• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Assassin's Creed III

I'm trying to think of how else he could be written without making people cry foul for turning him white.

He's inherently not going to be able to speak with the same kind of wit that Ezio and Edward do, because the game is about him interacting with a people, culture, and language he's not familiar with. These people have also destroyed his homeland, and even if they hadn't, even if he was somehow on good terms with white people, they'd be predisposed toward treating him differently anyway. He's not going to feel like being wry and witty.

What can you do with a Native American in that time period to make him likable and identifiable? Maybe I'm just not creative enough.

This is about all I can think of, but the movie's mostly a comedy and doesn't pretend to be historic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_nYT8WhFjk
He was basically Native American Altair, only he's also native american forest gump in that almost every major historical event in the US at the time of the game runs through him somehow.

the biggest issue Connor has is that he had to compete with a better character in Haytham. Connor's ethnicity has little to do with how we perceive him, it's his lack of a personality and the fact that he's almost always more boring than anyone he interacts with.

With Ezio, you initially had a very well developed revenge plot that drove that character. they tried to do the same with Connor, only they probably felt that they couldnt really develop his familial ties without making the beginning of the game 10 hours long. Connor is probably more of a victim of the odd pacing of Asscreed 3 than anything else, really.

He was basically Native American Altair, only he's also native american forest gump in that almost every major historical event in the US at the time of the game runs through him somehow.

the biggest issue Connor has is that he had to compete with a better character in Haytham. Connor's ethnicity has little to do with how we perceive him, it's his lack of a personality and the fact that he's almost always more boring than anyone he interacts with.

With Ezio, you initially had a very well developed revenge plot that drove that character. they tried to do the same with Connor, only they probably felt that they couldnt really develop his familial ties without making the beginning of the game 10 hours long. Connor is probably more of a victim of the odd pacing of Asscreed 3 than anything else, really.

Here's a quote of mine from another thread that explains the reason for Connor and Haytham's differences. You may find Connor boring but his depth is much greater than that of his father who is very one-dimensional. The articles linked are a great read if you're interested.

He's naive. He's a foreigner on his own soil. He's torn between father and mentor, family and creed, loyalty and liberty. He's played like a fiddle by his father, his mentor, the first civ and everyone who seeks his aid yet he's such a driving and compelling force behind the folks at the homestead. It's this contrast that MAKES AC3. It's loaded with it, but people can't see past being a character that they deem boring simply because he's not a charming everyman.

There are also great points in these articles:
http://whatculture.com/gaming/assassins-creed-3-reasons-connor-far-better-ezio.php

http://www.leviathyn.com/opinion/2013/04/03/hes-not-perfect-but-connor-kenway-doesnt-suck/

It's practically spelled out for us BECAUSE of the prologue and Haytham's personality and its contrast to the main game. It's like gamers need to be spoon fed their ideal man to be able to play without issue as opposed to having the maturity to appreciate subtlety and character flaws. And people wonder about race and gender depictions in gaming...

Haytham had it so easy and he doesn't even have much of a conflict snd can just waltz into a new nation, make a list and do his thing. A game featuring him would be when he's still green, becoming that man. Connor is that man for the homestead and a sequel could have showed us that.

prag16

Banned
I agree with you, TC. My favorite AC game (that I've played; also tried 1, 2, and 4, and didn't like them).

I'm not sure how "hated" the game really is. To be honest. 95% of the hate has been limited to this forum. Elsewhere, including anecdotal accounts from friends, professional reviews, and other forums I've seen, it's nothing like it is here, for some reason.

EDIT: Also, post right above me; great post. Connor is the best main protagonist in the series in my opinion.

Biggest problem with the game is that Connor is boring. The intro with Haytham set the bar too high, and for the rest of the (very boring) game you have to tool around with Connor "Buzz-Killington" Ratonhnhaké:ton.
I honestly tried to finish it as quickly as possible once I had that realization, thinking the DLC packs would be better. I love alternate history! King Washington? Sure!
5 minutes into the first episode, and it all came rushing back. Uninstalled forever.

