• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Final Fantasy IX

Cutty Flam

Banned

The vast world calling out to Princess Garnet

L7XyDD.gif

The directing is stunning and I love the intro more than what words will do for me. The entire intro is magnificent, but It was an especially moving moment for me when I saw that Vivi had stopped in his tracks, looked behind him and up above to discover the flying vessel, completely in awe

P72Dr2.gif

^^That is a moment I will never forget in gaming. And it may only be the beginning, but it spoke volumes to me. There is great subtlety to Vivi's character, and I appreciate what was conveyed in that scene

Vivi meets that rough alley rat friend of his that he made out of nowhere, just two boys down on their luck with nothing else but themselves and their lives to live. Vivi's young friend has a plan and decides to walk on dangerously placed boards of wood across the many rooftops of Alexandria in order to arrive at and gain entry into the play, I Want To Be Your Canary, without tickets; the play meant for the nobles of Alexandria essentially. I loved that moment too. When they got there just as the play was about to begin and took their places standing behind the seated audience, home free, and gave each other those meaningful glances like "We're here, we got in" ...man that was glorious. Love that cutscene

The card game is going to take some getting used to, I played twice and lost a couple cards. Still don't all the way understand the rules so I might end up losing a few more cards in the name of learning the game and trying to see what to look for in order to win. Something tells me that I need to collect better cards for a while then come back to the starting area and hustle everyone in town. Hippaul is probably the Ash Ketchum of Alexandria, so I'll challenge him last, takes his cards and headbutt him right on the nostril for good measure

I'm now running around as Steiner to look for Princess Garnet. I also briefly interacted with the odd looking Chef as well in the kitchen, but that character was only directing his chefs. Not too sure what the Chef is about but I am very much intrigued to find out what kind of character develops there. And that was the end of the two hours played

This is my first ever LTTP thread, so I would like to dedicate it to Monkey D. Luffy, Roronoa Zoro, Tony Tony Chopper, Usopp, Chef Zeff, Karoo, Fire Fist Ace, Johnny and Yosaku, Shanks, and to my little sisters, Mozu and Kiwi

This thread is a celebration of FFIX

nxM4mp.gif

Fushitsusha

Banned
Just the main menu alone with the track playing still gives me goose skin, they don't make them like this anymore. It's safe to say you will like the whole game, the pacing is excellent and it doesn't lose steam. It's one of those rare games that has tons of quality along with the quantity, not lacking content by any means and still not much filler, it's unbelievable really. 4 discs of amazingly inspiring locations and soundtrack with a complete package that belongs in a museum and I just know you will appreciate every single one in some form.

Did you manage to impress the queen and how many times did you replay that minigame?

Last edited:

VanEs

I also replayed FFIX earlier this year. Such a wonderful game. Great locations, characters and story. Squaresoft’s swan song of the psx generation. And for me, unfortunately, the last truly great FF game before the decline (FFX was still good despite some shortcomings).

If you only played two hours yet, well, you’re in for a great (long) treat.

Fushitsusha

Banned
This is my first ever LTTP thread, so I would like to dedicate it to Monkey D. Luffy, Roronoa Zoro, Tony Tony Chopper, Usopp, Chef Zeff, Karoo, Fire Fist Ace, Johnny and Yosaku, Shanks, and to my little sisters, Mozu and Kiwi
You totally got to name the characters after One Piece some time :messenger_tears_of_joy:. Switch Remaster along with the original PSX release is the only ones that let's you name the characters.

Reminder that I have some questions about the Switch release later!

Fushitsusha

Banned
The card game is going to take some getting used to, I played twice and lost a couple cards. Still don't all the way understand the rules so I might end up losing a few more cards in the name of learning the game and trying to see what to look for in order to win. Something tells me that I need to collect better cards for a while then come back to the starting area and hustle everyone in town. Hippaul is probably the Ash Ketchum of Alexandria, so I'll challenge him last, takes his cards and headbutt him right on the nostril for good measure
Did you ever meet the elusive Alleyway Jack? Easy to miss. Legends say some FFIX haters view him as the best thing about the game.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I love IX. I wouldn't consider it my favorite Final Fantasy, but it's up there. And I do indeed love Kuja - he's one of my favorite villains. Heck, the whole cast is one of my favorites (save Amarant).

