• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Cosmic Marvel (and other comics too)

Altazor

LOL, I wasn't planning on reading Original Sin anyway 😅

And yeah... I'll probably read Annihilators too. It's a tremendous lineup, to be honest. And after that... I'll get back to the Hickman F4/FF run.

Cheers!

IHaveIce

Banned
You read 2 of the best runs marvel had in their 'recent' time.
The Fantastic Four by Hickman is fantastic

The Abmett and Lanning stuff is outstanding, do yourself a favor and pretend like that's it, there are no other Guardians stories, because everything since then is dogshit.
Bendis is one of the worst writers at Marvel( or at least he has become one) and destroyed everyones personality of the GotG. His explanation what happened to quill and Richard after the Thanos Imperative is even worse.

If you want to read something that has a longer arc again you should may consider Hickmann's Avengers/new avengers run through Infinity to Secret Wars

Briarios

You read 2 of the best runs marvel had in their 'recent' time.
The Fantastic Four by Hickman is fantastic

The Abmett and Lanning stuff is outstanding, do yourself a favor and pretend like that's it, there are no other Guardians stories, because everything since then is dogshit.
Bendis is one of the worst writers at Marvel( or at least he has become one) and destroyed everyones personality of the GotG. His explanation what happened to quill and Richard after the Thanos Imperative is even worse.

If you want to read something that has a longer arc again you should may consider Hickmann's Avengers/new avengers run through Infinity to Secret Wars

I have a theory that it wasn't the right Quill that came back - in his story, Rich talks about how much he loves Gamora, that she was his one true love ... Pretty much everyone knows that Namorita was the one for him. So, that was just flat out wrong. So, I think there is still a pocket universe out there somewhere ...

Annhiliation never did much for me. Not sure if it was because the art was largely subpar or the fact that none of the minis really connected with me. IIRC, DnA weren't even a part of the Annhilation at all were they? It was mainly Keith Giffen's show.

Conquest, though, was far better.

That Hickman FF run, though. Wow. One of the all time greats IMO. Has the single hypest moment in probably all of comics for me (OP Do Not Read This, You Aren't There Yet)
"To Me My Galactus!"

OP be sure to check out Hickman's Avengers run afterward if you haven't already. Later parts of the run (Infinity in particular) feel like a much better continuation to Cosmic Marvel than the stuff that Bendis was doing in GotG.

jph139

Annihilators is definitely fun - it feels sort of like a "bonus level" or "after-credits scene" to the whole DnA epic. No real overarching plot or anything, just some big cosmic dudes flying around knocking shit around.

And yeah, unfortunately, there hasn't really been much follow-up in that thematic space. Hickman and Ewing have both played around with Marvel Cosmic since then, but it's on a much grander scale - multiverses and abstracts and all that.

Bendis on Guardians is okay, but really kinda trash when you put it next to the sci-fi goodness we know, and the whole batch of post-movie spin-offs are all kind of meh. I actually do like the various SamNova comics, but it's mostly just a teen hero story with some light space flavor.

I'm hoping the Duggan run on Guardians gets us back on track, but really, there's enough great content in the DnA run that it seems greedy to ask for more.

Altazor

yup, that's the plan! Read Hickman's stuff from the F4 until Secret Wars. It's a looooong read, but apparently it's worth it so I'm not complaining :)

I have a theory that it wasn't the right Quill that came back - in his story, Rich talks about how much he loves Gamora, that she was his one true love ... Pretty much everyone knows that Namorita was the one for him. So, that was just flat out wrong. So, I think there is still a pocket universe out there somewhere ...

what the fuck, lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Remember how at the end of Thanos Imperative they bring death to the cancerverse and she wipes out *everything*.

Remember how BMB completely ignores that and all the revengers and shit are still alive and fighting them...

Briarios

Remember how at the end of Thanos Imperative they bring death to the cancerverse and she wipes out *everything*.

Remember how BMB completely ignores that and all the revengers and shit are still alive and fighting them...

Stop ... It hurts ;( it angers me so much how much that have crapped on those stories

Edit: also, again, that's part of why I'm saying it's a different Quill that came back. Too much stuff was different. Anyway, that thought is all that consoles me ...

jph139

4Y51FPo.gif

I buy that. Explains why the circumstances are different, why Quill's whole backstory changed, so on, so forth. We've got the Thanos, Star-Lord, and Nova from Universe-9572030753 while the 616 versions are still trapped in an endless war for survival in some other parallel dimension.

Altazor

Wait until until you read the Original Sin GotG issues -- rolls back all of Nova's character development, it's not just stupid, it's a travesty.

wasn't on my plans... apparently now, even less so! Hell, even Sinatar made me swear an oath not to read it, lol! Can someone summarize it for me so I can LOL and pretend it doesn't exist? xD

Sinatar

wasn't on my plans... apparently now, even less so! Hell, even Sinatar made me swear an oath not to read it, lol! Can someone summarize it for me so I can LOL and pretend it doesn't exist? xD

Nova uses the (what should be depleted) cosmic cube to turn himself into a door so that Thanos and Quill can escape.

Yup.

Check out the recent 7 issues Nova series instead of any Bendis books. It was sadly cancelled due to low sales and no Nova will be in Marvel's Generations mini-event now...

Kurdel

Banned
If you enjoy Marvel on a bigger scale you will definitely love Ultimates. Not too many issues to catch up, and full of cosmic mindfucks.

FB-ultimates_3.jpg

If you enjoy Marvel on a bigger scale you will definitely love Ultimates. Not too many issues to catch up, and full of cosmic mindfucks.

Echoing this sentiment. I haven't gotten to the second run of Ultimates, but the first one was great and skyrocketed up to being my favorite team book.

