• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Doom (2016) - Did I just open a bore-tal to Hell?

Grinchy

Banned
Oh, where do I begin? This game is fucking awesome. I can't believe I am only just now playing it. You guys should have made even more threads about how good it was 3 years ago. I blame you.

The whole game is just a different configuration of the same enemy types over and over after they have each been introduced over time - and it's sublime. It's a pure, concentrated form of intense action where you need to figure out how to use your arsenal properly. They completely nailed the mechanics and then let you have your fill of them throughout a lengthy and satisfying campaign.

And when you're not killing Hell demons, you are combing the map for secrets, ammo, weapons, upgrades, and collectibles. Each weapon has 2 forms and has upgrades for each, with their final upgrades requiring a challenge of some sort while using that weapon. So not only are the guns fun to use, but I found myself enjoying just upgrading them.

If I felt compelled to list any negatives, I guess I wish there was even less of an attempt to tell the story in some areas (shorter speeches, ect) and perhaps some of the platforming could get clunky. The game teaches you that you can find secrets by cleverly exploring and grabbing ledges, but then some areas you try to go to that look just like other secret paths are just death traps with really bad invisible barriers.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I need to get around to replaying this for the third time :messenger_fearful: . The sprawl of the maps was a pleasant surprise. I would've been happy with a linear shooter a la DOOM 3 but I never expected them to actually give us large maps with tons of hidden areas and alternate paths.

Plus, dat soundtrack
9ejbajmx9df11.jpg
:messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
The levels are surprisingly big. I actually started something early on where I would only play one level per sitting. I'd just take my time and explore and murder and once the level was done, into Rest Mode the PS4 went. It is probably another reason I loved the game so much. I could go around a level for like an hour.

JimiNutz

Banned
This was my GOTG for a long time (probably still is).

Munch on some edible weed,
Turn off the lights,
Put some decent headphones on,
Crank up the volume
Make sure you increase the difficulty to at LEAST Ultra Violence

This game gives me such f an adrenaline rush unmatched by any other single player FPS I've ever played. Gunplay is so tight and intense - Like demon pussy from hell.

Warm and juicy.

Grinchy

Banned
This was my GOTG for a long time (probably still is).

Munch on some edible weed,
Turn off the lights,
Put some decent headphones on,
Crank up the volume
Make sure you increase the difficulty to at LEAST Ultra Violence

This game gives me such f an adrenaline rush unmatched by any other single player FPS I've ever played. Gunplay is so tight and intense - Like demon pussy from hell.

Warm and juicy.

I forgot to touch upon difficulty. I made the mistake of playing on Hurt Me Plenty (or whatever the 2nd tier is). By halfway through the game I realized it was just a touch too easy. I just wanted one more notch up. I probably could have change it at any time and didn't know it...

Maybe one day I'll unlock UV difficulty.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
It’s insanely good and fun to replay over and over. I’m salivating over the prospect of Doom: Eternal. I pray daily that Bethesda doesn’t fuck it up somehow

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I couldn't get into it as much...not sure why....hopefully this thread forces me back into action.
I was like this at first too, so I can’t fault you. I think the turning point for me was watching a REALLY GOOD Doom player tear through a level, it opened my eyes to how the game is really supposed to be played. Since then my enjoyment skyrocketed and I’ve played it a ton.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm sad to even say this, but one of my least favorite weapons was the super shotgun. I realize it's not a bad gun, but it's just the only one I found myself avoiding on the wheel.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Okay Grinchy Grinchy then which were your favorites?

Also, which Runes did you like best? I thought the air-control one was pretty much essential on the hardest difficulty.

Grinchy

Banned
Okay Grinchy Grinchy then which were your favorites?

Also, which Runes did you like best? I thought the air-control one was pretty much essential on the hardest difficulty.
I love the Gauss Cannon with the precision modification. Maybe I'm just a sniper at heart, but charging up and pulling off that perfect headshot while zipping around felt so satisfying. Or like when the Hell Knights are just sprinting toward you and you get that last second, head-blasting perfect shot off right before they make contact.

I also really liked the assault rifle with the scope. Something about the precision weapons, man! But really, I liked them all for different reasons. I should have experimented with the detonation mod on the rocket launcher more. The lock-on felt a little underwhelming. Aiming direct single hits just felt better to me but I assume less effective.

