• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Final Fantasy IX

Krathoon

I ran around and caught some frogs. Now I am back to the Esto Gaza island. The monsters there are really hard. These ones are casting freeze and kicking my butt. I did visit the Iifa Tree and had Quina eat some monsters. I picked up Level 5 Death. I need to see if I can pick up some heal magic with Quina. I think I missed that.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
FFIX I feel is the last truly great FF. It’s a shame, the magic is totally gone at this point even with how enjoyabld FFVIIR was.

The one thing that surprises me though is I remember back in the day I had FFIX right up there among the best FF soundtracks and I think Nobuo said he thinks it’s his best work. But this year I listened to the whole soundtrack front to back and it’s still obviously very good, everything Nobuo does is good, but I dropped it down a bit. Its highs are very high, but it doesn’t have the quantity of tracks I keep going back to that a few other FF soundtracks do. VIII’s remains my favorite.

Last edited:
I'm so happy to see people playing this game for the first time, the game getting a new audience, maybe a younger (than me) one. I hope everyone gets the same experience I had back then. Remembering this game still makes me feel some butterflies in the stomach. Great game, silly lovable characters and story and lots of memorable scenes and music. For me, it's the game in the series that better encompasses the title of the series, "Final Fantasy", and what made this series great.

Krathoon

Mount Gulug was shorter than I thought. I had to syth some fairy earrings to get Body Temp on my party members. I also had Locomotion and Antidote enabled. I discovered some monsters could be easily killed by level 5 death.
There are a bunch of cutscenes after that before you get the airship.
I started Ipsen's Castle, but I think I will jump back to an earlier save and explore with the airship.

Krathoon

There were some monsters I forgot to let Quinna eat in Gulug. I might go back. I did eat a red dragon and got Twister. You can actually use that spell against them for massive damage.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Two highly elusive secrets that I wasn't able to figure out. Never did find these despite a lot of effort put in

1. The locked door on the airship. Amarant was near that door at one point
2. The hidden treasure chest for Chocobo Hot and Cold hidden near Treno

Krathoon

Level 5 Death is a real useful spell. I always try it out to speed things up. You can spam it against the monsters at Esto Gaza to easily level up. I think the monsters at the Desert Palace can be killed by it too.

Krathoon

Whenever you find a new shop in the game, you have to look through the inventory and buy the best gear. Try to buy anything you don't already have.

One thing I need to do is grind for a while and build up my gil. I need to buy a bunch of stuff at the auction house.

Last edited:

Narasumas

Which are your top five games of all time? And any other FF games in your top ten?
Umm that’s a tough one. I’ll give it my best shot:

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. BoTW
3. Metroid Prime
4. OoT
5. Chrono Trigger
6. THPS 2
7. Super Mario 64
8. Celeste
9. Animal Crossing (GCN)
10. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Honorable Mentions: Pokémon R/B/Y, Final Fantasy X, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Skies of Arcadia Legends, LOZ: Majora’s Mask, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Metroid.

Krathoon

One thing that is annoying is that on Disc 3, the weapons shop in Alexandria is gone after it was destroyed and the no one is in the Mage Village to run the shop.

There is a weapons shop in Conde Petie you can go to.

Then Treno opens back up when you get the airship.

Narasumas

I have been playing this in Duckstation on a laptop. I have it where the saves go into the cloud and I can pull them down on my desktop.

I try to play on the laptop most of the time.
Damn that’s pretty cool. I’ve only ever played console versions. Are you playing with any mods like the Moguri mod or anything?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Played on the Switch, but the graphics for the Xbox Series X, PS4, and PC blew the Switch's out of the water, was surprised at how nice it looked in comparison. If the game's getting the remake treatment as the rumors suggest, then it's going to be something for the ages. The experience can be sharply heightened with a remake and I think FFIX will blow its audience away when the time comes. FFIX Remake will probably reel in countless new fans too, and further strengthen the already strong FF fanbase

Tschumi

Should I give this a go? So far I've only really loved FF12, but if this is different again from FF7/X/etc I might like it, what say you?

Krathoon

Damn that’s pretty cool. I’ve only ever played console versions. Are you playing with any mods like the Moguri mod or anything?
No. The only enhancement I am using is that I doubled the internal resolution. It makes it look better while still feeling like a PS1 game.

