• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

LowTierGod and Ceroblast banned from all Evo events for "hateful racial and transphobic language"

Nymphae

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
Canada

EVO organizer Joey "Mr. Wizard" Cuellar closed doors to all EVO events for two fighting game community members over the weekend after both posted hateful language on the internet.

Dalauan "LowTierGod" Sparrow and Joshua "CeroBlast" Tran received their respective bans on April 18 and April 19, the prior for transphobic speech and the latter for use of a racial slur.

The inciting incident occurred on April 15 during one of Sparrow's live stream sessions. Both players met in a Street Fighter 5 online bout that never concluded as Sparrow exited the match during the second round.

Upon leaving, a frustrated Sparrow ranted for roughly a minute and a half about Tran, who recently came out as a non-binary transexual person. Said rant, which was filled with homo and transphobic slurs and hateful comments, was clipped and shared multiple times on social media.

Tournament organizers for CEO and Combo Breaker, Alex Jebailey and Rick "TheHadou" Thiher, both issued Twitter statements banning Sparrow on April 16. Word eventually reached EVO staff and Cuellar informed the community via Twitter that Sparrow had been sent an email informing him that he had been banned from all EVO events.

Shortly after the news of LTG's ban was made public, followers of the situation began bringing up an unrelated social media interaction from back on March 23 between Tran and a player named BigNastyKail in which Tran used the N-word toward Kail.

Cuellar posted to Tran's Twitter on the evening of April 19 to tell her that she was "also not welcome at any EVO events for the foreseeable future." Other major tournament organizers followed in suit, and Tran announced soon thereafter that she had been "officially banned from all tournaments next year."

Update: Capcom basically said fuck the both of them

I really don't want to bring this up again That's a damned lie YES I DO! but...damn. I guess that's tha.. and Big E on his private facebook also said banned permanently . They could go even further and start pulling copyright for streaming from them also

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
I can't find the offensive items in question. It was only a matter of time for LTG but I'm surprised about Ceroblast, I thought that dude was trans for a while.

Last edited:

Ahjumbie

Mar 26, 2013
I can't find the offensive items in question. It was only a matter of time for LTG but I'm surprised about Ceroblast, I thought that dude was trans for a while.
I used to watch Ceroblasts streams before and never really heard anything that bad but definitely no angel . A volatile , sh*t talking rage quitter like LTG so I definitely believe it

Wimbledon

Dec 7, 2018
I still need to play LTG in SSB ultimate. I was on his Youtube Stream joined his room and everything and i was up next to play this dude.....but he rage quit in the previous match and jumped on another game.

My friends kept saying he was ducking me in the chat, cause he didn't want to keep losing matches to his followers/viewers. Wasted 20 dollars trying to get in a match with him.

I was salty about it but i still want to body this dude in SSB ultimate.

Nymphae

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
I used to watch Ceroblasts streams before and never really heard anything that bad but definitely no angel . A volatile , sh*t talking rage quitter like LTG so I definitely believe it

Seeing a bunch of people in the EH comments saying context is key here and Cero basically just dropped an N bomb without much malice (comment was claiming to be a black person), whereas LTG is constantly butthurt and using insults in malicious ways (the worst I saw was the Brolylegs match he lost)

Last edited:

LordKasual

Banned
Jul 28, 2016
"Whatever nigga" got him banned?

So the EVO people gonna pretend like they never stepped foot in a local before? This was a stupid ass counterban.

I'm surprised LTG wasn't long since been banned from tournaments/locals after his shit with Viscant, but if we're banning people over "nigga" then like 75% of the FGC is on the chopping block.

The thing that makes Cero's ban so stupid is because I KNOW the FGC is diverse as fuck an can easily tell a malicious "nigga" from a general one.....so this was very clearly an "appease the other side before we become controversial" ban that isn't going to end well for anyone.

This whole thing is why Twitter is trash. The internet is regressing.

Last edited:

Life

Jul 25, 2019
Shi'....if you really start scrutinizing people that enter tournaments...you gotta do lots of banning. Anyhow the FGC doesn't matter to 99.99% of the population. Some controversy like this would have actually done the community some good. IMagine them in tournament - backstory, drama etc etc. Something to talk about and garner attention.

