• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Finally finished Mass Effect 3.. and I enjoyed it. (spoilers)

joms5

So this is going to be an unpopular opinion but I wanted to touch on a few things that this game did better and worse than previous entries, but also talk about the series in general.

I know sometimes wall of text threads are scary to read so I will make a list for quick and easy digestion.

The Good

1) The characters were more fun and dialog seemed a lot more natural in this game.
This could be due to 2 previous games of backstory and adventures with characters but conversations in this game had a more natural flow to them. Responses never seemed stilted and changes subjects never seemed as abrupt in previous entries. The characters joked around a bit more, and seemed to have a natural camaraderie that was absent in the other games.

2) The game just played better.
The leap from Mass Effect 1 to 2 was major. But I feel as though small changes to the way this game controlled and the interface and weapons systems just sped things up.

3) The Art
I never hear people talk about the beautiful art design in this game. Holy cow. just some examples.

http://imgur.com/a/mvX2i

The Bad

1) Blatant over sexualization of all female characters. (Humans in particular)
Maybe this was just me but there are some obvious examples here (EDI anyone). I didn't mind it so much in Mass Effect 2 with Miranda because I figured they were going for some sort of femme fatale sort of look. But Allers and Ashley seemed to have extra plump lips, EDI sporting double D's, Jack's nipples, the always tight fitting spandex on Samara and Liara. I know some of this is unchanged from ME1 and 2 but it stood out like a sore thumb here to me.

2) Planet scanning
I'm in the minority here but I would rather they go back to ME1 where you actually travel to a planet and driver around. Scanning planets is just tedious busy work.

3) The environment design.
These games aren't struggling to hold up even today. The environments are all very static, lifeless, almost cookie cutter in design. A wall higher than my chest, I know that's invisible. Another square room that leads to a corridor to another square room full of boxes to hide behind. Very boring to walk around in. Not to mention the robotic animations on random npc's or just characters in the world. Feel like an It's A Small World attraction more than anything.

Finally... The Ending.

For those interested I played the original ending and not the one that was later patched in by Bioware. Wanted to experience this game the way it was originally intended.

I'm conflicted here. I hated that it came down to a choice at the very end of the game. I wish all those decisions you had made earlier culminated to your ending but instead you have 3 endings to choose from (which I know would vary to a certain degree, but only based on your galactic readiness, which is dumb). So that was lame. They also seemed to go down the route of Bad, Good and Indifferent ending, which feels cheap. None of them seemed to have enough weight behind it to actually make it a difficult choice.

I went with the Synthesis ending almost immediately.

Having said all of that, I liked the ending for what it was. It really needed more context as to what happens to the rest of the world or galaxy. What becomes of life for certains races would have been nice to see maybe. It just needed more. That's my takeaway. Ending a game with 1 cutscenee that changes based off a 3 way decision seems so cheap and rushed so I can understand the outrage at the time.

So let me rank these in an unconventional way.

As an RPG 1,2,3. As a shooter 3,2,1.

Anyone with me?
What didn't people like about this game? Besides the ending.

foxdvd

Combat on insanity was near perfect in 3. The level design had more layered approach and felt less boxed in vs 2.

Mass Effect 2 is still my favorite though...by a mile.

Jawmuncher

I loved ME3. Ending and all. I still haven't even watched the extended endings. I was fine with the bullshit they pulled.

mcz117chief

Having said all of that, I liked the ending for what it was. It really needed more context as to what happens to the rest of the world or galaxy. What becomes of life for certains races would have been nice to see maybe. It just needed more.

I felt exactly the same way. The ending wasn't bad there just wasn't enough of it. Luckily the extended cut rectifies that brilliantly for all endings. I also went with synthesis btw.

Linkark07

Banned
What did I dislike about this game? New Ashley design, Kai Leng was a pathetic excuse of a villain, enemy hordes like DA2, the awful quest log (if you could even call that a log), your choices in past games were only useful as points, soundtrack wasn't that memorable compared to 1 or 2... Too many negatives.

That said, there are still some positives. Gameplay wise, it plays even better than 2, multiplayer was also good, Leviathan and Citadel were great DLCs, especially the latter.

Hoodbury

I played ME 3 on the Wii-U. It was the only Mass Effect game I have played and I loved it. Not sure what all the hate was about.

