• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Boat 2 [Mafia] |OT| Electric Boogalove

Fireblend

Banned
My point is at least I'm stimulating discussion. The inactives we are just sitting here wondering what they are doing and not getting anywhere with them. And eventually we have to worry about replacements and then we have to figure out all new reads on them, which is a pain.

Sure, and I'd sooner lynch an inactive (or, since they are there now, an unhelpful or thread-neglecting one) before you and kk. It just seems to not align with you also offering Crimson and Sophia up for a lynch when they've been also stimulating discussion. Smells of desperation.

What do the people who don't have posted about it yet about the Kark thing? Is it something a PR would do, or scum would? Did his partner slip up there and shouldn't have told us or was this completely intentional, and if yes, what are they trying to accomplish?

I'd like to know about the partner thing too.

Kark's a pretty gambity person, but at least most of his gambits have some rhyme or reason to them. The only thing not posting does is to look like you're trying to avoid attention.

Samuraischnecke

Neo Member
I'm sorry now to have activated that line of thought. /o\

I see, that in this game, lynching on D1 simply because of inactivity is not an option. The whole partnersituation alone just completely changes that.

But the example of Kark&Xbro still are in my head, for they are a team and both kinda under the radar.

Also after that "intentionally" I'm waiting for an answer. That was some... Choice of words. :D

Natiko

Banned
I think FistSophia would be a decent lynch considering the prodding they've done throughout the day.
FatSorian would be ok since Scum Sorian is much more effective at being a problem for town than Town Sorian is at being a boon.
Muffin/Samurai would also be similar to SophiaFist in that they've kinda been all over the place, though not really all that meaningful, and we can analyze their interactions.
Kark/Xbro I just kinda wanna because it's odd that Kark is so damn quiet (and apparently speaking in private) and they are pretty ineffective in general.

I get everyone's reasons for wanting to vote for me, and I don't blame 'em. Still not going to tell you much though on top of being a mislynch.
Sophia, Crimson, and Sorian have all contributed more than either you or kingkitty so lynching them D1 seems bad when we already know it's generally a crapshoot. Muffin seems like a more likely mislynch than you. Kark I could see being lynched but it doesn't tell us anything either.

Sorry I got busy part way through typing this no idea what I'm behind on so apologies if this is old news.

Ourobolus

Banned
Sure, and I'd sooner lynch an inactive (or, since they are there now, an unhelpful or thread-neglecting one) before you and kk. It just seems to not align with you also offering Crimson and Sophia up for a lynch when they've been also stimulating discussion. Smells of desperation.

Well I mean I don't like their posts, so it's part of that. It's not simply because they stimulate discussion. Which, I get why people are voting for me. I'm aware of the hypocrisy, but it's coming from me knowing my alignment.

So, yeah. Sure :p

Ourobolus

Banned
Sophia, Crimson, and Sorian have all contributed more than either you or kingkitty so lynching them D1 seems bad when we already know it's generally a crapshoot. Muffin seems like a more likely mislynch than you. Kark I could see being lynched but it doesn't tell us anything either.

Sorry I got busy part way through typing this no idea what I'm behind on so apologies if this is old news.
Yeah, we've moved on, we're voting Sorian now.

franconp

What do the people who don't have posted about it yet about the Kark thing? Is it something a PR would do, or scum would? Did his partner slip up there and shouldn't have told us or was this completely intentional, and if yes, what are they trying to accomplish?

Kark is usually know for his D1 gambits (pushing for no lynch D1, claiming scum D1, etc). The problem is that they usually don't pay off and they are really anti-town.

Kark is usually know for his D1 gambits (pushing for no lynch D1, claiming scum D1, etc). The problem is that they usually don't pay off and they are really anti-town.

Well that doesn't sound good at all. That makes me weigh my options a bit. Depends on how they react in the next hours.

Fat4all

Banned
Alright, I'm back into it. Sorry once more for being away for so long, I had a massive stretch of work that caught up to me all at once. I'm going to be looking back over the last couple hours and do some digging, but if anyone has sommit they'd rather ask me directly, by all means do.

