• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Low poly love [WARNING - Image Intensive]

Fraeon

I just... can't.

I really like the C64/Speccy era look of games though so maybe it's just what you've been playing in your youth.

I love that low poly look and really hope it's the next step for Indies as most games we've had have been made to look like Pixel Art and I much prefer Low Poly. The people that dislike it are tech snobs that can't play anything more than a year old because "It hasn't aged well" I have no problem playing any game released in any year because I can enjoy a piece of entertainment for what it is, not when it was released.

So, for all the people who enjoy the aesthetic of Metal Gear Solid, I extracted some textures from the game and dropped them into a scene in Unreal Engine 4 a while ago. The nearest neighbor filtering on the low res textures, rendered with really nice IQ looks ace. The texture work in MGS is actually really nice considering they were working with sub 64x64 textures for most of the game.

That looks really cool, I've always wondered what it would look like for someone to try that, have you tried importing models and rendering them at a higher res for a similar effect? I know it may be asking alot, but if you could recreate a small scene with textures, models, and emulate the lighting methods they used it'd be really interesting to see how that'd turn out. Just a suggestion in case you want to take your UE4 experiment a step further :p

zogged

Man, I never realized how good old polys look when you're viewing them at a decent resolution. Kinda wanna go back and emulate all those ps1 Square rpgs

lazygecko

So, for all the people who enjoy the aesthetic of Metal Gear Solid, I extracted some textures from the game and dropped them into a scene in Unreal Engine 4 a while ago. The nearest neighbor filtering on the low res textures, rendered with really nice IQ looks ace. The texture work in MGS is actually really nice considering they were working with sub 64x64 textures for most of the game.
16765891634_e2d5bee09b_o.png

17388141211_c795ee3272_o.png

I'm guessing the textures were natively crafted in that resolution to begin with instead of just downscaling them from high resolution originals, where things like sharp lines and edges tend to get really dilluted. Hell, I even think Quake 1 had hand-crafted mipmaps from what I remember.

I was drooling over the idea of making an old school 3D game in UE4 earlier and now you've just wetted my apetite further.

bengraven

This is why I love Minecraft landscapes.

I still wish his space game would have happened - an open world game full of 1998 PC graphics.

just finished my first playthrough of Klonoa.

was such a pleasure - wonderful game.

klonoa-1.jpg

Wait a second, you played an old game years after release and your eyes didn't fall out of your head from all those poorly aged graphics? /s

This is proof that games with an attractive aesthetic and art style "hold up" definitively. I hate when people dismiss great games simply because they came out a certain amount of time ago. Yes, it may be frustrating to play a game that lacks mechanics that the genre has since adapted but that's like being mad that black and white films weren't made in color.

Junahu

Not a big fan.

I don't know, it's like it tries too hard to be low poly. It doesn't feel like it's trying to recreate that PSOne aesthetic. Just like Grow Home.
That's almost assuredly the way low poly games will be made to look now. When people invoke low-poly, they want the viewer to notice the lack of polygons, because it's an art choice.
During the days of early textured-3D, developers went out of their way to hide their polygon use with clever textures, gouraud shading, and other tricks. They didn't want to look old or dated. They didn't want to be a 16bit sprite rpg, or a janky angular PS1 platformer.
And that's the part of retro game design that people never really account for.

You won't find much in the way of low-poly as a restriction nowadays, outside of LOD models.
LoftwingEagusSS.png

or Pokemon Blast
Serperior-Pok%C3%A9monRumbleBlast-Model.png

bengraven

My RDR glitched a week or so ago and I had no idea the game had LOD low poly models. They all popped into the foreground though. I was walking through Thieves Landing and everyone looked like they just stepped out of a textureless early N64 game.

ghibli99

Klonoa is such a great example of mixing 2D and 3D. I wish devs would make more games like this. Plus, that 60fps helps!

jett

D-Member
I'm guessing the textures were natively crafted in that resolution to begin with instead of just downscaling them from high resolution originals, where things like sharp lines and edges tend to get really dilluted. Hell, I even think Quake 1 had hand-crafted mipmaps from what I remember.

I was drooling over the idea of making an old school 3D game in UE4 earlier and now you've just wetted my apetite further.

No doubt, MGS1's textures are pretty much pixel art.

Lijik

Pocco Eco is a neat looking game on iOS with the more modern low poly aesthetic
adventures_of_poco_eco_09-1024x577.jpg

screen1136x1136-111.jpeg

the game didnt run too well on my old phone so i dont know if its actually a good game or not, but it looks neat

Pocco Eco is a neat looking game on iOS with the more modern low poly aesthetic
adventures_of_poco_eco_09-1024x577.jpg

screen1136x1136-111.jpeg

the game didnt run too well on my old phone so i dont know if its actually a good game or not, but it looks neat
Puzzle wise, it's simple and easy, but it's more of a musical and artistic experience than a game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I really loved Stunt Race FX way back. I never owned it, but rented it multiple times from our local video store. It was definitely my first console game I played with polygons, although I'm sure I had played a few PC games with them prior to it. Certainly not as good looking as some great examples here, but it's what sticks out in my mind when someone mentions 'low poly games'.

8sOwGsX.png

A-V-B

I think, like anything, it's all about the art style. Vector graphics, 2d sprites, low poly 3d graphics... if the art style's great, who cares what tech they used?

Still waiting for Kenneth Fejer to make (a) PC game(s) featuring his low-poly, colorful low-res-textured modeling. The guy's talented with using as few tris as possible, in coordination with readable, detailed textures, in order to first replicate and then make his own the look of games like Rockman Dash. I'm not sure if he'd want to use the models in game engines like those made for the fifth-generation consoles, though; for me they'd look just as great in higher rendering resolutions.

I also think models rendered in id Tech 2 look cool because of how unstable and jittery they render, as in the character models ripple all over yet never explode like that would imply (based on visual language/patterns I've absorbed).

Jaeger

koNeH0h.png
VhUmeYg.gif
aUZjlja.gif

Emulated gifs of PS1/Saturn games. was the point I was making.

But what purpose does this serve in this thread? Who said the images weren't taken via emulators (sans the PC titles, of course). Are you even ware of what this thread is about in the first place? Or did you see some screenshots, and hit the reply button?

RedSwirl

Hopefully we see more indies try out more ambitious 3D games with low-poly graphics. I just wish more would give up the Minecraft aesthetic.

I keep wondering when they'll start pumping out immersive sims on the same level as System Shock 2 or Deus Ex, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that no one is going to be able to make games that deep unless they actually stick to 1999 graphics at best. Even Dishonored is a sort of concession to this idea since it has a stylized look that's not as heavily detailed as Deus Ex Human Revolution.

We have a few coming around I guess. Eldridch, Delver, Spirits of Xanadu, Starshock, etc.

I find this threads OP funny because none of those games can run on any 90's hardware as is outside maybe the Dreamcast.

Most pixel indie games wouldn't run on 90's hardware.

AESplusF

Wait a second, you played an old game years after release and your eyes didn't fall out of your head from all those poorly aged graphics? /s

This is proof that games with an attractive aesthetic and art style "hold up" definitively. I hate when people dismiss great games simply because they came out a certain amount of time ago. Yes, it may be frustrating to play a game that lacks mechanics that the genre has since adapted but that's like being mad that black and white films weren't made in color.

The PS1 era FF games hold up so well on the Vita, granted the graphics are more charming than they are impressive now.
A lot of games from that era have some sort of magic that is really rare today, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Oh and the PlayStation version of Klonoa looks just about a billion times lovelier than the Wii version.

ApharmdX

Banned
The lack of bilinear texture filtering kills this aesthetic for me. I loved both the PS1 and the Saturn but it was an ugly time, especially as a gamer with a PC/3D accelerator, and coming from the lovely 16 bit 2D hand-crafted feel to the dead pre-rendered backgrounds, blurry low-res textures, pixel crawl of the PS1 and Saturn, etc., I would not say that it was a beautiful time.

Console 3D gaming impressed me with the Dreamcast. Most games were still low-poly but had much better textures and texture filtering.

AESplusF

A lot of the low-poly indie games being posted aren't really scratching my itch, so here are a couple of games that do this right IMO:

"Cautious V" by Jordan Speer aka. Beefstrong on itch.io
You can play it here

42Cc17H.png

LBqLEXT.png

x42G7fV.png

3qt6rrm.png

A game in progress called "Crypt Underworld" by Lily Zone aka. neotenomie on itch.io

tumblr_ndi1cou3h41u0su5zo1_500.png

CBXx7Z6UQAA_ron.png:large

CBXx7CpVAAAbixL.png:large

CBXx7GEUMAAACZU.png:large

CBXx7KyUkAAAxb3.png:large

You can watch a short video of in-progress gameplay here

Oh and for those of you who don't know about itch.io, it's basically indie/free games paradise.

orioto

Good Art™
Ashen seems incredible, and some other modern low poly games. I'm just bored with the plein flat look ala Faceted Flight (which looks super good) cause this aesthetic is already the big overdone fad lol.

Top Bottom