Dunan

Can't say I liked this game -- the obnoxious intrusion of side quest elements like huting animals was way too in-your-face, and there were tons of missed opportunities plot-wise -- but it had its good points. I especially liked the extensive use of the Mohawk language; I intentionally failed the hide-and-seek mission during Connor's chidhood just so that I could learn how to count all the way to 30!

QaaQer

ac3.jpg

Having played every other AC game up to and including Unity (ugh), I finally bit the bullet and picked up the hated third installment, the one with the terrible main character, the boring setting, the one that takes ten hours to get started. The one that almost buried the franchise for good, but for Ubisoft enlisting a bunch of famous pirates to dig it out of the mud afterwards. At least I'd know for myself how badly they messed up after the great ACII & Brotherhood.

And what do you know, ten hours in, it's amazing!

I can't believe people complained about the opening, pre-Connor sections. It's a clear storytelling highpoint for the series, carefully introducing new characters and settings, and then suddenly pulling the rug out from under you with a great plot twist (which I didn't see coming). Following that you get to experience Connor's life in an isolated tribe in the American wilderness, which feels very different to previous AC games. What I'd been led to believe was a flat, snowy expanse dotted with trees is actually a beautifully designed, rugged, varied and dynamic environment. Even the new tree and rock climbing stuff works well.

Silly as it is, I'm also happy to be back with Desmond and that whole present day narrative, after Black Flag and Unity watered that stuff down to the point that it may as well not have been there.

Maybe the whole thing takes a huge nosedive in quality later on, but with the ship combat still to come (the only aspect of the game people seemed to praise when it was originally released) I doubt it.

I'm with you on this one. The game had ambition and goals beyond 'fun stabbing simulator'. Ubi hired native actors and an anthropologist to nail the native sections and characters of the era. One of the main sources for the environmental artists was 'Black Robe', a fantastic historical pic that only got made because of money from the Que gov. And gamers hated it.

And like you said, the open section was a nice prelude as opposed to BFIV, which was 'here start stabbing you dumbfuck gamer.'

I really think the receptions of Far Cry 2 and AssCreed 3 have convinced Ubisoft that trying to make interesting and ambitious games with gameplay that feeds into the narrative hurts profits. So we get games like Watch Dogs, Black Flag, Farcry 2&3, etc. It's a shame.

Lack of personality? I don't really get that. Sure he didn't make vagina jokes to his mother like AssCreed2 guy, but Connor had more personality than most AAA stars. It was just not a happy funny vagina cracking one.

As an American Revolution enthusiast, I wanted to LOVE everything about this game but unfortunately, this game was the one that showed how Ubi stopped caring/copying the old format. The world was engaging but the characters fell flat at times. I did sympathize with Connor and where he was going but I wish we got more time with him to fully get his character. A part of me wanted a Connor series like we got with Ezio and maybe his character could've been fleshed out more and he would've been accepted more but I liked what we got for the game.

News Bot

Banned
The game that singlehandedly killed my love for Assassin's Creed. I even loved Brotherhood.

This right here.

Connor sucked. His story sucked. Desmond sucked. His story sucked.

Haytham was the high point and only saving grace of the game.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
this game trolled me hard, very hard

sure, i knew Connor was the lead, but Haytham had just so many awesome moments and voice acting before his son even shows up I was honestly dreading the moment he'd disappear

for those who stopped playing the serie after this, give IV a chance; sure, it's still the same repetitive open world shit, but at least it's got a better main character and wildly more appealing scenarios

How does this compare to Rogue?

I've played 1-Rev and then I skipped 3 because of the bad reviews/reception

Jumped back in with 4 and enjoyed it, unsure about trying 3 or Rogue

(I don't have a next gen system yet so haven't played Unity)

Rogue directly references areas and characters from 3. You'll want to play 3 first to get the best out of rogue.

No!! Don't be fooled! Just watch this and be caught up. AC3: The Movie.

