• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Gears 5 - So pretty.... So boring.

Nothing to deal with
GOW 2018 was bloated crap compared to the tight corridor slasher it was
UC 4 was aight. Peaked at 2
Can't speak on Halo as I missed the 2 you mentioned
But 5's campaign did nothing for me
Gears 4 and 5 were turds compared to the 1st and 3rd

What an argument, clearly you have won the unassailable idea that no franchise survives past part 3.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I like gears 3 more because of the incredible horde mode, but with each update, gears 5 is getting closer and closer; I also infinitely prefer 12 waves of horde now over the traditional 50.
Gears 4 horde was dogshit, worst of all time.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
It's awful in almost every way possible. The campaign, that is. And MP was ruined by greed. Fuck that shit!

The original trilogy is where it's at!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Thought I was done with the series after 4 and only tried Gears 5 because it was on Gamepass. Ended up loving it. The Coalition managed to finally expand the gameplay in a meaningful way. I mean, the standard gameplay loop was fun and all but after 3 I was done with it. The remake bored me and 4 as well. Was therefore hesitant to even try 5 but thankfully I did. Great game!

mcz117chief

Such a vapid and flat game. There is really nothing going on and the performance on Xbox One is abysmal. The input lag is so insane it makes the game stupidly hard even on normal since aiming is almost impossible in some sections. I have enjoyed every single Gears game that came before, I actually played 4 a few months before I got 5 and I was pumped for 5 since I enjoyed the campaign of 4 (except for the "those are definitely-not-Locusts Locusts").

The formula has just worn out its welcome. Its like Uncharted and God of War. After too many entries of the same mechanics, a major shake up is needed.

The clunky cover system and same enemy encounter design over and over again can't sustain 5 damn entries.
Which they will never do because of mp.

Greggy

Such a vapid and flat game. There is really nothing going on and the performance on Xbox One is abysmal. The input lag is so insane it makes the game stupidly hard even on normal since aiming is almost impossible in some sections. I have enjoyed every single Gears game that came before, I actually played 4 a few months before I got 5 and I was pumped for 5 since I enjoyed the campaign of 4 (except for the "those are definitely-not-Locusts Locusts").
There are 3 more powerful xbox consoles in all price ranges that you can play it on without including the cloud, so hard to sympathize with you on that one. For input lag, buy a better tv. Even on the cloud I don't feel lag when playing Gears. Campaign taste obviously varies but the game is widely acknowledged as a technical masterpiece and the Series X version feels next gen on all levels.

mcz117chief

There are 3 more powerful xbox consoles in all price ranges that you can play it on without including the cloud, so hard to sympathize with you on that one. For input lag, buy a better tv. Even on the cloud I don't feel lag when playing Gears. Campaign taste obviously varies but the game is widely acknowledged as a technical masterpiece and the Series X version feels next gen on all levels.
Yeah, blame my TV, when basically every other game runs totally fine and my TV is top of the line just a few years old. And I don't feel compelled to buy another plastic doodad every time it launches. Master Chief Collection, Halo Wars 2, Gears of War 4 and Xbox 360 games run perfectly fine and clean on Xbox One, it is only Gears 5 which is unplayable.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
I stopped at the boss which you have to shoot the ice under his feet and then shoot at his back.. I was bored...

Shmunter

This video probably sums up your experience....note, have not played a gears game since my golden 360 days, but the obvious downgrades rile me up in how designers can miss the point so negligently....

mcz117chief

Call of Duty is perfect. I recently replayed all of my Call of Duty games and not even one feels outdated, they are all amazing experiences. It is all about how engaging you make the campaign. You got the classics of 1 and 2 which tell WW2 in an interesting way and MW 1-3 which is all about covert/black ops and conspiracies and such which is also great. Then you got the off shots like Infinity which is like a Mass Effect FPS where each mission is completely different from the previous one. And of course you got the latest Cold War one which has some of the most incredible missions I have ever seen, it now sits among my top three CoD campaigns. If they keep making CoD like that then I will keep buying it.

Rikkori

Playing through this again now, a nice distraction while waiting for Cyberpunk. What made me enjoy this more this time around is putting it in 1440p 120hz instead of 4K 60, though sadly I had to give up HDR. 4K wasn't much of a sacrifice ultimately because the game, even with the texture pack, simply doesn't have high res textures, nor the high frequency detail that would benefit high resolutions. Or at least whatever is there gets completely smudged by the industry's worst TAA - the UE4 one. It's an absolute abomination and I really hope they innovate on it for UE5, because this is just SHIT!