Sinatar

Echoing this sentiment. I haven't gotten to the second run of Ultimates, but the first one was great and skyrocketed up to being my favorite team book.

Second run is even better since it isn't interrupted midway through by that colossal goatfuck known as Civil War 2.

Altazor

Thanks! Will keep that in mind!

Do I need to read other stuff previously to make sense of the context or it's basically "pick up and read and it'll make sense down the line anyway"?

Sinatar

Thanks! Will keep that in mind!

Do I need to read other stuff previously to make sense of the context or it's basically "pick up and read and it'll make sense down the line anyway"?

It's standalone, you can jump right in.

Harpoon

So much Nova talk lately. Hurts every time. And then he came back. And now he's gone again. Can't deal.

You might want to pick up All-New GOTG #11 in October...

cwJwH7A.jpg

ALL-NEW GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #11
GERRY DUGGAN (W)
ROLAND BOSCHI (A)
Cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
HOW-TO-DRAW VARIANT COVER BY CHIP ZDARSKY
The Nova Corps…the peacekeepers of the galaxy, charged with maintaining order, serving and protecting the sentient peoples who make it their home. The Fraternity of Raptors…a shadow organization dedicated to imposing their own order on the galaxy. Rich Rider guest-stars as these two forces come into desperate conflict!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Altazor

I know this is not precisely about the DnA run, but I kept on reading the Hickman F4/FF comics and I'm now at Fantastic Four #604 and this awesome moment happened and it made me go "holy shit" out loud and I bet a lot of you know what I'm talking about but if you don't remember here's a handy reminder:

RISE!

TO ME... MY GALACTUS!

mah fucking god.

I know this is not precisely about the DnA run, but I kept on reading the Hickman F4/FF comics and I'm now at Fantastic Four #604 and this awesome moment happened and it made me go "holy shit" out loud and I bet a lot of you know what I'm talking about but if you don't remember here's a handy reminder:

RISE!

TO ME... MY GALACTUS!

mah fucking god.

Remember.

All hope lies in Doom.

Sinatar

RISE!

TO ME... MY GALACTUS!

mah fucking god.

Yea that was some great stuff. You'll have that reaction many many times as you continue reading Jonathan Hickman's stuff, he's amazing.

RISE!

TO ME... MY GALACTUS!

mah fucking god.

Yep this is the spoilerd part I referenced above. GOAT comics moment for me.

Q8D3vil

Ive been reading main marvel and cosmic for months now and im currently reading secret invasion lm going to read war of Kings later.

While i love it, its not even close to geoff johns green lantern run. Highly recommend that if you didn't already.

Btw, its time for MCU Nova, its already way past due.

Altazor

So far, it's been really great. It's a different dynamic than what was going on during all that space opera stuff, and you can notice it's a different style of writing... but it's great. Its's got a lot of heart.

From what I've read so far (up until #604), Hickman has the ability to write some pretty emotional stuff while mixing it with epic moments. It's not "cheesy" (I mean, beyond what's normal for comics), it's... really well done. Like, this whole "be a better man" speech in #572 ("...all of my hopes and desires rest in you becoming what I am not. When you grow up, I expect more. Son... I expect better. I want you to be a better friend than I was. Be a better husband. Be a better father. Reed... be a better man") is fucking great and what I posted earlier in #604 came just right after Nathaniel was spitting truth about parents and children and the passage of time. It's very effective, and Hickman knows to strike at the right time.

Hell, even on a less serious/emotional scale he has the talent to write some stuff perfectly suited for the moment (Namor's "God, you're magnificent" to Sue after she
smacks him down when he refuses to honor his deal with the old atlanteans and goes all "i'm the king don't turn away from me, woman!"
and she just fucking rolls her eyes so hard... I legit laughed out loud when that happened) so yeah...

And it's even a sort of sequel (if I'm taking the DnA run as a set, almost self-contained narrative) to the Cosmic Marvel stuff I read with
Black Bolt returning from the Fault, the Kree-Inhuman stuff falling apart and the Annihilation Wave coming back
... or at least, a spin-off focused on other things, lol.

So yeah, it's been really great so far. Despite some people not caring about the F4 recently, I gotta say Hickman makes them feel like a very likeable family - kids included. Hell, I never thought I'd say that ('cause kid characters are so annoying). It's got a lot of heart and soul, and that is precious.

So yeah, it's been really great so far. Despite some people not caring about the F4 recently, I gotta say Hickman makes them feel like a very likeable family - kids included. Hell, I never thought I'd say that ('cause kid characters are so annoying). It's got a lot of heart and soul, and that is precious.

Honestly, the whole "not caring about the F4" was pretty much Marvel's doing. When Hickman was on the book it was getting plenty of attention, especially with the death of Johnny Storm. And the F4 continue to play huge roles in Hickman's New Avengers and Secret Wars.

Seriously the whole combination of his FF run right into Avengers/SW is just this absolutely amazing, epic arc spanning 6 years or so.

I would give a recommendation to his S.H.I.E.L.D. mini series which has ties to both FF and Avengers but, last I checked, the final two issues were never published despite being written (and maybe even drawn?).

I'd really like to read some cosmic Marvel that focuses on the cosmic elements, the sci-fi possibilities of it all, rather than the space opera, Space Game of Thrones genre it seems to fall into pretty often. I've only dabbed a little, mostly with Hickman's long runs.

If you are still interested in Thanos you should read

You should read the Infinity event > Thanos A god up there listening > Deadpool vs Thanos > Infinity Revelation > Infinity Relativity > Infinity Entity > Infinity Finale.

The current ongoing by Lemire has been fantastic so far as well

Top Bottom