No bad youtuber voice-over. "Only" 4hrs of the AC3 cut scenes and important story elements.

I know it sucks to watch instead of play a game. But in this case, you're avoiding 20+ hrs to get to the game you really want to play (Rogue).

vladdamad

Here's the thing about Connor - his backstory and actions throughout the game are genuinely really interesting and ambitious. Unfortunately, the writing and general execution in storytelling is really poor, so all of that potential is just squandered. If the storytelling was better, I would have enjoyed the game a lot more

Xis

I think in AC4 I remember doing assassination missions before Edward knew anything about the assassins, so he randomly found a bird with a note saying "kill this guy" and blindly and unquestionably did it

This bugged me.

Another gripe I had about IV - there's "Animus fragments" to collect all over the place, but as far as I can tell there is absolutely no in-game explanation for them them, and no purpose for them (other then 100% completion). Not even a brief "hey us Abstergo guys heard you like collecting things, so we filled the world with some nick-knacks"

I loved AC 3. Connor is my favorite Assassin. His mixed lineage and the entire Independence setting was fascinating. I feel Connor and Altair are closer to how an Assassin should be rather than Ezio or Edward who are more James Bondish. I think AC 3 was limited by limitations of last gen otherwise the scale of the game would have been perfect for PS4/XBO.

heringer

It's fascinating how polarizing this game is. Some people hate it with a passion, others think its the best AC. Some people hated Connor, some think it's the best protagonist.

I'll get the game on the next sale, just to see what this is all about. Gaf despises Unity too and I thought it was very solid.

Here's the thing about Connor - his backstory and actions throughout the game are genuinely really interesting and ambitious. Unfortunately, the writing and general execution in storytelling is really poor, so all of that potential is just squandered. If the storytelling was better, I would have enjoyed the game a lot more

I totally agree with this, I thought the protagonist in AC5 also suffered the same problem. Bland characters who just listen to random people telling them what to do with very little push back.

I mean Ezio its the man, he is on a 40+ year long revenge streak gotta respect that. Edward in AC4 was a complete reversal, a guy who just does not give any fucks and wants to make money, and all the hints about his past life were fantastic. Adewale was a great contrast, it was nice having those two characters to reflect upon choices made in a life.

I loved AC3 at the beginning, great twist at the start and the native american stuff was fantastic. And then Connor turns into a zombie, basically agreeing with whomever happens to be around. I wish they had gone for more bold choices that really made you either love him or hate him. Instead I just felt angry at how apathetic and clueless he was.

Be interesting to see what happens with AC6. I really, really wish they would do AC:Egypt, AC:China or AC:India though - set 3k+ years ago.

Ce-Lin

absolutely loved it, 213 hours, 100% everything, I'm playing the AC franchise in chronological order (I'm about to finish Unity) and ACIII is so far the best game, maybe it was the setting, the hunting, the homestead atmosphere and seeing how you were building a community, also the outstanding naval missions and fun (yet easy) combat... I guess being a sucker for that part of American history the game revolves around helps a lot too.

My first AC and I enjoyed it and liked the start also. I only agree with the Connor complaints, did not like him. This reminds me that I need to 100% it, probably never will.

Spacejaws

I enjoyed 3 to a degree but do recognize it's many flaws. Connor was wooden, broken side missions, glitched icons on map would appear and disapear rabdomly, courier/assassins side content felt unfinished and pointless, the story itself felt really pointless, future settings the worse of the entire series, underground largerly tedious, shoehorning in historical moments, glitches glitches glitches, city landscape incredibly boring, lack of areas (4 main and 1 of those is pretty empty and another you're homebase) combat hugely dumbed down, weapon selection dire and locked behind boring trade system etc

I did like however...the pretty graphics, the other performances are great, opening 10 hours, sea faring was intuitive and fun, animations looked swag, the frontier was a great locale and the wilderness stories were actually fun little gta/red dead redemption esque side content, paper collectibles were a fun change.

