• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Castlevania - the 15 canonical games

Shanaynay

It's sad i'll never get to play a game based around the Demon War when Julius Belmont was still like 18-19. Canonically its where dracula met his demise, i'm sure it would've been awesome. :/

Not that it ever was a planned title, just one i wanted to see happen.

Hagihara designed the general scenario before he left. It was after taking up the mantle that Iga, in response to games being sold on the aftermarket in short order after being beaten once, decided to take inspiration elsewhere (i. e. Zelda and Metroid).

And SotN is overrated. It has too much design cruft in comparison to Aria and Dawn of Sorrow, which eclipse it. Here are a couple examples:

Castlevania-SymphonyOfTheNight-Dracula'sCastle-MarbleGallery.png

Castlevania-SymphonyOfTheNight-Dracula'sCastle-RoyalChapel.png

This, along with there being less warp rooms, results in more backtracking.

This is just wrong.

SoTN has the best castle design in the entire series! To be fair I need to give Ecclesia another try, but the layout of the SOTN castle, the multiple ways to explore and sequence break, the drop dead gorgeous areas, and the fact that it FELT like a real environment makes it the best of the best. And it worked upside down.

This is just wrong.

SoTN has the best castle design in the entire series! To be fair I need to give Ecclesia another try, but the layout of the SOTN castle, the multiple ways to explore and sequence break, the drop dead gorgeous areas, and the fact that it FELT like a real environment makes it the best of the best. And it worked upside down.

So you don't mind that there are super long hallways and shafts that do little but serve as excuses for extra mass in between?

So you don't mind that there are super long hallways and shafts that do little but serve as excuses for extra mass in between?

Nope. They add a great sense of scale to these areas. The castle is MASSIVE, it's unnatural, it that empty space is there for a reason.

D.Lo

Nope. They add a great sense of scale to these areas. The castle is MASSIVE, it's unnatural, it that empty space is there for a reason.
The reason is the designers had no ideas. There are flat hallways with literally the same background tiles and same enemies repeated 5+ times. That's just poor design, you can's just go Ctrl-F Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V and call that 'scale'.

The reason is the designers had no ideas. There are flat hallways with literally the same background tiles and same enemies repeated 5+ times. That's just poor design, you can's just go Ctrl-F Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V and call that 'scale'.

Thank you.

At least they realized well enough to shrink that shit down with Aria and add some warp rooms to quicken things. Didn't skip a beat.

giphy.gif

Symphony of the Night is not only the most creative Castlevania game, filled to the brim with detail, crazy ideas, insane monsters, and one of the most impressive open world designs in gaming history. If all you can see when you see those hallways is a blank copy and paste I feel bad for you, because you're essentially missing the forest for the trees.

Read Jeremy Parish's incredible write up on the game from earlier this year. (Edit: since some were confused, this is an overview article that links to a 4 part piece by Parish. As I couldn't find a page with all the links, this seemed like the best way)

A quote from the third part:

Symphony reveals its nonlinear structure in waves. For the observant or curious, it presents slightly out-of-the-way hooks to entice you from early on. Eventually, though, it forces all players to backtrack. Yet even then, it continues to drop hints as to the free-roaming layout of the castle by providing you with tools and info that go hand-in-hand. At no point does the game directly state your need to explore or put a flashing icon on your map to lead you to your destination, though; instead, it eschews hand-holding in favor of diegetic design cues. Once you double back and acquire the Double Jump Pendant that allows you to advance, you have to backtrack again (or warp) to the Clock Tower... only to reach a point where you need to unearth the ability to fly, which means even more exploration. Mysterious doors, enigmatic corridors winding in the wrong direction, a map that reveals vast, unexplored spaces...

the level design is constantly pushing the player to explore it. And yes, those open areas are part of that. The game has parts that are specifically set up to be traversal areas. they're the connective tissue between the areas where you gain new items, fight new bosses and the like.

D.Lo

You can't just say 'are you serious' then ignore the point. There are parts of Sotn that are literally Ctrl-F Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V, or whatever equivalent Ctrl-F Ctrl-V functions their workstations had.

the level design is constantly pushing the player to explore it. And yes, those open areas are part of that.
What is there to explore in a repeated 10 times flat corridor? Good design can create scale without just repeating the same thing literally 10+ times. You can make Mario 64 have a 'larger scale' by simply doubling the world size and therefore distance between objects, but it makes it a worse game - see Yooku Laylee for an example of exactly this. Heck SoTN's upside down castle is pure garbage from a design perspective, it clumsily adds 'scale/length' to the game with absolutely no concern for actual playability.

