• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LPVG: Switch prototype powered by USB-C

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This is great news. We won't have another gen of chargergate.

According to our source at Nintendo, as well as a source close to the production of the reveal trailer for the Switch, the hardware model shown in the reveal featured a USB-C port for power, situated in the centre of the bottom edge of the tablet. This port will be able to be used to charge the handheld while away from the Switch Dock.

Additionally, both sources have made it clear that the position of the USB-C port on the handheld means you will not be able to charge it while the system is propped up on its kickstand.

This seems like a weird omission, but will hopefully be fixed by launch - if not, I'll continue to use the Kid Icarus Uprising stand.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...by-usb-c-cannot-be-charged-in-kickstand-mode/

Durante

This is the one thing they absolutely need to get right on the final model too.

Good news that they got it right on the dev kit / prototypes.

LewieP

They're dragging out these headlines, huh?

A simple but incredibly important detail, it will be so much more usable as a portable if it uses a standard charging port, and USB-C is going to become more and more ubiquitous going forward.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gamechanger. Absolute gamechanger if this stays.

Exuro

Not being able to be charged in kickstand mode is annoying. Wonder if that will change for the final model.

Though I'm guessing the dock uses it for video so that's why its on the bottom rather than the top.

I just bought a Pixel, so I'm ready for a USB-C future.

And when the thing gets inevitably cracked open, maybe they can USB-C OTG cables for unnecessary homebrew stuff like gamecube controllers.

georly

USB-C is brilliant for a variety of reasons, not just because it's a very consumer friendly move, as well.

It's reversible (no need to make sure it's being plugged in the right way)
It's really good at data transfer
It's really good at video transfer

This allows the system to connect to the dock with one port and do a variety of things, like displaying video to the TV. It also means they're not hardware constrained and can eventually support more peripherals via the USB ports on the dock via updates.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Good news - first time in a while that it feels like a Nintendo device is checking the right boxes.

Great news. Seems like the possible storage issues might be the big "Nintendo" annoyance this time around. Glad that battery life and charging won't be an issue.

Thraktor

This makes a lot of sense, and it's nice that they're not going proprietary. It's a single connector that, when undocked, allows fast charging via soon-to-be ubiquitous USB-C chargers, and while docked allows power delivery, video output and USB passthrough all through a single standardised connector.

nikatapi

That is great news, no more proprietary chargers. Hopefully this stays true on the final product.

I still wonder how easy it will be to dock the tablet, without scratching or trying too much to get it aligned to the port.

Nintendo's charger for use away from the dock has been leaked too:

charjabug.png

I'll be playing at home mostly, always near an outlet but not necessarily near a TV, so this really is a straight-up portable console. Holy shit, this really is exciting!

I was afraid that, if Nintendo decides to use non-proprietary connector this time around, they would use aging microUSB or almost ancient miniUSB. (They used one for Wii U Pro Controller!) Not only that wouldn't be a very forward-looking decision, it would only create more confusion about what current does Switch require to be charged - something I despise about modern implementations of USB.

So, great news if true!

Zalusithix

About time they adopted an actual standard for charging.

Edit:
I was afraid that, if Nintendo decides to use non-proprietary connector this time around, they would use aging microUSB or almost ancient miniUSB. (They used one for Wii U Pro Controller!) Not only that wouldn't be a very forward-looking decision, it would only create more confusion about what current does Switch require to be charged - something I despise about modern implementations of USB.

So, great news if true!
And that still would have been infinitely preferable to going their own.

Good to hear about USB-C, but I'm a little upset that they designed it in such a way that the kickstand cannot be used when charging. That also means you won't be able to (comfortably) prop the console up on your stomach when playing in bed or on a couch.

Considering how creatively engineered the rest of this thing is, that particular design hiccup is kinda surprising to me.

Neoxon

We kinda deduced this by analyzing the trailer, but it's nice to have someone back up our suspicions.

LewieP

Hang on.

If the charging port is on the base, does that mean you can't charge it whilst using it with the kickstand?

Edit: Yeah article says this.

georly

No, it really doesn't, but it is good to know they are using a standard.

It doesn't reduce it to 0 problem, but it reduces the inconvenience of it by quite a bit. Most people don't frequently go 3+ hours without access to a power outlet for the majority of their normal day. For those that do, 3 hours is a pain, but there are other power solutions to that, like USB power banks. Still hopeful this is better than 3 hours under 'normal circumstances' (not max brightness, power saving modes, etc).

Hang on.

If the charging port is on the base, does that mean you can't charge it whilst using it with the kickstand?

Very likely to be true, unfortunately, but I'm sure there will be 3rd party solutions to this.

J-Skee

This is great news, but you can't charge with the kickstand up? Hopefully that changes in the final product.

Zedark

Okay, nice. This solves the potential short battery life problem completely for me.

Not being able to be charged in kickstand mode is annoying. Wonder if that will change for the final model.

I'd say it's a minor annoyance at best, I certainly would prefer to play the system as a handheld rather than as a screen with separate controller, especially for a duration of 3 hours. Still, it'd have been best if they could have put it on the top so it would always be accessible, but maybe that just wasn't feasible (it definitely would have looked rather strange).

Top Bottom