• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Gears 5 - So pretty.... So boring.

Graciaus

The last chapter is pretty fun and felt like original Gears to me at least. The rest of the game is barely worth playing. The open world segments are complete garbage also.

MS can't catch a break with their two flagship shooters both not being able to recapture the magic after trying to replace the developers.

Redlancet

Banned
the most boring gears experience i have suffered and and have finished all of them on coop,the open world partes were miserable

why 343 or the colation insist on telling good histories?they arent ND,and in gears its laughlable,even the guy in the lab looks like a WWF fighter

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
This is the case with all trilogies

3 is enough

God of War
Gears
Halo
Uncharted

Name one game where the 4th was better than the previous 3. I dare you

Uncharted 4, MGS 4. Also the 4th God of war reinvented the whole series and it's now one of the biggest money makers for Sony.

It can be done, but it takes risks, and direction. Something Coalition, 343 seem to have issues with.

Shmunter

Uncharted 4, MGS 4. Also the 4th God of war reinvented the whole series and it's now one of the biggest money makers for Sony.

It can be done, but it takes risks, and direction. Something Coalition, 343 seem to have issues with.
I’d go God Of War with Guns. Guns Of War.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Metal Gear Solid 4 is my favorite in the series.
I think they need to give Gears / Halo / Forza a rest and come up with some new IPs.

Shmunter

I just want Gears 3 at 60fps with maybe higher res textures. The game still looks fantastic and is fun as hell on campaign in insane 4 player co-op.
That would be attractive. It’s MS’s own game, no reason they couldn’t patch it for 60 like Sony has been doing with some of their 1st party games.

Dacon

Banned

MGS4 and Uncharted 4 are the worst games in those series imo. Not to say that theyre bad games, but they collapse under the weight of their own narrative, and sometimes absurdity(MGS4's in particular is outright stupid at times). MGS4's gameplay is actually pretty damn good, when it lets you play.

Uncharted 4 is marred with so many sections of pointless meandering meant to immerse you in its narrative but ultimately wind up being very boring, and drag down any future playthroughs. The pacing in the game is absolutely dreadful.

This, amusingly enough is the same problem Gears 5 has. The game is so caught up in its characters and world it forgets that people are here for the classic Gears gameplay and thrills. The open world sections are TERRIBLE and not fun at all to play. It's just time wasting strolling through an empty world filled with meaningless combat encounters that are neither fun nor rewarding. Near the end of the game it finally pics up and starts to feel like Gears again, and then it's over.

Last edited:

Sushen

Battle design was good but actual gunplay was mediocre where games like COD nailed in that regard.

Story wasn't too bad but not great. Open world sections were just boring fetch quests.

The game looks excellent on Series X and I'm having fun at the moment as I missed it out in the last gen.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I beat Gears 4 and thought it was a good game, and the multiplayer was fun... but not once before or after was I like, I need more of this. I loaded up Gears 5, played it for an hour or two, was totally ambivalent about SP and multiplayer was horrible.

Even after being the showcase title on XSX in a lot of ways (sad as that is)... the game is barely in MS' top 50 most popular chart (#48 right behind Halo 5... ouch). I know MS sunk a ton of money into this franchise but I think it's time to see the way the wind is blowing.

Fake

I just want Gears 3 at 60fps with maybe higher res textures. The game still looks fantastic and is fun as hell on campaign in insane 4 player co-op.

Not to mention you can even play the campaign with splitscreen... on Xbox 360.

Good times.

wolywood

What really grinds my Gears about the recent games is how easy they are compared to the original. When you have 3 squadmates who automagically revive you every time you get hit there's literally zero challenge.

The game was fine but the gunplay needs to step up , they should take notes from modernwarfare the guns should have some oomph , there should be some weight behind the gun and the hit, like mw has.
People just shit on it without even playing tbh and as a complete package of solo, coop ,horde , versus its amazing
Single player was so so for me but multi-player is amazing

the most boring gears experience i have suffered and and have finished all of them on coop,the open world partes were miserable

why 343 or the colation insist on telling good histories?they arent ND,and in gears its laughlable,even the guy in the lab looks like a WWF fighter

I mean, to be fair that guy is Baird who was one of your squad members in Gears 1,2,3 and the lead in Judgement lol.

