• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Dragon Age (I Suck)

Crazetex

Hi, I really like Dragon Age, even though I'm only on my second run-through! There are some ORDERS OF BUSINESS TO DISCUSS here.

1) A friend is getting the game this weekend, so I wrote up a recommended mod list for him. It includes basic instructions for how to install stuff and in what order as well as a screenshot of where your override folder should be (it's seriously mostly drag-and-drop, so don't worry about being able to not remove it to save your ruined game or whatever if you mess up). I suggest getting RAVAGE for the loot and randomization even if you don't use it for extra difficulty. Most important mod is the helm remover.
Get the list here: http://pastebin.com/kG3CAxYk

2) I beat the game using Alistair, Morrigan and Zevran the entire time (I booted Alistair temporarily in the Deep Roads due to the forced party member). Because Morrigan states early on that she's not a healer, I refused to give her any Creation spells. I beat the game on Normal with only poultices for healing! Anybody who says you NEED a healer are lame; I am notoriously bad amongst my friends at videogames and yet I did it. Each boss took me at least five tries (the Ogre and Uldred both took at least ten, but shaddup), but I did it. It was terrific fun and really required me to think tactically. (Sidenote: I would have opened up my party a little, but I didn't have the DLC for Shale, I killed Leliana and Wynne and hated Oghren. Sten was boring and I switched Alistair to 2H anyway.)

2wfpo9s.jpg

3) H key is your favorite key. It switches between Follow and Hold - meaning that your companions can Hold their spot to set up ambushes. This is terrific for archers or mages you don't want getting dirty with cone or touch spells.

4) Don't fight Revenants unless you absolutely must or are on your second playthrough. Here's how I fight them (image below): a single tank either uses sustained Threaten or spams Taunt while using sword-and-board skills that also build threat (this might be part of Combat Tweaks only, but Shield Bash and Shield Pummel are tanking skills for me). Everybody else ranges. It's pretty simple, and works for big bosses that are alone. If they summon/have minions, however, somebody should be on clean-up duty. If the battle takes place over a wide spread of land, split up into two groups - have one group take out any mages, and another group keep the most dangerous foe occupied. This is very useful against mages because only part of your party will be hit by any area-of-effect spells!

4r88px.jpg

5) Hold your horses for a minute and I'll upload some screenshots of my Tactics set-ups for you. I actively put points into my characters' Tactics skills to unlock new slots and also have Advanced Tactics, which adds more options (it does NOT unlock every slot to start. That's called "cheating, you little bugger.")

These are by the time I reach Redcliffe; I've already done the Circle of Magi quest.

Main Character: http://i51.tinypic.com/jzityw.jpg
-He's mainly a sword-and-shield secondary tank (or tank if I don't bring a second warrior); I only use the archery skills at specific times for bosses or picking off far-away mages
-He's pretty simple! The very first tactic is where it is because I want to knock that sucker down before he finishes casting - you don't want a fiery storm in your way, trust me
Alistair: http://i51.tinypic.com/2eek5uf.jpg
-Alistair's healing tactic has a very low setting because I try to stay on top of HP myself, but since he's a tank he needs an emergency option
-Once he gets another slot I'm going to have Shield Defense turn off automatically
-Shield Wall is better at low HP because it adds armor (damage mitigation), but is very costly to sustain. Shield Defense is "lighter" to cast/sustain but only adds to defense (evasion)
-Taunt is very important since he is my main tank if I bring him; I also control him a lot because he's hot. Errrr, I mean, because I like tanking!
Morrigan: http://i54.tinypic.com/24bitxh.jpg
-Morrigan stays alive via Drain Life and Death Magic.
-Whenever she uses her cone-shaped lightning spell it's because I set it up; I don't want her in the melee unless I'm directly controlling her
-She tries to debuff the scariest enemies first; I usually have her work on the second-most scary enemy
-By using Vulnerability Hex before Lightning, Lightning deals more damage
Leliana: http://i54.tinypic.com/53bkw.jpg
-Leliana's very, very first tactic is Below the Belt. She is an archer 85% of the time (sometimes I have her melee a mage or other ranged attacker) and so she doesn't want to be melee'd. Below the Belt staggers the enemy for a second due to, well, a stomp to the crotch (seriously, watch the animation sometime; it really is a crotchstomp)
-Song of Valor is great (increased stamina/mana regen) but when she's running out of stamina I'd rather she used it to kill stuff
-The armor stuff is mostly "please actually hit and weaken tanks plzkthnx." Notice that those specify her target and not "enemy" - meaning that she stays on top of one specific monster until it's down
-When her target is snipe'd to death, she revets to whoever I'm controlling's target (usually Derek or Alistair/Sten) and repeats
-Because I'm building her to get lots of criticals, I don't use Rapid Shot. I only have it because it's a requirement for other skills
Sten: http://i53.tinypic.com/mkcen7.jpg
-Sten focuses on passive and sustained abilities; while Alistair is a defensive tank, Sten rushes in and attracts attention just by yelling and swinging a giant hammer
-Threaten is his Taunt; it should always be active
-Indomitable makes him harder to kill and impossible to stun/knock over. NEVER FALTER
-Like other anti-mage tactics, Sten automatically rushes over to knock over (via Pommel Strike) any casters
-He has very, very little stamina due to stacking the sustained skills, so he only uses Mighty Blow when it's most effective
-When he gets another tactic slot he'll auto-target petrified enemies; I'll set up tactics so that he and Wynne hang out and petrify/critical foes together (same with Morrigan if I decide to take her down the Ice route)
Wynne: http://i53.tinypic.com/2l728.jpg
-Unlike Sten who has no stamina, Wynne has ridiculous Willpower and can easy stack tons of sustained spells while still being an effective healer and caster. As such, Spell Wisp (a sustained boost to Spellpower) is delicious
-I only use Group Heal and Earthquake when I command
-I'll switch "Alistair: Dead" to whoever my main tank is, but I've only used her in one dungeon so far so...! I don't want it to be set to anybody since if one person dies, it usually means we're going to wipe anyway or that the battle's almost over
-I prefer Morrigan overall (badass + Death Magic amuses me + BESPIDER/BEBEAR is good for crowd control/tanking in certain situations ("lots of mages around? Let me just TURN INTO A BEAR AND EAT THEM RARGH")), but Wynne is still useful

