• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Low poly love [WARNING - Image Intensive]

Jaeger

Anyone else share my love of low poly games? 64-bit era and below? I still think these look good, and now instead of looking good because of "polygons being displayed", or "how smooth and real they look!", but because are now art to me. Aging like fine wine. I remember we had a thread like this awhile ago. Figured we could use another.

zouJSsp.png
LOKB91w.png

UR3oo7d.gif
8qsPHN0.gif

UDtH9Sb.gif
o9HSos1.gif

VcTJ2Xu.gif

a28yvDS.gif

Uv8PU8B.gif

R4qdqcf.gif

aSfcA16.gif
nutXL1B.gif

LaIa0Dt.jpg

uTTNykY.jpg

pTqMR1d.gif
czn6MD9.gif

I love low poly counts and giant, chunky pixels. Like those Tekken 2 models still look good to me. And the Tobal stuff? *swoon*

bomblord1

Banned
I've seen some people claim they have a similar love for N64 poly count games as some have for 8 bit.

I personally can't stand either of them though. I would think that it may have something to do with era the people grew up in but if that's the case I should like one of them.

I do consider 16bit and up pixel art very appealing to the eye though..

I have seen some low poly shots with modern shaders and higher res textures that look pretty nice though.
example (pulled from a google search)
9uxp7Q6.gif

JC Lately

What? God no. This was the worst era of gaming, atheistic wise. They took away my 16-bit vibrant, cartoony, and imaginative sprites and gave me grainy blocks of shit for half a decade. Games didn’t start looking good again until the PS2 dropped. Yeah I’m including FF IX in that, Squaresoft apologists.

Yeah, I really hope that in a few years Low-Poly will be the new go to retro aesthetic opposed to 8/16 bit pixel art.

52372-Metal_Gear_Solid_%28E%29_%28Disc_1%29-2.jpg

Rex2.jpg

52372-Metal_Gear_Solid_%28E%29_%28Disc_1%29-9.jpg

I love the look of MGS1.

Anyone else share my love of low poly games? 64-bit era and below? I still think these look good, and now instead of looking good because of "polygons being displayed", or "how smooth and real they look!", but because are now art to me. Aging like fine wine. I remember we had a thread like this awhile ago. Figured we could use another.

uTTNykY.jpg

Is this Pig Ganon?

Jaeger

What? God no. This was the worse era of gaming, atheistic wise. They took away my 16-bit vibrant, cartoony, and imaginative sprites and gave me grainy blocks of shit for half a decade. Games didn’t start looking good again until the PS2 dropped. Yeah I’m including FF IX in that, Squaresoft apologists.

I don't think this thread is for you then, brother.

Ishida

Banned
Chrono Cross had some beautiful character models.

model2.jpg

model1.jpg

What? God no. This was the worse era of gaming, atheistic wise. They took away my 16-bit vibrant, cartoony, and imaginative sprites and gave me grainy blocks of shit for half a decade. Games didn’t start looking good again until the PS2 dropped. Yeah I’m including FF IX in that, Squaresoft apologists.

So much bullshit in a single post. Amazing.

I agree low-poly models can be pretty, but more-so when they're either untextured (just a color + shading) or have very simple textures.

Anung

Un Rama
VRU_42116_gif_tranquilos_tengo_autografos_para_todos_no_hace_falta_que_empujeis.gif

I love it. I honestly wouldn't mind if they pumped out Resi 2 quality survival horror games for the rest of time.

I used to think it was hideous but over the past 10 years it has charmed its way into my heart. Especially Sega Model 1 and Namco System 21 stuff.

Ms.Galaxy

I can't explain it, but there's just something charming I personally find about the low poly graphics in the PS1. Sadly, I don't have the same feelings for the N64's graphics.

RedSwirl

Games from that era that tried to look realistic look like crap today, usually western games. But games from the PS1 era that knew they were dealing with blocky polygons and played their art direction towards that tend to hold up better today. Mega Man Legends is a great example. It's almost cel-shading before cel-shading.

That Super Systems intro did it for me.

I used to think it was hideous but over the past 10 years it has charmed its way into my heart. Especially Sega Model 1 and Namco System 21 stuff.

I thought Sega Model 1 games looked badass back then, and still do today.

I've seen some people claim they have a similar love for N64 poly count games as some have for 8 bit.

I personally can't stand either of them though. I would think that it may have something to do with era the people grew up in but if that's the case I should like one of them.

I do consider 16bit and up pixel art very appealing to the eye though..

I have seen some low poly shots with modern shaders and higher res textures that look pretty nice though.
example (pulled from a google search)
9uxp7Q6.gif

I always post this pick in these threads:
engineer-final02.jpg

engineer-final01.jpg

People always show ps1/n64 games. The mod scene for pc games had better textures, which fits with what your saying.

Games from that era that tried to look realistic look like crap today, usually western games. But games from the PS1 era that knew they were dealing with blocky polygons and played their art direction towards that tend to hold up better today. Mega Man Legends is a great example. It's almost cel-shading before cel-shading

agreed

Rival

Gold Member
I love seeing some of these older games. Takes me back. I'd love to see some indie games that took on a retro 3d look like this. I believe they are going to make a Nintendo 64 type mode in the yooka laylee game.

VariantX

I always post this pick in these threads:
engineer-final02.jpg

engineer-final01.jpg

People always show ps1/n64 games. The mod scene for pc games had better textures, which fits with what your saying.

agreed

God I used to visit the polycount forums at least twice a week just to see what BoBo the seal was working on. His work will still look good to me 50 years from now.

woopWOOP

Yesss, love me some low polygon, pixelated texture models. Always makes me sad when people tell me N64/PSX era games are too ugly to play through nowadays.

On a slightly related note, I love the rendered background images they used in games like the PSX Resident Evil and Final Fantasy games. I know people hate them because the camera made moving around a drag, but I think it gives games a different kind of mood that I can dig.

I loved the low poly 3D of the original DS mostly because they reminded me of the low poly 3D of the PS1/Saturn/N64 era.

I believe the RPG called Nostalgia for the DS was very much trying to capitalise on the nostalgia for the PS1 era and looked very much like an RPG from that time. Too bad it's a mediocre game.

I loved the low poly 5th gen era look back then, and I still do now. Vast improvement over most of the 2D sprite graphics that came before it IMO.

I still regularly play PS1 games infact, which just look especially phenomenal on the OLED Vita, and wish Nintendo would hurry the fuck up with getting N64 games on the WiiU VC.

Low Poly is hecka nice. Mega Man Legends is a real good example out how nice a 3D PS1 game can look.

Model 2 arcade games got that charm.

Bulk Slash on Saturn looks nice as heck too but the draw distance is minced ass.

sn00zer

Im actually really surprised someone hasnt made a huge low poly world with thousands of characters or something. I imagine something like MML3 on PS4/X1 where the city is actually a city with large crowds and such.

Top Bottom