• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Flower thatgamecompany > Team ICO

AAK

flowerlogo_square.jpg

Completed the credits moments ago....no Words. MIND BLOWN.

THIS is the best Sony published game on the PS3. If Hayao Miyazaki was to ever make a video game he'd dream he could make flower. Don't mean to hyperbole but thatgamecompany just delivered a monumental experience unlike anything out there. This is now the one software that I will use to show off my PS3.

If you haven't played this game yet, DO SO. There is absolutely nothing in the English vocabulary that does justice to this game. ICO and SOTC were always heralded in the frontlines for the argument that games = art, but Flower propels itself way beyond Team ICO territory.

Thank you as well to thatgamecompany. I take back my skepticisms with Journey's E3 showing.

Sporty

Neo Member
I also loved Flower and Ico/SotC but both take different approaches to the 'art' aspect that I can't call one better then the other.

Flower I did play the whole game in one sitting the first time I played it though, it hooked me till the end, and I played it a few times since then.

I'm looking forward anything from either company. Journey and Last Guardian are both day 1 buys for me. Luckily I don't have to choose, unless they both come out on the same day...

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I loved flower.

But you should've let the game sink in a little bit before posting a thread. Hyperbole all up in this bitch.

AAK

It just needs to be said that when I played Flower, there was no barrier where I felt like "this is just another videogame". The level of interactivity I felt blowing away those petals by simply holding down a button and rotating my controller was just subliminal and natural. Flower managed that perfectly more than any other game I've played before.

John

AAK said:
It just needs to be said that when I played Flower, there was no barrier where I felt like "this is just another videogame". The level of interactivity I felt blowing away those petals by simply holding down a button and rotating my controller was just subliminal and natural. Flower managed that perfectly more than any other game I've played before.
Yeah, this game ruined my forearms like no other

Well, there really isn't much "game" to Flower. Unique experience no doubt, but far from the games that are Ico and SotC. No contest in my opinion. Team Ico is superior...but they are going after two different things under the same sort of "artsy" premise, so to speak.

Dynamic3

I'd rather sit through the entire Konami conference 100x than sit through 5m of Flower. Flower is the hipster of the gaming world.

Sporty

Neo Member
AAK said:

One thing I can say about Flower though. It's the first and probably only proper use of Sixaxis. If Sony had this game at PS3 launch, Sixaxis would probably have had more thought out uses then the tack-on feel that most games have.

Alex

Nice aesthetics, horrendous everything else. Personally, I couldn't put more than about ten minutes in before I knew it wasn't for me. Relaxation based products are lost on me, and with the amount of them, chock full of alternative art designs that are almost turning commonplace, I hope some these designers learn to do more with their product in the medium than just wisp around with mellow visuals and music. Too many glorified screen savers on DLC services lately.

Alucrid

Banned
Dynamic3 said:
I'd rather sit through the entire Konami conference 100x than sit through 5m of Flower. Flower is the hipster of the gaming world.

Funny thing about this statement, neither of these things are bad. In fact, both of them are incredible.

noah111

Still Alive
You're posting out of emotion, I knew the second I read the title that you had JUST finished Flower, as I had the same sort "OMFG I WANNA TELL EVERYONE!" feeling as you..

They are going for two different markets though, so I don't think it's too fair of a comparison. I think TGC is definitely on it's way (with stuff like Journey) to becoming a company that we'll look back on ad say 'those games really were something'. Especially since it's not the same experience as ICO are going for each time, TGC seems to be targeting specific emotions each game. Anyway.. chill.

I bought a new tv so I have to replay Flower among other things. I will never forget my first playthrough though, its engraved in my mind forever.

Alucrid

Banned
Sentry said:
You're posting out of emotion, I knew the second I read the title that you had JUST finished Flower, as I had the same sort "OMFG I WANNA TELL EVERYONE!" feeling as you..

They are going for two different markets though, so I don't think it's too fair of a comparison. I think TGC is definitely on it's way (with stuff like Journey) to becoming a company that we'll look back on ad say 'those games really were something'. Especially since it's not the same experience as ICO are going for each time, TGC seems to be targeting specific emotions each game. Anyway.. chill.

