• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Bloodborne

El Sueño

Even today I listen to the bosses track of Father Gaiscoine, the Cleric Beast and others.
Bloodborne is so amazing in building its atmosphere.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Everybody talks about Bloodborne bla bla bla for me the "it's so hard" doesn't give it a good look and I can't get down with that, if it's so good it should just be good not having everyone say it's good.
It is not a hard game.

It is challenging! And overcomming it's challenges is a big part of it's appeal und success.

Bloodborne also provides an outstanding art design, engaging gameplay, well composed soundtrack and deep lore for example.

The game is not flawless by any means. But for me it was and still is a one in a lifetime game.

The game speaks for itself when you play it but of course people will tell you that its good. Because it is something special.

If the only thing you have got from reading this thread up until now is "bla bla bla it's so hard" than please go back and read again.

There is so much to this game than just its difficulty that it should not be judged only by this.

Last edited:
Stunning game, graphics, gameplay, story, audio and controls are all top class, love it 10/10.
Love It Vh1 GIF by America's Next Top Model

Antelope

Bloodborne got me back into gaming. I was seriously doubting my impulse PS4 purchase, so I grabbed BB when it released because it was an exclusive. In retrospect, I had no idea what I was buying. I haaaated the intro area, but I am stubborn and kept playing. When the game finally clicked for me--around the time I discovered there a bunch of hidden passageways in the first area--wow I was amazed. I haven't loved a game that much since....checks notes...Ocarina of Time. It captured that wonder of exploring a new place and the satisfaction of overcoming a challenge. The art direction and music are still unmatched. I listen to the OST regularly and still get chills from that First Hunter track.

NeptuneCL

a very good game...., in my first attempt I tried to visit every place (I´ve got The Old Hunters DLC), but I made the mistake by killing the final boss of the normal game...., I thought it was like Dark Souls 2 when you kill the final boss, you choose when you want to star the new game+, but not here, it immediatly transport to the new game +.

U HAVE BEEN WARNED!

:lollipop_weary:

Pyewacket

Neo Member
I picked up this game a year ago when I got a ps4 to play god of war and still haven’t played it. Perhaps I will give it a go

Last edited:
After finishing demons souls remake twice in my PlayStation 5 (Oled 4K) I download the free bloodborne...

well the game didn’t age well at all, was like playing PlayStation 2

After finishing demons souls remake twice in my PlayStation 5 (Oled 4K) I download the free bloodborne...

well the game didn’t age well at all, was like playing PlayStation 2
huh? It's probably the framerate difference affecting your eyes? BB is just as good as it ever was. Played it just recently and beat it again from the beginning and then some more. Won't deny it urgently needs a 60fps patch for PS5, though, but the game is gorgeous, it looks way better than Dark Souls 3 imho.

With Jedi Fallen Order having received PS5 optimization patch on PS4 version, what are the odds of seeing something similar for Bloodborne? say uncap the frame rate and let PS5 take it from there for 60fps!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
With Jedi Fallen Order having received PS5 optimization patch on PS4 version, what are the odds of seeing something similar for Bloodborne? say uncap the frame rate and let PS5 take it from there for 60fps!
The game relies heavily on iframes in the combat. Will this even work when they just uncap the framerate like that?

I should mention that I'm playing it entirely in offline mode. I cherish true single-player experiences, and hate even the idea of other players being involved in small ways.

Currently, I'm at the old area of town where someone is firing a machine-gun at me from a tower. Great location, can't wait to get back into it.

Normally I'd be in total agreement on this one (I think my first attempt at Bloodborne was in offline mode as it happens).

However, I think the developers built the game with the intention that you would be playing online. The input from other players really adds to the world and atmosphere for me. I don't play any PVP or summon any co-op help (I'd rather beat every boss single handed), but the little notes and spectres left by other players all really add to all the 'a hunter is never alone' beats the game references. You can't leave plain text notes (instead you have to use a template of ready made phrase combinations), so everything is kept in character and the atmosphere is never broken by trolls or trash-talk.

Also, if you leave a note which subsequently gets a 'like' from someone, your health bar gets refilled. Sometimes the timing can be really serendipitous.

Of course, if that doesn't appeal to you, then you won't lose much staying offline.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
So good. If I were younger and had more free time, I'd be addicted to this game. Right now, I'm lucky to get 1 hour of play every couple of days.

I've progressed a bit further, really enjoying the old part of town and the challenging of obtaining the ritual blood from that nightmarish ceremony, where so many monsters were packed in there to fight through. My battle with the guy on the tower (who had been shooting some kind of rail gun at me) was a bit anticlimactic... I had about half his health down, and then somehow made him fall off the edge of the tower in a quick scuffle. His health bar dropped down out of sight and then I couldn't see or find him anymore. Clearly he died, because he was gone on my next session, but I'm wondering what kind of item I might have obtained if he hadn't died where I couldn't possibly reach him. Anyhow, it doesn't bother me from a story vantage point, because that battle ending in someone falling to his death is quite believable.

LordOfChaos

Everybody talks about Bloodborne bla bla bla for me the "it's so hard" doesn't give it a good look and I can't get down with that, if it's so good it should just be good not having everyone say it's good.

People shouldn't talk about good games being good? Talking about games is kind of the point of the forum

As mentioned, it's not hard in the sense of stupid unfair challenges, it's challenging and makes you adapt, which is highly rewarding. At no point in the game did I think it was plainly unfair.

I once started it, and had a very very hard time until I got to this tower with with a gatling gun and a guy at the top who totally annihilated me.
That's where I stopped.

So yesterday I thought wtf what kinda noob am I, I'm gonna try it again.

Spent quite some time trying to kill that fat guy down the ladder in lower Yarnham, killed him 4 times which helped me get the Hunter gear.

It was very painful but at least I had a plan which I managed to execute: get that gear.

So today I reckon I will try to get that Cleric Beast again. I'm still very terrible at combat. If combat were a bit more like DMC I would breeze through...

LordOfChaos

I once started it, and had a very very hard time until I got to this tower with with a gatling gun and a guy at the top who totally annihilated me.
That's where I stopped.

Spent quite some time trying to kill that fat guy down the ladder in lower Yarnham, killed him 4 times which helped me get the Hunter gear.

It was very painful but at least I had a plan which I managed to execute: get that gear.

So today I reckon I will try to get that Cleric Beast again. I'm still very terrible at combat. If combat were a bit more like DMC I would breeze through...

An easier way to kill gatling gun guy if you want
If you keep hitting him with a gun as soon as you climb the ladder, there's a good chance he falls off, then load from the level checkpoint again and his stuff will be at the bottom and him dead

Alternatively, and better way,
You can befriend him if you visit darkbeast paarl, I think you have to die to it and not use a bold hunters mark, and then approach him from the other direction so he doesn't see you killing anything. Then you agree with him not to kill any beasts. "

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
An easier way to kill gatling gun guy if you want
If you keep hitting him with a gun as soon as you climb the ladder, there's a good chance he falls off, then load from the level checkpoint again and his stuff will be at the bottom and him dead

I sort of did this (as I said above, he fell off during our fight) but he fell on the right side, down somewhere where you can't walk, and it seems that I lost his items forever. Or is there some way to obtain them now?

Last edited:
I sort of did this (as I said above, he fell off during our fight) but he fell on the right side, down somewhere where you can't walk, and it seems that I lost his items forever. Or is there some way to obtain them now?

The game will spawn his items next to the gun at the top of the tower if he falls off the map.

Aesius

There's nothing like the magic of a first-time, blind run-through of Bloodborne. Especially everything leading up to Brygenworth (and a fairly long stretch afterward, given the changes).

I was a Souls veteran having beaten DS1-3 and all DLC when I first played it, and even then, I felt like a complete beginner trekking through Yharnam, getting lost, and praying to find a lantern somewhere, anywhere.

That's the biggest appeal of FromSoft games, IMO. The balancing act between desperately seeking safety while also feeling so strongly compelled to push forward into the dangerous unknown. And as you progress further and further into a level, carrying more and more currency and having more and more to lose, the desire for safety becomes almost overwhelming, but you know you can't backtrack to save, because then you have to re-do the path all over again.

