• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Darksiders

I picked this game up on STEAM when it was on sale for $10. I've been playing it the past two weeks or so and I just beat it.

All I can say is wow what a fantastic game. It really is a great action adventure game. Huge overworld, good puzzles, great combat system, entertaining boss battles, and decent length (STEAM said
17 hours
).

Its so refreshing to play a game like this in this day in age with so many big budget FPS.

I loved the heaven and hell theme and the art work was great. My only complaints were that the game was a bit too easy (especially the boss battles) and its just too violent for what it is. Its essentially a "T" game with God of War's violent finishing moves. I'm really stocked for the upcoming sequel. I just hope that it comes with a PC release.

So what did everybody else think of this game?

forrest

formerly nacire
<<<<<Loved it!

*To elaborate, it wasn't perfect, but I just loved it. Very few games anymore really pull me in and make me want to finish them asap. Darksiders did. I've completed it 3 full times since it released. I can't wait for the sequel.

As far as the artwork is concerned, I think it's some of the best realized 3d models from stylized comic book art that I've seen. The environments, why cool in their own right, pale a bit compared to the great characters.

Also voice work = win! It really was top notch and fit the characters and universe great!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Too easy? I'm going through the game for the first time on Apocalyptic and I'm getting my ass kicked. :(

And yeah, I'm really enjoying at as well. I put it aside because on Xbox, you have to push down the right analog stick to aim, and I absolutely hate doing it. So I'll pick it back up again when I can get a Razer Onza and rebind it to a shoulder button.

NIN90

I finished it yesterday too.
It was really good but loses so much steam after about 50% through the game.
The 3rd "dungeon" (the desert area) in particular reaaaaaally dragged.
Fourth dungeon was better but kind of linear.
Last dungeon overstayed it's welcome especially because it reused so many concepts multiple times.

The first 2 dungeons are (sadly) the best part about the game.

Lyphen said:
And yeah, I'm really enjoying at as well. I put it aside because on Xbox, you have to push down the right analog stick to aim, and I absolutely hate doing it. So I'll pick it back up again when I can get a Razer Onza and rebind it to a shoulder button.

You are weird. You have to do that like once every 30 minutes or so. Lock-on works fine most of the time.

Lyphen said:
Too easy? I'm going through the game for the first time on Apocalyptic and I'm getting my ass kicked. :(

I rarely don't play games on normal unless its meant to be (like a shoot-em-up or Devil May Cry). Its rarely done right and it tends to make the game inconsistent.

Mileena

Banned
Beat it for the first time a month ago or so. It's a really great game but like 2~ hours too long. Some of the dungeons just drag on. I was also kinda mad at how easy the final boss was.

corkscrewblow said:
Beat it for the first time a month ago or so. It's a really great game but like 2~ hours too long. Some of the dungeons just drag on. I was also kinda mad at how easy the final boss was.

*Wait until he's about to attack*
RB + Down
*Wait until he's done with his attack*
RB + Forward + X
Punish
*Loop the above until he's defeated*

This actually describes almost all of the enemies and bosses in the game.

sn00zer

Luhved it
SUch a laid back great game that has its mechanics down solid....no sense of sloppiness that is common with games now

I liked it but in my mind I compare it to Soul Reaver (dialog, progression, atmosphere and story/plot) instead of Zelda (even though I can see why people compare it to Zelda - items, horse and dungeons).

I didn't mind what people usually refer to as the tedious or boring parts (grinding, backtracking, etc) and the combat felt serviceable - though I'm one of the few guys that enjoys God of War's combat so my opinion is worthless.

I expected the sequel to be more of the same (no complain from me) with a few new items and more (MORE!) bosses. I know it won't be since they've now revealed the sequel will be a side-story of sorts.

I haven't finished the game yet. Got to what I think is the last boss and then got sidetracked by real life and haven't had the chance to go back to it.

