
Couple extra thoughts:

Why do people keep doing this?

Ouro how do you feel about that?
Fran, why did you ask Ouro about this specifically?

2. [m] TheExodu5 & [m] Fireblend - The Exodu5 is apparently out for a chunk of this day phase, so I'm hoping to hear a lot once we get back. Only two posts. Fireblend is apparently out too until Wednesday, so there's only a handful of shitposts from him + some reads. I really hope these two are taking notes and making use of of their lovers chat. .

This being my first love boat game, I'm actually at a bit of a loss about what sort of use one can give to a lovers chat in this game and I'd like to ask you for advice. Let's ignore PR and night action coordination, plus anything that you think would endanger your role's secrecy. What are you writing down on that chat that is better suited for there than here? Maybe it's a matter of different playstyles, but unless you're planning some crazy coordinated gambit, I can't think of anything I'd rather post on a thread only Exodu5 (who's a relatively inactive poster) has access to, when I already have most of the info I would ever need from someone I'm sharing a chat with like their alignment and role, specially at this stage in the game. As someone with no motives other than town's, what's so hot about writing down my thoughts on other players anywhere else than here?

When you say "I really hope these two are (...) making use of of their lovers chat.", what do you mean by that? What do you think an Exodus-Fireblend chat should look like right now?

If anyone else wants to answer that question, I'm all ears btw.

Natiko

Banned
The dolphins were pretty cool fyi
I'm willing to give Natiko a pass on this instance since he hasn't done anything scummy (to me) and was active and engaging earlier.

What happened afterwards just seemed like he became frustrated and tried to defend Nomadic, even though there's truth in his criticism (which is kind of counterintuitive, since you should be able to call your lover out on their shit instead of enabling them).
Do keep in mind we have a private chat were I can point out that D1 is usually not the right point to go in on the more contribution heavy users unless you're very confident and have good reasoning why they're scum.
Yes and I have been doing that for a long time. That doesn't necessarily stop me from posting something that I know is going to get shit on as town or scum but I absolutely envision how the field is going to react to things I'll say regardless of alignment. Town has to be manipulative to garner supports for their votes just the same way that scum does and being dead is being dead. I'm the only one that I can know the alignment of so no matter how iron clad I think a read may be, it's still just that, a read (and yes, I know this game is in pairs so I know Fat's alignment too but you know what I mean).
I guess I just come at it from a different perspective. Not entirely hard to believe though given your increased experience and skill comparatively.
Samuraischnecke feels ignored, could you guys at least pretend you're a tiny bit suspicious of her
I read it, just didn't feel like it brought about too many revelations. Seemed fairly wishy washy but it's early so that's not a surprise.
Okay, let me get this straight: You're saying your partner doesn't need to justify their opinions if they align with opinions you already voiced and justified? That's a valid opinion, I guess. Although it kind of defeats the "four eyes see more than two" principle if he's just sheeping you. This point also didn't come through at all in your initial response to Sophia (at least not for me).

And here comes the "but": I'd like to hear his thoughts. In this game we have this unique situation of two players linked together. I know you are a strong player and I can't read you for shit. I don't need your partner to act as your third arm, I want to analyze him. And if all he does is following your lead, it kind of looks as if you are afraid he might break.

On a completely different note: Some of you have pointed out low activity/content posters, but Trigger slipped through the cracks somehow (as far as I remember). He has only one post and that has zero content. Ty4on is salvaging the team rn, but keep an eye on them.
That's not what I'm saying though. Sophia literally said "why should they respond to you when you've done the same". My point was that I had also called you and fep out but the same accusation could not be made to me. I was trying to argue against Sophia essentially giving you all a free pass. I don't think you should, and I'm not saying nomad should either. Obviously you can't see until after the game but I'm not in our private chat orchestrating his posts or votes. I don't expect him to be my third arm.

And yes, Trigger is someone I have made a note of. Ty is a player I find hard to read though, especially early on. Him, Sophia, and Sorian usually fall into the 'wait and see' pile for me.

kingkitty

On page 7, Ty4on defending some of his shitposts by giving "translation" to various buttposts is maybe a little weird and defensive. Hey, people shitpost. Everyone does it and everyone loves it. But I don't know if I've seen someone defend their buttposts the way Typhoon did.

