• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Final Fantasy IX

Cutty Flam

Banned
FFIX is unbelievable. I feel blessed to have been able to experience it

When I hear 5:41-6:34, I am profoundly moved, choked up every time and almost to tears every single time while listening. It should remind me of all eight main characters and their triumph, all living on together as friends who will always have each other. But one has left us... ...fuck man it was supposed to be that all of them made it... To live on to see and enjoy the better days... I can almost imagine and see Vivi’s presence looking on and over his friends from an indescribably warm and loving place among the stars; looking over his friends from the heavens, seeing them enjoying the brighter side of life that they all fought so hard for. The side of life they all had fought for, for everyone. Zidane, Vivi, and Dagger showed so much respect for life, of all walks. Especially Vivi. He was just a kid and yet he dedicated everything he had towards finding the truth and once he found answers he bravely dedicated his life to being by his friends side and ending all the suffering. Vivi’s letter to his friends and the ending is just so profound to me. I wish I could explain it to you guys. The way it all happened...The life he lived. The way it had to end...I know Vivi’s friends are proud of him more than words can express and that they’ll never forget him

When I think of all this I tear up every single time. I feel like, and like to think during the song “Melodies of Life” (5:41-6:34) that Vivi is watching on from the sky; over his friends as they try to live their lives to the fullest

Fushitsusha

Banned
Glad that you gave it a chance and that it was to your liking. The only one that is as emotional to me is FFX and I really recommend it to see how it evolved on a new system after IX.

The world of Spira is incredible. It will give you something very familiar yet vastly different.

In due time. :)

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Glad that you gave it a chance and that it was to your liking. The only one that is as emotional to me is FFX and I really recommend it to see how it evolved on a new system after IX.

The world of Spira is incredible. It will give you something very familiar yet vastly different.

In due time. :)
When it goes on sale again I'll definitely get it. The atmosphere looks like its one of a kind in that one pic, the one where Tidus and his girl are close together. Square Enix must have perfected romance scenes with FFX

There's one thing that’s been hard to tell about FFIX, last moments before the final fight

Was Zidane and the team in some sort of realm preceding hell when they fought Necron? The soundtrack for that area sounded like there were people suffering in the background. It sounded very ominous, like wailing and moaning in the background

I think Necron wished only to bring souls to nothingness?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Top 20 favorite characters in FFIX

1. Vivi
2. Zidane
3. Dagger
4. Steiner
5. Freya
6. Baku
7. Beatrix
8. Amarant
9. Eiko
10. Blank
11. Puck
12. Ruby
13. Bobby Corwen
14. Cid
15. Alleyway Jack
16. Onionmeister
17. Tom
18. Card Freak Gon
19. Kuja
20. Garland

Unbeatable tier: Thug, Quina, Doctor Tot, Quan, Ticketmaster, Citizens on Rooftops of Alexandria, Black Mage No. 288

Krathoon

FF9 Update
Somehow, I am missing a coffee. I got the hard to get one. I have to get the 3 coffees to the old guy before he dies in an earthquake.

Cid is a frog now. Dagger lost her voice. I got a boat. Oh. I also won the card tournament.

Cutty Flam

Banned
3 coffees
I was wondering why the old man in in the Village of Dali wouldn't give up the Tantalus Theater Ship replica. I had one coffee bag for him but never knew there were others. I should have just brewed a cup and splashed it on his nipples for being such an ingrate tbh. I remember visiting his house after the major events that took place, but never payed attention enough to realize that the old man was killed

What do you get for that sidequest?

Krathoon

I was wondering why the old man in in the Village of Dali wouldn't give up the Tantalus Theater Ship replica. I had one coffee bag for him but never knew there were others. I should have just brewed a cup and splashed it on his nipples for being such an ingrate tbh. I remember visiting his house after the major events that took place, but never payed attention enough to realize that the old man was killed

What do you get for that sidequest?
You get the ship replica. It gets shipped to the theater troup's house.

Mondai

Gold Member
Love it , I used to think this game was sooo damn hard when I first played so I am little surprised how easily I am breezing through it lately (epecially Ark , that thing took me foreverrrrrr to beat when the original came out).