There are lots of thing I love about it, but none more so than the characters. They're the best thing about the game, for me. For example, the quartet of Zidane, Garnet, Vivi and Steiner is my favorite collective party from any Final Fantasy game. The other four main characters all have something going for them as well, though I'm not really fond of Amarant. The NPCs are so colorful and the villains are so believable. Adding them all together produces a world (or even two worlds) filled with people (and non-people) I care about. And, as has already been mentioned, so many of them go through incredible changes and develop as characters in the course of the game.

As far as Garland is concerned, lol

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Cutty Flam Cutty Flam the card game is absurd. Good luck trying to completely figure it out, but even if you do there is a lot of random stuff going on. I got to the point where I basically just used the arrows and didn’t worry about the numbers and letters, and I got by just fine. Almost collected all the cards too.

But yes your am assumption is correct that you need to collect a bunch of cards first, before you start playing. You’ll also have to be willing to lose a few shitty ones to gain a new one. Good thing is those first 2 or 3 rows of cards are easy to acquire throughout the game, so you can lose them left and right and it’s no big deal because they are everywhere.

I also replayed FFIX earlier this year and it was amaaaaazing. Enjoy and don’t sleep on the side quests! They offer a lot of fun and useful items. Also, make sure you use the speed up character option for the chocobo mini game, it’s excruciatingly long if you don’t.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I could never play through FFIX twice on the PS1 because the game is slooooooowwwwwww and the grind for AP and Chocobo pictures is horrendous. Must literally be 50 hours just dedicated to that, and the plot is pretty expansive as it is. Thank God for the speed-up “cheat” in the modern version.

It has some of the best characters ever, but Amarant is completely useless from a narrative standpoint. He adds literally nothing to the story, save for a few one-liners that could be given to a better character and that are far from the game’s best anyway. Amarant has no place in a game where Eiko and Vivi steal the scene with their every line.

I replayed the game last year but I still don’t really understand the relationship between Vivi and the other black mages. It’s the only thing I didn’t really get in a plot that’s otherwise quite straightforward, far from the convoluted mess of FF8 or FF7 with all its subplots and hidden scenes.

Fushitsusha

Banned
How is the Steam version. i know 8 on steam was criticized as tehy tried to do some half hearted remaster.
Great, especially with the Moguri Mod (reworked version). It's like this mod for REmake that uses artificial intelligence to upscale the backgrounds. It's not fully stable but definitely playable.

Comparison_04.png

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Great, especially with the Moguri Mod (reworked version). It's like this mod for REmake that uses artificial intelligence to upscale the backgrounds. It's not fully stable but definitely playable.

Comparison_04.png

I thought Capcom already upscaled the backgrounds using "AI" when they rereleased it as the HD version? Is this a fan attempt to do that to the OG non-HD release (I thought it was only on Gamecube before the HD rerelease) thats using more modern techniques? Or they are upscaling the already upscaled BGs again to clean them up?

The former I can get behind but the latter will be like trying to restore a painting but you only have access to a poor copy of it.

Fushitsusha

Banned
I thought Capcom already upscaled the backgrounds using "AI" when they rereleased it as the HD version? Is this a fan attempt to do that to the OG non-HD release (I thought it was only on Gamecube before the HD rerelease) thats using more modern techniques? Or they are upscaling the already upscaled BGs again to clean them up?

The former I can get behind but the latter will be like trying to restore a painting but you only have access to a poor copy of it.
Yes, both Capcom and this is for the most part AI upscaled. As far as I'm aware this one does it from the Gamecube original and I would say the results are better as there is more time and passion involved.

Zero had its native backgrounds intact, that's why it looks so much better remastered.

Last edited:
Best FF in my book. As a kid playing this game, the characters felt like they were my real friends and I was part of the gang.

It so happen that the game's theme is friendship and meaning of life. Vivi's last words when the game ended was so heartbreaking.

When the game ended, it felt like I had to say goodbye to my friends. Our adventure, our treasure-hunting, and our journey together ended sooner than I would like. As a kid I couldn't take it. I cried a lot. And I still remember that feeling to this day.

I'm replaying this game right now. I'm so happy to see my childhood friends again.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I've been playing through it for a second time on my phone. The android version is actually well done. The game is not interesting and the characters are so flat/poorly written, it's become a chore. The only FF that I couldn't bring myself to complete twice from this era.
TL02qgn.png

One funny thing I didn't notice from the ps1 days was how Garnet's hair rests between her butt cheeks.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Just the main menu alone with the track playing still gives me goose skin, they don't make them like this anymore. It's safe to say you will like the whole game, the pacing is excellent and it doesn't lose steam. It's one of those rare games that has tons of quality along with the quantity, not lacking content by any means and still not much filler, it's unbelievable really. 4 discs of amazingly inspiring locations and soundtrack with a complete package that belongs in a museum and I just know you will appreciate every single one in some form.