ME3 is definitely a fantastic game overall. The combat was a great refinement over ME1+2, the scenarios you play through in most cases are really good (Krogan planet, Geth/Quarian story arc, etc.).

The game also has my favorite weapon in the series; the pistol that fires little sticky grenades. It's so satisfying to stick those on people and it's very powerful.

The ending is definitely a let down, mainly for simplifying the Reapers' reasoning for doing what they're doing. ME1 did a great job of making them seem mysterious and incredibly powerful (just one of them was incredibly hard to kill), but then ME3 just turns them into the typical: Robot's who misunderstood/mis-interpreted their masters and ended up killing everyone "for their protection." Very disappointing, especially when you're ale to prove that robots can coexist peacefully if you resolve the Geth/Quarian conflict in a certain way.

I was really sad to hear about the original vision for the story revolving around the Reapers trying to slow or prevent the eventual death of the galaxy/universe, which would have been at least a small improvement.

joms5

I felt exactly the same way. The ending wasn't bad there just wasn't enough of it. Luckily the extended cut rectifies that brilliantly for all endings. I also went with synthesis btw.

Is it worth watching this on Youtube? I'm always worried that it may taint my memory if it turns out to be better.

What did I dislike about this game? New Ashley design, Kai Leng was a pathetic excuse of a villain, enemy hordes like DA2, the awful quest log (if you could even call that a log), your choices in past games were only useful as points, soundtrack wasn't that memorable compared to 1 or 2... Too many negatives.

That's another thing I should have mentioned. Everything I did in previous games came as a brief footnote or I got an email that makes mention of it. Sad.

Still a damn good soundtrack though. Just bought it and been listening to it all day.

The game also has my favorite weapon in the series; the pistol that fires little sticky grenades. It's so satisfying to stick those on people and it's very powerful.

giphy.gif

I used that exclusively as my go to pistol. Never left that slot. So great to put 2 or 3 on a guy and just run off knowing that he's done for.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm replaying it again for the 5th(?) time now. Just need to finish the DLC and then it's off to assault the Cerberus Base for the final stretch. It's still a really damn enjoyable game. But there are definitely a lot of aspects that weren't as good as they should have been and other that were fine for the time but after 5 years have aged pretty bad.

The graphics and environments were never amazing, but good enough for the time, but they've really aged, even with me using crazy massive texture replacement mods.

The emotional payoffs are there though and for the most part you get a satisfying resolution to most companions, secondary characters and just random NPCs. The problem is there are more than a few elements that really don't get resolved well, most notably the actual ending, and they stick out more.

But other things just don't resolve well like Cerberus sub arc. Kai Leng blows, the Illusive Man's role and conversion just never felt proper. The war itself never really feels alive or present. The whole Reapers going after you on the galaxy map just doesn't translate well at all in that regard. You have no sense of time as the game is trying to convey months are going by but it just never feels that way at all. And then a lot of other really minor things form the past two games that just get wrapped up super quick in an email or something.

Combat is still really enjoyable, even if tanky and slow. Utilizing abilities and tearing apart enemies is a blast. Despite the trimmed down options in the dialogue I never felt railroaded and what options there are do provide pretty stark variations and outcomes to your choices. The end result to missions like Tuchanka and Rannock were satisfying.

Go back and playthrough the whole series and you will find the refinements made to the combat system makes it literally a chore to play the first two, especially ME1.

In retrospect I love the Mass Effect Trilogy and have beaten each 6 times over (one playthrough per class) and Me3 has some of the strongest moments. The Tuchanka and Rannoch arcs alone are my favourite moments of the trilogy, right up there with the Suicide Mission and the Battle of the Citadel.

However it is still the weakest link of the chain as well as taking the games from a holistic view ME1&2 are stronger games from characters, narrative and exploration perspectives. The ending level and Catalyst moment to this day are badly designed (not head spinning rage inducing as it was for many, personally AC3 had a way worse ending IMO) does hurt the game as a whole. Seriously the whole Reaper War really pigeon-hold the story where it became a MGS4 situation and had to resolve a boat loads of arks, which is why Andromeda acting as a clean slate without a trilogy worth of baggage really gets me excited.

Ralemont

not me
2 and 3 are a few of my favorite games.

As for the extended cut, it will absolutely taint your opinion of the original ending BC it's much better, but thats a good thing. Instead of youtubing it, download it and replay the last mission (starting with cerberus base) as there are a few extra scenes sprinkled through Earth and not just the actual ending.

