• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LPVG: Ubisoft Developing Rabbids & Mario Crossover RPG For Switch Launch Day

Which Western Publisher x Nintendo collaboration are you most looking forward to?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dystify

Update: Liam Robertson from Unseen64 says the game is more like X-Com (a tactical RPG). Source.

No, today is not April 1st.

According to both of our sources at Ubisoft and Nintendo, on the day the Switch launches, it’ll launch alongside a new Ubisoft-developed turn based RPG, with the name suggesting it will be a crossover of the Raving Rabbids and Mario series.
The game, whose formal title has not yet been confirmed but is currently under the working title “Mario RPG: Invasion of the Rabbids”, is being developed under the watchful monitoring of Nintendo, ensuring that it both hits launch day and that it conforms to Nintendo’s own internal specifications for how Mario characters and iconography should be presented.

The title will focus on the Mario universe being invaded by Ubisoft’s Rabbids characters, some friend and some foe, and will feature a new Bowser form based around the design of the Rabbids as a recurring boss enemy. While there will be numerous cameo appearances from the Mario series’ best known characters, the core party will feature numerous, more minor characters. There is a particular focus on Yoshi as a primary party member, alongside a playable Rabbid.

The title will have a playable demo ready for press to experience in January, and will feature a quicksave system to ensure that saving is possible on short notice if the battery on the Switch handheld is running low. Part of the planned press demo includes the JoyCons vibrating to imply a Rabbid jumping into and out of them from the TV or handheld screen. The idea is to imply your system is infested with Rabbids, and that they could at any time jump out of your controller and interfere with gameplay.

The title is going to be one of the cornerstone trailers shown when Nintendo details the system further in January. Nintendo intends to pitch the project to consumers as a Mario RPG project in collaboration with Ubisoft, in spite of Ubisoft doing most of the work on development

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...ds-mario-crossover-rpg-for-switch-launch-day/

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I didnt see this coming....hah.

I like Mario, i like RPGs, i like Mario RPGs and the Rabbids were pretty cool.

Could be GotY or the worst thing ever lol.

Thoraxes

Oh wow, what?

This is kinda nuts as far as their collabs go. Ubi usually goes all-in on platform launches, and if this pans out true it seems like that's payed off for them.

Also, would this be a return of the Mario RPG IP itself?

Galang

Banned
I'd be there for an any type of Rayman and Mario crossover even it was an RPG. Rabbits though... I just find them ugly and annoying sadly. I don't like the idea of this at all

Could be fun!

That said, the concept is weird as fuck. But that's why it could be fun!

I'm also glad it's not being developed by Alpha Dream. Time for something fresh.

-shadow-

idontknowhowtofeelabo05oao.png

Chindogg

An Ubisoft developed Mario RPG.

Makes me wonder if they'll go back more towards Square's Mario RPG or maybe a whole other different direction.

kaitain19

Is Nabbit going to be revealed to be a Rabbid in this game? Because, well... it sounds like something that's just crazy enough for Nintendo to pull off.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This could be big if its a quality game - Minion type of characters fusing with a big IP (Mario). Need a trailer...now.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A RPG? This might actually be neat if done well.

This tidbit is interesting:

Part of the planned press demo includes the JoyCons vibrating to imply a Rabbid jumping into and out of them from the TV or handheld screen. The idea is to imply your system is infested with Rabbids, and that they could at any time jump out of your controller and interfere with gameplay.

This confirms the leak earlier this year that the joycons have some advanced rumble/vibration thing. I guess this is one of the things not yet shown by Nintendo.

Kikorin

I really hope this is fake, I can't care less about rabbids :(

Edit:
I'm pretty sure the game would be good anyway.

Chastten

Banned
Ubi getting a decent licensing deal from Nintendo after being burned on the Wii U makes sense.

Never played a Rabbids game though, so not sure if this particular one makes sense.

Zalman

I'm not a fan of the idea, but hey, maybe it will be cool! At least it's being developed by Ubisoft, so it's not taking up too many of Nintendo's resources. Interesting idea to say the least.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Could actually be pretty cool if they Rabbids don't completely take over the game. They fit in with the other 'strange invaders' we've seen in the Mario RPG games.

13ruce

Banned
Well i'm happy they are finally lending out their IP's to other devs. They should have done that waaaaaaaaaaay earlier.

It sounds crazy but a new Mario rpg? Hell yes!
I hope Rayman appears in the game.

Santar

I would be more excited if it wasn't developed by Ubisoft. I have yet to play a good rpg from them. Child of Light wasn't very good sadly.

I would love to see what Nintendo can do with the rabbids. I've always liked there look and style but I feel they were underused by Ubisoft .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom