• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Halo 5

I love this game, but the lack of arena playlists is a killer. I really don't understand why they don't have something like team doubles that has been around forever.

The multiplayer is the best FPS multiplayer game out at the moment and it's up there with CE and 2 for me. It's far and away the most balanced shooter in a long time, the weapon sandbox balance is especially impressive, considering this is a sequel and there's naturally a large variety of weapons. In Halo 4 the Promethean weapons were mostly just counterparts to the UNSC and Covenant sets. But they re-tuned light rifle, bolt shot and suppressor and they all fit a niche. It definitely helped that they went back to even starts for Arena, this allowed them to make weapons a bit more powerful in certain respects as you're not always spawning with them. Automatics are actually useful for once, they might have lowered the TTK of the game overall, but it's better than having useless pea shooters and everyone using BRs only. The low aim assist on the pistol makes it a great utility weapon that raises the skill gap, it's super satisfying to land perfects with the pistol. On the subject of skill gap, this game has quite a large one and a steep curve, so I think that turns people off if they're not immediately successful like in twitch shooters, but I love the challenge this game provides.

No BTB maps was initially a disappointment, but forge is crazy this time around and people are able to build faithful re-makes and some impressive new maps as well. Warzone is a fun large scale tertiary game mode, it's great for cutting loose with large parties and warming up for arena play. I've never been one for vehicular combat, but taking out bosses and vehicles in this mode is good fun.

Campaign's story was disappointing no doubt, especially after the excellent "Hunt the Truth" lead up. It's quite strong in the moment to moment firefights and the level design is quite good. Not only did they tweak Promethean weapons, they also tweaked the Promethean combat puzzle greatly improving Promethean fights. The weak points on the Knights made fighting them fun as you had a small window to kill them with a headshot when you destroyed one of their weak points. Crawlers were always fun to shoot in the face not unlike Grunts and the Watchers were few and far between. This made the pacing of the Promethean fights less of a chore than Halo 4, I think people will start to appreciate the Promethean combat puzzle more when Firefight drops. Covenant were largely the same except for a hunter buff, which was fine as they're always fun to fight, though I wish Elites were a bit smarter. From a gameplay perspective, I think 5's shortcomings had to due with a lack of large set pieces like the two scarab fight in Halo 3, the Kraken seemed far more static compared to Scarab fights. Warthog run would have been welcome as well. I believe the campaign was better than 4, but didn't reach Bungie's campaigns.

JDHarbs

Probably my least favorite campaign in the series. It plays better than Halo 4, but the story is much worse to me. This is the only Halo campaign that I've played once and never touched again.

One of my favorite multiplayer suites in the series. Arena is the best Halo MP has been since Halo 2 except for BTB which just hasn't been the same since Halo 3. Warzone isn't fun to me, but it's the reason we have free DLC so that's still a plus in my book.

RAIDEN1

This was the one-game that I was going to get the X-Box-1 for, prior to this release there wasn't anything of huge interest....and after completing the campaign which I thought was quite good....it's another 3 year wait till the next part!

Trup1aya

The campaign leave much to be desired, but the MP, including Warzone is a ton of fun. Best in the series, and this is coming from a guy who has been with the series from day one.

Coming into the game this late, it might make sense for you to start with arena a before jumping into Warzone.
That way you should be skilled enough to hold your own throughout the first 3 req levels of a match (which is when BRs come on the field.

Soon enough you'll unlock a BR, which is really the only thing you need to perform well in Warzone.
The other stuff is icing on the cake, and stealing them from your opponents is half the fun.

Chris1

The campaign being pretty bad is universally agreed by basically everyone. I didn't hate it or think it was bad, it just wasn't good either but I feel like I'm the only person that didn't absolutely despise it at times lol.

The actual gameplay is amazing though and multiplayer/warzone is fun, I'm not really a halo multiplayer person but I had fun with it & still hop on for a few matches every now and then.

The campaign is really weak. It feels lifeless to me. Devoid of the emotion that I loved in Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST & Reach.

But the multiplayer is top notch. 343 has done a great job. But I'd like to see Big Team Battle be a ranked play list in every mi they season.

image.php

Oh, you

Quoted from a guy with a 343 masterchief avatar... yeah "oh you"

Maybe it is time to give freedom to i343 show what they can do in a new IP.

For this to happen they would have to rename the Studio. But who else could produce a Halo game then? Not sure if a lot of studios are interested.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Most I have been into MP game in a long time. I was a little disappointed by the campaign story, but the gameplay was great.

RowdyReverb

I liked the campaign better once I started to adopt a completionist approach to all of the data discs and stuff. It gave me a reason to explore all the nooks and crannies of the extensive environments

The campaign has some seriously awesome levels.

I hated the multiplayer the more I played it and I thought the story was terribly executed with rubbish characters.