Tschumi

The main difference from FF12 is that it is turn based and not fully 3D. You have to be fine with playing PS1 era games.
Yeah, I've recently tried to get into FF 6 because apparently it's the best, I've found that I've come to a point where I can dig the more oldschool style of play, but as I gather IX is both well received and a bit more accessible in this sense, so yeah... I'm giving it a try on my Vita as we speak... type

Cutty Flam

Banned
Should I give this a go? So far I've only really loved FF12, but if this is different again from FF7/X/etc I might like it, what say you?
It’s an unforgettable game. There are so many moments in this game that are indescribable. The first time I ever felt like words would never be enough for what I had just experienced was after completing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Final Fantasy IX is another example of a game that takes you on an unforgettable adventure

I spent 120 some hours playing FFIX and thinking through my decisions, exploring, and after the credits rolled it hit me…I should have spent 160-200 hours savoring the game. Trying to 100% and spend more time understanding everything because it is a once in a life time game that comes with only one first-time experience. My advice would be to cherish your time with the game from start to finish and do not doubt for a second its greatness bc FFIX is truly a beautiful game; it’s a masterpiece

Tschumi

It’s an unforgettable game. There are so many moments in this game that are indescribable. The first time I ever felt like words would never be enough for what I had just experienced was after completing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Final Fantasy IX is another example of a game that takes you on an unforgettable adventure

I spent 120 some hours playing FFIX and thinking through my decisions, exploring, and after the credits rolled it hit me…I should have spent 160-200 hours savoring the game. Trying to 100% and spend more time understanding everything because it is a once in a life time game that comes with only one first-time experience. My advice would be to cherish your time with the game from start to finish and do not doubt for a second its greatness bc FFIX is truly a beautiful game; it’s a masterpiece
wow, i seem to have overlooked this title, i think i must have confused it with FF11 or something... i've played a few minutes of it and the very little i've experinced thus far seems pretty solid, i'll have to put more time into it later on today. but yes i hope this game can grab my attention in the same way it has yours...

I'm falling in love with my vita all over again, playing a bunch of ps1 classics like gran turismo... just so wonderful to have games like this in your pocket

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
wow, i seem to have overlooked this title, i think i must have confused it with FF11 or something... i've played a few minutes of it and the very little i've experinced thus far seems pretty solid, i'll have to put more time into it later on today. but yes i hope this game can grab my attention in the same way it has yours...

I'm falling in love with my vita all over again, playing a bunch of ps1 classics like gran turismo... just so wonderful to have games like this in your pocket
I still remember the first time I ever saw a Playstation Vita, it was my friend’s and he modded it to play Nintendo games. Played it in first period class when we were freshmen in hs. He was playing DKC: Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble during a morning party we had earned nearing the holidays. I thought it was an amazing handheld and couldn’t believe how vibrant the game looked on that thing. It was a great memory. Must have been right before 2007…But I agree, that would be a wonderful system to have in your pocket. I still have so many PS1 cds. The nostalgia overload would probably destroy me if there was a way to play them again

I sorta do wish that I had played this game handheld mode as well, using some great headphones. I’ll definitely be going for more handheld sessions with FFVII though, when it’s time to play. Playing handheld w/ FFIX is the way to go IMO

Tschumi

I still remember the first time I ever saw a Playstation Vita, it was my friend’s and he modded it to play Nintendo games. Played it in first period class when we were freshmen in hs. He was playing DKC: Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble during a morning party we had earned nearing the holidays. I thought it was an amazing handheld and couldn’t believe how vibrant the game looked on that thing. It was a great memory. Must have been right before 2007…But I agree, that would be a wonderful system to have in your pocket. I still have so many PS1 cds. The nostalgia overload would probably destroy me if there was a way to play them again

I sorta do wish that I had played this game handheld mode as well, using some great headphones. I’ll definitely be going for more handheld sessions with FFVII though, when it’s time to play. Playing handheld w/ FFIX is the way to go IMO
i reckon ur buddy was playing on a psp, circa 2006.. the vita is the next gen, and it lets you sharpen the graphics a bit and tweak the colours... so you can play any vita, psp, ps1 game and n64, among much else.. pretty great to switch between an uncharted game, metal gear solid peace walker and spyro or vagrant story lol...

actually i just found this video for this post but i think i'll grab this daedelus thing, seems to work alright

fun fact, vagrant story is only 93 MB, which is puny compared to other games, because the cinematics are all in-engine

Last edited:
Top Bottom