• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Assassins Creed Odyssey (It is actually pretty good)

Dunki

I stopped playing ass creed games for a while now. I tried Orgins for a few hours but it never did hook me. Odessey actually seems to archive what many games in this Seies (except Blackflag) could never do. I am actually interested in the Story and World. Ok given I am only level 12 and 10 hours into the game but Alexios is actually prety intersting so far. Part of it is also because of the choices you have in the dialogue options. And while many of them do not seem to do much. I just got to a point in which an early decision I made btes me totally in the ass.

Not killing the sick family resulted in my whole Island i grew up on being destroyed by a fever virus. I just went there but I do not know if I can do something there later one. So far I can not.

After seeing that I wonder what elese will later bie me in the ass. So this is already fun.

As for the gameplay: It is RPG standard with tons of loot (maybe a bit too much) and abiliies you can use and skill. You can move fast through the world, you can climb on basically everything and the killing is also going ast if you are in the same level range (scaling is default). So yeah I have a lot of fun for my 20€ i did spend on the game so far. and I wonder how it will go on with all the conquering and ship combat (worst part so far)

thief183

I loved the game, apart from the scaling default :( ... I was already at half game after I realized I could turn it off.... in a new game....

jackwl89

Neo Member
Absolutely loved Odyssey and I skipped every AC game after Black Flag. Maybe it's because I'm a hardcore fan of Greek Mythology. Also, getting matching gear sets that boost a single build is extremely fun. Like, sneaking somewhere and dropping a target using the ghost arrow

Lanrutcon

Scaling options in the in-game menu. Doesn't require restarting your character, just need to close and reopen the game.

Edit: game isn't hard, only reason to turn off scaling is when you're struggling on a specific fight or the mercs are hammering you constantly.

Last edited:

Dunki

Scaling options in the in-game menu. Doesn't require restarting your character, just need to close and reopen the game.

Edit: game isn't hard, only reason to turn off scaling is when you're struggling on a specific fight or the mercs are hammering you constantly.
This is not the reason why i do not like scaling. Scaling kills the feel of progression. I want to see level 40 enemies with level 5 to know where I need to go later, and the feeling of getting stronger. When everyone is on the same level it is boring IMO.

Also Loot does also scale or?

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

This is not the reason why i do not like scaling. Scaling kills the feel of progression. I want to see level 40 enemies with level 5 to know where I need to go later, and the feeling of getting stronger. When everyone is on the same level it is boring IMO.

Also Loot does also scale or?

Drops scale based on what dropped it, and you can "level" your loot by paying resources. So if you find a piece you really dig you can keep it around as you level.

In terms of feeling stronger: by the time you get your trees filled and your legendaries collected you'll be a god. You scale so much better than the enemies (and DLC wides the gap further). When I was level 6X I was killing mercenaries 20 levels above me in a few moves (critical assassinate, overpower, hero strike, dead). You get ridiculous, which is fun!

Last edited:
I stopped playing ass creed games for a while now. I tried Orgins for a few hours but it never did hook me. Odessey actually seems to archive what many games in this Seies (except Blackflag) could never do. I am actually interested in the Story and World. Ok given I am only level 12 and 10 hours into the game but Alexios is actually prety intersting so far. Part of it is also because of the choices you have in the dialogue options. And while many of them do not seem to do much. I just got to a point in which an early decision I made btes me totally in the ass.

Not killing the sick family resulted in my whole Island i grew up on being destroyed by a fever virus. I just went there but I do not know if I can do something there later one. So far I can not.

After seeing that I wonder what elese will later bie me in the ass. So this is already fun.

As for the gameplay: It is RPG standard with tons of loot (maybe a bit too much) and abiliies you can use and skill. You can move fast through the world, you can climb on basically everything and the killing is also going ast if you are in the same level range (scaling is default). So yeah I have a lot of fun for my 20€ i did spend on the game so far. and I wonder how it will go on with all the conquering and ship combat (worst part so far)

Yup was great fun, I finally finished it the other day, clocked in at 130hrs. Alexios together with some of his lines had me laughing out loud quite a few times.

Reactions: Isa

Dunki

Ok where can you disable level scaling? the only option I see is default and various grade with very light being 4 levels under your level. But can you turn it off completely?

I always said Odyssey it's just next level, the ONLY creed I can't put it down. Games so goddamn engaging, plus the world Ubi created is ridiculously gorgeous.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
So turning off the enemy scaling is indeed the best way to play?

Not for me, I thought it was awesome that the enemies scaled so even quests early quests would offer some challenge, especially since even though I played on 'Hard' difficulty and set at even level scaling, towards he end of the game I was way over-powered.