And I slept on the air control rune for way too long. By the time I finally equipped it, I just shook my head because it changes maneuverability completely. I liked the ammo rune for obvious reasons as well.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I love the Gauss Cannon with the precision modification. Maybe I'm just a sniper at heart, but charging up and pulling off that perfect headshot while zipping around felt so satisfying. Or like when the Hell Knights are just sprinting toward you and you get that last second, head-blasting perfect shot off right before they make contact.

I also really liked the assault rifle with the scope. Something about the precision weapons, man! But really, I liked them all for different reasons. I should have experimented with the detonation mod on the rocket launcher more. The lock-on felt a little underwhelming. Aiming direct single hits just felt better to me but I assume less effective.

And I slept on the air control rune for way too long. By the time I finally equipped it, I just shook my head because it changes maneuverability completely. I liked the ammo rune for obvious reasons as well.
Wasn't a fan of either the rocket launcher nor the assault rifle, but I'm right there with you on the gauss cannon. Had a cool design and I loved the siege mode mod.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

My favorite part of the Gauss is that when you do a charged shot it sort of blows you back a bit. Just adds to the weight of that gun feeling so effing powerful.

Grinchy

Banned
You know what else stuck out in this game were the controls. I've come to really dislike playing FPS games with a controller over the years, but this felt great with one. I'm kinda curious to see how I'd feel playing it on PC with a mouse.

Hardcastle

Neo Member
I'm just finishing my first play through and I'm really enjoying it. The only negative thing for me is that I sometimes get disoriented when I preform a glory kill. It could be due to fact that I'm not used to KB+mouse either.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm just finishing my first play through and I'm really enjoying it. The only negative thing for me is that I sometimes get disoriented when I preform a glory kill. It could be due to fact that I'm not used to KB+mouse either.
I wasn't getting disoriented from glory kills but that reminds me that I definitely had a lot of trouble keeping my bearings just when it came to getting around the maps. The map system didn't help a whole lot, either.

There were also a few times where I had to hit a switch or something and the HUD marker was pointing me to the next part of the objective after the switch was pulled. And of course the switch is just a tiny object in a giant area with blood and guts everywhere and is barely visible to the naked eye.

Bigrx1

Banned
Maybe I need to give the game another chance, I'm old and slow and it seemed too fast paced for me but maybe I need to try again I only gave it an hour or two of my time. Original Doom and Doom 2 I played pretty slow and got away with it there this felt like steroids.

Yeah some of the animations can have you facing in weird directions when they are finished. On higher difficulties it's generally recommended to glory kill as little as possible, since it doesn't get you more health and losing your bearings can be bad in an arena full of enemies that can take you out with 2-3 hits.

Gp1

The only thing "medium" in this game is the plataform sections in one level, besides that it's hands down the best FPS of this generation

MuleSkinner

Neo Member
There still hasn't been a bad DooM game, I gotta replay this one before the new one comes out.
This game has that old doom's ( 1 and 2 ) feeling on modern technology.
Only doom 3 was different but still a very good game.

ROMhack

I thought it was boring. Solid gameplay in parts but feels quite aimless when stood next to other contemporary shooters like The New Colossus. I really disliked its attempts at storytelling and found it quite repetitive after a while.

If that's just me then fine...

Last edited:
The new one coming in March looks to have more space to play with. Can't wait.
I played it at QuakeCon...it's just more of the same. A bunch of super obvious arenas strung together. They try their best to hide it but it's not hard to spot that you can't progress through the level without ripping and tearing your way through an arbitrary number of demons first. I was pumped but after having actually played it I'm pretty meh about it. I'll pick it up at some point when it's on sale, I'm sure.

Grinchy

Banned
Is bore-tal high-minded mining humour about the UAC trying to frack hell?

Because if so, bravo.
lol, I wish. It's just an inside joke for no one in particular. A couple of us had made LTTP threads with a title insinuating the game was boring, and some people got their panties twisted, so I knew then and there that every LTTP thread I made would have to incorporate the word bore somehow, even if I like the game.

Shifty

lol, I wish. It's just an inside joke for no one in particular. A couple of us had made LTTP threads with a title insinuating the game was boring, and some people got their panties twisted, so I knew then and there that every LTTP thread I made would have to incorporate the word bore somehow, even if I like the game.
You absolute scoundrel, Grinchy.

73705.jpg

Last edited:
I played Doom 2016 right ater having finished Uncharted 4. Doom was the perfect medicine after that bore fest that was uncharted 4. Pure gameplay. Minimal story nonsense.

Top Bottom