• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Boat 2 [Mafia] |OT| Electric Boogalove

franconp

My main issue right now is a lot of null or meh reads.
Tsu and Flush are right in there. Flush has made some posts; nothing terrible, but nothing a competent scum couldn't do.

But you don't have scum reads? Why don't you vote for them instead of your null or meh reads?

That is a vote I don't see. I agree that Flush work has been really lazy but his partner is very likely to be replaced. Maybe we can get someone who can help us find scum or can add more insight to the game.

Why get rid of some blind spot if you have more scummy reads?

Ty4on

I would argue Royal and Ouro have contributed just about the same - namely nothing but hot air.
Ouro has at least reacted to stuff so I could read him. Especially in his posts responding to Sorian he looks light and comfortable which i like. Flush just summarized something iirc.

Ty4on

But you don't have scum reads? Why don't you vote for them instead of your null or meh reads?

That is a vote I don't see. I agree that Flush work has been really lazy but his partner is very likely to be replaced. Maybe we can get someone who can help us find scum or can add more insight to the game.

Why get rid of some blind spot if you have more scummy reads?
Because nothing really rises to the top. A lot of townies seem to play with their cards close to themselves making them hard to read.

I work backwards to most people here. I've always had way more success in town reads so I wanna focus on them and remove those that I can't town read. I've made enough wrong reads that there's a whole slew of warnings that pop off when I scum read someone and I rethink every aspect. One thought I feel is really important is scum does not want to look scummy, scum tries to look townie.

Well, you are the top poster right now, so of course you'd say that

I disagree anyhow. The games I've played in that had outstanding mafia wins are games where at least one mafia player is practically setting all the agendas. Town has the numbers, but also the keen ability to talk itself into doing stupid things.
Have I controller discussion? lol

I disagree BTW. Nobody on my team steered any real discussion in Danny Phantom, it was pretty much all town distrusting themselves.
Strong scummies can and do control discussion, but it's usually more sowing distrust and making cover for scummates. Being too proactive is dangerous.

DAY 1 CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

Ourobolus & kingkitty (3)
WhereAreMahDragonz 156 954
flatearthpandas 174 176
Sorian 194 444
flatearthpandas 619 654
Muffin1611 718 1252
Dr. Worm 836
Nomadic Sparks 1159
Natiko 1178

Orb & TheWorthyEdge (2)
Sorian 688
WhereAreMahDragonz 954

Xbro & Karkador (2)
flatearthpandas 387 619
Ty4on 695 1237
Ourobolus 1021
Fireblend 1206

Fat4all & Sorian (2)
CrimsonFist 175
Darryl 659

Trigger & Ty4on (1)
CrimsonFist 71 175
kingkitty 653

TsuXna & Royal_Flush (1)
Natiko 475 1178
Nomadic Sparks 488 1149
Ty4on 1237

Verelios & WhereAreMahDragonz (1)
flatearthpandas 176 387
kitsunelaine 385

StarSketch & SexyFish (0): flatearthpandas 655 962

Muffin1611 & Samuraischnecke (0): Dr. Worm 537 836, Fireblend 1098 1206

CrimsonFist & Sophia (0): Ourobolus 115 1021, WhereAreMahDragonz 132 156, kingkitty 265 653

franconp & Dr. Worm (0): Dr. Worm 136 537, Muffin1611 178 413

TheExodu5 & Fireblend (0): Dr. Worm 94 136, Ty4on 355 448

kitsunelaine & flatearthpandas (0): Sorian 444 688, Ty4on 448 695

No active vote for Day 1: Fat4all, flatearthpandas (has previously voted), franconp, Karkador, Muffin1611 (has previously voted), nin1000, Orb, Royal_Flush, Samuraischnecke, SexyFish, Sophia, StarSketch, TheExodu5, TheWorthyEdge, Trigger, TsuXna, Verelios, Xbro

Day 1 Postcount: CrimsonFist 67, Darryl 14, Dr. Worm 58, Fat4all 26, Fireblend 48, flatearthpandas 21, franconp 53, Karkador 12, kingkitty 17, kitsunelaine 43, Muffin1611 80, Natiko 66, nin1000 2, Nomadic Sparks 50, Orb 19, Ourobolus 127, Royal_Flush 12, Samuraischnecke 24, SexyFish 6, Sophia 68, Sorian 72, StarSketch 8, TheExodu5 2, TheWorthyEdge 24, Trigger 11, TsuXna 0, Ty4on 130, Verelios 34, WhereAreMahDragonz 71, Xbro 8

Day 1 ends:
bla_1501959600.png

Automated vote tally here

16 votes for majority

Sophia

I would argue Royal and Ouro have contributed just about the same - namely nothing but hot air.