I was kind of put off by the art at first but then by the end I didn't really pay any attention to it. There was a render of War (early render with an alternate costume I think) that I really liked and would have liked for the game to go into that artistic direction (more cyber than gothic, it seemed) but I'm fine with what we got. I'll try to find the render I'm talking about.

Could you guys tag the end game spoilers, just in case? Please?

[edit]
I think this is it. Looks a bit more like a Space Marine (WH:40K) than a Gothic armor, in my opinion.
Quy6D.jpg

An-Det

I loved the game and played the shit out of it. I was originally blown away by the size of the demo, so I knew I'd enjoy it. Easily one of my favourite new IP's of this generation.

Grisby

An amazing come from behind game. Great work from Vigil studios.

I thought I was tired of the Zelda formula but I just needed a new setting and Darksiders/Okami proved that for me. Plus, that ending was freaking awesome.

Flying_Phoenix said:
*Wait until he's about to attack*
RB + Down
*Wait until he's done with his attack*
RB + Forward + X
Punish
*Loop the above until he's defeated*

This actually describes almost all of the enemies and bosses in the game.

Teleporting spider :(

Fezan

Enjoyed it a lot as there are not many action adventure games on pc(popular ,big budget).
also dont know y people hated the art direction i actually liked it. really nice game nothing spectacular but fun

mclem

Played through this a little over a month ago. Quite liked it - and applauded them for making a competent Zelda clone - but didn't *love* it. It felt like it was trying too hard to appeal to teenage boys, when that didn't add to the ambience of the game for me at all; if anything it detracted from it.

A little more self-awareness for the sequel would go a long way.

SquirrelNuckle said:
Leveling up the sythe is a pain.

Leveling up anything was a pain. I'm convinced that whoever was responsible for balancing out the economy in the game took an extended holiday just before it went gold. Typically in a SP adventure like this you want the player who has done everything in the game to have long since maxed out the character's abilities.

With Darksiders, even with the extra souls gained from grinding out the weapon upgrades you finished the game several thousand souls short (if not tens of thousands of souls short) of being able to buy up all the abilities.

Mazer Rackham said:
one of my favorite games of this generation

Same. And getting to 100% with all the collectibles and hidden items was quite fun. I think the character art and voicework really did it for me.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
One of my top 5 from last year. Really enjoyed it!

Ifrit

I also got from the steam sale, I'm curently at the 3rd dungeon and I'm loving it, can't really say anything bad about the difficulty since I'm playing it in Apocaliptic, and having gotten my ass kicked many times, seing that my biggest complain about the zelda series is the combat difficulty, and having a difficulty option fixes it

Getting a little bit worried about people saying that in goes downward after the 3rd dungeon, but we'll see how it goes

desh

Game is amazing. Can't wait for the sequel. I had a lot more fun playing this than I did Uncharted 2.

KevinCow

Banned
Darksiders if easily one of my favorite games this gen. It's not perfect, but it takes some of my favorite aspects of some of my favorite games and kinda throws them all into a blender. If the sequel polishes up what they have and works on the pacing, it could be amazing.

I wouldn't say it's better than the games it's influenced by, but going back to those games afterwards, I always kinda feel like it's missing something. When I play Zelda, I feel like Link's movement is a bit stiff and his combat abilities are relatively scarce. And when I play God of War, I feel like I want to explore a more open instead of just exploring the nooks and crannies along a mostly linear path.

Also when I play any game with chests, I wonder why my character can't punch them instead of opening the lid.

neos

+1 for the lovers here.

Combat system wasn't that much, however gameplay was pretty various thanks to all the gadgets.

Truly loved the settling of the game.Waiting for 2!

Die Squirrel Die said:
Leveling up anything was a pain. I'm convinced that whoever was responsible for balancing out the economy in the game took an extended holiday just before it went gold. Typically in a SP adventure like this you want the player who has done everything in the game to have long since maxed out the character's abilities.

