• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (3DS)

So. This game isn't terrible. I picked it up for £13, and well. It's absolutely fine. Touch-screen mechanics are a little frustrating, Mickey could be faster, and the story could be seen by some as cumbersome (though I love Disney characters, so it's all gravy for me personally). But it's really pretty, has amazing music, and is just a 2D Mickey platformer like I played growing up. I really missed those.

I've heard it's short and somewhat unfinished, which is a shame, but it's definitely a solid 7 for me. Kind of hope they get to do a sequel, though the series is sort of a bomb. It's certainly better than Epic Mickey on the Wii.

vareon

It's good that you enjoyed it instead of letting people's opinion judge the game for you.

Still don't like it, though. Based on the demo, that is.

I really liked the demo actually, but it was too complicated for my daughter so we never picked it up. Maybe in a couple years when she can read.

Celegus

I didn't play it, but my wife liked it well enough. Said it had its issues (mostly the painting), but is by no means a bad game.

grumpy

I really wanted to like this game. When it was first revealed, I thought I was finally going to play a "proper Kingdom Hearts" game, only without all the Square Anux garbage smeared all over the classic Disney IPs. It felt like it needed another 6+ months of development time. Needless to say, it would be a much better game without all the touchscreen shit shoehorned in.

haystax

Neo Member
I got it for free as it was in the box of games i was judging for last years AIAS dice awards and even then I felt ripped off. A truly horrible, horrible platformer.
Glad you are getting your monies worth from it though.

Lijik

Based on demo, the touch/paint thing killed the pace of the game, which will be way better without it.

Beyond the unskippable nearly twenty minute intro for a demo this is what truly killed any hype for me. Awful mechanic, cant believe they stuck with it. I think itd be a decent enough game without it, but its insufferable with it.

Beyond the unskippable nearly twenty minute intro for a demo this is what truly killed any hype for me. Awful mechanic, cant believe they stuck with it. I think itd be a decent enough game without it, but its insufferable with it.

Augh, that freakin' intro. I can't believe they thought including that in the demo was a good idea. First time I booted it up was on the train, and I'd reached my destination before I even got to check out any actual gameplay. =|

qko

Like you said, it's a solid 7 in where there are glaring flaws that exist where one can't say it's an amazing game and isn't not awful where the game is unplayable. I enjoyed unlocking characters and the touch controls didnt bother me too much . But god, Mickey runs slower than a piece of gum stuck under a table.

Picked it up for a similar price a month or so back and yeah, it's not terrible, but it's very underwhelming. If they'd fixed or gotten rid of the paint stuff, maybe sped Mickey up just a tad and have not cut out the last quarter of the game it could've been something pretty good.

BOUmnXsCMAAwV8w.jpg

Shoutout to Snow White and the Seven Little Men.

sakipon

I really wanted to like this game. When it was first revealed, I thought I was finally going to play a "proper Kingdom Hearts" game, only without all the Square Anux garbage smeared all over the classic Disney IPs. It felt like it needed another 6+ months of development time. Needless to say, it would be a much better game without all the touchscreen shit shoehorned in.

Kind of hard to take your criticism seriously...

Goody

DreamRift does good stuff. From what I've played this is no exception, though it's not as good as Monster Tale or Henry Hatsworth. It's definitely better, for me at least, than the Wii's Epic Mickey.

It's good that you enjoyed it instead of letting people's opinion judge the game for you.

Still don't like it, though. Based on the demo, that is.

Same here. I was thinking it'd be a "must-buy" 3DS game...

I played the demo and was completely turned off from it. Very sad for me.

Atolm

It's one of the biggest turds from 2012. The only redeeming quality is that Epic Mickey 2 for consoles is even worse.

They should give the series one more go with a sequel for 3DS, minimize the touch mechanic (only bring it up in key points), and make Mickey faster.

But what they SHOULD have done was let Dreamrift do their own version of the Ducktales remake for 3DS with the engine. Yeah Wayforward is doing the game, but Dreamrift made a beautiful sprite-based world that would've been perfect for Ducktales. Hell the Scrooge power-up is based on it.

Noogy

I'd like to pick this up sometime. Visually it was just mind-blowingly beautiful, and I'm not against slow pacing in games. My only complaint was how anal the 'fill in the shape' mechanic was about literally filling in every pixel... surely some usability testing should have pointed that this was an issue.

Of course, my kids would love that sort of thing. So maybe usability was spot on.

eXistor

This was a party I wish I never went to. What a waste of a perfectly good opportunity to make a decent 2D platformer. Everything sucked about it. If it was a 3 dollar downloadable game it would be okay I guess, but full price for this half-finished turd? Not worth it.

Top Bottom