I'd actually like to point out that Royal's biggest contribution right now is this

Okay, let's play another round of "let's weed out the coasters" with your favorite host, Royal_Flush.

(post is truncated to avoid spamming the screen)

This is all nice and dandy, but it's actually kind of fluff. Because it's not "lets weed out the scum", but merely coasters.

Has Royal really done much of any scum hunting? There was this post to Natiko, but I'm having a hard time remembering other posts of him actively scum hunting or giving reads. Ouro's done a little bit at least, even if it was shallow at spots. Some gut reads here and there.

Natiko

Banned
I'd actually like to point out that Royal's biggest contribution right now is this

(post is truncated to avoid spamming the screen)

This is all nice and dandy, but it's actually kind of fluff. Because it's not "lets weed out the scum", but merely coasters.

Has Royal really done much of any scum hunting? There was this post to Natiko, but I'm having a hard time remembering other posts of him actively scum hunting or giving reads. Ouro's done a little bit at least, even if it was shallow at spots. Some gut reads here and there.
I mean I'm not going to argue that Royal has done anything of use. I was the first person going at him after all but you all acted like nomad and I were crazy until just now. I even made the exact point you just did earlier. Doesn't mean we should suddenly act like Ouro has done anything but be vague, defensive, and anti-town.

Ty4on

I mean I'm not going to argue that Royal has done anything of use. I was the first person going at him after all but you all acted like nomad and I were crazy until just now. I even made the exact point you just did earlier. Doesn't mean we should suddenly act like Ouro has done anything but be vague, defensive, and anti-town.

Do you care a lot about getting Ouro lynched?

Fat4all

Banned
I'm surprised there isn't more scrutiny being pointed in the direction at Darryl, looking back.

First, this interaction, the first mayor interaction they had in the game they got involved with in the game, with Verelios:

I don't really agree with you. Saying that they've said nothing of worth is false; they're clearly distancing themselves from people. Their policing isn't any worse than your own attempt to do so. You seem fine with shutting down Soph/Crim's multidirectional manhunt because it had you in their crosshairs.

Don't know why on earth you feel like you need to stop someone who is putting themselves out there this much this early: if they're scum you are giving them more rope to hang themselves with.
First of all, they haven't said anything of worth. What you derive from their posts is separate from their intent. Secondly, I never wanted to police anything. If you read my post I was just explaining why their accusations were hypocritical, which to me they were.

Thirdly, I have no problems with legitimate criticism. We're all having discourse, arguing, throwing opinions around and looking for scum. If you want to argue what I said then fine, but saying I'm trying to stifle discussion is factually wrong. The only way to get scum is for them to talk more, react more, let slip more. Why are you telling me to stop then?
Never said any of that. I am just pointing out your own hypocrisy, whilst you pointed out Sophia's hypocrisy. I didn't think Sophia was overstepping anything, therefore I didn't think you were either
Please direct me to my hypocrisy.

Darryl ignores this statement from Verelios and waits until about 10 hours later before getting involved again with their vote against Sorian:

These posts have stood out to me the most. I don't think the confident tone Sorian is using here feels appropriate for a townie. I think a paranoid townie would be much more hesitant at vouching for others and wouldn't use language like 'very clearly'.

Vote: Sorian

The posts referenced are those involved with the town reads on Samurai and Muffin, in which several people were involved in discussing why it looked like a town move. Their reasoning for voting Sorian is, as they said, because of Sorian's 'confidence' over it looking like a town move, and wording.

When asked for follow-ups from Sophia, we get this post:

Well I'm approaching the posts from a different angle because I was reading the thread in reverse and I saw Sorian's posts before I saw the posts themselves. Like I was unnerved by those Sorian posts because they felt like posts scum would make in reply to something from a townie, like to appear proactive, knowledgeable, or to earn cred by vouching. So I thought they felt townie from the beginning.

