• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Final Fantasy IX

fart town usa

Gold Member
I want to replay it (for the fifth time or so). But I’m either going to buy a PC to play it with the Moguri mod. Or I’m waiting for the remake that was leaked. But what kind of remake do we get? Is it like the Moguri mod? Or is it a remake like FFVII:R?
Nice, I'm guessing you're super familiar with the game then.

Any advice? I don't plan on doing all the side quests, kinda just want to power through it but should I be concerned about anything that shouldn't be overlooked? I'd hate to put like 50 hours into it and then get hard locked cause I missed out on a random spell or something like that.

Narasumas

The music gelled with me more while playing in bed last night, got some nice head phones for Christmas and was really digging the battle theme on them.

The battles are insanely slow but they're still fun, Vivi is an effing beast with his fire spell and I love stealing with Zidane. Made it through the Ice Cavern and am now at a village.

Back on music, my favorite track so far is the one where moogles explain stuff to you (Qu's Marsh), I was going through the menus just to hear the track played out. It incorporates some really cool chip tune melodies and really harkens back to the NES era of FF. The hook of the song kicks in around the 1 minute mark.

Glad you’re liking it so far. Sounds like you just made it to Dali— quaint little village with a great, simple piano track.

I can’t believe I’m not the only one who loves the Qu Marsh theme!! There’s a group called Material Collective who did a great remix/tribute album for Final Fantasy IX- it’s called “Eidolon: Music from Final Fantasy IX”. One of my favorite tracks is the marsh remix. Thought I’d share with you below. Cheers.

Mysteries of the Marsh

Last edited:

Narasumas

Nice, I'm guessing you're super familiar with the game then.

Any advice? I don't plan on doing all the side quests, kinda just want to power through it but should I be concerned about anything that shouldn't be overlooked? I'd hate to put like 50 hours into it and then get hard locked cause I missed out on a random spell or something like that.
There’s quite a few “missables” in FFIX…but struggling to remember at the moment some of the key ones. Google Morrid’s Coffee Quest since you’re in Dali now…that one is def missable up to a point (end of disc 3?) and you can initiate it now I think. Also the big side quest you should try to keep up with is the Moogle/Mognet Central side quest. If you have time, venture into your first chocobo forest a little later into the story. There’s an entire long-running side quest devoted to the yellow guys and it gives STUPID GOOD rewards, gear and items.

General advice- Watch all of the ATE’s. You don’t have to…but they are awesome, sometimes funny, and give a lot of background context. Enjoy the ride, take it slow and enjoy the humor and story. Still my fav characters and world building in Final Fantasy to this day. Also check random corners of locations for general exclamation mark “pickups”. Also, it’s not near as good as Triple Triad (card game from VIII) but Tetra Master can be frustrating, but fun if you get into it. There’s a small mandatory portion of card playing later in the game, but you can “fail” at it and still progress…though it benefits you to win the card games in this section.

fart town usa

Gold Member
There’s quite a few “missables” in FFIX…but struggling to remember at the moment some of the key ones. Google Morrid’s Coffee Quest since you’re in Dali now…that one is def missable up to a point (end of disc 3?) and you can initiate it now I think. Also the big side quest you should try to keep up with is the Moogle/Mognet Central side quest. If you have time, venture into your first chocobo forest a little later into the story. There’s an entire long-running side quest devoted to the yellow guys and it gives STUPID GOOD rewards, gear and items.

General advice- Watch all of the ATE’s. You don’t have to…but they are awesome, sometimes funny, and give a lot of background context. Enjoy the ride, take it slow and enjoy the humor and story. Still my fav characters and world building in Final Fantasy to this day. Also check random corners of locations for general exclamation mark “pickups”. Also, it’s not near as good as Triple Triad (card game from VIII) but Tetra Master can be frustrating, but fun if you get into it. There’s a small mandatory portion of card playing later in the game, but you can “fail” at it and still progress…though it benefits you to win the card games in this section.
Appreciate it. I'm at the Black Waltz fight outside Dali right now but had to suspend it cause lunch is over. I did activate the coffee quest though.

I definitely plan on using a guide at various points, the game is long enough as it is and while I will definitely take my time with it, I hate wandering around aimlessly in JRPGs. If I'm not grinding, I want to be making forward progress.

Narasumas

I don't think we'll see the same budget as FFVII:R. But it should be more substantial than the moguri mod to qualify as a remake.
If I recall they were also planning some kind of anime or animation of FFIX too? Hoping that means they are going to give the game the justice it deserves.

If I recall they were also planning some kind of anime or animation of FFIX too? Hoping that means they are going to give the game the justice it deserves.
I believe the anime was proposed and shall be made by a French animation studio. But I suppose all their creative decisions are still subject to Squenix approval.

I hope they contract Sakaguchi's team to make it, if not to collaborate at least, and give it a triple A budget

fart town usa

Gold Member
Stealing things is super addicting in this game. I rarely attack with the main guy. Can't remember what his default name is, I changed it to the name of my dog, Vivi too, he's my younger pup and it's so damn cute cause their dynamic is identical to how they interact in real life. Big bro/little bro dynamic.

Made it to Lindblum, or whatever it's called. That CG scene with the airship racing through the gate was pretty awesome. Curious where the story is heading but I'm ready for some more info as to what is going on. Keeps stringing me along but I want more dammit! lol.

