• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Final Fantasy IX

Teslerum

How people felt about it 20 years ago is worthless IMO if it doesn't hold up today.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Are you AJUMP23 AJUMP23 ? Do you hold some sort of authority over his memories? Did every old game suddenly become *worthless*, because graphics, QOL features and framerate advanced? Are all other and modern games perfect?

And just for your info I'm enjoying it just fine. Today. Thank you. I'm glad for every enhancement I get like the Moguri Mod or the Memoria engine tweaks, but that doesn't mean the original doesn't hold value for me.

AJUMP23

How people felt about it 20 years ago is worthless IMO if it doesn't hold up today.

I think you are trying to be controversial for no reason. A lot of games are a slice in a time period and they are still great as you remember them. A game doesn't have to hold up to still be a great game today, when it was released. I think the story and the characters in FFIX are great. I even like the cheesy song. I also would prefer a true turn based battle system to what went on in FFXV.

I enjoyed the game, please accept that statement.

Teslerum

It's weird to me how many people liked IX when it was hands down my least favorite FF in the entire expanded game series.

TBH, as curiously with most JRPG's, there's not really any real strong overall opinion on FF games. VI and VII come closest to overall praise, but even there you will find detractors and lovers in any community. I myself am one of those blasphemous people that thinks VII (while I like it) is overrated. Just how it is.

Or if we go outside FF ask New-Persona fans which is the best between 3, 4 and 5. It's a slaughterhouse.

Thabass

TBH, as curiously with most JRPG's, there's not really any real strong overall opinion on FF games. VI and VII come closest to overall praise, but even there you will find detractors and lovers in any community. I myself am one of those blasphemous people that thinks VII (while I like it) is overrated. Just how it is.

Or if we go outside FF ask New-Persona fans which is the best between 3, 4 and 5. It's a slaughterhouse.

Heh. The only one I've played to completion is Persona 5, but I like them all for from what I've played of 3 and 4.

Final Fantasy I think has more cutthroats of particular ones. Originally, FFIX was my favorite all-time. Today it's FFXIV. I don't really put too much stock in poo-pooing on other's favorites. You like what you like. There's real no reason why most gamers can just agree. It's all ego at that point. Like what you like, I say.

mcjmetroid

mcjmetroid mcjmetroid Did you ever finish this? Been curious to hear what you thought.
I did finish it unfortunetly I had to use the in game cheats for the battles towards the end becauase it would have got insanely grindy otherwise.

I think it's that's my only major gripe with it.

I enjoy the story, Really enjoy the card game minigame for whatever reason.

also love how hilariously over the top some of the special attacks

I'd give it a solid 9/10

Nico_D

Other than what I ranted before, I have enjoyed it a lot. Getting very close to end, I hope I don't have to use cheats again.

Definitely one of my favorite FFs.

Top Bottom