My biggest problem with the game though is...

you have beeb shown the main antagonists as being ruthless. Even the introduction to connor has them beat and threateb to murder a child, but the plot tries too hard to get across the idea that they wern't so evil after all, they have done it in the other games where the enemies try to justify their actions but here it felt really weak and nonsense.

AGITΩ

Given how Terrible Unity felt for me, I was also thinking about replaying (beat III before) it again just to re-experience the Desmond story again, I really do miss that kind of Modern day story, all this hacking computers/being communicated to while in the Animus the whole time, has quickly been killing the series for me.

I mean Ezio its the man, he is on a 40+ year long revenge streak gotta respect that.

TBH I felt like Ezio's revenge arc was done halfway through his first game. He killed the people who killed his family, good job Ezio, now you're a pro assassin and you've gotten your revenge.

And then there's a time skip or something and he's killing some other people who were behind some of the other machinations or something, and yeah it's cool to go after the pope, but he's already gotten his revenge. Now he's just assassinating. It wasn't un-fun but it wasn't nearly as interesting a story either. And then I just played Brotherhood because it was fun, not because Ezio was doing anything particularly interesting, and I couldn't be arsed to play Revelations.

daninthemix

Every AC game rubs me the wrong way to some extent, but AC3 was particularly bad. Stuff like spontaneous notoriety (for no apparent reason) and ceaseless combat really made me hate it. Heck, why not quote myself from a previous post:

Just been playing this myself, and thought I'd add my constructive critique:

This game is fucking AIDS.

A little tip: don't bother getting into combat, because it will never end. More guards will show up, and while you're fighting them more will show up. Just quit and reload, or die. It's quicker. Awesome design Ubisoft! You cancerous wankers.

What an odious little fart of a game.

EDIT: Also it's wonderful to see my tireless efforts doing all those liberation missions were for a good cause - I STILL get detected and attacked randomly, but now it's by Patriots instead of Redcoats! I swear it's a bug. Sometimes, whilst incognito, and nowhere near any red buildings or areas, I'm suddenly wanted by the whole of the United States militia.

Probity

The game gets a ton of hate, but AC as a series is pretty much the same way at this point. AC3 isn't as good as it was advertised by any means. E3 showed random camps with soldiers and interviews suggested random battles and such you could come across and talked about how great the real battles of the Revolution would be. For that, it is a disappointment.

However, people complain about the story and the characters and all that, which really isn't my beef with the game. It makes sense for Connor to be as emotionless as he is. People forget he is a tragic character, evidenced by what happens when he is a child as well as the result of all his efforts
referring to the bit where his tribe leaves and we realize that by helping the colonists he paved the way for his people's destruction.
He is supposed to be angry and blandish, it fits and is well written. The Templars are also extremely well-written. They aren't obviously evil or anything, going back to AC1. Their goals are actually admirable and they actually seem to want what is best, something lacking from most of the series. The story itself for Connor is pretty solid, it is just the modern day's mishandling that makes it seem poor. Everybody always complained about the Desmond bits in the other games but when they changed it to something else everyone got mad. Pretty hypocritical, but I liked his roles in both. The only issue I had was the ending, everything else was still solid.

As for the game, my problem was the glitches and poorly utilized mechanics. The game tried to incorporate a ton of really interesting ideas, but did almost all of them poorly and resulted in a few laughably terrible missions. All in all I thought the game was solid, but didn't live to its potential in the slightest.

Pyrrhus

Glad I wasn't the only one offended by the concept of that DLC.

The entire thing is essentially playing through the attempt by Juno to enslave both Connor and George Washington through contact with a Piece of Eden. The fact that it was all completely insane and out of character for both men was deliberate and noted in the story. What was offensive about the concept for you?

AlfaTrion

Besides the graphics and the boat part, I hated everything else about it.
  • the new controls
  • the number of times I got stuck on a pixel
  • worst character ever after playing the amazing EZio
  • The enemy was more fun to play!