Cutty Flam

Banned
The game kind of rewards you for going back to places. Sometimes you see something different.
Very rewarding. I spent a lot of time exploring every square inch of the game when it came to towns, villages, cities, etc. The overworld map I could have explored better though, there are probably tons of secrets missed that would only be realized after a second or third playthrough. Chocobo Hot and Cold was especially tough to seek out, but the chests were extremely rewarding like 90% of the time

Narasumas

Well I just saw this news and figured it was relevant. Really surprised this is happening after 20 years…but I certainly won’t complain! Here’s hoping it’s halfway decent. One of my favorite cast of characters of all time. I hope they can capture the charm the original game had.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Well I just saw this news and figured it was relevant. Really surprised this is happening after 20 years…but I certainly won’t complain! Here’s hoping it’s halfway decent. One of my favorite cast of characters of all time. I hope they can capture the charm the original game had.

They're probably going to have a field day with Quina, lol

Should be an interesting series. Series will be aimed towards children ages 8-13 which might mean that the emotional trauma found all throughout the game could be toned down a notch. It would be nice to see the entire cast again. These are probably what I'd like to see most

1. Vivi flashbacks (with his grandpa)
2. Steiner and Beatrix moments
3. Tantalus Theater hopefully a ton of screen time, Baku and Blank specifically. And those two brothers in the group could probably be funny as well. The best aspect of the entire group was how Ruby was basically forgotten in the thick of things. Zidane momentarily remembered her only after she had sent a letter or something lmao

Tschumi

Taking notes on LTTP authorship

Baby Babies GIF

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
One of the best moments in the entire game has to be when Vivi was recounting his feelings at the time of
Queen Brahne’s death. They turned it around on us completely. Brahne came to her senses and had love in her heart once again, right before her death. It was the greed that consumed her, that took held of her and directed her actions. After all that Queen Brahne had done, all the misery, danger, and even sentenced impending death placed upon her daughter, Dagger still had hope for her mother until the very end. She still loved Brahne as her mother unconditionally, despite all that had taken place. Vivi was closest to Dagger as she watch her mother take last breaths and say her final words. He was right there as a friend, but he didn’t quite understand all the way what was happening, even though it was evident he was trying his best to. It’s one of the saddest scenes I have ever seen. And although it was not shown or mentioned, I bet even a hard rock like Amaranth who only recently joined the team, only recently began to understand his new team and what drives them - I bet even he was affected by this event. They all went back to Alexandria and the tone couldn’t have been more somber in feeling. The ending of disc 2? The start into disc 3? I have to say, that was brilliant if not perfection in how the developers tied the story together. I was so excited to go back to Alexandria. But the mood, the shattered morale of the team, it was heavily upon the mind. Seeing Zidane brush off even Vivi of all people at the Tavern with nothing to say to anyone, not even to Vivi…that said it all. There was so much to take in, and the events that took place at and near the Iifa Tree had everyone in shambles. It was all very tough to see unfold, and the story is something that I recognize to be on a completely different level in comparison to other games I have played in the past

Cutty Flam

Banned
Ive never seen anyone else mention this...but theres a huge fuckup between 3:15 and 3:30. Can you guys tell me what it is =)
I've checked a dozen times or more as well, I remember Dagger and Eiko exchanging jewelry as sisters essentially at some point. But if they did exchange Eiko's earring(s) for Dagger's pendant, then Dagger still has the pendant in the very end of the game...

Is that the inconsistency you've spotted?

Fuz

Banned

It could be amazing but it will probably be horrible.

Last edited:

Narasumas

There are Sooo many good songs in FF IX, it’s not even funny. Melodies of Life, The Place I’ll Return To Someday, Frontier Village of Dali, Qu’s Marsh…it goes on and on.

One slept on song that I didn’t appreciate until later years is
Assault of theSilver Dragons. The combo of the drop in that song when CID’s fleet shows up with the cinematic is EPIC!! Song goes hard!

Last edited:

Narasumas

Top 3 songs

1. Melodies of Life (both versions)
2. Rose of May
3. Boss Battle
If you really like FFIX’s soundtrack and crave more…these are two great albums that add to the sounds you already love. First is soft piano renditions by TPR, and the second is a really cool collab with a bunch of different people all making their own inventive arrangements of their fav tracks. Couple misses in the second album…but also a couple of really good gems!!

A Melancholy Tribute To Final Fantasy IX by TPR

EIDOLON: Music From Final Fantasy IX by Materia Collective

Top Bottom