Starstruck

Banned
it's weird how much I loved the first Gears of War, then the second a bit less, the third a bit less and then I completely lost interest in the franchise. I tried playing Gears 5 but it felt really outdated ant the idiot protagonist with her fucking headache is litteraly unsufferable. Multiplayer felt the same old stuff but a lot less charismatic. Uninstalled very soon, never looked back.

I got maybe 7-8 hours into Gears 4 and I was wondering why I was basically playing Gears 1-3 again except with Marcus's boring son. The sequence where you teamed up with Old Marcus for a short time only drove that point home for me. I never finished Gears 4 and never thought about trying Gears 5.

As with Halo, Gears of War should have just ended at 3 when the original developers moved on.

sephiroth7x

Similar story to me that OP. Except with Gears 4.

Loved the original trilogy and even though I knew they were getting worse (3 took a lot to finish/not for difficulty but for sheer boredom) I still wanted to play 4. What I got was a lightweight mess that had me shooting robots. Fucking robots. It was bland, boring and uninspired. So it barely lasted more than a few missions. It may get better but I couldn't bring myself to push on. Gears 5 - I have it on my shelf still sealed. I have bought it in the hopes that one day I will be inspired to play it though based on this thread I don't think I will.

Lol, just started playing this game yesterday on PC. My first "Xbox" game and Gears game since Gears 1...

So far it seems I really haven't missed much in all those years...

acm2000

i enjoyed 5 for what it was, did feel a little drawn out tho, but it was miles better than gears 4, now that was a bag o dicks.

Rikkori

That looks pretty good! I've actually grown to appreciate Gears 5 more, so I'll be happy to give it another go. Just sucks I recently uninstalled it after finishing it again so now it's time to re-DL >100 GB. Oof. Even on a gigabit connection it's not painless.

Skifi28

The last chapter is pretty fun and felt like original Gears to me at least. The rest of the game is barely worth playing. The open world segments are complete garbage also.

Agreed. The last act was great, felt like actually playing gears. The rest of the game was....weird. Pointless open world segments and very sparse combat in between 30 minutes of slow walking and braindead puzzles....just why.

splattered

I would love to see them populate the open world with more enemies.. maybe more small enemy camps you can interact with/fight for rewards etc. The open world segments are definitely nice and look great but i agree they felt a bit too sparse.

Yeah Gears 5 is pretty meh.

Halo and Gears have the same problems to me where the series clearly ended and MS can't let go. But instead of rebooting them and doing something new they have played it safe and given it out to factories to pump out these games. These developers lack real drive and you get super safe games. But it's also a problem with the fans unwilling to let go. Master Chief is a shit character, but the Halo fans would cry bloody murder if you didn't have a game with him. And they want everything explained and expanded on so stories are not allowed to go into unique places.

I remember being excited about Gears 4 as I thought maybe it would be taking the series into a horror direction. Instead we simply got another Gears game. This time with a boring first half fighting enemies that clearly don't understand that gears is a weighty game about shooting meat chunks not robots with awful guns. Also featuring a storm mechanic that went nowhere. To top it off you had the new market tested leads that spoke like low rent marvel movie style quip writing.

Then I guess they realized no one liked their boring generic white dude lead so in 5 lets make him tormented and make the main character the only salvageable character and when some points because strong female characters are in now. Bonus points because she's an ethnic character.

Except while she is more likable all the leads are still boring and the Gears story is still stupid. While maybe the machismo tones of the 360 era don't translate to this era, replacing it with bland more serious storytelling dosen't work for Gears either.

And then it's also just the fact that the games themselves just feel stale. Going with a half measure of semi-open environments dosen't really change that. Just adds more tedious work in between the tired shooting.

It's better than 4 (what a waste of space that one was). However, still no where near as good as the original trilogy. MS should just wrap it up after 6 and let it die. I would also like to add that semi-open world was pointless. Gears is better when linear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom