• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Control

Fbh

1366_2000.jpeg

Got this the other day on the Epic store sale. Had been wanting to play it for a while since I generally enjoy games by Remedy, but the abysmal performance on Ps4 and the expectation that it would run poorly on my GTX1050ti laptop (which it did) kept me away. But thanks to regional pricing and the $10 off coupon it was like $6 so it was worth a try.

Overall I liked it. Remedy games always have fun gunplay and this one was on exception. I also like shooters that offer a lot of mobility and this one definitely does so more than most (specially once you get the levitation ability), though just as with Quantum Break it's a shame the bosses were really bland (made the ending very anti-climactic) All the physics and brekeable objects were fun too, there' just something about floating around throwing shit like a Jedi and have lots of elements break apart as you do so that's really fun.

On the downside the whole "metroidvania" approach didn't do much for me. I never felt the urge to go back to earlier areas and explore with my new powers, and it didn't help that the couple of times I did there wasn't anything interesting to find: some more boring upgrade materials with passive improvements or even more "reports" and letters (they are fun at first but after 30 reports of some random weird event it gets old). If anything I liked the more linear stretches a lot more, there's one towards the end that was pretty awesome The whole labyrinth with Poets of the Fall in power metal mode. Given the concept behind the game it's a shame they didn't use linearity to do some more crazy things like that instead of this semi interconnected world.

The story was ok. It does a good job at being weird in a fun way and the characters are enjoyable but it was nothing special. I didn't really get all the praise for the story and lore that it got from some people. Also inb4 "the main character is ugly".... I mean sure I would have liked a hot redhead better but her looks didn't really bother me.

Finally...as expected it runs poorly on my hardware. Tweaking the settings and lowering the resolution I got it to run much better than any of the console versions but I'd love to replay it on some high end hardware with all the RTX stuff. I have to say though, without the RTX stuff I thought Quantum Break looked nicer and ran better too.

I've heard the DLC is pretty good, but I'll probably wait for the second one to be out too and then I'll pick them up on some future sale.

Last edited:

Fbh

I too think Quantum Break is a better looking game, which is weird because it's older

I remember reading someone from Remedy saying they made this with a lower budget than some of their previous games. So I guess that was a factor too. I guess it was the lack of that MS money.

Denton

I am playing it right now. 27 hours and still not done with it. Plus there is the DLC as well. I love it. Story seems interesting, although Quantum Break will probably be unmatched in that (QB is extremely underrated by public when it comes to narrative). But the atmosphere and gameplay are fucking bliss. And my 2080Ti finally gets proper workout. DLSS2 is brilliant as is RT.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I should go back and try to play this when I'm not completely baked. That... didn't turn out so well for me on the first attempt.

Denton

The facial capture and mo cap in general was waaay better in QB. That engine is insane.

QB was triple A funded by MS; Control is much smaller budget game funded partly by epic and partly by small publisher, so that's why. But Control still looks good enough in that department.

Finally...as expected it runs poorly on my hardware. Tweaking the settings and lowering the resolution I got it to run much better than any of the console versions but I'd love to replay it on some high end hardware with all the RTX stuff. I have to say though, without the RTX stuff I thought Quantum Break looked nicer and ran better too.
You gotta get in on that DLSS 2.0 train. You’ll see!

Life

Got bored of this way before the finish line. Shooting lifeless enemies in a lifeless and bland environment - felt like some virtual training simulator from MGS1 - but its the whole game and it's dull.

Fbh

You gotta get in on that DLSS 2.0 train. You’ll see!

Sadly as far as I know it only works on RTX cards.
But what I've seen from the tech was definitely impressive

Got bored of this way before the finish line. Shooting lifeless enemies in a lifeless and bland environment - felt like some virtual training simulator from MGS1 - but its the whole game and it's dull.

Yeah the environments are a bit lifeless which was a shame. I guess you can feel them stretching the budget with a lot of samey office style environments with the same desks and computers and furniture.

Last edited:

Vandole

I liked it a lot, but I usually don't play games like this. Combat did get dull, but the story had me hooked from the start. I loved how you were dropped in not knowing a damn thing, and were constantly running into one strange thing after another.

I can see why the setting would have turned people off, but I've also had a strange fascination with 60s government buildings, so the game really played into my wheelhouse.

I played the DLC couple of minutes and I had competely forgotten how horrible the minimap in Control was. Even after Remedy updated it.

I didn't remember the layout at all, so I had to stop playing because I just wasn't feeling it. Should play it before AWE.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think it was repetitive af and the story was half cooked and not explained enough.

Life

Sadly as far as I know it only works on RTX cards.
But what I've seen from the tech was definitely impressive

Yeah the environments are a bit lifeless which was a shame. I guess you can feel them stretching the budget with a lot of samey office style environments with the same desks and computers and furniture.

I can see new gamers (who haven't really played Max Payne and other shooters before it) - liking the game and praising it. But for veteran gamers? We've seen it and done it.

Life

Sure man. Keep telling yourself that.

I don't need to tell myself anything. It's what I felt playing the game and why I stopped. Shoot/cover and cover/shoot. If it worked for you and you got to the credits. Congratulations.

Last edited:

Fbh

thinking of getting this for a while now.

its currently on sale for 20€ , is it worth? (standart version)

Have you liked their previous games? I think it's fairly similar with a mix of fun gunplay and an enjoyable, unique but not quite great story.
With that said I remember the console version, Ps4 in particular, having some really bad performance issues. With drops to under 20fps during some combat encounters. I'm not sure if it ever got patched but unless you have an Xbox 1 X (which I think was the only one that performed decently) or a PC it might be worth it to wait for next gen consoles that can handle it better.

Roberts

Together with Sekiro it was my favorite AAA game from last year. Never felt repetitious for me and the whole Metroidvania element with opening shortcuts and so on was really fun. It's a game with its head deeply planted in its own ass, meaning, it is really full of itself, but in the best way possible - storytelling is definitely too niche and weird for most players. As far as I remember it, the game was pretty smooth on xbox one x.

I think it is time to buy that DLC.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just LTTP myself with this. It is great! Love the graphic design and the overall vibe. You think it’s going to be boring grey offices but then you are shooting an interdimensional demon and they explode into a multi color psychedelic smear of cosmic dust. Like dam sometimes when combat gets real intense the game looks like a trippy moving abstract painting. Art design is top notch.

The hype is warranted they made this real good.

Last edited:

Valt7786

I don't need to tell myself anything. It's what I felt playing the game and why I stopped. Shoot/cover and cover/shoot. If it worked for you and you got to the credits. Congratulations.

Yeah if you're using cover and just shooting you're playing it wrong. You're supposed to keep moving, using the abilities the game gives you (of which, eventually, there are several). The gun is your last resort when you're out of energy.

Life

Yeah if you're using cover and just shooting you're playing it wrong. You're supposed to keep moving, using the abilities the game gives you (of which, eventually, there are several). The gun is your last resort when you're out of energy.

Eventually, there are several. You're forced to cover in the first couple of hours or so.

Force throw: The Game

currently in a play through and I’ve leveled the throw ability to max and barely shoot anything at this point. It’s a neat game and I dig the rtx stuff. I’ll finish it and never play it again.

I couldn’t get through the first part of QB. Just didn’t click with me.

Gamerguy84

Thanks for the reminder guys. I think its on PSNOW this month. Im gonna go start this download.

Edit. Its been on for 3 months. Wolfenstein 2 as well.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

I liked the game, I wasn’t blown away but it was really good.
Bosses were sometimes a mess to fight.
Anyone has played the DLC?
Is it good?
Is it long enough to justify the price?

bender

What time is it?
I fucking love Max Payne and May Payne 2 so much. I was able to power through Alan Wake and it's almost worth it for Barry...almost. I got a few hours into Quantum Break before quitting and my time with Control was even shorter. Odd considering how much I enjoyed Psi-Ops. I hate this timeline and my enjoyment trajectory with Remedy games.

Valt7786

Eventually, there are several. You're forced to cover in the first couple of hours or so.

Again, no you're not. You're supposed to keep moving, it drastically lowers the enemy accuracy. Move, shoot, Launch, kill enemy, absorb health they drop.

Bryank75

Banned
I love the tone and the gameplay in this, I left a couple missions and the DLC, I'll do them on PS5 so I can enjoy the raytracing etc....
Very excited to play it again and experience the world.

Yes buy it if you like to levitate and throw shit around!
One of my favorite games of this gen.
I still haven't played the first dlc, but I'm really eager to get the second one called AWE.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So I downloaded this from PS Now and I checked and it only has 13 days left. It is leaving on 7/14/20 apparently!

crap I gotta beat this game before I lost it lol

Last edited:
I got it on the ps sale recently.

Navigating the map is quite confusing, I get lost all the time. Don't have a lot of upgrades yet but it seems fun enough to do combat.

I reckon I should go find some tips and tricks on the web.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I finished the game this weekend, late to the party as well. I really liked it a lot. I found that core Metroidvania look really satisfying and addictive, but I'm a sucker for those. I dug the character and the atmosphere, though some of the story was a little too opaque for me. But overall, probably my favorite Remedy game.

I too think Quantum Break is a better looking game, which is weird because it's older
Quantum Break is a much more expensive looking game, because it has a much, much higher budget than control, but Control certainly has better technology and art design. The Ray Tracing stuff is incredible and the design is fantastic. Quantum Break definitely had better performance capture and more diversity of locations, but it was really generic looking. I can't say it looks "better" than this, even if certain aspects do.

Top Bottom