• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm at the entrance to the Technolith, and I'm having much fun with this game. I started it expecting only some light FF themed minigames for me to play from time to time, but besides having that the game also delivers a quite neat card based battle system and a surprisingly good amount of fun.

The plot is almost nonexistant and I'm glad for that. The characters are funny and I chuckle at some things like when Behemoth said "a winner is you", and the books tales are cute. There's something nostalgic and heart warming to me about reading chidlike fables featuring Leviathan, adamantoises, cactuars, Caith Sith and other usual creatures from the "FF lore".

The visuals are very colorful and clearly aimed at a younger crowd, but that never bothers me. Graphics are very solid as to be expected from SE, one of the best DS 3D IMO. The 2D cut-outs in the card battles and fables are also very well done. Music is good too.

I find myself booting up the DS to complete the achievements in the books to get new cards, and I lose lots of time in the harder minigames only to get a gold score. Overall they're pretty addictive and fun.

I'm liking it much more than I first thought I would. Anyone else at GAF that played and liked this one?

Teasel

nice game but the card game feel like a throwaway thought,especialy when the cpu doesn't have an AI but instead just play cards in a specific pattern... minigames could have also used some work,the normal one are quite easy even on the hardest difficulty and the microgames are incredibly hard to the point of reaching frustating level

oh for those people that enjoyed the card game,remember that the new chocobo dungeon for wii has this minigame too in fact it even has new cards (spear card that win when they encounter a shield card) although it still has the same DS graphics :/

Yeah, its a very well done, little game and it shows the way all minigame collections should be made. Very charming with some good challenge in it.
It actually did for minigames what Layton is doing for brain teasers right now.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I played through it about a month ago, really enjoyed it. Easily one of the DS's most underrated (or at least underrecognized) games. Loved the 2D/3D storybook aesthetic throughout, easily some of the best visuals you'll see on DS.

The minigames were plentiful, varied, and pretty much all really well done, and the 'achievement' aspect of it where fulfilling every goal nets you more cards was a great incentive keep playing until you master them. And yeah, the card battles were really fun, the rules were simple but they were still sufficiently challenging.

I'm really hoping the Chocobo game for Wii makes it over, as its made by the same dev (h.a.n.d.). They won a lot of points from me thanks to this DS game.

slaughterking said:
It actually did for minigames what Layton is doing for brain teasers right now.

This is actually a perfect summation of my experience. I would say that my favorite aspect of the game was unlocking the "and everyone lived horribly/died" ending to the fairy tales.

Kazenone

The music mini-game was IMPOSSIBLE. Even the inclusion of Cait Sith didn't make it bearable. It was way too hard and I think i'm still stuck trying to get the last secret; get 20 points (I started it back in August).

FoxSpirit

Kazenone said:
The music mini-game was IMPOSSIBLE. Even the inclusion of Cait Sith didn't make it bearable. It was way too hard and I think i'm still stuck trying to get the last secret; get 20 points (I started it back in August).

The scret is that you have to activate the instrument IN ADVANCE. Not tap it in sync with the music. So easy once you find that out.

kswiston

FoxSpirit said:
The scret is that you have to activate the instrument IN ADVANCE. Not tap it in sync with the music. So easy once you find that out.

Yeah, I had a lot of trouble with it before discovering htis. Afterwards, it became one of the easiest minigames in the title.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Indeed, it's crucial to realize that in the music minigame. The parts where the instruments play too close to each other can still cause some trouble, though.

I was a bit shocked at the "The Adamantoise and the Cactuar, Vol.2- Rescue on the Rapids" book when in one of the endings the Adamantoise fails to save the Cactuar and Bismarck actually eats both of them. There was no subtext like "you should not lie" or "keep your promises", it just ended badly. At least Punch's Bismarck chest at the beach opened with that one. :lol

Kazenone

FoxSpirit said:

mindblown. brb going to go try this out! thanks!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
FoxSpirit said:

Oh shit... I was wondering why I've been doing this wrong... and because of this minigame I totally gave up on the game.

The actual game has some lovely graphics and some GREAT remixes of FF music though.

Top Bottom