I'd rather replay Halo 1 for the 100th time.

The Promethians were a big step up compared to Halo 4, really liked the changes they made to them (they felt pretty half-baked in Halo 4).

The story was so-so for me, but some of the environments were fantastic. Gameplay felt like Halo.

The multiplayer is amazing IMO, though I've mainly just played the arena modes and only a couple of games of Warzone (the REQ stuff isn't for me).

They lost me after Halo 3, I just couldn't get into that game and kept trying the new ones andfound myself trying to force the fact that I was enjoying them.

jet1911

The story was not super good but the levels combined with the new Spartan abilities were amazing. Really liked the MP too. I'm not playing as much as I used too but I have a feeling that Warzone Firefight will pull me back in.

dpunk3

Halo 4 left so much of a shit stain on my Xbox I had to get rid of it. Halo 5 was at the point where it had to go out of it's way to get my attention, which it didn't do. So I played a few hours with friends, and it's been gathering dust ever since.

Waste of $60, honestly.

Madness

Campaign is much better designed than Halo 4 was. Story wise it's probably the worst in the entire series even more than Halo 2 to me. Really failed with the story and the repetitive Warden fights.

Multiplayer probably the best in a decade or more. You have to remember every game is give and take.

It's probably the only game I still regularly play. I think there's a few issues that will be somewhat rectified soon. File share needs to come so we can quickly search maps and creation. Warzone Firefight is coming so at least we have something separate to PvP in the game. I think campaign was biggest failing. Not only with the fact there weren't any checkpoints or rally points to start, no scoring or theater. No real reason to play it. Sometimes I just liked playing certain missions over and over but I didn't get that urge with Halo 5 campaign.

Arena the ranks I've never liked. It is what it is though. There isn't many social options beyond Warzone. Only recently have we gotten things like Grifball and Fiesta. Let's see what comes in the next few updates.

Ascenion

Halo 5 is a complicated beast. It plays like a freakin dream, fixes Halo 4's more blaring issues and has some God Tier music Marty would be proud of (the trials OMG....sooooo goood). However the campaign is unforgivable almost. Again the campaign plays fine but the AI is utter garbage. They either don't do what I tell them or they screw up my independent fighting by walking in front of my shots or walking towards me while stuck or being targeted. They were literally only good for distracting the warden. Everything else I did by myself. I hope Halo 6 plays solo. As for the story it was trash in my opinion and this may be hyperbolic but it is how I felt. The story plays out like really bad fan fiction that in addition to being bad assumes the reader knows more than they do. If you aren't super into Halo and only play the games for story beats, Halo 5 is a terrible game. It drops you into the middle of a bunch of shit that will not make sense, doesn't introduce the new characters well, if at all and then has the nerve to be repetitive on top of that. This is disappointing coming off Halo 4 which had my second favorite campaign after Reach. I'm not sure if or even how the same person could've written both.

Haven't touched the MP yet as I'm waiting on my friends to get the time to play, but having finished the campaign on heroic and legendary I can imagine it will be good if all the mechanics carry over. So overall Halo 5 is mechanically sound and very very very fun to play, it's just mostly everything else that drags it down.

In warzone use the pistol as much as you can, AR is a last resort (that is till you can REQ a battle rifle). Always aim for the head once shields are down. Don't run out like a mad man every time you spawn and stick with teammates. Always use booster cards in arena and warzone games to earn as many REQ points as possible. Sell req cards of vehicle/weapons you don't like. Buy a variety of gold/silver/bronze packs to get a variety of unlocks/weapons to use.

Never jump out of a tank if an enemy jumps on you, go down with the tank. If you jump out of the tank and the enemies take it then you will piss off your teammates.

SRTtoZ

The campaign starts off well and then falls off a cliff once you realize that you're playing a majority of the game as a lifeless marine. Locke has ZERO personality and is just the dude following orders *yawn*. Its also one note the entire way with some real big pacing issues.

MP is where this game shines though, and when I say that I'm talking about Arena. Warzone is fun to just not give a shit about anything and maybe warm up before heading into arena but the REQ packs ruin it and give people who have been playing it to death since release a huge edge. Overall I just warm up in Warzone and then head into Arena if I haven't played in a few days just to get a feel for things again.

Oh and don't get me started on that bullshit HUNT FOR TRUTH campaign. Hunt for truth? LOL. More like Hunt for
Cortana
, which is another can of worms that I don''t feel like getting into but I didn't enjoy it at all. Can we get a new writer please? Thanks.

It left you wanting even more, but in good way. I honestly feel it's the best a Halo campaign has ever been. And anyone that pays attention to the lore, or even the game campaigns themselves, knew we were headed in this more alien direction, with more of the universe's secrets being revealed.