I think they'd feel townie to me if I saw them first I just don't think I can imagine myself staunchly vouching for it or even following the line of thought Sorian did.

This, to me, feels like a bizarre work around into voting for Sorian, as both Sophia and Sorian say directly after:

It almost sounds like it's an emotional gut read to you. Hm... not sure I see it myself.
How far back in reverse do you still have to go? How do you feel about me checking out with my early Crimson town read too?

This question is, again, something Darryl ignores.

Another 10 hours pass, and we get this general question asked to the thread at large:

Are there any points / posts in this thread that people deem particularly damning, but feel as though their points / posts haven't been noticed or given proper credit

This, to me, looks like a post designed to appear like they are scum hunting without actually scum hunting. Considering the posts and conversations they have had previously, it's very 'out of nowhere' feeling as well.

They prod Sorian next:

Hey Sorian, how do you feel about lynching Ouro today? It looks like he is going to be a contender for a lynch and you've already voted for him. You went in on Ourobolus at post #194 for a legitimate read, and since then you've re-directed your vote twice now to two different players for mere inactivity prods.

Sorian answers:

I would lynch Ouro. Your analysis is bad though. My early vote on Ouro, while having real reasoning, was mild at best, he's hung himself much more on real issues since then. My vote for kitsune also wasn't an activity prod so not sure where you pulled that from. I was reading both her and Dragonz as scum but Dragonz had just gone to sleep while kitsune appeared to still be around which is why I voted where I did, was hoping for an over defense again but got ghosted instead.

And yet again, no follow up from Darryl on Sorian's thoughts on him or Ouro.

General scum/town list follows a bit later containing no reads attached (as they say, it's mostly gut feeling):

The three groups who I'm okay to lynch today

3. [m] Fat4all & [m] Sorian
2. [m] TheExodu5 & [m] Fireblend
12. [m] Ourobolus & [m] kingkitty

The four below I want to keep for now

1. [m] Muffin1611 & [f] Samuraischnecke
4. [m] CrimsonFist & [f] Sophia
6. [m] franconp & [m] Dr. Worm
8. [m] Trigger & [m] Ty4on

The reasoning for most of them is gut

Darryl complains about the game:

Kark is probably just buying time until something useful pops up because the past 10 pages have been a big ole nothing burger

Darryl throws a low ball question to Crimson, but starts to get a little biteback from his 'nothing burger' statement. It appears to aggravate Darryl slight, at least that's how it looks to me:

Justifying the inactivity of someone who isn't your partner and hasn't provided much of value themselves through belittling what's happened in the past 10 pages isn't a great look.
does his absence really need justifying or a refrain from justification? he can just come into the thread with a post and an apology and no one will care that he was ever gone
I feel like you should refrain from using your precognitive abilities during a mafia game, makes it kinda unfair.
ok when he gets here and no one cares that he was gone you can hang him up and i'll watch you do it

Darry finally shows their frustrations clearly when TheWorthyEdge pokes them with this (pointed again at their 'nothing burger' statement):

This makes no sense.

1) You are putting words and reasons for actions into someone else's mouth. Maybe there's something bigger here who knows.

2) Anything would be helpful right now. Strikes me that Kark hasn't come in and said something yet you have for him essentially.
yea or maybe i'm just drawing sympathies because i came in here and acted exactly the same way he did with just taking notes and leaving and my commentary on kark is me expressing myself externally through another player which sophia pointed out immediately and for some reason you two head-cut-off chickens feel like being vapidly context-less and obnoxious over. some really by-the-numbers plays you guys are pulling around here

This outburst isn't really addressed by anyone afterwards. To me it reads like a major cop-out. A sort of 'well, look at what these players are doing instead of what I'm doing, isn't that worth looking at more?' than an actual defense of themselves.

Here's my thoughts on Darryl to summarize:

You appear to be coasting and are likely scum. Your contributions have been of little consequence in the game. It's possible that you have been given an allowance on how you've played from having a inactive partner, but it really feels more like the way you've played has just caused people to not even notice how you are playing in the first place. When questioned or asked for evidence or a follow up, you do not provide a follow up answer or reasoning. Your vote was placed under the pretense of 'gut', as are your reads for other players. Questions that you have posted towards other players are of little consequence, and seem to be done to give the appearance of scum hunting.