Ahjumbie

Mar 26, 2013
Seeing a bunch of people in the EH comments saying context is key here and Cero basically just dropped an N bomb without much malice (comment was claiming to be a black person), whereas LTG is constantly butthurt and using insults in malicious ways (the worst I saw was the Brolylegs match he lost)
That is true , I've heard him rage and lose his sh*t before but he never came across as racist or homophobic(duh). I've seen a few posts of him using "nigga" on Twitter posted by LTG on his Facebook page (have no idea how he's on my personal page) but I've also seen multiple tweets from Marn and Sherry as well saying it . Probably why Alex jebailey started blocking people and made his Twitter private

Last edited:
Reactions: Nymphae
Apr 25, 2012
Berlin, Germany
Shi'....if you really start scrutinizing people that enter tournaments...you gotta do lots of banning. Anyhow the FGC doesn't matter to 99.99% of the population. Some controversy like this would have actually done the community some good. IMagine them in tournament - backstory, drama etc etc. Something to talk about and garner attention.
If controversy is the only entertaining thing about your entertainment event, you got other problems to deal with.

Nymphae

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
That literal wake up DP Cero did on his stream a few weeks back was amazing. Dude fell asleep in his chain during a match, physically woke up and connected with a wakeup DP and won the round lol.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: MiyazakiHatesKojima
Oct 2, 2019
Regardless of this incident, these orignizers have sanitized the FGC beyond recognition all in order to get that sweet ESPN $$$.

What made the FGC so fun to watch was the trash talking and grudge matches, it's the same thing that makes watching wrestling fun and drew in viewers, hell it what made boxing so hot in the 60's-70's with the trash talking of Ali.

This "inclusivity" shit has killed what makes competition fun, now men have to argue and hiss at each others backs like literal teenage girls.

sonomamashine

Jun 29, 2019
Against the assault of laughter
Regardless of this incident, these orignizers have sanitized the FGC beyond recognition all in order to get that sweet ESPN $$$.

What made the FGC so fun to watch was the trash talking and grudge matches, it's the same thing that makes watching wrestling fun and drew in viewers, hell it what made boxing so hot in the 60's-70's with the trash talking of Ali.

This "inclusivity" shit has killed what makes competition fun, now men have to argue and hiss at each others backs like literal teenage girls.

Amaranty

Nov 22, 2019
I still need to play LTG in SSB ultimate. I was on his Youtube Stream joined his room and everything and i was up next to play this dude.....but he rage quit in the previous match and jumped on another game.

My friends kept saying he was ducking me in the chat, cause he didn't want to keep losing matches to his followers/viewers. Wasted 20 dollars trying to get in a match with him.

I was salty about it but i still want to body this dude in SSB ultimate.
Why on earth would you pay him 20 dollars so you could fight him? You probably already knew he is a constant rage quitter. Even when he fights donators, he immediately either ragequits or stops playing when he starts losing.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Jun 11, 2018

So the EVO people gonna pretend like they never stepped foot in a local before? This was a stupid ass counterban.

I'm surprised LTG wasn't long since been banned from tournaments/locals after his shit with Viscant, but if we're banning people over "nigga" then like 75% of the FGC is on the chopping block.

The thing that makes Cero's ban so stupid is because I KNOW the FGC is diverse as fuck an can easily tell a malicious "nigga" from a general one.....so this was very clearly an "appease the other side before we become controversial" ban that isn't going to end well for anyone.

This whole thing is why Twitter is trash. The internet is regressing.

Thts crazy. Shit if tht was me I'd be banned a long time ago as I use the term "my nigga" or "whatever my nigga" all the time. It is indeed about context. Thts bs imo. It's not like when Ninja used the term one time and it didn't have a positive connotation at all when he said it.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006

I don't know who Cero is but she is definitely trans:

I'm guessing they were shittalking each other and the black guy called her a "tranny" or something and then she dropped the n-bomb? Gaming has really gone to shit if people can't even shittalk anymore.

Nevermind, looks like they literally just made stereotype jokes at each other and incited black Twitter and trans Twitter against the other lmao

It's a double edged intersectional pincer attack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caffeine

Nymphae

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
I don't know who Cero is but she is definitely trans

Well that's relatively new, FGC commentators have been using male pronouns pretty much all the time, I assumed male because I figured pansies like James Chen had their pronoun game on point.