Overall it's still a mediocre/sub-mediocre campaign, especially after coming off of the highs of Metro Exodus which showed me very clearly what a top class single player campaign looks like while still having open world elements interspersed. It's too bad Microsoft is mishandling the Gears franchise, there's a lot of potential to that universe. Mind you none of the games have been "bad", or sunk to the depths that you saw someone like Bioware fall to, but it's just some middle-of-the-road, vanilla, bland, gaming. From top to bottom, but especially the writing.

Wish I could say I have hopes for the future for the franchise but it's MS we're talking about 1st, and 2ndly I see a lot of people leave The Coalition that worked on these games, so now you gotta start from scratch with new faces (after already having started from scratch for setting up TC post-Epic. Maybe it will work out, but I think this would've been much better if it was a 1st party-adjacent studio rather than straight up owned by FP, sorta like how you had Insomniac in the past. It's always an issue when control isn't down to just a few people who own it instead of a giant corpo. It's all about vision, and I just don't see it from current leadership (a struggle we can observe with 343i too, but worse there).

BigLee74

This video probably sums up your experience....note, have not played a gears game since my golden 360 days, but the obvious downgrades rile me up in how designers can miss the point so negligently....

Hasn't played it, is a know Sony lover, yet will still come in to shit on it.

Stick to your next gen thread, matey.

SkylineRKR

Its funny since I hadn't played Gears in about 13 yrs. One of the first things I did was getting 5 on the Series S. It looked amazing, but I was sick of it after an hour or so. It felt exactly the same with some added gimmicks. I even speed reloaded right off the bat. Then I did some MP, and idk, I think this game and its mechanics are a thing of the past. It feels very restrictive in movement and paste cover. I think the likes of Uncharted and TLOU did a much better job in MP even though they're mainly SP games.

Forsythia

I didn't like the 2 "open world" sections, the rest of the game was great. A nice improvement over Gears 4. Yeah, the OG trilogy is better, but Gears 5 is a solid entry. And it's better than Judgment.

Shmunter

Hasn't played it, is a know Sony lover, yet will still come in to shit on it.

Stick to your next gen thread, matey.
Are you serious, sorry to hurt your feelings with some objective info supporting the op’s argument.

I love gaming btw and are not afraid to call out any part of the industry, even if it hurts your console fi fi’s

mcz117chief

Its funny since I hadn't played Gears in about 13 yrs. One of the first things I did was getting 5 on the Series S. It looked amazing, but I was sick of it after an hour or so. It felt exactly the same with some added gimmicks. I even speed reloaded right off the bat. Then I did some MP, and idk, I think this game and its mechanics are a thing of the past. It feels very restrictive in movement and paste cover. I think the likes of Uncharted and TLOU did a much better job in MP even though they're mainly SP games.
You should see pros play the multiplayer. It looks like a completely different game and I am not exaggerating. Imagine it this way, we fly kites, they fly F-18.

My biggest gripe with the Gears franchise (and Microsoft's approach to greenlighting these game in general) is the makeup of the studios themselves. It's like this is the Gears studio, this is the Halo studio, this is the Forza studio. Every time they make a decent game they milk the absolute life out of the franchise to the point no one gives a shit any more. Does anyone really wanna play a Gears 6? What can they do with 6 that they haven't done in the past 5 with the same tired characters and setting? The development teams behind these games end up losing all their talent as individuals don't wanna work on the same thing for ever and move on.

Let these teams breathe. Take the examples of Naughty Dog, Rockstar etc. Known for their big series (e.g. Uncharted and GTA) but allowed to create something new that really blew us all away (first Last of Us and RDR). Studios shouldn't be just one trick ponies. The only light at the end of the tunnel for me was Playground getting a crack at Fable. Those guys earned their shot at a big IP though it should have come a lot sooner. The quicker Microsoft stop allocating their studios to game series the better. New IPs from their top tier dev studios is how you sell systems. I wish they would stop riding on the coattails of their previous successes and get back to what made them great in the first place. Reward their top devs with a chance at a big Microsoft IP just like Playground and stop squandering their talent

End rant, haha.

Ogbert

It is exceedingly dull.

Gears nerds to be totally and utterly reinvented. Division 2 does everything Gears does, but places you in a huge city with a loot grind and endless activities. It obviously has its own flaws, but Gears genuinely feels old now. Like the 360 game it essentially is.