No...the only path is forward. Deeper into the unknown. Not knowing if there's a trap, mini-boss, brand new enemy, or even an actual boss fight right around the corner.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The game will spawn his items next to the gun at the top of the tower if he falls off the map.

Strange... I never got them, I think. I recall looking for him, then eventually moving on, and on subsequent lives I returned there to see if he was around. Perhaps I'll double check--or maybe I did pick up his things and didn't realize.

mansoor1980

That's where I stopped.

So today I reckon I will try to get that Cleric Beast again. I'm still very terrible at combat. If combat were a bit more like DMC I would breeze thr
DJURA is one of the toughest enemies to beat in the game.

Killed Bloodstarved beast with an NPC summon. Amelia is still alive.
Currently in first chalice dungeon at level 35, having a hard time at the bosses.

Getting better at combat but still not really in control.

Gimme your combat tips. Sometimes I can dodge to behind the mob, causing him to miss his hit and maybe his second hit. But it's far from consistent.

Currently in first chalice dungeon at level 35, having a hard time at the bosses.

Gimme your combat tips. Sometimes I can dodge to behind the mob, causing him to miss his hit and maybe his second hit. But it's far from consistent.
Your dodge has a lot of invincibility frames. It's less about positioning and more about timing. Dodge through an enemy attack and get a couple hits off, then dodge again.

Don't bother with the first chalice dungeon until you have a +6 weapon. They're tuned to be more challenging than the early game.

Try to find your way to Hemwick, lots of upgrade mats there.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

Iam realy exited for your journey and what still lies in front of you.

Soon you will be granted eyes!

As for combat tips: Dodge left, hit, back up and repeat works well. Don't get greedy! Learn the patterns of your enemies. Try to get reposte down as good as you can.

Ok I will forego the chalice for now, I read somewhere that I should do them ASAP.

Elsewhere I read that I should be level 60 for it.. Confusing.

But I did read about the +6 weapon before, what's this about? Why 6?

Ok I will forego the chalice for now, I read somewhere that I should do them ASAP.

Elsewhere I read that I should be level 60 for it.. Confusing.

But I did read about the +6 weapon before, what's this about? Why 6?
Weapon upgrade materials come in three varieties. The first variety, blood stone shards, will take you up to +3. That's probably the only kind you've run into so far. The second variety, twin blood stone shards, will take you up to +6 - you'll be able to find those soon. The final variety, blood stone chunks, will take you to +9. There are also two blood rocks per playthrough that you can use to upgrade a weapon to +10.

Weapon upgrade is the real "gear check." If you find yourself having a lot of trouble, coming back once you've upgraded your weapon will work a lot better than coming back once you've gotten a few more levels.

stn

I started this game last year, also for the first time. Had to pause for a while to play other games, but I'm planning to get back into it soon. I really enjoyed what little I played.

mansoor1980

wats your main weapon?

Fuchalmania

Moved house recently and had to pack my books. Came across five different Bloodborne titles: 2 strategy and 3 art books. Didn't realise how much of an impact this game had on me. I only own one other video game book.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Do you have the Powder Keg Hunter Badge in your key items?

Nope, so I went back to the tower tonight (first day I've been able to really play for a serious session in a few days). And sure enough, it was there next to the gun. I thought I had already checked but I guess not. Now I can finally buy additional weapons from the shop.

I had a great session tonight, pushing through new areas (past the main gate in the cathedral, with those giants roaming around a lot of madman's knowledge), killing everything on one life, and making it back to hunter's dream alive with well over 20k blood echoes. Still an absolutely amazing game, with so many tense moments. Can't wait to go back.

GenericUser

Awesome and unique artstyle. The whole game really shows what videogames can achieve if there are talente and imaginative people working on the game. I really recommend it to anyone who likes 3rd person action adventures and is not afraid of hard games. Game REALLY needs a 60FPS/1440P patch on PS5 though.

Last edited:

Sometimes I practice baiting enemies and not attacking them, just dodging and gun-parrying to see how long I can go without getting hit. It's a good way to focus on getting timing down without worrying about getting attacks in.

Top Bottom