• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Final Fantasy IX

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
One of the best moments in the entire game has to be when Vivi was recounting his feelings at the time of
Queen Brahne’s death. They turned it around on us completely. Brahne came to her senses and had love in her heart once again, right before her death. It was the greed that consumed her, that took held of her and directed her actions. After all that Queen Brahne had done, all the misery, danger, and even sentenced impending death placed upon her daughter, Dagger still had hope for her mother until the very end. She still loved Brahne as her mother unconditionally, despite all that had taken place. Vivi was closest to Dagger as she watch her mother take last breaths and say her final words. He was right there as a friend, but he didn’t quite understand all the way what was happening, even though it was evident he was trying his best to. It’s one of the saddest scenes I have ever seen. And although it was not shown or mentioned, I bet even a hard rock like Amaranth who only recently joined the team, only recently began to understand his new team and what drives them - I bet even he was affected by this event. They all went back to Alexandria and the tone couldn’t have been more somber in feeling. The ending of disc 2? The start into disc 3? I have to say, that was brilliant if not perfection in how the developers tied the story together. I was so excited to go back to Alexandria. But the mood, the shattered morale of the team, it was heavily upon the mind. Seeing Zidane brush off even Vivi of all people at the Tavern with nothing to say to anyone, not even to Vivi…that said it all. There was so much to take in, and the events that took place at and near the Iifa Tree had everyone in shambles. It was all very tough to see unfold, and the story is something that I recognize to be on a completely different level in comparison to other games I have played in the past
Your attention and your memory are very impressive.

Multi-disc games were all about the cliffhangers at the time of changing discs, and Square did know how to make you anxious to pop in the next disc and see what happens next.

Top 3 songs

1. Melodies of Life (both versions)
2. Rose of May
3. Boss Battle
Rose of May is such s good track. A perfect theme for Beatrix, with its melancholic tune and the feel like the performer is banging on those piano keys like someone trying to keep their anger and anxiety under control.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Rose of May is such s good track. A perfect theme for Beatrix
Fully agree on that. Sometimes when I listen to that track, I get to thinking that Beatrix might have been meant to be compared side by side to Dagger, if she were to never have left the Castle, and Alexandria. What Dagger’s life could have been had she stayed…Trapped, tied to a rapidly transgressing Queen whose moral compass was nowhere to be found, questioning her purpose and position amidst the confusion and chaos, no support other than what she herself can provide in a hopeless situation, and worst of all is that she would be suffering through all of that completely alone…

Krathoon

I guess the cats would charge themselves up. They would start shaking.
Here is what they look like.
I used reflect and reflected their poison back on them.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Of course, I missed a shop on the way to Mount Guluug. I may go to the ship and do sidequests. I guess the main quest can wait.
That’s exactly what I would recommend. Exploring the entire overworld as much as possible and its secrets, sidequests, speaking with all NPCs for info and such, and a ton of battling in the field with all eight of your key players or protagonists. The second half of the game passes you by in a flash; it’s like a blur when you look back and reflect on it. And I think the best way to play this game is to create vivid memories with it and enjoy the wonderful cast of characters to its fullest

Must’ve re-visited Alexandria like a dozen or so times after you return there. I felt like that was home for everyone. That’s where the core of the team all met that one fateful day and that’s where mostly everyone began their adventure together. Only Eiko and Amaranth were met elsewhere but I still consider that their home the same

Narasumas

If you are in the part of the game you just got a ship, then coffee man can be reached by having a chocobo that can climb mountains.
Thankfully the remastered version lets chocobo hot and cold be soooo much easier. You can turn on fast forward and blaze thru each round, while the in-game clock still beats along to the normal metronome.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
If you are in the part of the game you just got a ship, then coffee man can be reached by having a chocobo that can climb mountains.
Can’t believe I never earned that perk. Must have played Chocobo Hot & Cold like six hours in total chipping away for the Robe of Lords. There were two locations to play Chocobo Hot & Cold that have been discovered

Mopey bloke

Can’t believe I never earned that perk. Must have played Chocobo Hot & Cold like six hours in total chipping away for the Robe of Lords. There were two locations to play Chocobo Hot & Cold that have been discovered
You earn that perk by digging up a specific chocograph treasure. It can't be purchased with points.