I played this right after I finished Revelations and I hated it so much that I just plowed through to watch the Desmond parts with my GF. Usually in the AC games I like to do as much as I can in the game but for AC3 I was just so angry/disappointed the whole time, I wanted it to be over.

I'm happy some people enjoy it though!

It's my favorite ac game. I love the wilderness and the main character. It was glitchy in some parts but I still enjoyed it. Maybe I will like unity since everyone hates that as well.

Pez

Assassin's Creed III: The entry with the most squandered potential.

Killed my interest in the series.

I didn't hate AC III but did dislike and find weird that the buildings in this game were so far apart and the streets so wide that jumping from rooftop to rooftop wasn't possible. I understand that this was "authentic" and true to the towns and cities from that time and place but it just didn't feel right constantly having to run through the streets like some non assassin.

Easily one of the weakest in the series (especially being an avid fan of the franchise).

It's main problems had to do with inconsistent design (such as the lacking Desmond section, the poor implementation of crafting), way too much hand holding where there wasn't enough room for player agency (press "X" to kill, the cutscene killing Charles Lee, the mission constraints) and rather poor mission design and mechanics (somehow they made it easier to accidentally run into objects unintentionally, the eavesdrop missions, poor implementation of the expanded stealth mechanics). Not to mention the ending was very lacking in thought and giving a sound end to desmond's story, instead rushing to a circumstance very poorly hinted at.

I did not like the story at first but, after playing it again I found better appreciation what they were trying to accomplish with it, it's very unique compared to the rest of the series.

The best part of the game was obviously the naval battles, but they were still rather clunky and much more refined in Black Flag, which I enjoyed tremendously more.

Ralemont

not me
AC3 let me down with its gameplay. The story portion is actually pretty interesting for an AC game, especially anything to do with Haytham. AC has had a problem with the Templars being boring mustache-twirlers since its inception, but the Haytham prologue turned that on its head. The sections involving Connor talking to key historical figures was...less interesting, in my opinion. It diluted the focus of the game which only sharpened again once Haytham reentered. And Haytham has such a great ending line to Connor.

Additionally, I thought the characters on the homestead were a cute way to feel like you were developing a community.

But gameplay-wise, I found the missions and combat underwhelming. I thought the cities were largely forgettable in design (possibly unavoidable considering the European setting from which we came). The game rarely made me feel like a true assassin. If anything, it succeeded in being a fun Master and Commander simulator. And though I liked the Homestead characters, their missions had frustrating and boring design.

heringer

Playing the game right now. Didn't enjoy Haytan's part, but I'm kind of enjoying Connor (still on the learning how to hunt part though). The atmosphere is cool and different from what you expect from AC.

That said, the game feels kind of janky. More so than other games, even Unity. It's full of little glitches and visual inconsistencies.

When is the plot twist coming?

heringer

If you're Connor, you've already seen it.

Really? Which was it?

Haytham is Connor's father? I thought that was kind of obvious? Besides the facial siimlarities, the game telegraphed that the moment he started chasing the indian girl. Not to mention the obvious fact that both were Desmond's ancestors so...

Was it Lee's return as someone who climbed the Templar's ranks and will probably be the main villain? It doesn't strike me as a plot twist.

Meh, kind of disappointed with the "twist" then.

danmaku

I'm with you on this one. The game had ambition and goals beyond 'fun stabbing simulator'. Ubi hired native actors and an anthropologist to nail the native sections and characters of the era. One of the main sources for the environmental artists was 'Black Robe', a fantastic historical pic that only got made because of money from the Que gov. And gamers hated it.

And like you said, the open section was a nice prelude as opposed to BFIV, which was 'here start stabbing you dumbfuck gamer.'

I really think the receptions of Far Cry 2 and AssCreed 3 have convinced Ubisoft that trying to make interesting and ambitious games with gameplay that feeds into the narrative hurts profits. So we get games like Watch Dogs, Black Flag, Farcry 2&3, etc. It's a shame.