Did you manage to impress the queen and how many times did you replay that minigame?
I know what you mean, the main menu track is one of a kind. It sounds to me like Nintendo EAD might have taken a page from the OST there when they opened up with The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, which came out about three years after FFIX. Square Enix must have had a legendary team to create four discs worth of content, that's unheard of. But right from the very beginning, Hiroyuki Itou's vision says it all. Judging only by the opening, you can tell the developers were on a mission; completely at the top of their game

That's a fun minigame, I think I re-tried like 8-10 times and ended up putting on a show for only 79/100 of the audience to enjoy, and the Queen wasn't impressed. Later I found out that if the Queen likes the performance then you can earn 10,000 Gil but my best only earned me 586 Gil. Tried to ransack everything in the royal castle in retaliation. I was also gonna raid the head Chef's fridge and cook up a buttermilk molotov, throwing it in the Queen's face before escaping with the princess but the Chef didn't have ingredients to spare. I was so pissed when I found out I had missed out on 10,000 Gil lol. I've put in 8 hrs and right now I have 9.3k Gil
You gonna cheat, Cutty Flam Cutty Flam ?
Lol I saw those options at the bottom. Something about mastering all abilities / 999,999 Gil / all battles are fought on auto pilot. This was my reaction when I saw that

4ee8964b48e29fcd45c2dadf00f1afb8.gif
You totally got to name the characters after One Piece some time :messenger_tears_of_joy:. Switch Remaster along with the original PSX release is the only ones that let's you name the characters.

Reminder that I have some questions about the Switch release later!
Was actually about to today because I thought Dagger was going to be terrible but then I thought for a moment and said naw I gotta trust the greatness. There's probably more to this name. I bet you'll never guess which One Piece character I was about to name Garnet after, for her alias. Just for fun, it is a female character and she is an enemy of the Straw Hats and to any pirate really. She doesn't really remind me of Garnet but I like said character in One Piece, she has kind of a funny, more so amusing repetitive mannerism as so many characters in OP will have
Did you ever meet the elusive Alleyway Jack? Easy to miss. Legends say some FFIX haters view him as the best thing about the game.
I think I did, was it Blank? He taught me about the card game and went by Alleyway Jack. But I'm not sure if I messed that sequence up, I'm sure there was more to Alleyway Jack but for some reason I didn't talk to Blank more than once after the cards tutorial. I should have, feels like something was missed...
Cutty Flam Cutty Flam the card game is absurd. Good luck trying to completely figure it out, but even if you do there is a lot of random stuff going on. I got to the point where I basically just used the arrows and didn’t worry about the numbers and letters, and I got by just fine. Almost collected all the cards too.

But yes your am assumption is correct that you need to collect a bunch of cards first, before you start playing. You’ll also have to be willing to lose a few shitty ones to gain a new one. Good thing is those first 2 or 3 rows of cards are easy to acquire throughout the game, so you can lose them left and right and it’s no big deal because they are everywhere.

I also replayed FFIX earlier this year and it was amaaaaazing. Enjoy and don’t sleep on the side quests! They offer a lot of fun and useful items. Also, make sure you use the speed up character option for the chocobo mini game, it’s excruciatingly long if you don’t.
I won a match today, versus the shopkeeper that Garnet was trying to practice conversation with in the little village with a Windmill that Vivi took interest in. But I have gotten into a bad habit already of mashing attack button so after winning, I accidentally quickly tapped A and took some dirt Goblin card. Basically the equivalent of a Diglett card. It was a mistake. Thanks for the advice, I'm still trying to get a feel for this game, mainly the battle is the area that is proving to be the most challenging. It actually takes some discipline and thought. You have to go quickly to maximize beating your foes but at the same time you don't want to go to quickly and miss out on stealing at least one item, healing those in trouble before the match ends. I think I have gotten a little better this time and understand more, but it's hard to tell if I am maximizing the outcome of each battler. More practice will be the key. There's also an option to make it turn based but the Moogle said that was more for beginners. I like that time in battle is critical and cannot be taken for granted unless you wish to see the enemy take advantage of that time wasted
Best FF in my book. As a kid playing this game, the characters felt like they were my real friends and I was part of the gang.