One more thing, in all the games I play I'm usually pretty active around when the day is ending (I find the frenetic conversations leading up to the days end to be super helpful to look at as the game progresses), but the deadline seems to be set to a time where I'm usually just waking up. I'll try and wake up a bit earlier to catch up with what I missed while asleep.

That being said, I'm still gonna be here for as much as I can for this last stretch of time. I'll try not to bee too spotty.

The other thing is though, what happens if we vote Karkador and he flips town? What does that tell us? Their pair have done barely anything that would give us any new reads? Is it worth it?

Natiko

Banned
The other thing is though, what happens if we vote Karkador and he flips town? What does that tell us? Their pair have done barely anything that would give us any new reads? Is it worth it?
This line of thought is not particularly useful D1. At a later day phase when there are more connections to draw and voting patterns to look at sure, but I don't think a lynch on any one pair is going to for sure tell us much besides the flip.

I don't like "but we get no info from that if they're town" as a defence for not lynching someone. From past experience, information from most town flips doesn't give you as much as you'd hope, and it shouldn't be a deterrent from lynching someone you scum read.

This line of thought is not particularly useful D1. At a later day phase when there are more connections to draw and voting patterns to look at sure, but I don't think a lynch on any one pair is going to for sure tell us much besides the flip.

But isn't it the opposite? Wouldn't it be particularly useful to get as much reads as possible, or else D2 is barely different from D1?

I don't like "but we get no info from that if they're town" as a defence for not lynching someone. From past experience, information from most town flips doesn't give you as much as you'd hope, and it shouldn't be a deterrent from lynching someone you scum read.

Okay, I see that I might be overestimating that right now. Hm.

Natiko

Banned
But isn't it the opposite? Wouldn't it be particularly useful to get as much reads as possible, or else D2 is barely different from D1?
I'll pose the same thing to you then that I posed to Ouro - name some pairs that would give us info by lynching them and explain what that info would be.

Fireblend

Banned

So you think the better alternative is to wait and see if he's going to cooperate tomorrow? And if he doesn't, when do you think it'd be better to deal with him? 2 days from now when we might not have caught scum yet and in a worse position overall?

Verelios

Well, it tells us nothing, but I'd be pretty steamed if Kark comes up here 24 hours before days end and puts in 10 posts while knowing he's been in lovers chat. That would be shit.

Come in here and explain Kark.

I'll pose the same thing to you then that I posed to Ouro - name some pairs that would give us info by lynching them and explain what that info would be.

I guess you're right that it wouldn't be that much. Besides the Kark pair, the pairs I'd consider for lynching because they'd get us the most info would be Ouros pair, and maybe CrimsonSophia.

The latter I'm not really considering, CrimsonSophia started steering the conversation a bit very early but were generally helpful. Lynching them might make sense later, if it turns out they were prodding discussions that made townies look bad or something.

Ouro had lengthy discussion partly with me, but his way of playing was always evading and not really trying to reveal much of his thinking, which seems scummy. Here it could be interesting who shared that suspicion with me and who didn't.

So, at the moment I'm torn between Ouro and Kark.

So you think the better alternative is to wait and see if he's going to cooperate tomorrow? And if he doesn't, when do you think it'd be better to deal with him? 2 days from now when we might not have caught scum yet and in a worse position overall?

That pretty much entirely depends on how their pair responds now. It's not likely that their answers will be very satisfying, and if they're not, I'll readily consider them for a lynch.

Can all of you please just stop posting for like 10 minutes?

sFubAoS.gif

I guess you're right that it wouldn't be that much. Besides the Kark pair, the pairs I'd consider for lynching because they'd get us the most info would be Ouros pair, and maybe CrimsonSophia.

The latter I'm not really considering, CrimsonSophia started steering the conversation a bit very early but were generally helpful. Lynching them might make sense later, if it turns out they were prodding discussions that made townies look bad or something.

Ouro had lengthy discussion partly with me, but his way of playing was always evading and not really trying to reveal much of his thinking, which seems scummy. Here it could be interesting who shared that suspicion with me and who didn't.