I would call Ico and Sotc radically different experiences. I suppose the reason why people lump them together is because they both ooze an unmistakable atmosphere missing in most games. Also, you will always be remembered as 'that guy' in my mind. :lol

vazel

Banned
I like the game but why do you have to bring this whole '>' fanboy crap into it. And Team Ico of all developers. Edit: And Miyazaki too, wow. Calm the hell down.

GhaleonQ

AAK said:
If Hayao Miyazaki was to ever make a video game he'd dream he could make flower.

Your analogies are as awful as your taste in video games. That doesn't even make sense, excluding some vague reference to the creators being environmentalists. You might as well have referenced J.R.R. Tolkien.

It has no meaning, just aesthetics. Shallow, shallow, shallow.

Edit: Flower isn't even the hipster. It's the class mute who owns 1 Grizzly Bear album. You might attempt to meet him halfway to be nice, but you'd only realize that he's there for a reason.

AAK

:lol

Oh man, yeah, I guess the thread title took everything away from the real context of my post. The thread was made more for an appreciation for Flower than a comparison, I only spent a marginal amount of space in the OP where I say that flower wins the game= art thing and I just brought Team ICO as a comparison. I have nothing but respect for Ueda and his team. But carry on by all means if you think I'm trying to "pit developers against one another".

JesseZao

Release a demo and I'll try this "game." Otherwise, I will continue to be a skeptic and not be swayed by the praise.

Majora

Pretty, nice sentiment, but dull. Playing as a gust of wind with OCD got tedious pretty quickly for me.

AAK

Presentation + Soundtrack + Controls resonating so seamless and felicitously that you can't help but be overwhelmed by it all.

Vice

It's really pretty, but very boring. I enjoyed the Team Ico games more and thought they were just as breathtaking as Flower, for their time period of course, if not more so.

JWong

Banned
The tactic of getting Sony fans to fight each other won't work.

Both games are fantastic with their own merits.

Parham

Banned
AAK said:

Oh man, yeah, I guess the thread title took everything away from the real context of my post. The thread was made more for an appreciation for Flower than a comparison, I only spent a marginal amount of space in the OP where I say that flower wins the game= art thing and I just brought Team ICO as a comparison. I have nothing but respect for Ueda and his team. But carry on by all means if you think I'm trying to "pit developers against one another".

LTTP: Flower thatgamecompany > Team ICO

There is a fine line between drawing comparison and actively saying one studio is superior to another. If you didn't want to pit the two against each other, then you shouldn't have included that statement in your thread title.

Sew

Nice thread timing, I finally picked up a PS3 this weekend and grabbed Flower last night. It's certainly unlike anything I've ever played, I almost had an emotional moment.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
AAK said:

You clearly wrote that title to get attention and now you have to live with the consequences.

StuBurns

Banned
Flower was my GotY last year, it is an essential experience for every gamer, however, ICO is immeasurably superior.

GhaleonQ

AAK said:
Presentation + Soundtrack + Controls resonating so seamless and felicitously that you can't help but be overwhelmed by it all.

...Welp, that settles it! Suck it, Team Ico. TRY A SOUNDTRACK NEXT TIME. Have you considered presentation, so-called "Love-De-Lic?" Good topic.

Gravijah

StuBurns said:
Flower was my GotY last year, it is an essential experience for every gamer, however, ICO is immeasurably superior.

Does ICO still hold up? I never could find it in the stores when I had cash, and I adore SoTC. Might try renting it from GameFly.

StuBurns

Banned
Gravijah said:
Does ICO still hold up? I never could find it in the stores when I had cash, and I adore SoTC. Might try renting it from GameFly.
I just replayed it last week, it's awe inspiring.

Carl

Single best game i played last year, definitely. So simple yet so wonderful and beautiful. ThatGameCompany continues to make brilliant games :)

AAK

ARgh FFS! I'm not trying to start any shit... *sigh* this thread title was a mistake, what was I thinking. :lol

Top Bottom