To OP, YES! Odyssey is awesome .

Dunki

Ok I have found something that is annoying as fuck.

Bounty Hunters. I do not mind the concept of Bounty Hunters but if they always know where you are and appear out of nowhere while you are doing your missions that it kills my enjoyment. Man these are annoying...

Dunki

Well, thanks. I assume writing and quests are also not much better, so I don't really feel tempted to buy this anyway:)
I think the dialogue choices do a lot to this game. And it already gives you consequnces as well. You can fail quests depending on your choices etc. But also wow there is a lot of swearing in this game. I personally do not mind but I neve have heard so much fucks in an Ass Creed game :p

Stuart360

Love both Odyssey and Origins. 2 of my fave games this gen, just super high production value open world RPG's.
Cant wait for the Viking one.

Ok I have found something that is annoying as fuck.

Bounty Hunters. I do not mind the concept of Bounty Hunters but if they always know where you are and appear out of nowhere while you are doing your missions that it kills my enjoyment. Man these are annoying...

Yeah, they really cramp your style if you're trying to stealth through a camp or a fort but I think that's the point. There are ways to clear your notoriety and the game makes you focus on that first.

Dunki

Yeah, they really cramp your style if you're trying to stealth through a camp or a fort but I think that's the point. There are ways to clear your notoriety and the game makes you focus on that first.
I think they never told me how to get rid of it. Where can I even pay the bounty? And this shit is so random. I was fighting a level 13 Boar (legendary animal) then he got 5 boar friends and THEN out of nowhere the bounty hunter appeard even though he was in the town a few minutes ago. they teleport to places and it is annoying as fuck....

I think they never told me how to get rid of it. Where can I even pay the bounty? And this shit is so random. I was fighting a level 13 Boar (legendary animal) then he got 5 boar friends and THEN out of nowhere the bounty hunter appeard even though he was in the town a few minutes ago. they teleport to places and it is annoying as fuck....

You can pay it off on the map screen, it's on the bottom right next to the bounty meter. Think its Y on the Xbox.

You can also get rid of it by killing the person paying the bounty, marked as a red sack on the map itself. It will also go down itself over time if you stay out of trouble and just kill the mercenaries hunting you (their deaths dont add to the meter).

And that boar is a pain in the arse boss fight. I've left it alone too.

Dunki

You can pay it off on the map screen, it's on the bottom right next to the bounty meter. Think its Y on the Xbox.

You can also get rid of it by killing the person paying the bounty, marked as a red sack on the map itself. It will also go down itself over time if you stay out of trouble and just kill the mercenaries hunting you (their deaths dont add to the meter).

And that boar is a pain in the arse boss fight. I've left it alone too.
It took me like 2 hours but one good thing. The bounty hunter showed up. A level 11 one and the boar also killed the bounty hunter :p

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa
Great game! I've always been against level scaling but after 100+ hours in the this game imo it works really well. I didn't like it so much at the start because as some already mention you don't feel progression. But for me it put far greater empathise on weapons, gear and skills. So even though the enemies were always a challenge once I started getting decent stuff and having a build that suited me I still felt like a god. But I didn't need to feel like that from me being lvl50 killing a lvl10 bad guy, I felt it from crushing a lvl50 bad guy with ease using skills/powers/weapons I'd acquired.
I've probably explained that poorly but my advice would be to stick with the scaling and it will pay off in the long run.

dorkimoe

I loved the game, apart from the scaling default :( ... I was already at half game after I realized I could turn it off.... in a new game....
Same. I googled pretty quick how to turn it off. I loved origins because I could level up and then go through missions a little easier. I find the combat/game difficult at times so I prefer to be a few levels higher. I have it completely off and still am barely out leveled any quests :(

dorkimoe

Also...i just realized you upgrade the legendary weapons/items you loot. So instead of ever getting to use a new weapon, I just keep upgrading the ones I found? That seems weird? Id like to find better stuff, but you seem stuck with the yellows you get early on.

Also...i just realized you upgrade the legendary weapons/items you loot. So instead of ever getting to use a new weapon, I just keep upgrading the ones I found? That seems weird? Id like to find better stuff, but you seem stuck with the yellows you get early on.

There'll be some points where you wont have the resources to upgrade. When that happens I just switch over to a higher levelled item. You can't get rid of the gold items, they're with you no matter what.

Dunki

Ok sometimes I think the game is broken. I just met the cult for the first time and afterwards there was a scene which seems to have missed the speech. You even had choices you could make sometimes they move their lips but you have heard nothing. And it seemed pretty important^^

Top Bottom