Owensboro

I really enjoyed the multiplayer and almost never see anyone talking about it. It was some fun Co-op nonsense even with it's crappy random unlocking system. Good to see it getting some love.

RE Extended Cut - Is it worth watching this on Youtube? I'm always worried that it may taint my memory if it turns out to be better.

Maybe. There's some new dialog with certain characters towards the end but the main differences are in the ending scenes and montages. Each of those is extended with scenes that may not gel with your own ideas so there's that but unless you're waist deep into the lore i doubt you'd really notice or care. It has been a while since i've watched it though.

Zackat

I got so mad that Miranda died because I rejected her advances at the beginning of 3 because I wanted to romance Liara instead. Ruined my game tbh.

Still love it, the Citadel was great.

Zakalwe

Banned
Gets way too much hate imo - the Mass Effect trilogy is awesome.

I disagree.

Relegating entire story arcs, important plot points, and character interactions to entries in the codex was lazy and cheap.

The actual story was very poorly written.

Choices accumulated over the three games simply didn't amount to anything.

The ending is absolutely terrible.

-

Combat is great, MP is /fantastic/, some of the set-pieces are wonderful, but overall it has far too many flaws.

AndersK

I wish i could go back and stop myself from playing it before the extended ending.

I find some of the ending to be very meh, but the additional context in the ending DLC is much apreciated. It's no longer STUFF! JUNGLE CRASH! END!

I loved ME3. It's an outstanding game, and my favorite series in gaming to date.

I've read a lot of posts and articles on why people didn't like ME3 as much [as the previous 2 games] or why they disliked or even hated the ending; I understand where most of those thoughts are coming from. Even with that commentary in mind, I can't help but love the ending; both the original and the revised. I thought it was a great conclusion to an epic story. Like you OP, it didn't take me longer than a moment to pick synthesis.

Had day 1 dlc
1 hub wth 5 floors ( citadel )
The journal was broken
Kei Leng
IGN reporter ingame
No end boss
Cameo appearances from ME2 squadmates when they could have joined
Action mode for those that don't like dialogue
Harbinger just leaves
Becoming a delivery guy after eavesdropping
Telling us to buy dlc at the end of the game

And all that before the ending travesty masked what was a very mediocre game.

But i forgave it, Simply because of the MP.

joms5

It blows me away how many of you have played all 3 games multiple times.

OP, did you dip your toes into the multi-player at all?

I didn't bother with the multiplayer. I'm mainly here for the story. Heard a lot of good things. A friend of mine told me that it only adds to your Galactic Readiness, and mine was already over 7000 i believe (that number could be way off but I remember thinking it was way more than I needed. So I just figured skip it.

I got so mad that Miranda died because I rejected her advances at the beginning of 3 because I wanted to romance Liara instead. Ruined my game tbh.

lol I made it all the way to the 3rd game without having the option to romance anyone until Allers came to my room. I figured, fuck it. One night stand it is.

Wish I had actually fostered a relationship with someone. Might have made some choices a lot more difficult.

What really made me mad was the people who died in this game. I still have to look up how that system works but I feel like my 2 favourite characters from ME2 both ate it in this game. Teared up when
Modin
bit the dust.

I was wondering if the more time you spend with people in previous games is a factor in who they kill off or not. But that's probably just some irrational conspiracy of mine.

Also can we all just agree that fem shep is the only way to play this game. Nothing against those who played male shep in here but the performances don't compare. Jennifer Hale has so much more range and really sells some of those moments.

The only good thing about Kai Leng is that he led the way to the incredibly awesome N7 Slayer class in the multiplayer. In fact, all the variety and powers you have in the multiplayer makes Mass Effect 3 the most fun game in the trilogy in my opinion. Area Reave a large group of reapers and then throw a series of cluster grenades with the Drell Adept, sit back and watch as numbers flash by your screen while the oh so satisfying biotic explosion sounds play in the background. Punch your enemies so hard in the balls that their heads explode, with the volus sentinel. Dark Channel one of those annoying phantoms with the Asari Huntress and then run away only to for the kill marker to show a few seconds later, incredibly satisfying.
I'm honestly surprised EA never released the multiplayer as its own standalone game considering how great it is.

Top Bottom