• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bioshock

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
584.jpg

This game is BIG, I mean it's been a decade since it's release and I am just now getting to it, you can do what you want to do, the plot is very simple (Escape Rapture) there's a lot of discussion surrounding this game essentially gamers telling other gamers to play it, my one chance was through Playstation's "Playstation Plus" program. I like it, and I'll find out through Bioshock 2 if I really like it.
giphy.gif

If I had to pick one 2K game to play it's Bioshock, 94 metascore, clearly loved by fans, at just 12 hours long there's no reason not to play this game, every positive thing said about this game is true, the story, lore etc. is so deep with the hero tone, I love Bioshock and was seduced by it's world building.

Can I post another gif?

Ooooo Look at this
3ghzal.gif

Do you think Bioshock is good or temporary in the minds of gamers? How attractive is Bioshock to you after it's original 2007 release?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i played this a few years ago but never beat it. now i am playing it all the way through on PS4 Pro and it is amazing.

FabulousHardElectriceel-size_restricted.gif

the graphics really stand up, perhaps even more than Infinite, due to the art direction. the art deco 20s style level design matches perfectly with the murderous hotel party guests straight from The Shining. i love exploring these environments and having horror shoot outs.

good use of steampunk as well. this game has a really strong style right out the gate.

Last edited:

Doczu

Hey OP! Have fun with the game. Bioshock 2 is more of the same, with some streamlined mechanics - you can wield plasmids and guns at the same time, the hacking minigame is simplified (this sucked, liked the pipes game). But it's still good.

I too downloaded the PSN freebie, played it for the first time since launch. The game still looks nice. The atmosphere is great, art direction is top notch. It shows it's age, but not in a bad way.

Oh and have you played System Shock 2? Try it if you haven't, it's great.

Eimran

You'll love them. BioShock 2 is the best one in terms of gameplay. Infinite is kind of a great game too but it's less of a BioShock game. Nevertheless it should be played as well.

Funnily enough i never played it, i mean i played the first like 10 minutes but i think i was distracted by other games in my stream library and never went back to it.. always kind of accepted that it was a great

Zimmy68

Just want to say., for no reason whatsoever...
I have played through this game in its entirety about 10 times (Xbox 360, PS3, PC, PC Remastered, PS4, Xbox One, etc) and I have never harvested a Little Sister.
I remember watching it on YouTube and was horrified.
One of my favorite games.

Fbh

Bioshock is great, still one of the most unique and fascinating world/settings I've played. The arrival to rapture is one of the standout moments of last gen.

For me, I remember when it came out and that intro of you ending up stranded in the sea...it looked so damn good i was wondering why did the intro just stay still like that in the water...and then i figured out I could move. My mind was blown by the graphics.

_Ex_

When Ken Levine first started talking about BioShock back in ~2006, I was pretty stoked for it. As someone who'd previously beaten (and loved) System Shock and System Shock 2, I was hoping BioShock was going to be System Shock 3 in spirit. Well when the game's footage and reviews came out, what I saw was not what I'd hoped for. It seemed the reports of 2K neutering and altering Ken's original vision were true. So I didn't even get around to playing BioShock until 2017.

When I did play this game, it confirmed to me what I'd always suspected. BioShock was a dumbed down System Shock, tailored for the masses. The complexity is rather shallow compared to its predecessors, the monsters are just silly, the plot seems written by someone who recently discovered basic philosophy and now thinks they are clever. Difficulty is non-existent thanks to the regeneration chambers. Ugh. I know that sounds elitist and haughty, but that was my honest take away. Plus there's something about the graphics that bother me, it's like every 3D object is comically larger than it should be. Kind of hard to explain, but the dimensional aesthetics are just off in a silly way.

I can hypothetically understand why a lot of people like this game. If I'd never played a System Shock title before, or if I were 15 years old when I played it, perhaps I'd have been more impressed.

Coconutt

Just went through Bioshock 2 and Minervas Den dlc, such a good game that still holds up, going to start making my way through Infinite now.

Doom85

I absolutely love this series. 1 had such a unique setting and I loved all the lore. I even love the final act though I know most don't (and the "good" ending is so satisfying to me). Infinite I love even more, again I know a lot of people weren't impressed, but I really liked Booker, loved Elizabeth, and again the setting and lore were super interesting, and god damn what an ending. 2 is the "weakest" to me, because I agree with Ken Levine that each game should have had a new setting, but the story is fairly good even if it's not as strong as 1 and Infinite, and it's actually got the best gameplay IMHO of the series.

I really enjoyed my time with the the first two. Dont understand the hate it gets. Does some things great, especially for the time. Cant believe we went a full gen without another bioshock title. The next ones gonna be glorious.

The opening when you first meet a big daddy is nerve wracking and creepy. The intimidation wears off though the more you encounter them, but that first time i remember being a little scared! Wish that horror lasted throughout

Last edited:

Pejo

The first game is the only one I really enjoyed if I'm being honest. Gameplay wasn't what I liked it about it so much, it was just a FPS with superpowers. The atmosphere, aesthetic, and horror vibe was what cemented it for me as an instant classic. They promised super interesting ways to use your powers in a sandbox-y kind of way like electrocuting a puddle that a bad guy was standing in etc, but you almost always just found a niche and stuck with it (I liked freezing and smashing enemies myself).

There are still moments I vividly remember to this day that left a mark on me, like when you first get the shotgun. I only wish more games could nail the atmosphere as well as this one did.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Bioshock was great back in 2007. Absolutely dripping with atmosphere and an interesting plot.

I never got around to playing Bioshock 2, but I'd like to someday. Bioshock Infinite was alright, but I felt like it got a bit too repetitive too quickly.

NAI1210

Classic game one of my favourites of all time, yet I have done maybe 2 complete playthroughs, it still remains fresh in my mind, even though I haven't played it in years, I could also say that for infinite, there is not many other games I could say that about though

HotPocket69

Banned
The original game is on my top ten of all time. I think I’ve played through it at least a dozen times (or more) since its release in ‘07.

Last edited:
Plus there's something about the graphics that bother me, it's like every 3D object is comically larger than it should be. Kind of hard to explain, but the dimensional aesthetics are just off in a silly way.

Honestly I found so many of the Unreal engine powered games from that generation had that issue. It was definitely offputting.

The Alien

Banned
Bioshock 1 is one of my all time faves.

Bioshock 2 didnt add much new but was a game of small refinements. I really liked it...and actually had some fun with the MP too.

Bioshock Infinite had horrible, repetitive gameplay. Did not like it at launch...or the other 2x I tried slogging through it.

(Let the flame war erupt!!)

Doczu

Plus there's something about the graphics that bother me, it's like every 3D object is comically larger than it should be. Kind of hard to explain, but the dimensional aesthetics are just off in a silly way.
That's something normal to Unreal Engine 2 like big dude bro character models in many UE3 games. Check Thief 3, Unreal 2. Those games also have absurdily big items and terminals scattered around the world. I think only Splinter Cell managed to get a "lean and slick" look.

Last edited:
Top Bottom