It so happen that the game's theme is friendship and meaning of life. Vivi's last words when the game ended was so heartbreaking.

When the game ended, it felt like I had to say goodbye to my friends. Our adventure, our treasure-hunting, and our journey together ended sooner than I would like. As a kid I couldn't take it. I cried a lot. And I still remember that feeling to this day.

I'm replaying this game right now. I'm so happy to see my childhood friends again.
That's how the best of the best RPG games seem to go. After finishing Paper Mario (released same year as FFIX) I had to take a deep breath at the ending because it was a game you didn't want to end. Feels like you truly were a part of the quest. You become immersed and when it ends it hits you kinda hard. I can't wait to meet the entire crew in FFIX, I like Vivi the most, second favorite would have to be Garnet. I think right now, this is my preference among the characters I know. All of them are great. This is how I would rank them (I recently got past the Evil Forrest, past the Ice Cavern, and am now in the the Village of Dali)

1. Vivi 2. Garnet / now known as 'Dagger' 3. Zidane 4. Steiner

Fushitsusha

Banned
I know what you mean, the main menu track is one of a kind. It sounds to me like Nintendo EAD might have taken a page from the OST there when they opened up with The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, which came out about three years after FFIX. Square Enix must have had a legendary team to create four discs worth of content, that's unheard of. But right from the very beginning, Hiroyuki Itou's vision says it all. Judging only by the opening, you can tell the developers were on a mission; completely at the top of their game
IX definitely feels like the most Nintendo-like Final Fantasy.
That's a fun minigame, I think I re-tried like 8-10 times and ended up putting on a show for only 79/100 of the audience to enjoy, and the Queen wasn't impressed. Later I found out that if the Queen likes the performance then you can earn 10,000 Gil but my best only earned me 586 Gil. Tried to ransack everything in the royal castle in retaliation. I was also gonna raid the head Chef's fridge and cook up a buttermilk molotov, throwing it in the Queen's face before escaping with the princess but the Chef didn't have ingredients to spare. I was so pissed when I found out I had missed out on 10,000 Gil lol. I've put in 8 hrs and right now I have 9.3k Gil
More than gil ;) But no worries, that's more cool than infuriating. Missable content and secrets are what's missing in modern games. A replay with stuff you don't get on a first playthrough could be fun to aquire on a speedrun with all the cheats enabled lol.
Was actually about to today because I thought Dagger was going to be terrible but then I thought for a moment and said naw I gotta trust the greatness. There's probably more to this name. I bet you'll never guess which One Piece character I was about to name Garnet after, for her alias. Just for fun, it is a female character and she is an enemy of the Straw Hats and to any pirate really. She doesn't really remind me of Garnet but I like said character in One Piece, she has kind of a funny, more so amusing repetitive mannerism as so many characters in OP will have
Assuming she has been introduced within the 410 first episodes? I'm gonna think about this one :messenger_relieved:
I think I did, was it Blank? He taught me about the card game and went by Alleyway Jack. But I'm not sure if I messed that sequence up, I'm sure there was more to Alleyway Jack but for some reason I didn't talk to Blank more than once after the cards tutorial. I should have, feels like something was missed...
When stealing the ladder in the beginning you can meet Alleyway Jack. It's not Blank no. Tetra Master (the card game) is fairly easy to understand after a while, although it does involve luck and randomness. Mostly focus on the arrows (and less on numbers) is a good tactic, as it's not 100% skill-based. Also, while fun ultimately it's not so important, make of this information what you will. If you are enjoying Tetra Master then I think you will like Triple Triad (FF8) even more, it's considered on of the best minigames in all of Final Fantasy!
I won a match today, versus the shopkeeper that Garnet was trying to practice conversation with in the little village with a Windmill that Vivi took interest in. But I have gotten into a bad habit already of mashing attack button so after winning, I accidentally quickly tapped A and took some dirt Goblin card. Basically the equivalent of a Diglett card. It was a mistake. Thanks for the advice, I'm still trying to get a feel for this game, mainly the battle is the area that is proving to be the most challenging. It actually takes some discipline and thought. You have to go quickly to maximize beating your foes but at the same time you don't want to go to quickly and miss out on stealing at least one item, healing those in trouble before the match ends. I think I have gotten a little better this time and understand more, but it's hard to tell if I am maximizing the outcome of each battler. More practice will be the key. There's also an option to make it turn based but the Moogle said that was more for beginners. I like that time in battle is critical and cannot be taken for granted unless you wish to see the enemy take advantage of that time wasted
How challenging did you find Black Waltz in the Ice Cavern? If not so much then you should probably keep the Active Time Battle as is, and perhaps even consider adding it on "Fast" in the settings if you find it a bit slow later? Turning off that Camera Spin option in the settings is another way to reduce waiting time when battling/leveling.