Also, your list for scum feel more like you looked around to see who was already getting heat and votes on them. With no reads to go along with, this again feels like coasting with what might be considered an unoffensive play. Busy work.

So I'm going to vote for Darryl for now unless I find a better target for my vote while reading through the thread, or as the day goes on.

Vote: Darryl

Still reading, again if anyone has questions about whatever's going on, ask away, I'm here for a while.

Ty4on

Wanna be vague and anti-town with me Ouro?

Has your read on Verelios evolved or is it still the same as early day? I town read him early too, but thinking back it felt like we'd kinda forgotten about him.

Sophia

Heads up: I'm having some family drama tomorrow, and I'll be out come time of day's end. I'll put my vote up with my partner's before that, but unfortunately I won't be able to give the game any real time of day in the last two or three hours. Not my choice, unfortunately.

Sorian

Banned
Oh, cool, thank you for dumping some of my thoughts, didn't think I'd be away for that long. Darryl keeps poking but never actually following up. It's easy play.

I'm also going to do this

VOTE: Xbro

Until Kark stops posturing and does whatever he plans to do.

I saw that Ty quoted me and asked a question too, let me grab that.

Fat4all

Banned
sorry if my post is a lot of "and then this happened, and then this happened", I was going through the thread practically all over again when I started sniffing around Darryl and decided to go for a moment to moment kind of summary

Ourobolus

Banned
Wanna be vague and anti-town with me Ouro?

Has your read on Verelios evolved or is it still the same as early day? I town read him early too, but thinking back it felt like we'd kinda forgotten about him.
He has faded a little bit since then. Not really enough to move him from my list (but it's not really a firm list anyway), though.

Ty4on

Those two posts, sure. But you can't ignore the one right before it just because there happened to be a page break:

You also, effectively, drop a vote with no reasoning.

I'm asking you what you read and/or why you didn't read that

I know about that vote earlier. You've told me, what, three times now?

sorry if my post is a lot of "and then this happened, and then this happened", I was going through the thread practically all over again when I started sniffing around Darryl and decided to go for a moment to moment kind of summary

I wish I had the mental brainpower to do something like that without my eyes glazing over. Reading it once is enough for me. @-@

Ty4on

I mean I've outright stated Royal and Ouro are my top two scum reads. After that Kark then maybe a tie between kit and you.
You seemed really upset that the vote was moving away from Ouro
He has faded a little bit since then. Not really enough to move him from my list (but it's not really a firm list anyway), though.
Nothing concisee then. It sorta stuck out to me when I opened the pagecount window and saw how far down he was considering he was my first town read. Gave me a little deja vu to Pokemon where I discarded reading scum because their early posts gave me a townie vibe. Not that I think Vere is scum, my read wasn't that shaky and I don't really find Dragonz scummy either.

Sorian

Banned

I did read it. The context wasn't as apparent since Ouro was town reading someone out of the blue and you were voting someone out of the blue. The final post specifically says as scum you throw votes out of the blue. In hindsight now that you are defending it this way, I see that you could spin Ouro's action as the same type of action but at the time, that middle post of the 3 did not seem to be a part of the same chain to me.

Sorian

Banned

Also, ask me the same question three times, no surprise that you get pointed to the same answer three times.

:thinking:

Ty4on

I wish I had the mental brainpower to do something like that without my eyes glazing over. Reading it once is enough for me. @-@

Glaze over the thread and see if something really drags you in. That really helps for motivation when you finally get to go "why did they say that?" and start digging.

I struggle to stay on track reading older/long posts so I usually stay in the present or switch between the two. Helps me stay in the loop.

Ty4on

I did read it. The context wasn't as apparent since Ouro was town reading someone out of the blue and you were voting someone out of the blue. The final post specifically says as scum you throw votes out of the blue. In hindsight now that you are defending it this way, I see that you could spin Ouro's action as the same type of action but at the time, that middle post of the 3 did not seem to be a part of the same chain to me.

