• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ghostwire: Tokyo PS5 Digital Edition

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
EGS_GhostwireTokyoWide_2560x1440-4bc1a83c819408d33e29e61f1a9d66e4

There's bigger and longer games out there than Ghostwire Tokyo but you're looking at arguably one of the most graphically, greatest looking game of all time in my opinion which isn't the first time I have said that but I get the feeling the art direction was made in good faith, I don't think they were expecting to be this good looking.

The combat I wasn't expecting. If you look at that banner it looks damn close to Yakuza, and for it to come out and have spells, magic... that was interesting and fun.

Ghostwire_Tokyo_20220320180429.jpg

Great to see an upgrade tree, those are awesome they have a ton of interest in the gaming community. Every freaking game has it and rightfully so.

In this game you play as Akito, but also KK who is internally a very interesting ego type character that is introduced within the game's first moments.

Investigating side quests could make this game longer, I couldn't reach all of them across the game's massive map, you take deals with these side quests, on a second playthrough I would go after them.

Ghost Rt GIF by NVIDIA GeForce

The game is split into 6 chapters, you're required to "cleanse" shrines and undergo tests of strength against the main villains family.

I feel confronting enemies in Ghostwire tokyo is one of the most satisfying aspects of any first person game ever.

Overall I think a developer like Bethesda could put a rocketship on Ghostwire's back and make an exciting franchise out of it.

Screenshot-2023-01-15-110526.png

Beyond everything said, Ghostwire: Tokyo reminds me you can still be an FPS and have fun, providing something different. What does Neogaf think about ghostwire Tokyo? Is the xbox crowd excited for Ghostwire: Tokyo?

Hugare

I havent played it yet, but I plan to really soon. The open world bloat kinda turned me off.

People say its one of the most atmospheric games around, so I'm curious

Reactions: Isa

gothmog

Gold Member
There's a trial on PS as well as a sale if people want to check it out. I'm personally waiting for GP myself but I almost bought it on PS5. Seemed like a fun little title but I have too many games in the backlog right now.

I picked it up on PC for my break over Xmas. Really enjoying it and the rain soaked streets of Tokyo look amazing with the raytracing cranked up.

Definitely will check it out eventually. But between now and April I’m booked with other games I’d rather finish.

Certainly seems to me worth $20-$30 at this point.

Markio128

The indoor, self-contained missions are pretty cool, but the open-world part of the game killed it for me. It just became a bit dull; typical rinse and repeat stuff tbh. I would have enjoyed it much more if it had been a linear game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What's up with Digital Edition in the title? How does that matter.
Got this on my backlog. What performance mode you used ?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
the devs must be out of touch when they develop this game.

Awful controls (holy shit input lag) and ubisoft-ish "collectibles" .

I completed the game but feel empty and angry i dont know why.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It’s been $20 often enough, and that’s impulse territory, but mediocre reviews from trusted sources have put me off.

Graphics aren’t a selling point for me.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I am ok with the game on pc. Try it. No awful input lag.
thats good for you, im happy to know that!
but the game is still not really good, even without the input lag. Its just an average game at best.

Drizzlehell

Banned
This is definitely one of the most underrated gems of last year, and one of the most unique first person shooters I've ever played. Because in what other FPS your primary means of attack, i.e. shooting stuff, is represented not as a traditional firearm but instead it's some crazy form of martial arts hand gestures that result in your character shooting projectile magic balls from his fingers, which you use to open up holes in hostile ghostly apparitions so that you could rip out their glowing hearts as a finishing move?

It's a visually stunning game and not because of the texture quality or the lighting effects - those are pretty okay for today's standards. It's more about the art style and the visual design, especially when it comes to the enemies which represent some of the most original character designs that I've seen in a long time. The environments are also incredibly detailed and exploring every nook and cranny is a real feast for the eyes. I'm generally a sucker for the dense and high-tech architecture of modern Japan so having another game that puts so much emphasis on environmental detail and faithful representation of real-life locations which, as a bonus, are shrouded in this visual eye-candy brought on by supernatural events that unfold throughout the story, is just the kind of thing I need to get my nipples fully erect.

If there's one thing that I'd have to complain in this game, then it's the repetitive nature of its campaign. It's not that big of a deal, because exploring all those beautifully rendered locations and fighting ghosts is still fun, but after cleansing like the 20th shrine in a row it does start to feel a bit shallow which I think is detrimental to the overall experience. Still, as it's typical to most games of this kind, you're free to just skip all that stuff. The game doesn't suffocate you with these optional collect-a-thons anyway. Definitely not to the degree that most of the modern open world games are doing. This game's levels tend to be much smaller in scale and more dense in details so I honestly didn't get that overwhelming sense of resignation whenever I opened up the world map.

Like, for comparison, whenever I open the world map in any given Ubisoft game, I suddely feel all sense of joy and wonder literally draining out of me, as if someone just sucked out the air out of my chest. It's the same kind of feeling I get whenever I come back to work after 2 weeks of holidays only to be greeted with 600 unread emails. All Ubisoft games literally give me this soul-crushing feeling when I try to play them these days and it's the reason why I don't even bother with them anymore. Games are supposed to provide a respite from the crushing realities of boring life, not choke you to death with more work.

Anyway, sorry for that tangent - the point is, Ghostwire Tokyo is NOT a game that gave me the kind of feeling as any Ubisoft game usually does. It was more like playing one of those early open world games, where side missions were just a fun distraction, and the game was still fun to explore because it was densely packed with interesting detail and the combat loop alone was enough to get you by. The free-roaming stuff is serviceable and optional, and should you wish to, you can just skip it and focus on the main meat of the game, which are the primary story missions.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Dog shit combat, boring collect-a-ton open world, average story. All it has is the visual/atmosphere but then again, you can just play any Yakuza/Judgment game and enjoy the same thing but better stuff. Thanks for the game marketing tho bot.

Last edited:
  • LOL

Skifi28

Game on PS5 has some of the worst image quality I've ever encountered in the last few years. It doesn't seem resolution related, it's like everything 10 meters away from you and further is grainy/dithered and I couldn't see anything. Thank God I tried the demo first, something went really wrong with the port.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

I started playing this and was liking it, but then I took a sneak peak at Elden Ring and shit...haven't touched Ghostwire Tokyo ever since.

i love you lion GIF by Music Choice

Last edited:
Just finished the game.

Was pretty bored of the game until the final chapter which made me cry.

Won't platinum it but I really enjoy explore the streets of Tokyo. Made me feel like I was having a virtual Tokyo trip.

The combat was pretty boring.

Top Bottom