From a map design perspective SoTN is a Metroid game made by novices. Metroid and to some extent Metroid II had the exact same issues, repetitive repeated environments and enemies which made traversal tedious. Nintendo worked it out by Metroid 3, and it took Konami a few goes as well, despite already having Super Metroid to directly clone.

It also has shit system and action design too, but that's another issue altogether. My conclusion is that SOTN is a beautifully presented, detail packed, dull game with pretty poor overall game design.

And nobody should trust articles that openly state the game being covered "was the first major purchase I performed after securing my first part-time job" to be anywhere near objective.

You can't just say 'are you serious' then ignore the point. There are parts of Sotn that are literally Ctrl-F Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V, or whatever equivalent Ctrl-F Ctrl-V functions their workstations had.

What is there to explore in a repeated 10 times flat corridor? Good design can create scale without just repeating the same thing literally 10+ times. You can make Mario 64 have a 'larger scale' by simply doubling the world size and therefore distance between objects, but it makes it a worse game - see Yooku Laylee for an example of exactly this. Heck SoTN's upside down castle is pure garbage from a design perspective, it clumsily adds 'scale/length' to the game with absolutely no concern for actual playability.

From a map design perspective SoTN is a Metroid game made by novices. Metroid and to some extent Metroid II had the exact same issues, repetitive repeated environments and enemies which made traversal tedious. Nintendo worked it out by Metroid 3, and it took Konami a few goes as well, despite already having Super Metroid to directly clone.

It also has shit system and action design too, but that's another issue altogether. My conclusion is that SOTN is a beautifully presented, detail packed, dull game with pretty poor overall game design.

And nobody should trust articles that openly state the game being covered "was the first major purchase I performed after securing my first part-time job" to be anywhere near objective.

THANK YOU! It's okay to like the game, but I've found SotN dull and not very exciting in any way. I played it after CotM and thought that game was WAY superior. Again, it's okat to disagree with me, I just got excited someone finally agrees.

Bluehound

Neo Member
It's kind of shame that most IGAvanias (if not all?) suffer from that repetitive design. Too many rooms are also completely empty content-wise apart from few candles and some random secret passages in few places. Gorgeus backgrounds and fun gameplay but castle designs could have been much better.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate

Hi! The USgamer article linked above was written by someone else as a way to tie my existing SOTN columns together. The first game *I* bought after securing my first part-time job was a Super NES console with Super Mario World. I suppose that means I shouldn't be allowed to write about Super Mario World.

D.Lo

Hi! The USgamer article linked above was written by someone else as a way to tie my existing SOTN columns together. The first game *I* bought after securing my first part-time job was a Super NES console with Super Mario World. I suppose that means I shouldn't be allowed to write about Super Mario World.
No, but if that information is included in the article, it's a clear signifier that the article is not even attempting to be objective, but is a personal take.

I don't know what I like more between Super Castlevania or Rondo. SCV4 has the better music, graphics and whip physics but has a shitty final Dracula boss that for some weird reason he never transforms. Rondo has the branching paths, challenge and epic finale with the guardian boss gauntlet followed by a great Dracula fight.

NIce to see you here Jeremy. I know you mentioned wanting to do more write ups on SoTN? Is that still planned or is it on hold like the rest of Anatomy of Games?

No, but if that information is included in the article, it's a clear signifier that the article is not even attempting to be objective, but is a personal take.

Yes of course. We should only listen to objective options like yours.

And I linked that article because it linked to all of ToastyFrog's SoTN articles which again do a great job explaining how well the game works on just about all levels.

The game isn't perfect, but there is a reason that that it's considered one of the greatest games of all time. And it wasn't for its combat.

redcrayon

THANK YOU! It's okay to like the game, but I've found SotN dull and not very exciting in any way. I played it after CotM and thought that game was WAY superior. Again, it's okat to disagree with me, I just got excited someone finally agrees.
I have to admit that I also played SOTN after CotM, DoS, OOE etc, and generally found it inferior to them too.

The article was definitely an individual editorial that was part of a bigger feature. Only bishopcruz was at fault for incorrectly attributing it to Jeremy.

The article was definitely an individual editorial that was part of a bigger feature. Only bishopcruz was at fault for incorrectly attributing it to Jeremy.

The article was a series of links to Jeremy's article. As anyone who actually read the thing would know. The article was saying "here read this four part article talking about SoTN"

I don't know what I like more between Super Castlevania or Rondo. SCV4 has the better music, graphics and whip physics but has a shitty final Dracula boss that for some weird reason he never transforms. Rondo has the branching paths, challenge and epic finale with the guardian boss gauntlet followed by a great Dracula fight.

I've always felt it was the opposite. Rondo's final boss feels like a weak imitation of Castlevania 1's (which is still one of the most interesting and demanding Dracula fights in the series), whereas CV4's Dracula has some pretty interesting attack patterns (his fireballs are very cool) and his final stage is one of the most climactic finales in a Castlevania game, even if it's not terribly difficult. I definitely like Rondo more than CV4 but this is one area where CV4 comes out on top.

D.Lo

I've always felt it was the opposite. Rondo's final boss feels like a weak imitation of Castlevania 1's (which is still one of the most interesting and demanding Dracula fights in the series), whereas CV4's Dracula has some pretty interesting attack patterns (his fireballs are very cool) and his final stage is one of the most climactic finales in a Castlevania game, even if it's not terribly difficult. I definitely like Rondo more than CV4 but this is one area where CV4 comes out on top.
Agreed, I thought the Dracula fight, including what leads up to it and the ending afterward, was pitch perfect in CV4. It was so dramatic, and the window breaking letting light in while the organ played was as good as it got back then.

Rondo is solid but pretty standard stuff in all of the above. The remake of the CV1 demon is cool though.

The article was a series of links to Jeremy's article. As anyone who actually read the thing would know. The article was saying "here read this four part article talking about SoTN"
No, it was a casual bloggy article in and of itself, which linked to five articles, the first of which was written by the same author. The main article and the first linked article are clearly framed with 'emotional memories from my youth about this game'. Aka their implied purpose is to list good things about the game, not analyse it more objectively.

Now I disagree with a lot of what Mr Parish has written in his articles, I feel he has interpreted accidents as clever design, and various mundane functional decisions of the game too positively. A lot of what the game gets praise for is simply praise for the genre as a whole. I personally think the game is a great experience due to the incredible attention to detail, Castlevania history stuff, and just huge volume of nice looking content, but looking at it more objectively from a design perspective it is a quite weak copy of the Metroid template, with very poor combat and integrated system designs.

And I don't believe a word Igarashi says about either his role in the game, or crap like it being primarily Zelda inspired instead of Metroid, despite having a single-plane flat map (no underground equivalent) no dungeons, no villages (a single shop), no overworld focus on character interactions or specific text-led character fetch quests, and the map being an exact copy of Super Metroid's style (which Jeremy does point out in clear detail to be fair). Metroid and Zelda share DNA, but Metroid games are essentially one giant Zelda dungeon, not a Zelda overworld.

That said, it wasn't my point at all. Instead of addressing my point about parts of SOTN that are 100% literally Ctrl-F Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V and that being one piece of proof it isn't very well designed, you lazily referred to things that are not design, but content ('detail, crazy ideas, insane monsters') and then stated unequivocally it has 'one of the most impressive open world designs in gaming history' with no backup other than quoting a paragraph that just describes the basics of the genre (when you get a power up that allows you to explore more, you can backtrack and use it to open up new areas... um duh).

Make your own case as to why several sections of Ctrl-F Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V Ctrl-V make the game 'one of the most impressive open world designs in gaming history'.

there is a reason that that it's considered one of the greatest games of all time. And it wasn't for its combat.
And I believe that reason is not game design. But content. Lots and lots of nice looking and sounding things that fit within the game universe very well. A poorly designed game can still be a good one if other stuff makes up for it. I believe people often get gotten caught up in all the stuff they do like about a game and then re-interpret other parts of it as better than they are.

Wind Waker is one of my favourite games for very similar reasons, I love the world that has been created in it, the story, the lore, the characters, the graphics. But I can also acknowledge its structural flaws, you can basically see the exact spots where things were cut out due to it being rushed at the end.

Aizo

Banned
Good thread, and I mostly agree with your perspective! It's one of my favorite franchises and OOE is the best. As for portrait, you're not missing anything. It's just not good.
Interesting. I feel very different about this. I personally did not enjoy OoE very much and fucking loved Portrait of Ruin (got the over 100% map and enjoyed all the secret bosses!). Are you a bigger fan of the classic, linear ones over the Metroid style map, RPG ones?

I always found the level in Castle 4 to be better than Rondo. They just throw in so many different ideas in each level. One minute you're dealing with a rotating room, the next you jump platforms from a swinging chandelier. Rondo is fun too, but the levels just don't feel as creative. Not bad by any means, but 4 just feels more special.

RPGam3r

Man some of you guys are so abrasive when it comes to shitting on games that people traditionally hold up as classics.

Man some of you guys are so abrasive when it comes to shitting on games that people traditionally hold up as classics.
Being a classic does not defer a game from getting critisism, even more when there are better options on the genre on the same franchise.