Krathoon

I went to Alexandria and got an Alexander card. Found some gems in the rubble. I also went to the grotto and turned in Kupo Nut. I also did some hot and cold and got my first chocograph. I followed it and found my first treasure chest.

Cutty Flam

Banned
You earn that perk by digging up a specific chocograph treasure. It can't be purchased with points.
Hmm that’s crazy, I only had like two or three treasure chests left to find, must have been the one near Treno. Could not find that one no matter how many times I searched. That sidequest was actually very challenging

Krathoon

It is way too easy to miss stuff in this game. Part of the reason why is that you can't see some of the items. You have to rely on the balloon to pop up over your characters head to tell you something is there.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
It is way too easy to miss stuff in this game. Part of the reason why is that you can't see some of the items. You have to rely on the balloon to pop up over your characters head to tell you something is there.
That's exactly what makes an excellent RPG game though. I've played maybe ten to fifteen in my life probably, but the one that stands out the most when it comes to content that can be missed is Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. You used to have to search every single portion of the map and since it was Mario, you checked any place he could reach with his jump. Sometimes you'd jump and out of nowhere get the luckiest find and it turned out to be an item you could really use, something of great value that you could use in your adventure. It was more fun with Super Mario RPG searching the overworld and gaining items but I would say that Final Fantasy IX is right there with it; all the content you can find and make use of

The fact that a lot of these items are invisible makes it even more fun to find. Like that one wealthy duck lady in Treno, who collects the Stellazio, searching and finding those felt very rewarding

GymWolf

Sorry if off topic - but why does FFX narrowly miss the cut for you ?
Last time i played the game was on launch day on ps2 so my memory about it is less than optimal, but i remember the game being too linear and the plot not doing enough for me (still decent tho).

Strangely enough, i loved the blitzball minigame :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
Cutty Flam Cutty Flam
You enjoying? I just got into this thread. FFIX is one of my favorites. I'm sure you've gotten all kinds of feedback but as far as the PSX FF games, it's maybe the best in my opinion.

And honestly, I say maybe not because of the critically acclaimed FFVII, but... because of Tactics.

Play Tactics. And try to play the original.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Does that take into account the different victory poses for the characters?
Only the ones I remember which is basically one variation for each character. Vivi also used to dance around as well so he definitely should not be 5th, probably more deserving the 3rd or 4th spot now remembering that there were other victory celebrations
Hurry up and finish…I wanna know what you think of it! 😁
It’s a fine steady pace. Wish I would have spent more time during my first play through to be honest. It’s been so long since playing a turn based RPG, that I had forgotten what it’s all about with these games. It takes more time and investment and risks taken in these games than other genres imo to get the most out such great games like FFIX. The developers put a world or perhaps multiple to be revisited time and again. The amount of effort and genius that went into Final Fantasy IX essentially guarantees a remake in the future. And a lot if fans will be ecstatic im sure. Hopefully the game reaches far and wide too; truly a game of a lifetime

Narasumas

I was going around to marshes getting frogs and a dragon killed my party and I didn't save. I need to save state when I finish catching frogs in a marshe.
If you’re doing the frog catching quest here’s a tip— look very closely at the colors of the adult (fully grown) frogs. I’m going off memory, but either the male or female frog has a slight black band that runs down the length of their body. It’s really hard to make out, but if you look closely you can see it.

What you want to do is catch all of the frogs in the pond and ALWAYS leave one male and one female frog when you’re done. That keeps the pond repopulating while you’re out on your adeventure and you’ll end up with a bunch more frogs that way than if you didn’t. One of the ways to tell if you did it right is to always save your gane when you’re getting down to just a few frogs left. Then, catch all but the single male and single female then leave the pond and come back. If they are still there you’re good, and you did it right. If they disappeared than what you had left where two of the same gender and you did it wrong (I think?). It’s been a while but that’s the gist. Also, if you stumble across a gold frog you will want to do the same if I recall correctly. Figure out what gender the gold is with the method above and it will repopulate your pond like crazy. I don’t think you really get anything for catching he gold frog, so use it for breeding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom