• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy XIII, one of my top 5 games of all time.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Just finished this game, and I have to say I'm quite speechless, due to sheer amazement. I really really do not understand GAFs hate for this game. I'll try to keep my praise short:

-Battles were fast, exciting, and unpredictable. I remember Cannata saying it was like auto-pilot. Um, no? Between class changes and healing and summons, etc. they were super immersive.

-Environments were absolutely gorgeous; there were several times where I deliberately walked or stopped in order to just stare at the beauty. Only other game I've done this in was Lost Odyssey. Specifically,
Oerba
and
Orphan's Cradle
were absolutely amazing, Took me twice as long to get through each area.

-I really really loved the art design/style. Felt modern, while still holding classic FF charm.

-Characters were awesome, I really didn't have a problem with any of them. Sure Hope was a little whiny, but he was a kid and I could relate to his plight.

-Sure, there were no towns, but I don't think every JRPG needs them. FFX was pretty linear and that was a fantastic game as well.

-Music, OMG the music. So good.gif

-Story was great, cut scenes were awesome as well.
Sure, the ending could have been better, but that's what XIII-2 is for right?

If anyone's wondering, my other top games include MGS2, VC, RE2, and MMX

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The battle system is still probably my favourite gameplay mechanic of last year. I still think some of the Gran Pulse hunts were the best gaming moments I've had in a while.

Rpgmonkey

This thread might get good. :eek:

Would've been a pretty decent entry to the series if the game didn't have so many unnecessary limitations placed on it. As it is I feel it's on the lower tier of FF games.

ultron87

Still need to beat this game, but the way that the game's story drops off a cliff when you get to Gran Pulse really demotivated me.

I do really like the battle system.

Also, this thread is going to be a bloodbath.

YagizY

Not in my top 5 but I do agree with the above points. Whatever, the game is slow and the first 15 hours are average (not bad) but once you get things going, it really is a fantastic game.

ultron87 said:
but the way that the game's story drops off a cliff when you get to Gran Pulse really demotivated me.

No you have it backwards, the story backs off a bit and lets you explore a gigantic environment. If anything it gets better at that point.

NeoUltima

Story got shoddy towards the end. The 'end game' content wasn't very impressive either.
Best battle system in a FF game though.

ultron87

brandonh83 said:
No you have it backwards, the story backs off a bit and lets you explore a gigantic environment. If anything it gets better at that point.

But the only thing to do in that environment is to take "Go kill X monster" quests.

I've played WoW, I don't need that in my Final Fantasy game.

Agree with OP. It's not one of my top RPG's of all time, but it was still a great game that did things very well and I give them respect for trying something new with the battle system. I usually hate turn based games, but I found the battle system refreshing, fast, and fun. Character development and story was also fantastic up until the middle of the game when it turned too cliche.

Neki

Regardless of how laughable people think the story is, the battle system really made the game for me, it made grinding enjoyable again!

Ermac said:
Just finished this game, and I have to say I'm quite speechless, due to sheer amazement. I really really do not understand GAFs hate for this game

1. It's not just GAF but gamers everywhere.

2. Seriously? It's fine if you like it but you can't understand why others don't? I'm so burnt out on this topic that I feel no desire to elaborate but I know you can't actually mean these words.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OP I agree with everything in your post.

Right up until you mentioned the ending. Worst ending to any game ever. Also the bosses sucked for the most part in this game. Top 5 of all time? I wouldn't say top 50 this gen. It isn't a great game, but it's a pretty good one.

BlueWord

Hey guys, let's rank the Final Fantasy games! I don't think we've ever done that before.

In all honesty, I disagree, but that's cool. People play the FF games for different reasons; this one was just a little too on-rails for me, I guess.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's not on my top 10 RPG list but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I love the graphics (transitioning, CG, etc.) and battle system. Though the linearity and simplicity is very questionable.

Agree with just about everything in the OP. Probably my favorite RPG I played in 2010. Glad I am not the only one who liked it, because it sure feels like it sometimes around here. Hell, the battle system alone makes it worth it in my book. I think it is the first RPG where I never got bored of fighting. Surprising an enemy, casting quake, and then blasting the shit out of a group of staggered enemies was so satisfying.

But I will admit that I do prefer towns in my RPGs. I guess the game did have towns, but not in the way that everyone wanted. Nautilus was a big tease as well. The first time went there I was expecting a new Goldensaucer, and came away disappointed. The place looked amazing though.

Horrible narrative and characterization is what destroyed the game. The visuals were great, the music was forgettable (or downright awful if we're speaking of My Hands) and the battle system, while fun, provided very little challenge or incentive.

Without a doubt one of my top 5 gaming disappointments of all time.

DonMigs85

ULTROS! said:
It's not on my top 10 RPG list but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I love the graphics (transitioning, CG, etc.) and battle system. Though the linearity and simplicity is very questionable.
Same for me. Music is also great, but the story is just plain bizarre.

I'm not sure I'd put it in my top jrpg list or something ,but it would be a top FF for me. Really enjoyed the game. Liked the characters, the story(except the ending), the music, and the fantastic battle system. I get the hate, but it's a bit annoying. Whatever though, I liked it and don't really care if others didn't.

TheVisualizer said:
Nier is better

[/thread]
And I find stuff like this to be the most annoying. It's like these posters feel the need to validate their own "little" game and it's quality compared to the "big" game. Did Nier need to be mentioned in this thread? No, not at all.

hamchan

Wait, FFX had towns! Also, even though there was no world map, it allowed you to go anywhere in the world at a certain point once you got that airship.

Loved it. Nowhere near my top 5 (though it's in my top 5 FFs) but my GOTY for 2010 and one of my favorite games of the generation.

Be prepared to be torn apart though. The haters are quite vocal even if it was in the top 20 on Gaf for the year.

ultron87 said:
I guess I missed the survey of gamers everywhere where FFXIII officially got its "hated" status.

When Square Enix gives interviews upon interviews about how they know FF13 let a lot of gamers down and that they're not sure what fans of the series want anymore due to the negative feedback they've received it's not just a Gaf thing.

Le-mo

My least favorite Final Fantasy and my most regretted purchase of 2010. I hated everything about the game except the gameplay, graphics and music, but in the end I could not pull myself together to finish the game. The characters were shit with the exception of Lightning and Fang. Vanille......is my most hated video game character ever. I hated everything about her. If I could have muted her for the whole entire game I might have been able to finish the game. The story was shit. This was the first JRPG that I've played that required the player to switch between characters and quite frankly, I fking hated it. Dumb decision. It's a shame that a game with such great gameplay mechanics was packaged into such a poorly designed game. No exploration? F u Square-Enix.

Haunted

Thoroughly underwhelming after the years of hype.

Too linear, automatic combat with little strategy or customisation involved, no towns, no NPCs, no charm.

Would've loved the game if the whole thing would've been like chapter 11. Aside from the FFVII throwbacks at the start, that was the first time it really felt like a proper Final Fantasy game.

Failure, as far as I'm concerned. Or maybe I'm one of those guys who's outgrown the series, like Nomura said.

TheChillyAcademic said:
Defensive much?

I mean we all know you like the game but people CAN have opinions, positive or negative in addition to yours.
No. My opinion is the law. I am the law.
Seriously though, the post came off as pretty trolly post, not just stating an opinion which is perfectly fine. But basically, I just trolled back.

Rahxephon91 said:
No. My opinion is the law. I am the law.

Pay Cesar what is due Cesar.

The game, more than anything, was a let down, more so than it being a "good" or "bad" game. The potential that characters like Jihl or Cid had were nearly limitless and they were relegated to obscurity and dismissed. The Prologue Novels truly had a much more interesting narrative than the game itself.

Haunted

_tetsuo_ said:
I couldn't get past the 20 hour tutorial section.
836142109_AJGdT-L.jpg

hamchan

They took a really long time developing it and it's the most linear FF ever with a big lack of sidequests compared to past entries. Also is it shorter compared to past games? Or maybe the length of time the story takes place over is much shorter, makes it feel less epic.

Top Bottom