Also I think Verelios went at Sorian for seemingly going to bat for Sophcrimsonfiafist. But I gotta wonder that if Sorian was on the same scum squad as those pair, he'd be this obvious in terms of defending scummates.

Natiko

Banned
I don't know why people are reading that much into my Sophia vote. I voted an entire 48 minutes after the game started. Now I know I have some sick reads, but even that's a bit premature.

That said, since then they still seem a little off to me.

TsuXna is completely absent and Flush is...well Flush seems ok to me so far. Not ringing any bells for me just yet.

Trigger is also absent, but Ty also seems ok so far.

Sorian loves to bring up my Sophia vote.

Right now I'm seriously considering if all four anime players are on the scum side.
The reason it's garnered attention (at least from me) is that a couple pages later kingkitty joined you in voting for the same pair but you never really looped back around to your vote and seemed content to let it sit. Just is an odd look in my opinion.

Didn't know if you were talking to me or Karkador at first, but I realize now you're talking about Kark.

In my case I'm in Vegas right now and was dragged to go around town right after I made that post. Didn't get back until 4 in the morning. This is the first chance I've had to really sit down and get a good look at the game, and I believe Kark is in a similar position.
Yeah, directed towards Kark. We have plenty of time this day phase still, but my issue was more that he seemed present earlier but was declining to participate until you got around. Kark is an old hand so seems kind of strange. Ease the leash, bro. I'll leave the vote here for now, want to hear back from Kark.

Rawr...kitty's got claws~
But... flatearthpandas...

Fireblend

Banned
Another observation:
i wanna avoid accusing anybody too early though
I'm still pretty firm that neither Dragonz or Kit are scum.

I'm also reluctant to consider the ones not posting often, but a few do seem fishily quiet like Star/Fish
You feel too indecisive. Don't be afraid of taking a position, or you're going to end up being dead weight.

Think of the game in terms of the Socratic method (yes I've been rewatching Dr. House lately) - even if you're not completely sure of what the truth is, take positions in a way that will lead to discussion and that will eventually provide useful information or reads or reactions. Being somewhere in the middle, not wanting to fall on either side for fear of being wrong is useless.

You're not going to be lynched for being wrong or changing your position when well justified.

Ourobolus

Banned
The reason it's garnered attention (at least from me) is that a couple pages later kingkitty joined you in voting for the same pair but you never really looped back around to your vote and seemed content to let it sit. Just is an odd look in my opinion.

You know we have a private chat where we can discuss these things, right

Right now I'm not really thinking I'm going to put anyone into the "solidly Town" category, but for the moment I feel good about:

11. [m] Verelios & [f] WhereAreMahDragonz
2. [m] TheExodu5 & [m] Fireblend

The ones I zero opinion on so far are:

15. [-] Darryl & [m] nin1000
14. [f] StarSketch & [m] SexyFish
13. [m] Orb & [m] TheWorthyEdge
7. [m] Xbro & [m] Karkador

Everyone else is either leans scum or town.

Why are you posting the opposite of a reads list?

Fireblend

Banned

Why discuss those things there rather than here where they might be of use to other people and provide proper context to your actions tho?

[Still trying to wrap my head around lover chat logic]

Ourobolus

Banned
Why discuss those things there rather than here where they might be of use to other people and provide proper context to your actions tho?

Cause at the time of my vote, it was just a little half-joke, then KK and I had a little chat on our own, and he posted his reads. I also expounded on my vote when Verelios said he was wary of SoCrimsonfistia

Fat4all

Banned
Alright, I'm caught up.

Sure thing. While reading through most of it I felt like siding with Kitsune; her responses felt genuine in both a somewhat naive way when she shared her thoughts about not wanting to make herself into a target by defending an unpopular position like a no-lynch, and then in a disconcerted way when it was apparent that wasn't an ideal answer. The way the exchange continued without much change in Kitsune's position and just a general sense of frustration from what she saw as being a simple point not getting across to WAMD gives me the impression she thought (at least) that she was alone in that fight. Maybe there would be a small trace of her having received some support to flip the tables a bit if she had been coached a bit more? As it stands most of her responses are awfully defensive and generally poorly handled, specially because it should have been easy for Kitsune to go on the offensive and flip the tables against WAMD but that never really happened.

On the other hand I see WAMD's point; catching scum is priority #1 for town while self-preservation is scum's; if it hadn't been because Kitsune also provided the context about her previous game and the way her playstyle had changed from then, no one would have faulted Dragonz for jumping on Kitsune. After that my reads do get a bit more hazy. WAMD spent some time stumbling to explain herself with very little success which doesn't feel manufactured, but also not indicative of much more - it did feel like she was too invested though, while Kitsune comes across as trying to get the convo out of the way.

So, not town-reading Kitsune but I'd say what prompted WAMD to go after her seems like very shaky ground - it's not like Kitsune backtracked in an attempt to change what she initially meant. WAMD on the other hand, maybe a bit of a scumread but nothing too severe, specially because of how she stumbled after the initial exchange.

Also, ignoring Verelios and FEP. FEP's less of a problem since he's less of an actual entity atm, but Verelios has been contributing consistently so I don't know how that should influence my read of WAMD.

thanks for taking the time to type all this

I've been mulling the argument over in my mind for a while and it kinda feels like a failed scum gambit or some sort, but I don't know enough about Dragonz play style to be able to tell. It really seems like they were taken aback at kitsune standing their ground, and backed off pretty bitterly, as if they were wanting it to go another way. Like a quick snipe at a newer player to gain some town-credit for 'scum hunting' that blew up in their face or sommit.

franconp

Couple extra thoughts:

Fran, why did you ask Ouro about this specifically?

This:

Still missing like five or six people to check in, right

I think actually more people haven't check in. Unless you are actually counting Kark, Nin, Darryl, StarSketch, SexyFish or Kitsune. Because there was actually nothing there.

Some people checked in but posted nothing. It was related to what we talked before. It doesn't matter if they post if they are only saying "hi" or "I'm reading the thread". It's the same as if they didn't posted at all.

Fireblend

Banned
Cause at the time of my vote, it was just a little half-joke, then KK and I had a little chat on our own, and he posted his reads. I also expounded on my vote when Verelios said he was wary of SoCrimsonfistia

This one? Did he share that post in your chat before posting it here?

Not questioning your vote, just curious about the justification of using the lovers chat to discuss this sort of thing, because it feels to me like it's fun until it obscures information and denies context to other town players to the detriment of scum-catching.

In case it's not clear, right now, I'm having trouble reading people that say "hey we're totally using our chat a ton there's like a novel written in there already" as anything other than confessing to willfully denying town of their thoughts, which is a very simple minded read but I'm having a hard time arguing against myself on that point.

Natiko

Banned
Considering there was no context to your Sophia vote I'm not sure why you wouldn't expand on it openly.
Could you point me to your post explaining your vote (or reason for sticking with the vote) on Sophia? Perhaps I had just missed it. On mobile, apologies.

Dr. Worm

Banned
In case it's not clear, right now, I'm having trouble reading people that say "hey we're totally using our chat a ton there's like a novel written in there already" as anything other than confessing to willfully denying town of their thoughts, which is a very simple minded read but I'm having a hard time arguing against myself on that point.

Which people did you have in mind specifically re: this?

Fireblend

Banned

I've been mulling the argument over in my mind for a while and it kinda feels like a failed scum gambit or some sort, but I don't know enough about Dragonz play style to be able to tell. It really seems like they were taken aback at kitsune standing their ground, and backed off pretty bitterly, as if they were wanting it to go another way. Like a quick snipe at a newer player to gain some town-credit for 'scum hunting' that blew up in their face or sommit.
For what it's worth I think that is the most surface-level reading of what happened. I'm sure most would agree that WAMD jumped on Kitsune's answer way too eagerly and aggressively. When people comment on say, people considering a day-1 no-lynch or other "not Gafia-meta compliant" answers, they do so with more of a "didactic" intent, while WAMD very much seemed like she was trying to start something. It's funny that her stumbling so much afterwards is what stops me from thinking she was actually going for the easy town-cred as scum. Maybe she didn't expect people defending Kitsune.

This:

Some people checked in but posted nothing. It was related to what we talked before. It doesn't matter if they post if they are only saying "hi" or "I'm reading the thread". It's the same as if they didn't posted at all.
Good, thanks. Your post didn't really connect itself to any ongoing conversation directly so I wasn't sure why you were talking to Ouro. Is it fair to say you town-read him atm?

Ourobolus

Banned
This one? Did he share that post in your chat before posting it here?

