• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Disappointed in the ending of Dark Pictures: Little Hope

*spoilers*

So yeah, I just finished this game and need to write about it. It's that classic copout ending of "it was all a dream," only worse. The game is about 5 people who are in a bus crash walking around this ghost town, and all throughout they keep getting pulled into the past where the witch trials were happening. Each of them have a doppelganger from this time period, and then there's also doubles of them as a family in the 70s! So three time periods involved. Based on your choices, all can live, all can die.

Great, but here's the thing. None of them even fucking exist. After you get through saving everyone, a cop shows up and arrests the main dude, and he turns into the bus driver. All along, he was just crazy and imagined he was all these people.

It's bad enough when they do this kind of thing in a TV show or whatever. When a game is based around saving these people, for them to turn around and then just say those people were a figment of a schizophrenic person's imagination, it truly makes the whole thing worthless. Like what the fuck have I been doing the past 6 hours?

Is the whole Dark Pictures thing all just going to be like scientific answers to anything supernatural? Man of Medan's ending revealed that a chemical that was in these boxes on the ship caused people to hallucinate, so there weren't any real ghosts there either. It was in their heads. Little Hope seemed like such a more interesting concept.

The next one looks cool too, like an Indiana Jones style adventure. Let me guess the twist, the lead woman is going to have a heat stroke from being in the desert and everything she went through was hallucinations.

Ouch, no reactions at all. Looking through topics on here, there was never really any discussion of this game. Must have flopped pretty bad

Humdinger

Great, but here's the thing. None of them even fucking exist. After you get through saving everyone, a cop shows up and arrests the main dude, and he turns into the bus driver. All along, he was just crazy and imagined he was all these people.

Yeah, that is a lame way to wrap up a story. "Surprise, everyone is a hallucination!" I'd be disappointed.

Thanks for the heads-up. I had considered getting the game -- the story sounded interesting, with the overlapping characters from different eras and possible themes of reincarnation -- but I'll pass. "It was all a dream!" just deflates the whole experience.

p.s. And yeah, I don't think this series is succeeding, at least judging by the response here. The first installment got very little traction and a lot of criticism. This one seems to have fizzled, too.

It's unfortunate. I enjoyed Until Dawn, but this "Dark Pictures Anthology" thing doesn't seem to be winning many people over, at least not here.

Last edited:
i read this and immediately thought of a 2003 film called Identity (John Cusack was in it). wonder if they ever mentioned it as an influence for the game.

Top Bottom