• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Fatal Frame Series

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So after hearing the announcement of Fatal Frame V going to multiple consoles, I decided to jump in back to the Fatal Frame series.

I've only complete 2 (PS2) and stopped near the end for 1 (PS3). I picked it up again around mid June. Here are my impressions for I, 3, and 4:

Fatal Frame - Probably one of the most stressful Fatal Frame games due to only having one difficulty, lots of RNG ghosts, and in the end an RNG ghost who is difficult to kill (the monk ghost). Environment is very creepy and immersive.

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly - I don't know much about this (last time I finished this was 15 years ago), but what I do remember is getting scared by killing multiple ghosts. I was probably less scared here than FF1.

Fatal Frame III: The Tormented - I stopped midway in my first run because I got too scared to proceed one part (no camera and you need to hide from ghosts). I mustered up enough courage and used a guide to get me going. It's fortunate that I did use a guide because the map is confusing (and repetitive) and most of the items need to progress through the story are very scattered. The story is pretty good though. I did like the house hub becoming slowly haunted (but not as haunted enough as Silent Hill 4's hub). Good thing there's an easy mode too.

Fatal Frame IV: Mask of the Lunar Ecluipse - Tbh, this feels like a streamlined Fatal Frame game wherein there are no random battles, it's more linear than 3, and there's an easy difficulty. My favorite part is probably the usage of a flashlight instead of the camera because of unlimited ammo, lol. My issue here with this game is the controls because it's heavily reliant on the Wiimote. If they ported this game to other consoles, it's going to be probably the most accessible Fatal Frame game because of its semi-linearity and no RNG encounters. Ghosts definitely look scary than the previous FF games.

What are your thoughts on the other Fatal Frame games? Also any impressions on Fatal Frame 5?

cireza

Banned
I completed Maiden of Black Water on Wii U a few months ago, it was my first game from the series, and it was awesome.

The game looked very good, definitely one of the prettier games on the console. The Gamepad was a perfect fit for the camera : you really feel like you are holding it. You have to aim by rotating the camera to get as many targets as possible, and it works really well. It feels extremely natural and was great fun.

I was also surprised to see that there is a pretty addictive scoring mechanic.

Honestly, I don't see how you can enjoy this as much without the Gamepad. This is a Zombi U case : the game is entirely designed around it. In any case, I really recommend this game, if you like slower paced, atmospheric. It wasn't too scary in my opinion, it was more about the atmosphere (which was fantastic).

Last edited:

robotnik

Played only first one for 1 hour and was too scared to continue :)
Plan to start the series properly with ps4 port.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I remember running out of film in the first two games kinda softlocking myself... so I never finished them. I have the WiiU one too but not played it yet.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I completed Maiden of Black Water on Wii U a few months ago, it was my first game from the series, and it was awesome.
Fatal Frame games are low-key some of the best looking console games, probably almost on par with Silent Hill PS2.

It would be really cool if they would remaster all of them on all consoles with physical editions. I miss this series.

I've only played the first (and loved it). I've got 2 & 3 in my backlog. I really need to get to them one day.

I remember running out of film in the first two games kinda softlocking myself... so I never finished them. I have the WiiU one too but not played it yet.

I remember reading a review prior to playing the first about that possibility, so I hoarded film/used the weakest film through most of the game, and I was drowning in powerful film at the end, lol.

kunonabi

2 is easily the best especially the original ps2 version. I'd put 4 right behind it. The first is also really strong especially for a first effort. 3 is the only one I didn't care for. Just too bloated. Still not sure where I sit with 5. It does a lot I like but they handled the game pad controls completely wrong which is a real shame because they could have been something really amazing.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Fun fact all three ps2 are on the ps3 as ps2 classics so, if you have a ps3 you
Why none of them are available anywhere else I cannot say nor why nintendo handled 4 like they did

I've only played the first (and loved it). I've got 2 & 3 in my backlog. I really need to get to them one day.

I remember reading a review prior to playing the first about that possibility, so I hoarded film/used the weakest film through most of the game, and I was drowning in powerful film at the end, lol.
My brother ran out of ammo playing resident evil, knife v hunter, gonna go with hunter

Flabagast

I played FF1 for the first time this year.

I was totally blown away. The game holds up extremely well (including visuals) and is still very very scary to this day (it had been a long time I was so afraid in a game). I cannot recommend it enough.

killatopak

Gold Member
I think I liked FF3 the most. Something about a tattoo spreading over your body after you wake up from a nightmare is terrifying to me.

Also reminds me of SH4 where you have a room or in this case an apartment that slowly gets haunted the longer you explore the dream world.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I've beaten 2 and 4 on Wii. 2 was an amazing game. 4 is good I guess. I've played a little of 3 but didn't continue with it. 5 has very nice graphics but I didn't like using the Wii U gamepad

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly have a special place in my gaming life.

I like the sound... gameplay and the main character, But honestly, this game does not scare me, or maybe my culture does not make me stress in the game environment, I was fall asleep in the middle of the gameplay.

In the original fatal frame, I am very stressed by how the controller is set.

I feel a lot of difficulty in controlling the character ... I will have to give it a second chance

Last edited:
I don't know if I should be sad or happy because the only game I'm looking forward is Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water on PS5. BF 2042 beta killed any wish to buy other games this year so yeah... well less money to spend and it looks good anyway

Cute

777903.jpg
ZIXPXOZ.jpg

fart town usa

Gold Member
I got relatively far in the first game years ago on the XBOX but wasn't able to beat it. Just got too tough towards the end, I was loving it though. The game was terrifying.

Never played much of 2 or 3. I have 4 on the Wii, haven't beaten it but it's a pretty solid game.

5 on the Wii U is really great, I've been chipping away it every few months for the past year.

Overall it's a great franchise.

Heimdall_Xtreme

I got relatively far in the first game years ago on the XBOX but wasn't able to beat it. Just got too tough towards the end, I was loving it though. The game was terrifying.

Never played much of 2 or 3. I have 4 on the Wii, haven't beaten it but it's a pretty solid game.

5 on the Wii U is really great, I've been chipping away it every few months for the past year.

Overall it's a great franchise.
There is a way to play Fatal frame IV in english or something?

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
There is a way to play Fatal frame IV vía emulator in english or something?
Probably but I'm not entirely sure. I actually have the physical game and the mod installed on the Wii, etc.

I would assume that someone figured out a way to get the english translation playable via Dolphin or something like that.

This thread is from 11 years ago but it looks like it can be done, looks time consuming though.
Fatal Frame 4 English Patch working with Dolphin using WiiScrubber Method (dolphin-emu.org)

Heimdall_Xtreme

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't know if I should be sad or happy because the only game I'm looking forward is Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water on PS5. BF 2042 beta killed any wish to buy other games this year so yeah... well less money to spend and it looks good anyway
Go into it expecting a PS3 type atmospheric horror game and you might be pleasantly surprised. It has great atmosphere and sound design. Control is kind of sluggish but it's a solid game if you're a fan of horror games.

I own 1 and 2 on the OG Xbox. Aside from Siren Blood Curse probably the scariest games I've ever played, still go back every now and then, still have some stuff to unlock in 2.

Hope we can get those games remastered or faithfully remade at some point.

Fatal Frame 1 is on my to-beat list, tried multiple times to beat it but dropped it each time. Thankfully I was able to beat the one on Wii U, one of the scariest games I've played/beaten. Fuck Chapter 13 lol

Top Bottom