6) I have a huge album of DA:O screenshots. Take a look, if you're interested (beware of massive spoilers; first-time players should not look!).
Look here: http://tinypic.com/a/21nvs/1

Patryn

RedSwirl said:
What's the penalty if I wait too long to
save Connor
? I've decided to head on over to the Circle Tower after I've explored the upper parts of Redcliffe Castle.

If you try to explore the upper parts of RedCliffe Castle, be careful; You may trigger an unavoidable fight with Connor, forcing you to kill him.

JRW

I bought DA during the recent holiday sale, I was getting my ass handed to me at the very first enemy encounter in the game (The Fade section, Elf Mage), I think they were called Wisps? until I finally realized you have to pause the game very frequently during combat to survive.. I still have a lot to learn but I managed to defeat the demon that I was sent in after.

So far im liking the game although the text is a little small @ 1080p

Red

Crazetex: what's that about setting up ambushes? How does that work? I'm aware of all the combat commands, but whenever my characters are holding they don't seem to attack. When they're all active, even my mages and arches rush right into the middle of battle so I'm forced to manage a big ol' clusterfuck.

I really love the game regardless of not fully understanding combat. Might be one of my favorites. About 35 hours in now, just finished the first Blight quest (Magi).

RedSwirl

Fimbulvetr said:
Yep. Only lies.

So I can just take my time with the rest of the castle and Circle Tower?

Oh, and I just flipped down to easy mode while fighting the Revenant. I do appreciate that the overall difficulty of this game is a bit above that of the walk-a-games we're getting on consoles these days.

Ledsen

Started the game today on Hard, right now going through the Wilds... it's not easy, I like it! I've actually died once in here, although it was because I forgot to drink health potions :lol

Crazetex

Crunched said:
Crazetex: what's that about setting up ambushes? How does that work? I'm aware of all the combat commands, but whenever my characters are holding they don't seem to attack. When they're all active, even my mages and arches rush right into the middle of battle so I'm forced to manage a big ol' clusterfuck.

I really love the game regardless of not fully understanding combat. Might be one of my favorites. About 35 hours in now, just finished the first Blight quest (Magi).

Really? I don't have any problems with, say, Leliana and Morrigan rushing in even when they are allowed to move freely. Just keep them far enough away, and (possibly with Advanced Tactics) make archers go back to their bow after some stray melee (or tank better).

Regarding ambushes, they're mostly useful in interior dungeons. Have your rogue stealth ahead, then set up traps. Send your dudes into good positions and have your tank pull the enemies across the traps and into your ambush. Goal!

RedSwirl

I'm at The Fade now. What am I in for as a rogue?

Also, I gave this Black Grimorie thing to Morrigan because the game suggested I should. Anything I should know quest-wise?

On the subject, is it possible to keep Morrigan's approval up/romance her without being a total dick (current approval is at around +31)? On that alone I probably shouldn't even be trying. Is there some later point in the story were I can start convincing her not to be a bitch? If my only other option is Leliana (who is a hopeless romantic) then we have a problem.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RedSwirl said:
On the subject, is it possible to keep Morrigan's approval up/romance her without being a total dick (current approval is at around +31)? On that alone I probably shouldn't even be trying. Is there some later point in the story were I can start convincing her not to be a bitch? If my only other option is Leliana (who is a hopeless romantic) then we have a problem.

Aside from a few crucial story points later in the game that can turn her away, I'm pretty sure that you can just keep pumping her full of gifts until she loves you. She may disapprove of a few of your choices, but it's nothing a FOUND CAKE can't fix. You should still be a dick either way, it's more fun like that.

By the way, I also sucked at this game. Then again, I didn't even bother with strategy since it was a pain on a PS3 controller. I had to finish it on easy.

RedSwirl

Fimbulvetr said:
Lots of approval for Morrigan also exclusive equipment for Morrigan.

And XP i guess. *shrug*

But you can
lie to her and just give her the real grimorie right? Why shouldn't I just agree to let Flemeth flee?

RedSwirl

Fimbulvetr said:
Because that would be mean. ;_;

But it still saves me from basically
having to take on a High Dragon - and apparently she's going to survive into Dragon Age II anyway.

I got Dragon age only a month or so before DA2 came out. Loved it a lot but was stuck in the Fade area just around when DA2 came out. Decided to jump right to DA2 at that point and regretted it since I felt the quality of DA2 felt like such a step down from DAO. Finally just busted out DAO again. I figure I should play the hell out of this game before going back to DA2 since I enjoyed it so much more. After DA2, I'm even enjoying playing the Fade part.

PLayed on 360 and hit the mage tower and redcliff and now I am stuck at the dwarf area. needless to say I tried a few more times later and I am still stuck.

Pc version looks amazing crisp in comparison and a bit harder thus far. Much more pausing and using tactics than 360. I am liking it and since I got the ultimate edition or what not I have all the DLC so I will complete it.

Still need to do a KOTOR 2 playthrough and I wanna do a pc KOTOR 1 since i played xbox. But Mass Effect 2 may need a pc treat.

Top Bottom