• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Final Fantasy IX

Cutty Flam

Banned
It fought two monsters at the Knight House and there were no more. I wonder if the others load up if I leave Treno and come back.
There are at least three to fight, but I was unable to defeat the third or second monster so am not sure about how many the shop will allow your crew to fight for prizes

Cutty Flam

Banned
I think there are more than three, there’s a hefty amount of missable content in FFIX it felt like to me. The world is expansive and filled with secrets, many of which I couldn’t find or solve

Krathoon

Yeah. I have been buying stuff at the auction house. I got the Griffon's Heart and Une's Mirror and sold them. I also got Dark Matter so I can summon Odin.

Now, I need to go and build up some more cash. There is this spot I can kill dragons with level 5 Death.

Narasumas

Yeah. I have been buying stuff at the auction house. I got the Griffon's Heart and Une's Mirror and sold them. I also got Dark Matter so I can summon Odin.

Now, I need to go and build up some more cash. There is this spot I can kill dragons with level 5 Death.
Go to Gizamaluke’s Grotto again and find the small storage room with the moogles and a ladder leading up. It’s maybe 3/4 through the map. The moogle will warn you that it’s dangerous outside. Once on the other side you’ll be on a mountain top where you can spawn really powerful dragons that are great for late game leveling up and farming.

Krathoon

Go to Gizamaluke’s Grotto again and find the small storage room with the moogles and a ladder leading up. It’s maybe 3/4 through the map. The moogle will warn you that it’s dangerous outside. Once on the other side you’ll be on a mountain top where you can spawn really powerful dragons that are great for late game leveling up and farming.
The spot just outside of Daguerreo is also good for leveling.

Krathoon

Here is the IGN advice for the Grotto dragons.
" Before the battle starts make sure Quina only as 1 HP left, also make sure that every character as the antibody ability equipped and that at least Quina as the insomniac ability equipped as well. Don't forget to also have a character equipped with the Coral Ring so that he/she can absorb thundaga.

Now that you are ready walk around until you encounter a Grand Dragon. Start by having Quina cast Night on it so that it falls a sleep, then use limit glove to cause 9,999 damage per turn. Don't bother attacking with the other characters simply use them to revive any fallen character. Two limit gloves are enough to defeat a Grand Dragon just make sure that Quina as only 1 HP left.

You can also battle a Garuda in the forest at Popos Heights, eat him, and Quina will learn the Blue Magic White Wind that way he/she can work as your white mage. "

Cutty Flam

Banned
I fought the dragons and it turns out that you can just use level 5 death on them. Much easier.
Level 5 Death sounds like the ultimate trump card for a lot of the enemies.Can't even remember if I used that move more than a few times or so, but I also underestimated Quina greatly
Really, the game world is kind of small.
To the player it might seem so, but for my playthrough I was immersed fully most game sessions and sort of imagining the world through then lens of the characters and how they might be experiencing it. It's the boat and then the airship that may kind of trick the player into thinking it's small, but if you add up all the areas in the game it’s a lot of land to cover. The flight from Alexandria to the Evil Forrest to the trek to South Gate, North Gate, Dali made me think the world was going to enormous
It wasn’t until the crew gained assess to Cid’s work that the map seemed small

Krathoon

I flew around and did some side questing. Then, I went to Ipsen's Castle. The red headed guy beat me to the seal and left the group. I fought the boss monster. Then I ran into some Tonnberries and they killed three of my party members.
Are Tonnberrries undead? Seems like there has to be a trick to killing them.
I used the save state on my emulator because I had to quit real quick. That is why emulators are handy.

Krathoon

I beat the Earth Shrine Fiend. I had Quina eat him. Tastes Bad. I forgot to steal from him. I went back to exploring Ipsen's Castle.

To beat the Fiend, use Quina to cast Mighty Gaurd. Use White Wind to heal. It is funny how the game expects you to have some Blue Magic. You only have Quina and Zidane for the fight.

Cutty Flam

Banned
That takes a decent amount of skill and timing to pull off. I developed a habit of not taking risks in FFIX so it was a rare occasion whenever I would manage to get Quina to consume an enemy

Reading through some of the posts on this thread makes me want to replay this game. It's been at least 15 years since I've played it and I think it's time.

To me, FF9 was the last FF game that had "heart". It captured the magic of modern (at the time) Final Fantasy while merging it with what made the 8 and 16 bit titles so special. FF10 is a great game, no doubt, but there's something missing that was there in 9.

Krathoon

I wanted to explore Ipsen's Castle before going to Shimmering Isles. I made a save. I don't know if I should try to do all of Chocobo hot and cold. I kind of just want to finish the game. Dagger and Eiko really need to be leveled up. I need to get their summons.

Krathoon

I think the Shimmering Isles is not a point of no return. It kind of seems like it though.