Narasumas

Stealing things is super addicting in this game. I rarely attack with the main guy. Can't remember what his default name is, I changed it to the name of my dog, Vivi too, he's my younger pup and it's so damn cute cause their dynamic is identical to how they interact in real life. Big bro/little bro dynamic.

Made it to Lindblum, or whatever it's called. That CG scene with the airship racing through the gate was pretty awesome. Curious where the story is heading but I'm ready for some more info as to what is going on. Keeps stringing me along but I want more dammit! lol.
Lindblum is awesome—it’s steampunk 101 basically. Eat some Gyshal Greens or some street pickles while you’re there :)

Main character is named Zidane.

You’re at a point where the narrative will start to pick up and you’ll quickly be meeting some new faces and potentially some new party members.

Also you can check in on your old house/hideout while your there. The Tantalus group’s hideout is over in the theatre district.

Last nugget is that stealing is a great way to get weapons/armor/items that you normally wouldn’t see at that point in the game—especially from boss fights. Some bosses have a “common” steal and a “rare” steal. It can be frustrating to steal something you really want based on the success rate, but man is it gratifying when you get it.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Made it outside of Lindblum and just entered the Grotto. Looked at a FAQ though and realized I missed a character in Qu's Marsh. Will have to go back and get them. I don't have a healer in my party right now and the enemies are quite brutal. I've been doing a good amount of grinding so the fact that enemies are this tough is pretty refreshing. Keeps me on my toes in battle.

I think it's hilarious that Cid cheated on his wife and then she turned him into an Oglop and stole their best airship, lmao. This game has some interesting dialogue, main character always trying to pick up girls and stuff, lol.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Short hair >>>>>>> long hair

ffix.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
I named her Tifa in my game.

Krathoon

I also screwed up and cast reflect on Kuja. I had to wait for it to wear off. Fortunately, I could cast summons.
Zidane kept dying like crazy. I guess I need to get auto-regen on him somehow.
The game automatically puts you on the airship on Disc 4. I wanted to explore Black Mage Village.
I will sidequest for a little bit.

Last edited:

Krathoon

The game tries to rush you towards the ending. It is kind of irritating.
I think I am at the point I was at long ago.
It is all like, "Quick, go to the Iifa Tree!".

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm still in the grotto cause I was level grinding near the South Gate for about 2 hours. Ended up getting that character from the marsh and a chocobo.

Only complaint so far are the character names. Just not a fan of anything that has come my way. Minor complaint that doesn't affect the game at all but just really weird name decisions that I just don't really care for.

Krathoon

Freya is really handy because she can jump attack and not get hit. She works great on bosses.
Is there a way to see the monster's name at all times? I really need to use Scan all the time.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I want to add too that I'm playing the game on a PSPgo hooked up to my Trinitron via the component cables. From what I've read, PSPgo outputs 240p for PSX games so it's essentially like playing on the actual hardware. PS3 outputs them at 480i.

Game is effing gorgeous, tempted to capture some footage.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Damn, that looks great
Thanks, I love the device. It allows for direct plug in of RCA/S-Video/Component though it only captures up to 480i. It's from like 2003 I think, lmao. Had to buy like 5 of them off ebay to find one that worked reliably.

It looks better on the TV, the device captures things darker than they should be and doesn't have as wide of color spectrum as it should but I tweak the settings to get it as close as possible to what my TV is showing. It'd also look better if I captured it lossless but the file size would be huge and I have aDSL, upload speeds are painfully slow, lol.

Narasumas

God, all of these anecdotes of playthroughs by fart town and Krathoon have me itching to go back for another run.

…I’m balancing whether I should wait to see what Square is going to do off the heels of the planned anime and remake Geoforce rumor.

fart town usa

Gold Member
God, all of these anecdotes of playthroughs by fart town and Krathoon have me itching to go back for another run.

…I’m balancing whether I should wait to see what Square is going to do off the heels of the planned anime and remake Geoforce rumor.
The replies from you and others who have played the game are definitely motivating.

Kinda feels like a group effort, lol.

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Ebidramon

Banned
Last week I replayed it until the part when you leave the Ice Cavern, and get out on the world map.

This time I trained characters until they mastered every ability available at the moment before moving on.
Repetitive in good way, relaxing, rewarding, and just about enough to feel powerful against bosses.

Also, bosses in this game have really useful items to steal.

I will probably use the same approach once I decide to replay the game in entirety.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Last week I replayed it until the part when you leave the Ice Cavern, and get out on the world map.

This time I trained characters until they mastered every ability available at the moment before moving on.
Repetitive in good way, relaxing, rewarding, and just about enough to feel powerful against bosses.

Also, bosses in this game have really useful items to steal.

I will probably use the same approach once I decide to replay the game in entirety.
That's how I'm playing this game and pretty much every JRPG in general. I mentioned it earlier but that's what screwed me in FF8, ha. Had no idea the enemies level up with you.

Monokrom

It still boggles my mind this doesn’t play on ps4/5. Drives me nuts.
Sure it does. It is even included in PS Now (along with FFVII, FFVIII and FFX/X-2).

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Sure it does. It even is included in PS Now.
I didn’t know that! Thanks! Better than nothing. I’d run it on my ps3 but I don’t have a working controller

Krathoon

FFX is a very PS2 game. The animations are kind of stiff. It seems like they used motion capture on the cutscenes. The scripting is a little twitchy. Really, it feels a little worse than FF9. They use allot of motion blur.

Top Bottom