What chain? It's a thought appended to the last post 2 minutes before. My question is why you seemingly didn't see that?
Also, ask me the same question three times, no surprise that you get pointed to the same answer three times.

:thinking:
*sarcastic response*

Fat4all

Banned

It's worth giving a try. I've never been the best at giving multiple reads all at once and find it easier to see what catches my eye while reading and dig deeper on a single person instead. It helps me see their play style in a more cohesive way.

Glaze over the thread and see if something really drags you in. That really helps for motivation when you finally get to go "why did they say that?" and start digging.

I struggle to stay on track reading older/long posts so I usually stay in the present or switch between the two. Helps me stay in the loop.

There's just so much content that it's hard to pick out stuff that's meaningful.

It's worth giving a try. I've never been the best at giving multiple reads all at once and find it easier to see what catches my eye while reading and dig deeper on a single person instead. It helps me see their play style in a more cohesive way.

Hmm, okay. Focusing on a single person is a way to do it that I haven't considered before.

Samuraischnecke

Neo Member
There's just so much content that it's hard to pick out stuff that's meaningful.

kitsune I had pretty much of a brainfreeze yesterday so I basically skipped the last few pages and focus now on what's currently happening. Just to get you back into the game. Also lovers chat helps if your partner has read those pages and can keep you on track if necessary.

Ty4on

^^^^ lol

I find it a little similar to my CriFistiaso read. They did something early on but have since stopped doing the thing so much.

Like an inverse read to Vere?

I had to go back to P1 to see who you meant lol
At least include some resemblance to "Sophia"
Because I read it as a thought appended to your post 6 minutes before.
Ok. Did you not consider the post right before or just think I was rewriting history?
Hmm, okay. Focusing on a single person is a way to do it that I haven't considered before.
lol, that was kinda what I was trying to say. It helps to check the playerlist to figure out who you wanna read over.

I'll try to read that Fat4all post more closely, but it didn't resonate the first time around. Not a bad read, I just didn't really read Darryl's actions that way.

Karkador

Banned
Let's take a look at some numbers:

Fair warning -they're already out of date numbers, as people post while I type this up. Also, you need to account for random pre-game nonsense.

Ty4on 128
Ourobolus 125
Muffin1611 74
WhereAreMahDragonz 74
Sorian 73
Sophia 71
Natiko 68
CrimsonFist 66
Dr. Worm 58
Nomadic Sparks 57
franconp 52
Fireblend 45
kitsunelaine 45
Verelios 34
Fat4all 31
TheWorthyEdge 25
Samuraischnecke 25
Orb 22
flatearthpandas 22
kingkitty 18
Darryl 15
Xbro 12
Royal_Flush 12
Trigger 11
Karkador 9
StarSketch 7
SexyFish 6
nin1000 3
TheExodu5 3
Gorlak 1

Ty4on, 128 posts - Trigger, 11 posts
Ourobolus, 125 posts - kingkitty, 18 posts
Muffin1611, 74 posts - Samuraischnecke, 25 posts
WhereAreMahDragonz, 74 posts - Verelios, 34 posts
Sorian, 73 posts - Fat4all, 31 posts

________(Top 5 over this line)__________________

Sophia, 71 posts - CrimsonFist, 66 posts
Natiko, 68 posts - Nomadic Sparks, 57 posts
Dr. Worm, 58 posts - franconp, 52 posts

Fireblend, 45 posts - TheExodu5, 3 posts
kitsunelaine, 45 posts - flatearthpandas, 22posts
TheWorthyEdge, 25 posts - Orb, 22 posts
Darryl, 15 posts - nin1000, 3 posts
Xbro, 12 posts - Karkador, 9 posts
Royal_Flush, 12 posts - TsuXna, 0 posts
StarSketch, 7 posts - SexyFish, 6 posts

Remarkably, all the top-posting players in the game have pretty wide margins between their post counts with their partner. Ty4on and Ouro have not only shot past the herd, they've left their partners way behind.

Below the top 5, we start getting strong parity with pairs like Sophia/Crimson, Natiko/Nomadic, and Worm/Fran. Some pairs with less posts also maintain parity (myself included), while others don't.

I don't think anyone can confidently say that posting-parity implies Town or not. Likewise, uneven post counts doesn't mean scum. People get along in different ways.