I think I made it through that part the last time I played and then I quit. I remember finding out a secret about Zidane and he gets really down about it

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I think the Shimmering Isles is not a point of no return. It kind of seems like it though.

I think I made it through that part the last time I played and then I quit. I remember finding out a secret about Zidane and he gets really down about it

The point of no return is just before the final boss. Prior to the final boss you can always go back.

Reading through some of the posts on this thread makes me want to replay this game. It's been at least 15 years since I've played it and I think it's time.

To me, FF9 was the last FF game that had "heart". It captured the magic of modern (at the time) Final Fantasy while merging it with what made the 8 and 16 bit titles so special. FF10 is a great game, no doubt, but there's something missing that was there in 9.

I have to disagree, FFX was the last of the PS1 style FF games and I thought it had just as much heart even if some of it was behind the bad voice acting. The only thing I found missing was an overworld, it felt a lot more linear - though this is how FF7 to FF9 played out anyway.

Krathoon

I got to the Silver Dragon and it wiped my party. It seems like I need to use reflect or something. The game throws three bosses at you in a row.
I looked at a walkthrough and they really pile on the bosses at the end.
Good thing I am playing this in an emulator. I can save state.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Weren’t there some suspicions one Moogle had about another? Can’t help but feel like I missed something significant in that sidequest…

Krathoon

There are two Moogles on Terra. One didn't seem to know what was going on. The other one is at the end of the maze right before the bosses.
The one at the maze is pretty convenient since you have to figure out the maze to get all the chests. Pandemonium is more of a small puzzle dungeon.
I didn't know the monsters on Terra like inflicting virus and that stops you from gaining XP. I did not get any Vaccines. The Moogles have shops, they might have them.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
How timely, I booted up the PSP yesterday and was determined to play an old JRPG. Tried Xenogears but just wasn't feeling it. Tried the PSX version of FF6 but the music is different and no, just not having that.

Went with FF9 and yea, I'm really digging this game. Beautiful graphics, great music. Having a lot of fun with it so far.

Krathoon

Some of these sidequests are kind of obtuse. They would have been a pain to figure out. I have been glancing at a walkthrough here and there. The auction house and the coins are probably the hardest ones. There have been lots of stuff I figured out through experimenting. Also, use select allot to get descriptions of things.
They really should have had a list to show you what coins are missing.
It is a shame that this game does not have a really good strategy guide. It had one that was partially on a website that shut down.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Just got chills listening to The Place I'll Return to Someday while thinking about the characters in FFIX

They say a picture says 1,000 words but this track goes beyond what words can do for a story

Can't say it enough, Final Fantasy IX is a masterpiece

I am truly glad you enjoyed it! Place To Call Home Melodies of Life is my single most favorite song in any video game. Though FFXIV's Flow and FFVI's Grand Finale Aria de Mezzo Carattere are very close follow ups.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm in the Ice Cavern. Did about 90 minutes of grinding outside the Evil Forest while reading through this thread.

Nice to know that Krathoon Krathoon also takes forever to beat JRPGs. I have no clue if I'll ever finish this game but I'm enjoying it. It helps having it on my PSPgo, love being able to suspend the game. Currently have it hooked up to the Trinitron but plan on continuing the quest in bed.

I read that enemies don't level up with you like they do in FF8, thank God. I pretty much hard locked myself in that game back when it first released and never went back to it. Truth be told, I never really liked FF8, too many edge lord characters and I didn't know enough as a kid to take advantage of the draw system. I was playing it like I would FF6 & 7. I'm really enjoying the style of FF9 though the OST is a bit underwhelming so far.

Also, this is essentially my first time playing FF9, I didn't play it when it released, had already moved on to the PS2 or something else and FF8 really soured my outlook on the FF series back then. Bought the PSN copy years ago on the PS3 but only played a bit. It's nice to be playing an old school JRPG again, these games were my bread and butter as a kid. Don't play them too much anymore but I love turn based ATB battle systems, makes me feel at home.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
The music gelled with me more while playing in bed last night, got some nice head phones for Christmas and was really digging the battle theme on them.

The battles are insanely slow but they're still fun, Vivi is an effing beast with his fire spell and I love stealing with Zidane. Made it through the Ice Cavern and am now at a village.

Back on music, my favorite track so far is the one where moogles explain stuff to you (Qu's Marsh), I was going through the menus just to hear the track played out. It incorporates some really cool chip tune melodies and really harkens back to the NES era of FF. The hook of the song kicks in around the 1 minute mark.

Last edited:

RanoNL

I want to replay it (for the fifth time or so). But I’m either going to buy a PC to play it with the Moguri mod. Or I’m waiting for the remake that was leaked. But what kind of remake do we get? Is it like the Moguri mod? Or is it a remake like FFVII:R?

Top Bottom