Ev1L AuRoN

Yes I had the same feeling about the game.

Gear 1 and 2 were amazing, 360 was the pinacle of xbox, so many great exclusives.

Gears 5 is beautiful, but the world doesn't feel right, bullets don't have a sense of impact, the mission structure is bare and uninspired and I don't give a f*#$ for the characters.

Such a shame, HDR is amazing in this game, but I didn't bring myself to finished yet, I played co-op once with my friends and after that, we all went to play something else and never came back.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
idk, only played GoW: ultimate edition for a bit and it didn't catch me. Shooting is too mundane and the game itself super generic. Maybe I should give it another go.

Shmunter

Yes I had the same feeling about the game.

Gear 1 and 2 were amazing, 360 was the pinacle of xbox, so many great exclusives.

Gears 5 is beautiful, but the world doesn't feel right, bullets don't have a sense of impact, the mission structure is bare and uninspired and I don't give a f*#$ for the characters.

Such a shame, HDR is amazing in this game, but I didn't bring myself to finished yet, I played co-op once with my friends and after that, we all went to play something else and never came back.
Don’t know how they messed up the sense of impact. Back in 360 days, interviews with CiffyB he expressed how important all this is to the franchise, a core pillar. It’s baffling how such things get lost over time. Can only point to devs that have no genuine appreciation of what they are working on, lack of understanding.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I feel the same.

Everyone is big, but there's no weight. There's a lot of bullets, but every kill looks too real with no extravaganza.

I miss the Gears that Cliff B made

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Don’t know how they messed up the sense of impact. Back in 360 days, interviews with CiffyB he expressed how important all this is to the franchise, a core pillar. It’s baffling how such things get lost over time. Can only point to devs that have no genuine appreciation of what they are working on, lack of understanding.

To me Microsoft became a fast food chain, quick and easy titles that don't need to entice you to pay 60 dollars for. It just one more game to throw on the Gamepass catalog.
Playground is the last resemble of a studio that is truly is invested in their games.
My hope is that the news studios they bought in can change this. Looking foward to Hellblade 2, the next Doom, Elders Scroll 6 and a decent Fallout game.

The ending was so abrupt. I just thought "Is that it?"

Glad I got it on Gamepass as I would be dissapointed buying it.

The First 3 were brilliant games, 4 was quite good but this one just seemed to struggle, the 'open world' was just filler.

But even on the last level it never had that feeling of hopelessness at anytime that the first one especially had. The level with the gas station were you are pinned down was just incredible

Last edited:
It's the same thing with Halo. The original devs told the story they wanted and left.
Microsoft should be looking for the next Gears/Halo instead of keeping these dead horses on life support.

Gears 5 is more 'uncharted-ish". I think that's why some people love it while others hate it.
What I hate are the archaic control scheme and sticky cover mechanic.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Started playing over the weekend as it was on sale for £9.

aiming is pissing me off already. But I’m shocked at the linear corridor of it. I’d hoped they’d evolved the gameplay just a little bit

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I got to the snow area and lost interest. I had no idea who these people were or why was supposed to care. I finished Gears 4 too, they are just so forgettable.

Loved Gears 1 & 2, beat them multiple times, never played 3, really didn't care much for 4 but had to quit at the end when my save file got borked, and don't think I even got halfway through 5 because of how boring it was and how much I disliked the new cast (which I didn't like in 4 either).

Last edited:
Gears was good but yeah the story just isn't that engrossing. You wouldn't believe it...more underground motherfuckers and someone in charge of humanity that is also a pain in the ass. And emulsion. More emulsion. And exploding emulsion. The story is capable, just not engrossing anymore.

WorldHero

Gotta disagree with OP, I could see that 4 was boring but I found 5 to be a great resurgence for the series. Perhaps OP should play a bit longer? Without spoiling anything, the latter third of the game is definitely not "boring".

Fbh

I need to play this one of these days. When I don't have much to play I'll probably get a month of gamepass for this and Ori 2.
Gears 4 just really killed the hype for me. It looked and performed great, but I liked almost nothing it added to the franchise. Didn't like the new weapons, enemy types or characters. The story and new cast were lame, the original trilogy almost had a bit of an 80's action movie vibe while 4 felt very ....2016.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Sending OP an exclusive limited edition of the PS5 as we speak.

OIP.Iqse7pbHsHiGNkRRvqI_bAHaEP

Top Bottom