• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Deltarune

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Was looking for an OT - but kinda surprised that there wasn't one. I hope the crazy fanbase of Undertale didn't turn a lot of people off from this.

So Chapter 2 of Deltarune (free to play) recently released. Funny, I actually downloaded Chapter 1 on my Switch a long time ago and never got to it. But recently, since I had some time to deal with my backlog - started and completed Deltarune chapters 1-2.

Gameplay:
For those who enjoyed Undertale for what it is (gameplay, story, characters, etc.) It's pretty much more of the same. I certainly enjoyed it - but it probably won't be enough to convince those who weren't fans of the original game. Undertale actually hit my weird niche mashup of interests including, shmups/bullet hell games + indie games + rpgs. Fanbase aside, I personally really did enjoy the characters of UT. DR does a good job of introducing some more memorable characters as well.

NKgevr.png
tumblr_pi79gb7sS71v2jnh8o1_400.png
deltarune.png

Music: I don't know how he does it, but Tobyfox makes some GREAT memorable music:

and much much more...

Final Thoughts:
dcreiiw-880f6cd0-65f8-46ca-be30-ae7bb6ae2faa.gif
- Ralsei is freaking adorable.

Shall I play Undertale first before playing this game? Short answer yes. There are just too many callouts, easter eggs, and references for fans to enjoy. And based on reading up on fan theories and whatnot, there's probably a lot more connections to Undertale that Deltarune first reveals. Storywise , apparently there will be 7 chapters - so since it's been about 3 years for chapter 2 to come out - the full game will probably come out by ~2036??

Also, for those who liked the pacifist, neutral, genocide run in Undertale, there's plenty for you too in Deltarune. :)

All in all -liked Undertale? Go for it and play through Deltarune. For those who are on the fence, I do encourage you to play Undertale - it really was an experience for me - ignore the fanbase and enjoy the neat way they spice up the shmup/rpg genre.

Deltarunedemo-Screenshot-2021.09.18-19.22.57.70-1024x576.png
Thank you Toby for this Punchout call back - loved every minute of it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I played through Undertale once and loved. I tried a second play through a year or so later and absolutely hated it. There's less interest overall because of that but making it episodic in release schedule makes it completely uninteresting for me. I wish the dev all the best, though.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I guess I must have skipped my first playthrough and started with my second. Zero idea what made that game popular.
At the time I first played it, I found the writing to be enjoyable. The dialog could not save the poor gameplay and this became much more apparent on my second playthrough. If you're the type to skip cutscenes and button mash through dialog, there will not be novelty to sustain a game like Undertale for more than and hour or two.

killatopak

Last time I heard about this was on release of chapter 1. iirc Toby Fox even thought about getting some outside help to develop it. I dunno what happened after that especially with covid.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Last time I heard about this was on release of chapter 1. iirc Toby Fox even thought about getting some outside help to develop it. I dunno what happened after that especially with covid.
yeah from what I read - he legit got carpel tunnel or something -

How unfortunate - I can totally understand people not liking the stories and such (it can come off as how to say very deviantart-sy, sonic-fandomy) - but thought the gameplay was actually pretty decent.

For anybody who wants to delve into the wild world of UT fandom....

Top Bottom