So, at the moment I'm torn between Ouro and Kark.

Go with Ouro for now

This Kark thing is a red harring

Ourobolus

Banned
Why are you so completely intent on Ouro? The Kark thing looks pretty bad, doesn't it?

let's face it, I'm a pretty easy lynch at this point

Watch the people ignoring the vote
Watch the people trying to take the high road and claim that "something doesn't feel right about this..."
Watch the people who vote in the middle of the train

Then figure out which group's got scum

kingkitty

alright guys kingkitty is here with some microwave pizza. going to slowly write a readlist so expect that somewhere tonight preferably before midnight.

also Nomadic Sparks did you read my reply to your question? what are you thoughts?

Karkador

Banned
I've been reading the thread, in silence (mostly), just listening. Trust me, I've had urges to do something wacky. But with 30 people in the game going at once today, I realized it could potentially let a lot of people coast, and waters get muddy, if I do the usual hijacking-of-discussions thing.

So, I tried scumhunting a different way, as a passive observer. I've given you the silent treatment on purpose. Call it a gambit, if you must.

So, look - without much contribution from me, we're at 1200+ posts now, less than 24hrs away from day end, with no strong direction on what to do. I've watched most of these posts just go nowhere. Even the reasons you've stated for why you're voting on people don't really...matter?

The thing is, I wouldn't say the game is dragging. People ARE posting. It's just going into an empty void. Somebody moves the needle, and then somebody else moves it back. It all feels constructed. And that's what I find to be smelling here.

I've learned throughout the games that mafia wins these games if they control the conversation. This is especially true on D1, when nobody has anything to go by, and their manipulations have to come out of thin air. This is why the No Lynch suggestion by Nomadic Sparks was so troubling early on - it's a readymade distraction topic built into Day 1.

I'm gonna follow this up with some NUMBERS (my favorite) in a separate post, not to overwhelm.

Ty4on

Town wins by controlling conversation. Town loses when they fail to do that. Town has the numbers so mafia can't compete.

Muffin isn't scum. Ouro probably isn't either.

VOTE: TsuXna

Town wins by controlling conversation. Town loses when they fail to do that. Town has the numbers so mafia can't compete.

Why are you voting for a guy who hasn't a single post and will almost definitely get replaced? What are you gaining? Do you disagree with frans take on that?

---------------

I'm gonna have to think over Karks answer a bit, my head hurts.

Natiko

Banned

Bit of an unexpected vote on your part.

Does anyone not on mobile care to pull up what Ty had said about Royal previously?

Ty4on

Why are you voting for a guy who hasn't a single post and will almost definitely get replaced? What are you gaining? Do you disagree with frans take on that?

---------------

I'm gonna have to think over Karks answer a bit, my head hurts.
Why do you wanna go for Ouro? He's stood out, but if he's town he'd hurt more than most players to lose RN.

Don't fall into the trap of voting for players on your mind.

I find it useful to read other people's read of me. It's easier to follow their thought process because I generally know what I've posted.

Is there anything in specific bothering you with Flush? Last time I played with him he had a similarly aggressive tone, but maybe with a few more posts. Nothing really stands out to me one way or another.

You've never had that feeling as town? Wondering if scum are throwing shade at you or it's just townies struggling to read you?

Natiko's pair does not feel town read RN. I think Flush went the most against him, but I seem to remember some shade too.

Seems to be about it, although just using gaf search so might have missed one or two.

Natiko

Banned
Why do you wanna go for Ouro? He's stood out, but if he's town he'd hurt more than most players to lose RN.

I would argue Royal and Ouro have contributed just about the same - namely nothing but hot air.

I already explained why he's high on my list. But...with the rate Kark is going right now I'd rather vote for him if his next post doesn't satisfy tbh

Karkador

Banned

Well, you are the top poster right now, so of course you'd say that

I disagree anyhow. The games I've played in that had outstanding mafia wins are games where at least one mafia player is practically setting all the agendas. Town has the numbers, but also the keen ability to talk itself into doing stupid things.

Top Bottom