Order is Ecclesia is the biggest pile of Castlevania shit I've played in a decade. Just recently went back to check it out and was greeted with nothing but endless, platformless tunnels and repeat environmental obstacles. I climbed over the same house on three separate screens, three fucking times with the same exact enemy placement in a single stage. I've never been more bored playing a Castlevania game in my life. X, Y, X, Y, X, Y, X, Y, X, Y...

There are only two reasons people lose there mind over Ecclesia and that's Shanoa and the twist. Overrated to the maximum. Symphony is still king.

It's not abrasive if there's nothing wrong with it. People are just taking a deeper look into games. When it's new, people are caught up in the hype. When the hype dies down, you look at it, and it doesn't really hold up.

SOTN isn't a bad game, it's just not as good as the hyperbole surrounding it.

Neith

Banned
Symphony is still a classic no matter how bad people don't want it to be anymore.

I'm surprised we don't get these kind of hate topics about truly dated software from the N64. Hell, I still class Ocarina a classic even though I'd never play it again. I'd actually take a stab at SotN if the PSP version worked decently in the X remaster. Last time I tried it the thing wasn't emulating right. I could always emulate the original as well.

SotN besides its horrific voices in the non-psp stuff still holds up pretty damn well IMO. A heck of a lot better than those "classics" that look and play like mush on the N64.

It might have some problems here and there, but it's still a solid game.

D.Lo

Symphony is still a classic no matter how bad people don't want it to be anymore.

I'm surprised we don't get these kind of hate topics about truly dated software from the N64. Hell, I still class Ocarina a classic even though I'd never play it again. I'd actually take a stab at SotN if the PSP version worked decently in the X remaster. Last time I tried it the thing wasn't emulating right. I could always emulate the original as well.

SotN besides its horrific voices in the non-psp stuff still holds up pretty damn well IMO. A heck of a lot better than those "classics" that look and play like mush on the N64.

You have offered literally no defence for the game.

Your argument is literally 'some other games we are not talking about have aged poorly, therefore this one is exempt from criticism'.

The fact that N64 and PS1 games of the time have aged more poorly due to pushing 3D tech boundaries, is essentially just an argument that 2D games have aged better, which is an obvious truth to all and non-specific to this game. And there are dozens of 'hate' posts and topics about such games on a regular basis, recently Goldeneye and Mario 64 have been called unplayable in front page threads.

So no, the comparisons being made to SotN are to Super Metroid and other Metroid-like games. And as my actual arguments have laid out, SM and some others have aged much better due to having much better core designs.

I still need to play more of the series, only having beaten the first Akumajo Dracula for Famicom. But it seems like X68000/Chronicles forever remains the underdog. More people mention 64 than that game. So what if it's a remake? It's got plenty of its own unique, specific touches, and mostly new levels and bosses.

Shh...

Quiet, don't you know SotN is shit?

I know this D.Lo says it. Because environment, exploration and advancement all working in pretty much perfect harmony mean a whole lot of nothing because of "empty space" and back tracking or some such. Never mind how the game pushes you in the right direction, has tons of alternate routes, has the most coherent and interesting of environments in the metroidvania styled games, or the best enemy designs in the entire series, none of that is important. It's really garbage.

I'm so happy I found this thread. Without it I would have never known that one of the greatest games of all time was secretly trash.

MechaX

Personally, while I do think that Aria and OoE surpassed SotN in every respect with the exception of music, I appreciate what the game set going forward and the strengths it has. While SotN undoubtedly does have some copy and paste corridors, it still has a strong sense of exploration and atmosphere, especially in the inverted castle. Judging SotN from the corridors it does have with nothing but wargs or Audrey plants is like judging OoE simply from those few straight-shot transition stages (and ignoring sublime stuff like the light house, castle, and training hall).

redcrayon

Saying that I prefer a handful of other Castlevania games to SOTN is hardly 'shitting on' it. There's literally several hundred games I think SOTN is better than, including a dozen Castlevania ones.

A game being held up as a classic doesn't mean later iterations can't improve on its weaknesses, or make it immune to criticism. There's plenty of 20+ year old games that are bloody awesome pieces of software but, because they were so good, they've spawned great successors too. Super Mario 64 is hailed as a classic too but the Galaxy games pretty much stole its thunder when people discuss 3D Mario now.

D.Lo

Has anyone here said that SotN is shit?

Most of us are saying that there are other games which improved the formula.
Exactly. I personally specifically described it as a great experience. I am simply arguing against it being described as 'design perfection' or 'one of the greatest open worlds ever made' when on a design level it is IMO very weak.

