• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Final Fantasy IX

Cutty Flam

Banned
I recently arrived at a very prominent place, Terra
This will probably be a place where much more of the story begins to unfold. There are still a lot of unanswered questions but Zidane ran into the being that Kuja fears. This area intrigues me the most because I want to learn about that airship that has caused so much destruction, about the "eye" that is on the bottom of it. As well as the character who Kuja has been plotting against all this time for ten entire years in the shadows. Now it's clear to me that Kuja had deduced that it was Zidane who might become troublesome later on, when he was speaking to himself at Burmecia. Vivi was my initial thought, but given that Zidane clearly has roots in Terra, he must be a powerful being as well. Since this is such an important place in the game, spending plenty of time here exploring and gathering information is likely what I'll do. Getting a strong feel for the area and what to prepare for in battle given the nature of the enemies. A huge war has to be near, Kuja is almost ready to attack and I know this powerful older dude is his target. It's just a matter of time now, this has to be the place where disc 3 will end. Probably a war in the heavens here at Terra. Cannot wait to see what takes place here

The library submerged in water was interesting to explore, I liked that place. There was a treasure hunter there with some amazing cards. I managed to get a perfect win over him in TetraMaster, wasn't expecting that kind of jackpot victory. That was a huge win. Going to go back to that place probably in disc 4 and ransack that fool for every card he has

When it comes to Chocobo treasure chest on the Chocograph I have 11/13 at this point. I need to find the one near the city where night never ends, which I know has to be Treno...but I've searched around that area for like 15 minutes in total with no luck. The other one might be in Terra I'm guessing, it was a different kind of chest that I couldn't access

I have the Robe of Lords equipped on Vivi, all those hours doing Chocobo Hot and Cold. I don't think I'll grind fro another one, I was going to try for a Protect Ring and see what that item is all about

Cutty Flam

Banned
This game is a beautiful masterpiece, through and through. It's beginning to hit me. Before even finishing disc three I am already reminiscing about all the times had playing through Final Fantasy IX and the all the moments the main characters have shared with each other and other NPCs; the NPCs living their lives and playing a part in ours

The story is being revealed in heavy ways to Zidane right now. Garland has managed to throw even Zidane off his game some, as this is all very disturbing information for Zidane it seems. The feeling of being in a place like Terra is indescribable for me at the moment. With so much going on, and what has been given was given all at once by Garland...it's a lot to process but it appears to be mostly the truth. Except I believe Garland is greatly underestimating life itself and its power

It's a good thing that the team is helping Zidane through this tough and troubling time, the situation feels very dire. This is Zidane's birthplace but it feels so off and completely opposite of home. Garland seems much worse than Kuja now. I initially thought he was something of a peacekeeper and ally at one point but it seems like he's been the true villain in this game the entire time. This game's story is incredible, I can go on and on. The many themes within FFIX is something I'd love to delve into deeply after completing

Kuja is actually in Terra right now. Which spells out much but I'll wait before commenting too much about anything else. All I can say is that he must have found a very powerful Eidolon recently, has something underneath his sleeve and is finally ready to strike. It wouldn't make sense to come here unless his preparations and plan is ready to execute. There's probably going to be a massive battle maybe even all out war here, with chaos like no other

Cutty Flam

Banned
This game is full of surprises. It’s unbelievable. At one point not so long ago we were playing as Vivi just trying to enjoy the day, trying to watch the show everyone in town was so excited about that evening...

And now the events and what they have done to the lives of everyone in this game are almost indescribable. You have to play it and experience it to know what everyone is going through. Man honestly this game might be more important than some semesters at school I’ve had. I wonder what would have happened if I had played FFIX in elementary

I wonder what would have happened if I had played FFIX in elementary

That happened to me. The philosophical narrative of the game, even at a young age, was understandable and it hits you.

One of the theme of the game is memories. How memories are important that we should not forget our past. Then the game ended. Now everything about the game becomes memories. Then the song "memories of life" started playing.

I really cried a lot as a kid. I had to say goodbye to my friends. Our adventure and story ended and it's now all memories.

Cutty Flam

Banned
That happened to me. The philosophical narrative of the game, even at a young age, was understandable and it hits you.

One of the theme of the game is memories. How memories are important that we should not forget our past. Then the game ended. Now everything about the game becomes memories. Then the song "memories of life" started playing.

I really cried a lot as a kid. I had to say goodbye to my friends. Our adventure and story ended and it's now all memories.
This game is highly emotional. I was speaking with a NPC earlier today that really made me think, a couple of NPCs actually. The entirety of Alexandria during Disc 3 could be almost overwhelming to me at times. At the end of my playthrough, I’d like to spend time thinking about everything and sharing certain things in the game here ITT and through other ones because this game can throw so much at the player so rapidly. In an instant. Sometimes you will experience something so radical and calamitous that hits the people of Gaia, that you barely understand in that moment what was lost, but then the shock begins to fade, and then it becomes clear just what was lost....

There have been several times now that Vivi has amazed me. He’s unforgettable. There is one theme that I relate to, and I think most will and have in the past, but I’ll probably save that for another day. This theme took place in the very beginning, and it strongly reminded me of how I felt sometimes. Vivi’s character brought me back to a moment in time that I probably would not have recalled without him...

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This was the last FF I really liked. I hated the story in X, didn't play XI, thought XII was OK, XIII was not terrible but not good enough to play the sequels. Played XIV for a month or so and couldn't handle the grinding MMO shit, and thought XV had a crappy story.

I hope they do a graphical remaster some day to spike my interest of a replay. Or I can get it for my kid to play.

mcjmetroid

I was late to this game as well and created a thread in it last year.

My only complaint as that it got a little too grindy for my taste. Used the in game cheats to beat it. But I really enjoyed it all the same.

Surprisingly really enjoyed the card game and the characters were fun. I just have a lovely time thinning about the game, good memories. I can only imagine playing it back in the day.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Surprisingly really enjoyed the card game and the characters were fun
Agreed. The card game takes me back to the mid 90s when everyone was collecting Pokémon cards. It’s a great feature to take a break from the task at hand and play a game of cards. Sometimes the characters will say something hilarious right before too

VXLHCIm.jpg

^^I asked this dude to play some TetraMaster one time pretty funny stuff

Cutty Flam

Banned
Meeting Eiko at Madain Sari was definitely a highlight. I like what takes place there and after. In general that place is special. Still have some time before this game is finished (although it feels close) but I wonder if there will be another lengthy cutscene explaining more detail about Madain Sari’s history

I’ll be curious to hear all about your thoughts on the second half of the game, Krathoon Krathoon

Same with you mcjmetroid mcjmetroid . I’ll have plenty to ask you and many others if answers are available after finishing the game I’m sure, especially since you recently played. The real discussions begin after the playthrough; when the big picture is clear and everything hits. There are so many questions this story creates. I wonder about the Black Mages among others a lot. In general, this game reminds me a lot of Majora’s Mask in the way that it stimulates the player in such a way that you’re playing the game and in the game immersed, but there are moments that make you take a step back and really think. Choices and life and stuff. It’s just a really powerful game like that

Krathoon

I notice my emulator, Duckstation, kept the same controller settings between the two controllers I used. Weird. I used an PS4 controller and an Xbox One controller. I thought it would have to set it up again.

Cutty Flam

Banned
It doesn’t matter how many times I replay the game, watch thr cutscenea, or even read it via screenshots. This moment is the single most touching moment in media for me.
I’m still very much speechless. There’s so much I want to say but it might take a little time before being ready to discuss the ending in full. It was that powerful to me. It had much more of an impact than I could imagine. And I’ve seen some touching endings. Yesterday I was holding back tears during every stretch of my day, even when there were others around. The beauty of life is taught, in ways you would never learn quite the same until you’ve played FFIX

This is a game that I will never forget.

TheContact

I liked ff9 but it takes some appreciation of the franchise to fully get into it. It’s definitely the most polished FF on the psx given it was the last FF on the console, but despite the slow battle system, it’s a great game even if it isn’t one of my top FF games.

5Q5J25b.png

rfHoF16.png
pZAE7vs.png
ItVHaDG.png
671B6aZ.png
MnBqIPr.png
Jj6d6b0.png
NWtW98Q.png
gUNgur3.png

This game... I am speechless

Reading that monologue again gives me goosebumps.

When I finished the game as a kid I didn't realize that it was
Vivi saying his last goodbye, and that he already expired.

It was actually years later when I read somewhere in the internet that it was his last words.

But even if I didn't realize it was him the first time, it still got me crying. It was so heart-breaking and as a kid it was one of most memorable moments in my life.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The very last lines between

Garnet and Zidane

I had completely forgotten, and they touched me deeply the last time I replayed the game.

Last edited:

StevieWhite

FF IX's ending gets me every time. Even when I play it again. There really isn't a more touching moment in video games.

Only thing that comes close to getting me that much is the MGS3 ending.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The last 2:15 of the Japanese version where it goes strictly instrumental is so amazing

Melodies of Life (Japanese version, English Traslantion)

I was wandering aimlessly
I kept searching, though I had no clues
Make the memories you gave me
Into a song to heal my heart

Without making promises
Without deciding what words to say
You held me, and then I was certain
We could never go back to those days

You, waving your hand in my memories
Can you call my name?

Turn those overflowing tears
Into glittering courage
Life goes on
Across the night
And continues to a certain tomorrow

How many memories were entrusted
To the sky beyond the flying birds?
Short-lived hopes and dreams
Are forgotten in an unreachable place

Can you say our meeting was coincidence?
Even though the time will surely come when we part

Even though fate is fleeting
As long as you live
Life goes on
Eternally
To anywhere, as long as you're strong

Though I may die
As long as you live
Life goes on
Eternally
Continues to anywhere, as long as you're strong

Melodies of Life (English version)

Alone for awhile I've been searching through the dark
For traces of the love you left inside my lonely heart
To weave by picking up the pieces that remain
Melodies of life, love's lost refrain

Our paths they did cross, though I cannot say just why
We met, we laughed, we held on fast, and then we said goodbye
And who'll hear the echoes of stories never told?
Let them ring out loud till they unfold

In my dearest memories, I see you reaching out to me
Though you're gone, I still believe that you can call out my name

A voice from the past, joining yours and mine
Adding up the layers of harmony
And so it goes, on and on
Melodies of life
To the sky beyond the flying birds, forever and beyond

So far and away, see the bird as it flies by
Gliding through the shadows of the clouds up in the sky
I've laid my memories and dreams upon those wings
Leave them now and see what tomorrow brings

In your dearest memories, do you remember loving me?
Was it fate that brought us close and now leaves me behind?

A voice from the past, joining yours and mine
Adding up the layers of harmony
And so it goes, on and on
Melodies of life
To the sky beyond the flying birds, forever and beyond

If I should leave this lonely world behind
Your voice will still remember our melody
Now I know we'll carry on
Melodies of life
Come circle round and grow deep in our hearts
As long as we remember

Krathoon

I beat the Lifa Tree boss. I cast
Life on it. Instant kill.

How do you tell if something is undead? It seems like Detect just shows what they are carrying.

Krathoon

I like this thread. It more active than the one in the Penny Arcade forums.

I am in the battle with
Amarant
. I didn't make it. It seems like I need to heal faster.

Top Bottom