With Darksiders, even with the extra souls gained from grinding out the weapon upgrades you finished the game several thousand souls short (if not tens of thousands of souls short) of being able to buy up all the abilities.

Did you guys like just run through the enemies?

I had more than enough souls to spare to level up my sword skills to max during the game's halfway point.

sn00zer said:
Oh btw best voice acting Ive ever heard in a game...also very well done characters

Yeah the voice acting was great.

Was Mark Hamil the demon though?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Truly a remarkable game.

The best way to describe it is as an enjoyable old school romp.

Game's not perfect and there are some niggles here and there but still they don't detract.

Oh and the ending is so epic.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Bitmap Frogs said:
Truly a remarkable game.

The best way to describe it is as an enjoyable old school romp.

Game's not perfect and there are some niggles here and there but still they don't detract.

Oh and the ending is so epic.

The rich, no scratch that, blazing color palettes and warm, organic, lovingly detailed art and character models remind me so much of a carefully crafted 16-bit action game.

It's like seeing the sensibilities of a Gunstar Heroes finally brought to the contemporary landscape.

I also like that the art style, by going backwards and revitalizing the American 1990's "chunky ComicColor (TM)" aesthetic, portrays a dark demonic world full of twisted creatures that doesn't look like another 2010 Grimdark "Concept Art .Org" monotone world.

sn00zer

Samael is a great bad guy
Obvious antagonist in the next game
Everyone is telling you not to help him... you know its a bad idea, but at the end of the day its the only way to reach your goal so you have to literally make a deal with the devil

The best way I can describe this game is that its a last generation game rebuilt for the current generation.

There use to be a time when games were an average of 12 to 20 hours long instead of 6 to 8.

There use to be a time when games concentrated on just a really fleshed out single player campaign instead of doing a feature checklist.

There use to be a time when games that weren't tailored to the most popular genres were given competent budgets for their time instead of mostly just the "X-clone" games.

This game is one of those games.

Igor Antunov said:
I've currently at the start, is the overworld open in any way, or totally linear? Is it zelda esque open?

It's pretty much open like Zelda. Only its not as "hub-like" and much bigger and detailed as the openworld is the dungeon kind of.

If your general question is "Is this an action-adventure game like Zelda and Metroid? Or is it an action game with adventure elements like God of War?" Then the answer is the former.

Flying_Phoenix said:
It's pretty much open like Zelda. Only its not as "hub-like" and much bigger and detailed as the openworld is the dungeon kind of.

If your general question is "Is this an action-adventure game like Zelda and Metroid? Or is it an action game with adventure elements like God of War?" Then the answer is the former.

Sweet, thanks.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Kaijima said:
The rich, no scratch that, blazing color palettes and warm, organic, lovingly detailed art and character models remind me so much of a carefully crafted 16-bit action game.

It's like seeing the sensibilities of a Gunstar Heroes finally brought to the contemporary landscape.

I also like that the art style, by going backwards and revitalizing the American 1990's "chunky ComicColor (TM)" aesthetic, portrays a dark demonic world full of twisted creatures that doesn't look like another 2010 Grimdark "Concept Art .Org" monotone world.
Precisely.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I really like the way the game does its overworld. I especially like how about halfway through the game, you think you're in the overworld, only to realize "wait, this is a dungeon!"

I don't normally 100 percent a game, let alone a long ass single player dungeon crawler. But damn, this game had me in its clutches. I played the shit out of it. I think maybe it was the art and the look of the game. I can't believe that was their first game!

O.DOGG

Yeah, I loved it too. It was perhaps a tad bit too long but it was very enjoyable so I'm not complaining. Definitely looking forward to the sequel.

Odoul

Last game I beat a few weeks ago. Pretty badass. Can't wait for the sequel.

That first boss was ridiculous though. It was more difficult than any subsequent encounter and almost made me quit the game.

Top Bottom