I would be extremely interested in a well laid out argument and discussion as to why the design is better than my conclusions, I enjoy seeing other perspectives.

Saikyo

About "ctrl c ctrl v" maybe they did that so the loading could not be big and make better use of the RAM? This defense of course cant work for the portable games...maybe the RAM part.

SOTN is still king with the number of content: enemies, potions, weapons, armors, capes, guardians, secrets...there is a DS igavania game that rivals sotn in that aspect? IMO thats why people love sotn, not the map.

There also the fact thats the only igavania on playstation so...

D.Lo

About "ctrl c ctrl v" maybe they did that so the loading could not be big and make better use of the RAM? This defense of course cant work for the portable games...maybe the RAM part.
Seems unlikely since there are larger non-repetitive parts without any extra loading. But yeah maybe could play into it to some extent. I think it's more likely they simply didn't understand what they were doing yet, as you can do ctrl c ctrl v in a more linear action game and have it work, because it's a gauntlet you have to survive, but this is broken with saving rooms and levelling. So it ties into the control/action, which gives a first impression of 'quality' due to fluidity, but is IMO a misinterpretation of satisfying combat and platforming mechanics and turned combat into mindless grinding hack and slash.

SOTN is still king with the number of content: enemies, potions, weapons, armors, capes, guardians, secrets...there is a DS igavania game that rivals sotn in that aspect? IMO thats why people love sotn, not the map.
Agreed. Ironically all the content actually hurts it being tightly designed, but it's a trade-off most seem to prefer, which is fair enough.

There also the fact thats the only igavania on playstation so...
lol

Demicore

Man I loved Harmony of Dissonance, my second favorite after SOTN. Thought the soundtrack fit well with the title, messy music with some structure to it...

I always found the level in Castle 4 to be better than Rondo. They just throw in so many different ideas in each level. One minute you're dealing with a rotating room, the next you jump platforms from a swinging chandelier. Rondo is fun too, but the levels just don't feel as creative. Not bad by any means, but 4 just feels more special.

I agree to some extent, except those were only like a couple of the levels, which on the whole were comparatively hurt by the lack of reduced enemy threat, which makes Simon's slow gait pointless.

I know this D.Lo says it. Because environment, exploration and advancement all working in pretty much perfect harmony mean a whole lot of nothing because of "empty space" and back tracking or some such. Never mind how the game pushes you in the right direction, has tons of alternate routes, has the most coherent and interesting of environments in the metroidvania styled games, or the best enemy designs in the entire series, none of that is important. It's really garbage.

I'm so happy I found this thread. Without it I would have never known that one of the greatest games of all time was secretly trash.

Tons of alternate routes? What is this, Super Metroid?

Each way still takes a long time to traverse, and there being less warp rooms than Aria onward doesn't help matters.

Haruka

I still need to play more of the series, only having beaten the first Akumajo Dracula for Famicom. But it seems like X68000/Chronicles forever remains the underdog. More people mention 64 than that game. So what if it's a remake? It's got plenty of its own unique, specific touches, and mostly new levels and bosses.

X68000 is secretly the best game.

I agree to some extent, except those were only like a couple of the levels, which on the whole were comparatively hurt by the lack of reduced enemy threat, which makes Simon's slow gait pointless.

That's just 2 examples. The entire game is filled with interesting sections in long levels. One level you're racing against a wheel, another level involves all kinds of rotating gears and stuff. Seriously, Castlevania 4 had the best clock tower stage of any Castlevania game. It did so many interesting things when it comes to platforming and using the whip to swing.

Rondo had interesting levels too, but they were nowhere near CV4.

That's just 2 examples. The entire game is filled with interesting sections in long levels. One level you're racing against a wheel, another level involves all kinds of rotating gears and stuff. Seriously, Castlevania 4 had the best clock tower stage of any Castlevania game. It did so many interesting things when it comes to platforming and using the whip to swing.

Rondo had interesting levels too, but they were nowhere near CV4.

The problem with CV4 was that the pacing SUCKED. Enemies offer no challenge for the most part because few were designed with an omnidirectional whipping Simon in mind, and thus the need/point of a slow-moving Simon (other games in the series necessitated a slow, steady, tactical approach) was moot. You can dispatch the enemies quicker, yet still, you can't move any faster, and with little challenge, where's the fun? Also, at 10 stages, the game becomes long in the tooth near the end. (CV3 and Rondo hit the sweet spot by containing as many if not more levels, but splitting them between multiple possible paths, which doubles as extra replayability factor.)

If I want easy mode CV, I'll play Maria-mode Rondo instead. At least that's actually fun.

Top Bottom