Did you find all the good secret loot in the Ice Caverns?
Mage Masher for Zidane. Black Waltz goes down extra easy. Then again, Mage Masher can be stolen from Baku right in the beginning, so you might already had it.

"Lol I saw those options at the bottom. Something about mastering all abilities / 999,999 Gil / all battles are fought on auto pilot. This was my reaction when I saw that"

On PS4 and XBOX it disables achievements and throphies :messenger_smiling_horns:

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Fushitsusha Fushitsusha

I agree with that, the feeling of knowing there is so much content within the game that there is a high likelihood that you you will miss like ~10% or maybe even more of it, that is what makes these worlds so wonderful to explore. I haven't played a game like this since like 2003, so the entire experience is much appreciated and refreshing; to see creativity expressed in these ways through gaming. Which basically ensures ITT that I'll be rambling on for ages each time I get a chance to play lol. And the One Piece character I was thinking of naming Garnet after appears briefly within the span of 140-150 episodes. At least once there, and twice before the time skip

Blank seems like a sharp character. He nonchalantly took on the alias of Alleyway Jack and completely tricked me when I was playing as Vivi. I guess that's a testament to his great character, him being an actor and all...It sort of felt like he was just going flow so Vivi or anybody else around in the bar wouldn't question him though. He got me. But maybe there will be another chance to see Alleyway Jack, the real one, at some other time. Now I'm curious lol, judging by your last post he seems like he might be a character fans wouldn't want to miss out on meeting

Black Waltz killed me once, but I adapted well and came back to finish him off the next time. It's the later bosses that I figure will be the ones to start annihilating the crew despite best efforts going into the such battles. This game will probably be fine, I think, but I'm sure that there will be a Final Fantasy game that will have insane difficulty that requires so much skill and precision to come out alive in some of the more trying battles. I get the feeling that FFVI, FFX, and FFXIV will have the toughest battles. But going back to the ATB system, I put the battle speed at its highest (there are three levels, slow, medium, and fast) and I like the camera angles in battle even though they take up time so I'll keep them on for a ways. It allows the player to get different looks at the enemies and the protagonists so I'm sure it might come in handy at least once. If not, I like seeing what how the protagonists are moving during battle, at the very least haha. I think it can be a nice feature in future FF games; seeing certain movements in battle that the main characters might make use of. Oh yeah, in the ice Cavern I got that item, but I think I might have missed one treasure chest iirc, but the Mage Masher sounds familiar so I must have found it

And a personal question for anyone reading,

When or at what point in the game do you think you were truly amazed with FFIX?

That question mainly being for the fans who love this game and speak highly of it. A lot of people probably played this game within the span of a year or two after its release, so I'm curious to see how many loved the game from the very start, the middle, or maybe end of the game. Because sometimes a game doesn't hit you with that feeling of "Wow this game is truly something to behold" until it's over and a flash of emotion overcomes you. I imagine a lot of players who played FFIX when they were young might have had an experience like that

Kev Kev

When or at what point in the game do you think you were truly amazed with FFIX?
Spoiler warning: Some spoilers about chocobos... but nothing about the plot or ending or anything like that

I played it as a kid and loved it, but I didn’t do any of the chocobo stuff and therefore was really limited to how much I could travel the world until getting the airship.

I played again earlier this year and made sure to get the get all the chocobos and made the game soooo much more enjoyable. I explored every nook and cranny, found most of the hard to get weapons and items, and leveled up my characters in all of the areas with the best enemies, gained nearly all abilities for all my characters, collected a lot of cards, and more. I got so much more out of the game this time around.

I would say it was about the time that I got the chocobo that could climb mountains, which I guess is like halfway through the game, maybe 2/3 of the way through?

Man I had such a blast with it. My opinion on it is so much better now. I feel it is the most “Final Fantasy” final fantasy game, if that makes sense. Sort of like harkening back to pre PS era FF, and really giving that style an epic send off. The FF theme playing during the credits of FFIX is such a perfect ending. Great game. Enjoy it man and take your time combing through every area. It truly is the last of its kind :( Not sure we will ever get another FF quite like it, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom