• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Half life 2

mcjmetroid

It doesn't get very much later than this one.
This is my first time completing half life 2. I just want to give my impressions below.

Saying that I did play half life 2 on the PS3 years ago but never finished it.
Now with a Pc in 120fps I can say it's a very enjoyable experience however overall I have to say Black Mesa is the better experience.

Now I haven't played the original Half-life in some time. I decided to replay them all and started with Black Mesa as it is remake of the original game.

Black Mesa and I suppose half life's only problem is... It's too long and at certain points in the middle of the game it becomes very samey and repetitive until you reach the real alien world designs.

Half life 2 breaks up it's levels a little better but again has that middle part of the game. Chapter 8's "Sandtraps" until chapter 10 was a real bore. Even chapter 10 where you have a squad you can " command".. and they just end up getting in your way most of the time.
It just doesn't age well. Nice idea but annoying. Black Mesa had less gimmicks and the ones it did have like the dodge and long jump were amazing.

Also... Why the addition of the AUX power? Limited use of run and the flashlight?... Ok

Half life 2 has a lot of game breaking bugs as well. I came across the infamous train bug where a train is blocking your way and you have to restart from a previous save to get around it. It's quite a buggy game in general.

A lot of people complemented the level design of half life 2... Am it's very good but good for the time. You can get lost in half life 2 very easily. Sometimes it's intentional because it's a puzzle but sometimes you're looking for literally where to go only to find you were overlooking a mere ladder that blends into an area that's mostly grey anyway and I'm playing the game in 4k!
It's mostly good and challenges the player to finds where to go. But in some areas it needed a tad bit more polish.

I think half life 2 is the right length for this type of game. Half life 1 is about 2 times longer than half life 2 I'd say and yaaaa it's a bit too long.

I liked the vehicle sections in half life 2( the car one went on too long though), I like the puzzles for the most part and the final 2 chapters were a lot of fun.

My overall impressions are half life 2 is very good and no doubt came up with great new innovations for the time. I'd be lying though if I said I wasn't disappointed coming from Black Mesa.. ya I know Black Mesa came later and no it isn't just about the graphics.

I'm not even sure what black Mesa fixed that half life 1 didn't have.

SnapShot

black mesa remade entire sections of half-life 1, it's pretty good but also a very different experience compared to the original game

i find the original half life a bit more fun to replay than both black mesa and half-life 2 just because it has way less gimmicks and is more straightforward

also worth checking out opposing force for the first game, it takes everything about the first game and makes it even better, its shorter, less repetitive and more action-packed

Loke

also worth checking out opposing force for the first game, it takes everything about the first game and makes it even better, its shorter, less repetitive and more action-packed
Opposing Force is good but I'd say it's hardly better than Half-Life. Gameplay is unbalanced, it straight up rips off a section from the original game and of course the ludicrous way Shephard gain access to Lambda Core.

Cryio

Opposing Force is good but I'd say it's hardly better than Half-Life. Gameplay is unbalanced, it straight up rips off a section from the original game and of course the ludicrous way Shephard gain access to Lambda Core.
I'll agree with the man. Opposing Force is basically Half-Life 1, but everything is better this time. The levels, the pacing, the weapons, the enemies, the level design, the gameplay "gimmicks". It's just a better game all around. It's also shorter, so it doesn't outstay it's welcome

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Actually, Raising The Bar is the project that aim to remake the HL2's beta content from 2000-2003 that was cut in the final game, so the atmosphere and weapons, maps are different

Experience Half-Life 2 like never before. Return to City 17, held within the iron grip of the Combine and the Consul. Reunite with old friends, and enemies, and some of them brand new. Immerse yourself in a revitalised combat system featuring old arsenals made new again, with added features to raise the bar in gameplay. You've been waiting for quite some time, now. It's time to climb aboard.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Half-Life 2 is incredible and it’s a travesty that the franchise hasn’t continued to develop and take advantage of the latest technologies, VR notwithstanding.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
people keep telling me Alyx is pretty much HL3 , so yeah I bought it on sell , just waiting for my Quest3

It absolutely isn't. It's got an important story connection in the final few minutes.

But, it's still one of the best games so far this century, just an incredible experience in VR.

Laptop1991

Loved the game, played both the first and Half Life 2 at the time they released, great games, but wanting a Half Life 3 will never stop or end. for me anyway.

It absolutely isn't. It's got an important story connection in the final few minutes.

But, it's still one of the best games so far this century, just an incredible experience in VR.
so yeah, they should go all out and give us HL3 , I can only imagine how fucking awesome it would be.

I just played the Portal Collection on Switch. I was surprised that it was 1080p/60fps. It’s great but I gotta wonder why Valve haven’t made a modern port/remaster of Orange Box, LFD1+2, and Portal 1+2 for PlayStation/Xbox.

I’d buy LFD in 4K/60 in an instant, but I guess Valve just doesn’t care because Steam profits keep them sated.

Wildebeest

I just played the Portal Collection on Switch. I was surprised that it was 1080p/60fps. It’s great but I gotta wonder why Valve haven’t made a modern port/remaster of Orange Box, LFD1+2, and Portal 1+2 for PlayStation/Xbox.

I’d buy LFD in 4K/60 in an instant, but I guess Valve just doesn’t care because Steam profits keep them sated.
I don't think valve ever cared about things like that. Half-Life: Source is notoriously bad and unsupported.

Top Bottom