I agree. I think Ubi tried really hard to make AC3 a kolossal, something it was meant to surpass all the previous games, but failed.

- The story is much more interesting than the Ezio trilogy. Ezio is fine, but it's also a kind of boring superhero that always wins and always knows the right thing to do or say. I liked the little side missions in Brotherhood about his lost love because they finally showed something he fucked up! Connor is a much simpler character, but also more human. He follows orders because he's young and thinks there are people older and wiser than him (too bad they're not and they'll just use him like a tool). He's kind of an humbler version of Altair. The father/son theme is played quite well (but never resolved) and echoed in the relationship between Desmond and his father.
- Therey tried to make Templars less like James Bond villains and more like people with their own goals, that could reasonably be supported. The starting chapters were really well done in this regard. I was truly convinced Haytham was an assassin, but no. He's a templar but he does the same fucking things. And like in AC1, most of your targets will try to explain their reasonings and make you doubt about your motivations.

- The ending is sombre and sad. It's not a triumph at all, and not really what I expected from an AAA blockbuster game. Connor accomplished a mission that he doesn't understand (hiding the key for Desomnd) and failed what he considered his main objective (protect his people). The people he trusted betrayed him, and the new American state is no more friendly than the English empire.

- The gameplay is a Frankenstein monster of systems that were put toghether but never really integrated. A crafting system? interesting, but what's the point if money means nothing? They wanted to make the game harder (more guards around, it's harder to shake them off) but the game mechanics aren't solid enough to allow this.

- The side missions are a mixed bag. Assassinations are terrible, you don't even know why you're killing people. I really liked the homestead missions, they were super simple but I liked to see my community grow and I liked how Connor was much more at ease with simple people than he was with generals and nation leaders. It fits his character and makes him look a lot less robotic. The explorer's club missions where really fun, I loved how they made you solve little mysteries, but there were too few of them. Wasn't a big fan of naval combat, it felt out of place (Connor doesn't strike me as a mariner) and I would've preferred if they focused more on hunting and exploration. The undeground tunnels suck.

- The cities are quite bad, but there's not much they could do about it. I like how big Boston seems to young Connor after all the time you spend in the forest, but aside from that... there's not much to see. Even if the encyclopedia is interesting and fun as usual, it can't make miracles. XVIII century New York and Boston can't compare to Rome or Florence.

In the end, it's a game full of problems and I'm not suprised many fans hated it. I liked it much more than Revelations and I think it's as good as the other episodes, but for different reasons. It made me care for the characters while Ezio games made me care for the scenery.

heringer

Haytham is a Templar.

Eh.

That was obvious to me too... in fact, I always kept asking why a templar would use an assassin's hidden blade, heh. The first scene of the game, they talk about the "order" which I always assumed it was the templar order.

When he took that guy's ring... at that point the game completely telegraphed, I think.

edit:
Now that I think about it, there were reasons to think Haytham was an assassin. But I don't know, maybe because I knew Connor was the main character and because I always associated the word "order" with templars, I always assumed he was a templar. Since I also know you play as a templar in Rogue, the idea is not so foreign to me as it might have been to most people when AC3 was released. Also, the way he and everybody else talked and behaved really stroke me as a "templar way", even though they were plotting a bunch of assassinations

Eh.

That was obvious to me too... in fact, I always kept asking why a templar would use an assassin's hidden blade, heh. The first scene of the game, they talk about the "order" which I always assumed it was the templar order.

When he took that guy's ring... at that point the game completely telegraphed, I think.

edit:
Now that I think about it, there were reasons to think Haytham was an assassin. But I don't know, maybe because I knew Connor was the main character and because I always associated the word "order" with templars, I always assumed he was a templar. Since I also know you play as a templar in Rogue, the idea is not so foreign to me as it might have been to most people when AC3 was released. Also, the way he and everybody else talked and behaved really stroke me as a "templar way", even though they were plotting a bunch of assassinations
Come on, dude. Even the in game characters reacted surprised and you had to act as if it wasn't even worth considering as a twist to impress a forum? Meh. Not everyone was fooled, but they didn't pretend it wasn't a twist.