I guess my question is, would scum be more to ensure parity? Or would they let one or two players in their team coast? What if most of the scum players are laying low today, while one or two of them set the agenda?

Personally, my feeling is most are laying low or switching off, while someone is guiding the discussion to make sure nobody is in danger. That seems like bare minimum of what's going on.

Sorian

Banned
Ok. Did you not consider the post right before or just think I was rewriting history?

If I had to guess judging from the time of my post(6:58am my time), this was the last post I made before going to bed after getting home from work. Which means I read all of the preceding 20 minutes worth of posts together as one skim. I do think you were re-writing history or more specifically, getting in front of possible backlash before it happened but I did not remember that post about Ouro at all so I likely didn't register it at all and was probably still thinking about your Kark vote which was the last vote in the game.

Also, posts with highlights in them get more reading time on skims because human nature.

Sorian

Banned
Let's take a look at some numbers:

Fair warning -they're already out of date numbers, as people post while I type this up. Also, you need to account for random pre-game nonsense.

Remarkably, all the top-posting players in the game have pretty wide margins between their post counts with their partner. Ty4on and Ouro have not only shot past the herd, they've left their partners way behind.

Below the top 5, we start getting strong parity with pairs like Sophia/Crimson, Natiko/Nomadic, and Worm/Fran. Some pairs with less posts also maintain parity (myself included), while others don't.

I don't think anyone can confidently say that posting-parity implies Town or not. Likewise, uneven post counts doesn't mean scum. People get along in different ways.

I guess my question is, would scum be more to ensure parity? Or would they let one or two players in their team coast? What if most of the scum players are laying low today, while one or two of them set the agenda?

Personally, my feeling is most are laying low or switching off, while someone is guiding the discussion to make sure nobody is in danger. That seems like bare minimum of what's going on.

What if scum is all high posters?

What if scum is all coasting?

What if all scum only post at even numbered time stamps?

Your analysis is the same day 1 crap as normal.

I'm awake and just caught up. Unfortunately I will be working today, where I can read but not post. I'll try and drop some knowledge on my break. Anywho, just going to respond to this one now as I think it's the only thing directed at me.
I'm working on a read list but I just caught this post and noticed FEP asking me something:

I don't think it's very alignment-indicative and it doesn't really bother me or jump out at me much. Presumably scum also have a shared chat where they could coach each other. I still think the actual usefulness of the lovers chats beyond it being required because of the setup for PR stuff and things like that is very limited, and I'd rather see stuff that shouldn't strictly be private here for everyone to see.

And I guess there may be an ulterior or subconscious motive for calling Orb out publicly but it's too immaterial for me to really dig into or consider seriously.
This was just something that stood out to me. I had argued that I prefer most things in the main chat but then I saw TWE's post and had this gut feeling in the opposite direction. I didn't claim it being alignment indicative or not, but there is an interesting meta someone mentioned earlier in how we discuss our partners and/or our lover chats in the main thread.

Anyway, called you out just because you seemed interested enough in the subject to question everyone about this for about half a page. Kind of surprised you want to turn the subject around on me aggressively. Didn't miss the shade in your reads list either, about this.

Kind of interesting. Somehow it is scummy to involve you in the topics of conversation you've raised. And then, having beat you to a full reads list, you felt the need to attack and one up. Weird play. Your reads list was good, but your shade is bad. Not impressed overall, realizing it was like 1000 words culminating in cheap hot takes.

Fat4all

Banned

I think this is the kinda of question that can only really be answered after the game is over. It's hard to say either way. I don;t know if a player would be willing to completely change their play style as a scum just from having a partner, ie posting less than usual or more than usual to match/separate themselves from them.

And even then, that's just on a numbers play style instead of a content play style. It's pretty restrictive in how you view a team as scum or town.

Samuraischnecke

Neo Member

So... uh... I would have expected anything but...
Some questions nobody cared about, because you simply won't get anything out of it?
I mean... Is that what you've been doing? Counting posts?

Has there been anything in the last Love Boat that could explain this "method"?
Like... Was the posting behaviour back then "special"? Were there hidden messages in the post numbers or anything at all? Because I just don't get what you want to tell us with that...

Top Bottom