Not questioning your vote, just curious about the justification of using the lovers chat to discuss this sort of thing, because it feels to me like it's fun until it obscures information and denies context to other town players to the detriment of scum-catching.

It's a little because I'm not just one player now, I have a partner that will die if I die. So it makes sense to discuss some things before posting anything, in case your partner says "nah, hold off" or "really? I don't see what you're talking about," etc.

Besides I'm not always forthcoming anyway :p

Considering there was no context to your Sophia vote I'm not sure why you wouldn't expand on it openly.

Could you point me to your post explaining your vote (or reason for sticking with the vote) on Sophia? Perhaps I had just missed it. On mobile, apologies.

I'm actually happy Vere posted that because both Sophia and Crimson have been bugging me for some reason and I couldn't really put it in words. I wanna say tryhard, but I dunno. It's like pulling at every little thread to see what sticks.

Also why the fuck am I agreeing with Vere

^

Dr. Worm

Banned
I think part of it is also "I have this thing I'm noticing but it's not immediately obvious what it means or where it leads and I don't want to risk being misled by scum"

Fireblend

Banned
Which people did you have in mind specifically re: this?

I know Sophia and Crimson have alluded to using their chat extensively, Ouro just did and Ty4on also jokingly referred to Crimsophia's chat as probably "the only one with pregame chat on it", so I'd like them to talk about said use in a bit more in-depth way.

Example:
(...) I'm keeping most of my opinions to mine and Crimson's private chat for now. (...)

I think of lover chat as a notebook. You can work out your thoughts on the game with someone you can trust without risk of drawing ire or attack. I personally like seeing half baked ideas in the game chat as they occur but that isn't always going to happen even without lover chats. Also let's you air paranoia rather than letting it just circle in your head.

I stand by every word I said

Orb

Another observation:

You feel too indecisive. Don't be afraid of taking a position, or you're going to end up being dead weight.

Think of the game in terms of the Socratic method (yes I've been rewatching Dr. House lately) - even if you're not completely sure of what the truth is, take positions in a way that will lead to discussion and that will eventually provide useful information or reads or reactions. Being somewhere in the middle, not wanting to fall on either side for fear of being wrong is useless.

You're not going to be lynched for being wrong or changing your position when well justified.
Yeah, I don't wanna be in the middle, I just wanna feel more.... idk secure(?) with a suspicion before outright accusing.

Natiko

Banned
Thanks Ouro. I guess since it didn't mention anything about the vote I glossed it over. The post was fairly slight to be fair. So in the couple of pages from your vote to kingkitty's that was enough to further solidify your feelings on Sophia and crimson? Is there anything further thoughts you've developed since then?

As far as the lovers chat I'm mainly using it to share small notes or thoughts with nomad. Stuff that isn't of much use to the greater whole. We aren't using it for overall strategy or discussing posts in advance or anything.

Sophia

I took a nap, I just woke back up. One second.

In regards to lovers chat, we've been pretty much bouncing whatever notes we can think off at each other. It's a good springboard to find out if you're on track with something, or not.

Ourobolus

Banned
Thanks Ouro. I guess since it didn't mention anything about the vote I glossed it over. The post was fairly slight to be fair. So in the couple of pages from your vote to kingkitty's that was enough to further solidify your feelings on Sophia and crimson? Is there anything further thoughts you've developed since then?

As far as the lovers chat I'm mainly using it to share small notes or thoughts with nomad. Stuff that isn't of much use to the greater whole. We aren't using it for overall strategy or discussing posts in advance or anything.

Nothing too much that hasn't already been beaten to death has really stood out yet.

Fireblend

Banned
Guess it's a matter of playstyle then, because stuff like this:
I think part of it is also "I have this thing I'm noticing but it's not immediately obvious what it means or where it leads and I don't want to risk being misled by scum"
feels incredibly artificial to a point where I'm asking myself if you're actually in a lovers chat or writing a noir detective novel, and these:
You can work out your thoughts on the game with someone you can trust without risk of drawing ire or attack. I personally like seeing half baked ideas in the game chat as they occur but that isn't always going to happen even without lover chats. Also let's you air paranoia rather than letting it just circle in your head.
It's a little because I'm not just one player now, I have a partner that will die if I die. So it makes sense to discuss some things before posting anything, in case your partner says "nah, hold off" or "really? I don't see what you're talking about," etc.
...feel like you're using it as a cushion or a way to avoid risk which, from my point of view, again, denies town of thoughts and context that you maybe would otherwise share here instead of its own insulated useless thread.