I really really really want this game on current gen. That, or a sequel that actually does what everyone thought Unity was going to do and give us chapters where we play in each past assassin's world. I just want current gen frontier gameplay as Connor please!

heringer

Come on, dude. Even the in game characters reacted surprised and you had to act as if it wasn't even worth considering as a twist to impress a forum? Meh. Not everyone was fooled, but they didn't pretend it wasn't a twist.

I really really really want this game on current gen. That, or a sequel that actually does what everyone thought Unity was going to do and give us chapters where we play in each past assassin's world. I just want current gen frontier gameplay as Connor please!

I'm really not interested in impressing anyone, no reason to get defensive. I genuinely always thought
he was a templar
. What am I supposed to say? That I was shocked? Well, I'm sorry, I wasn't, and I didn't thought it was a twist because I thought since the beginning it was a well known fact. Like I said, maybe because
I associated the word "order" with the templars from the very beginning.

I'm not even the kind of gamer that picks up this kind of stuff because it's really plain. I'm not that smart. It is what it is though. Saying I'm "pretending" anything is a bit uncalled for and rather uncharitous of you.

And how the characters in the game reacted surprised?
When this is revealed, everybody in the room was a templar. So exactly which character was surprised?

Struct09

I hated the first 5 hours, it just took too long to really get going. I enjoyed myself for some of the main missions and the boat mechanics. I was really glad when it was over. I feel that Black Flag and Unity are both much better games.

Clydefrog

It definitely has flaws and isn’t anywhere near a completed game but I liked it. I put like 30 hours into it on Steam. Pretty good bang for my buck ($5). I tend to see it as a hunting simulator though, lol. Just wandering the forest finding new ways to surprise and hunt animals/people. The Homestead Missions were a lot of fun too. Exploration has always been my favorite part of the Ass Creed series. I can’t wait to play the next one (Ass Creed IV) when it dips down to $5 on Steam.

Dot-N-Run

My issue with this game was with how the story flowed together. It just jumped from event to event, and didn't seem to provide much context to someone to had no real prior knowledge of the American Revolution. Sure there are always tons of datalogs to read but with all the jumping the Revolution plotline did little to grab my attention or make me want to learn more about it.

What I did like was the inclusion of the rope dart, that was a really versatile and fun weapon to use, although I did have issues with the alarm sounding sometimes if I pulled a guard with it, even if he was completely alone. Seriously I could shoot a guard right outside a camp with the extremely loud pistol and nobody would take notice yet if I pulled a guard to his death in the bushes every single enemy would start shooting in my direction. Also, I'm not sure if it was just me, but the knives and the hatchet seem to share the same animations, which made for some really awkward executions/animal skinnings.

Overall I would say that it could have been better.

heringer

I'm nearing the end of sequence 6, and I'm liking it a lot.

I'll say that I didn't like the Haytham part at all. Didn't like a single mission, the dialogues were whatever and I didn't feel invested in anything I was doing. It was a bore. He looks like a douche in those clothes too.

I loved playing as Connor from the very beginning though, and while as a character he might not be as interesting as Haytham (which, honestly, wasn't all that interesting to begin with), at least I feel invested in his plight and a much bigger connection with him.

I really like the Frontier too. Such a welcome change. The parkouing feels really good. Also, rope dart is awesome. Tomahawk is AWESOME.

Few things I do not like though:

- Jank, like I said before. Feels unpolished.
- Fuck the notoriety system. I hate that so much. You can't take two steps in a city without dozens of red coats harrassing you. Running is really hard because they are really fast and they are EVERYWHERE. Best solution is to murder everyone in front of a crier and bribe him right after. That sucks. Black Flag and Unity did the right by changing this.
- Desmond. Black Flag did the right thing and Unity was even better.

Top Bottom