Last edited:
Reactions: thenoo

Whitesnake

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I appreciate the attempt at consistency.

If you wanna bitch and moan about other people saying offensive shit, you don’t get to complain when that same sword is pointed at you.

Also note the contrasting responses by the people involved. LTG doubled down on the dumb shit he said. The man honestly says whatever’s on his insane mind, sometimes for the better, usually for the worse.

Cero, on other the hand, gave a bullshit “sorry I got caught” apology wherein he tried to excuse his behavior by saying he hangs around black people and gained their vocabulary through osmosis, thus implying that he has never in his life known that the word was offensive until this incident, which coincidentally just so happens to be the first time it’s had significant consequences.

K1Expwy

Nov 28, 2018

It seems like a contradiction of the games that Joey and the rest make their money from. In 1v1 fighting games, you have to hold your own without looking around for the adult in the room to bail you out. That's how the community operated since the 90s, and it's been very inclusive, long before it became a marketing term.
Turn fighting games into the PGA Tour, and any beef that isn't allowed to be settled at the competition, will spill out elsewhere. And guess what, social media and etc will direct their attention there, instead of boring sanitized esports

Aug 28, 2019
www.instagram.com

Wait THAT got Cero banned? Okay, that's kinda ridiculous. Like, context matters and Cero never struck me as being a malicious person. A hentai perv, yes, but that can be said for almost anybody these days.

Plus while I don't want to use it as an example since it kinda falls into "but my best friend is..." trope, he's chilled with El Chakotay a number of times. I know some SJW would want to twist that into something else but I just take things at face value and someone getting banned for what seemed like a joking brush-off comment like that is a bit ridiculous, regardless their skin color.

Better question is why did it take so long for them to ban LTG; he's been toxic for years against pretty much everyone but especially black people. If you told me he was a blind black klansman I would've believed you. Dude has some real issues to work through.

LordKasual

Banned
Jul 28, 2016
Thts crazy. Shit if tht was me I'd be banned a long time ago as I use the term "my nigga" or "whatever my nigga" all the time. It is indeed about context. Thts bs imo. It's not like when Ninja used the term one time and it didn't have a positive connotation at all when he said it.

It's so dumb.

You can have a mixed group of black/white/asian/latino and "nigga" could casually come out of all of their mouths without anyone batting an eye -- it all depends on the individual, their culture, background, ect. Admittedly i never see white people casually using the n-word but Asians? Latinos? Bruh.

I feel like anyone who's ACTUALLY in the FGC (as in, goes to locals, converses with people) knows this because we're a pretty diverse crowd. So the idea that someone non-black got banned for saying "nigga" is stupid as hell. I dont watch Cero so i have no idea what she sounds like in casual conversation, but regardless, "whatever nigga" is offensive only to someone who's desperately looking for something to be offensive.

I appreciate the attempt at consistency.

If you wanna bitch and moan about other people saying offensive shit, you don’t get to complain when that same sword is pointed at you.

Also note the contrasting responses by the people involved. LTG doubled down on the dumb shit he said. The man honestly says whatever’s on his insane mind, sometimes for the better, usually for the worse.

Cero, on other the hand, gave a bullshit “sorry I got caught” apology wherein he tried to excuse his behavior by saying he hangs around black people and gained their vocabulary through osmosis, thus implying that he has never in his life known that the word was offensive until this incident, which coincidentally just so happens to be the first time it’s had significant consequences.

There is absolutely nothing consistent about this. LTG's ban is a surprise to literally nobody, he's a moron. His whole gig is literally to be as toxic of a moron as possible.

Cero's ban on the other hand is the literal equivalent of "digging up some shit on twitter to get someone banned" and it actually working.

Shittalk is in the DNA of the FGC, and LTG has ALWAYS been an extreme outlier......so now that we're banning people, we're now deciding that Ceroblast's history is as inflammatory as Low Tier God's and thus is equally banworthy?

Grade-A stupid ass clown shit. The hypocrisy of people praising this counterban is crazy to me, i don't think the internet knows what it wants anymore.

We're now praising someone getting banned for shit talking someone who was shit talking them first. The fuck is even going on anymore

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Wimbledon

Dec 7, 2018
Why on earth would you pay him 20 dollars so you could fight him? You probably already knew he is a constant rage quitter. Even when he fights donators, he immediately either ragequits or stops playing when he starts losing.

I knew he was a rage quitter, but i still wanted to 3 stock him in smash. Even though he's toxic i do think the dude is hilarious mainly because he rages against everyone and then instantly bans them.

I meant to spend only 10$ but i accidentally sent 10$ like a donation rather then 10$ to have him add me on the switch so that i could play him. So i spent another 10$ to have him add me on smash.

Plus me and my friends randomly saw him streaming jumped in discord, and i told everyone i wanted to play him. Up until the match he raged in , he actually played full matches.

Last edited:

Fuz

Jun 8, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
literally nothing
I understand you don't wanna write it yourself. Any link to it?
People here are already raising their pitchforks without even knowing what they said *exactly*. And I think we learned not to take anything from the regressive left at face value.
I wanna know before I judge.

Last edited:

Shrap

Aug 26, 2019
Don't know who Ceroblast is but I'm surprised LTG isn't already banned from every event out there. I won't lie, the shit he stirs can be entertaining and funny but he really is an asshole and a massive risk for any gaming event.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Dec 25, 2019
Prague, Czech Republic
Watched the video. Where is the "phobia" at?
I mean "phobia" it's most likely silent, but I guess that something minority-phobia is used if you attack someone for just that they are part of that group. I normally does not see this thing behind everything, but this is pretty blatant. To me he sounds like uncreative dumbass, which goes on some stupid rant, which should sound edgy, while having 10 IQ and that's why he deserve the shit which is coming his way. Not the mention, what would he do on EVO, he can't play shit.

Nymphae

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Has he ever even been on stream anywhere for big tournaments? The only place I've seen this guy outside of his stream and rage quit comps, is that FGC reality TV show thing where everyone was in a house together, I forget the name.

MasterDerico

Feb 1, 2020
What EVO?
They not cancelled yet due to Covid-19?

About the thread, my opinion is: i respect those people, but I don't applause.
Those two are morons for not respect them.

It's their fault too for up a flag about what their do in private. Consequences is inevitable.

• Thoughtful

LordKasual

Banned
Jul 28, 2016

The hell are you talking about? LTG's level of inflammatory is just about the only person you're going to find doing that IRL outside of people who legitimately can't handle their losses and end up on rage compilation videos.

At most you'll get a few pop-offs, but i'm 100% positive the only reason LTG went that hard with the insults in that video is because he KNEW Viscant wasn't gonna escalate / swing on him. He was just being a bully -- if something like that happened where I live, there's about a 60% chance it would have ended in a more serious altercation.

Personal insults of LTG's calibur are extremely rare, even among the most heated FGC rivalries. And the reason i KNOW LTG was only doing that because he knew it wasn't going to escalate is because he's gone to local tournaments with people he's talked shit about and was nothing but respectful.

the kind of rage that LTG is known for is the type of childish, bitchmade shit that the FGC usually attributes to like, Smash players or something. Most people aren't this immature, the majority of the FGC at this point is composed of grown ass men.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nixonomics

Shouta

Jun 6, 2004

Well that's relatively new, FGC commentators have been using male pronouns pretty much all the time, I assumed male because I figured pansies like James Chen had their pronoun game on point.

Cero came out pretty recently so the change in pronoun has only occurred in the last few weeks.

Oct 2, 2019
The hell are you talking about? LTG's level of inflammatory is just about the only person you're going to find doing that IRL outside of people who legitimately can't handle their losses and end up on rage compilation videos.

At most you'll get a few pop-offs, but i'm 100% positive the only reason LTG went that hard with the insults in that video is because he KNEW Viscant wasn't gonna escalate / swing on him. He was just being a bully -- if something like that happened where I live, there's about a 60% chance it would have ended in a more serious altercation.

Personal insults of LTG's calibur are extremely rare, even among the most heated FGC rivalries.

the kind of rage that LTG is known for is the type of childish, bitchmade shit that the FGC usually attributes to like, Smash players or something. Most people aren't this immature, the majority of the FGC at this point is composed of grown ass men.
I'm not defending low tier scrub, my point is that because of e-sports you don't get any sort of trash talking or grudge matches which what made the FGC different and highly entertaining.

Re-read my post, i put the video as an example.