Ourobolus

Banned
...feel like you're using it as a cushion or a way to avoid risk which, from my point of view, again, denies town of thoughts and context that you maybe would otherwise share here instead of its own insulated useless thread.

Not all thoughts are worth sharing, unless you really wanna know what kingkitty and I each ate for dinner

Fat4all

Banned
Lovers chat is private for a reason. Who cares how much it is utilized or to what extent other than the people involved?

the partner chat might as well be a metaphor for how the paring are syncing their ideas and goals in the game, which in itself isn't exactly a ridiculous thing to want more info about (whether they are telling the truth or not)

it's just another question about thought process, in a way

Fireblend

Banned
Lovers chat is private for a reason. Who cares how much it is utilized or to what extent other than the people involved?

I'm sure scum can appreciate everyone's thoughts being scattered in ~16 different threads with different degrees of visibility, and having the ones people consider "risky" be in the ones with the least visibility, rather than having all of them in the main one where everyone can see them.

Fireblend

Banned
Not all thoughts are worth sharing, unless you really wanna know what kingkitty and I each ate for dinner

What you two had for dinner doesn't really apply to your explanation of what it is for though :p unless in your example KK was telling you to "hold off" on eating that 3 weeks old Taco Bell leftovers.

the partner chat might as well be a metaphor for how the paring are syncing their ideas and goals in the game, which in itself isn't exactly a ridiculous thing to want more info about (whether they are telling the truth or not)

it's just another question about thought process, in a way

I get that, but it's like...I'm not going to tell you what's going on in our chat, and I don't think you would either if it was reversed, so why bring it up?

We all have a chat, with a lover, and it's private. I don't have to disclose anything about that if I don't want to, and even then I'd check with Vere first.

Just seems like kind of a weird focal point when we all know these things.

I don't really care about the privacy aspect, but the fact is that we have them and people are going to use them however they want, for or against town's benefits, with no way for anyone to police them.

For what it's worth, I agree as much content should be in the main thread as possible. The real use of the private chat comes later imo, where prs can privately discuss results and discuss when/how to reveal. For vanillas, yeah, limited benefit.

Sophia

I get that, but it's like...I'm not going to tell you what's going on in our chat, and I don't think you would either if it was reversed, so why bring it up?

We all have a chat, with a lover, and it's private. I don't have to disclose anything about that if I don't want to, and even then I'd check with Vere first.

Just seems like kind of a weird focal point when we all know these things.

Actually, if it's like Love Boat 1, then this isn't necessarily true. Scum did not have a private chat with their lover there. Of course, this game can be different.

What you two had for dinner doesn't really apply to your explanation of what it is for though :p unless in your example KK was telling you to "hold off" on eating that 3 weeks old Taco Bell leftovers.

This reminds me I ate some pretty dodgy leftovers yesterday and seem to have survived. Might need to share this privately with kits.

Ty4on

FWIW Fire looks much better now, but that was after that. I don't quite get how you could make that read.

franconp

For what it's worth I think that is the most surface-level reading of what happened. I'm sure most would agree that WAMD jumped on Kitsune's answer way too eagerly and aggressively. When people comment on say, people considering a day-1 no-lynch or other "not Gafia-meta compliant" answers, they do so with more of a "didactic" intent, while WAMD very much seemed like she was trying to start something. It's funny that her stumbling so much afterwards is what stops me from thinking she was actually going for the easy town-cred as scum. Maybe she didn't expect people defending Kitsune.

Good, thanks. Your post didn't really connect itself to any ongoing conversation directly so I wasn't sure why you were talking to Ouro. Is it fair to say you town-read him atm?

Ouro: Kinda Null. He haven't posted much. Ouro's vote didn't feel weird by itself but if you add KK's vote it's a little suspicious. Not much else.

Guess it's a matter of playstyle then, because stuff like this:

feels incredibly artificial to a point where I'm asking myself if you're actually in a lovers chat or writing a noir detective novel, and these:

I don't see the point to know what is everyone talking in theirs chats. It's not like someone is holding info keeping it secret in their own chats.

Top Bottom