I can't see why anyone would be opposed to the game universe going in this direction. And the story as far as Blue Team are involved, was handled exceptionally well. They were careful not to overdo it. It was very much like the books. Locke and Fireteam Osiris ended up earning my respect in a major, major way. They were a great addition to the game's story, as well as the universe. And for folks that praise Halo gameplay, and have always hailed it as a strong point of the franchise, I don't see how anyone could even remotely begin to argue that Halo 5's gameplay isn't an absolute series' best by a country mile. People also complain about the warden fights, but they made sense to me, and worked well within the story being told. Better it be handled that way, rather than making up some random villain to face off against each time.

And don't even get me on the level design. Nothing in the franchise is touching it. There are so many ways to gain an advantage or to utilize your squad to your advantage, and I think it was entirely intentional that there was a way for you to use the environment design and the new movement capabilities to your advantage in order to escape the last warden fight. I believe 343i designed it that way on purpose, and then the story cutscene that followed shortly thereafter further captured the essence of what was being shown through gameplay. The Warden Eternal was relentless and simply wouldn't stop coming, until he was ultimately stopped by you know who instead. I think I loved this stuff more than most maybe because I have a more active imagination than some others. I play a game like Halo 5 and consider all the possibilities that can come from what transpired in the campaign. I look at the introduction of fireteam osiris and see the seeds being planted for the future that are more or less just being overlooked by many others, because they don't take the story, or the characters, seriously. And that isn't because 343i somehow didn't do a good job with them. I felt they did an excellent job with them. There is a point in which you focus on the mission, and don't waste too much time digging into each and every character's backstory or motivations, and I enjoyed thoroughly the way 343i utilized Cortana to do a bit of that in a mocking, condescending sort of way.

The gameplay overall is quite good. The new mechanics are hard to grasp at first for old time halo fans, but everything meshes well together. Really the matchmaking maps are probably the weakest part of the whole game. None are terrible but nothing memorable either. This game would be rocking with some decently new arena/slayer maps
and a mercenary playlist!

Warzone is a lot of fun but does require some time unlocking weapon certifications. Once you start getting reqs unlocked it gets a lot better.

Aomber

I didn't like it at all. I thought the campaign was completely forgettable as were the main characters, Warzone feels like a cheap unbalanced pay2win version of Big Team Battle due to the req system, and the arena modes had boring maps that were disconnected from the story. Played it for a couple weeks after release and haven't touched it since.

Cynn

This thread is a bit premature. Go into the arena before you judge the game. Also know that any new mode takes time to learn. (Especially Warzone) A BR and Magnum is all you need to do well there. Power weapon reqs are like super moves in a fighter. You don't need them to win but very very quickly you'll open up fun ones in the packs you earn.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Halo 5 has some of the best MP in the series, insanely good balance, solid maps, tons of depth. Campaign is a fun ride as always, but the heart of the game is MP.

RexNovis

Banned
Just played through the campaign recently and it felt like an absolute slog. Whoever at 343i thought it was a good idea to recycle boss fights like that needs a kick to the groin. Not only are those fights tedious but its no fun whatsoever and it flat out unbalanced/unfair at higher difficulties thanks to the horrid squad AI in the game. I mean yea the game felt fluid to play but what the hell is the point if the campaign is more exasperating than it is fun?

On top of that matchmaking is still completely broken for people on our side of the ocean. Just baffling that they have done nothing to fix it.

Gator86

Just played through the campaign recently and it felt like an absolute slog. Whoever at 343i thought it was a good idea to recycle boss fights like that needs a kick to the groin. Not only are those fights tedious but its no fun whatsoever and it flat out unbalanced/unfair at higher difficulties thanks to the horrid squad AI in the game. I mean yea the game felt fluid to play but what the hell is the point if the campaign is more exasperating than it is fun?

On top of that matchmaking is still completely broken for people on our side of the ocean. Just baffling that they have done nothing to fix it.

My opinion on the campaign and, I think, game in general is pretty different than yours, but you're absolutely right here. A game composed only of the Warden fights is the worst title of 2015. Honestly, the person in charge of them should probably be demoted, at least. They're just absolute trash in every way.

Same for the friendly AI - it doesn't even reach the level of a PS2 game. I'm unsure as to how the game was released with these two issues in their current form.

While i haven't completed the campaign yet, i think the first few minutes of the game really show how 343 have taken the series in the wrong direction (although it started with Halo 4) Specifically, the games intro cutscene from 2:10 onwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvn1k6__yTc

What those Spartan 4's do there are things that it would be difficult to imagine even Spartan 2's pulling off; the ones who actually are extremely enhanced and trained supersoldiers. They decided to have Spartan 4's doing things that it would be considered amazing feats for a Spartan 2. They have fairly normal humans just running through a large force of Covenant, all the while dodging things, doing backflips, rolls and powerslides, casually taking out everything infront of them with no real effort...and then in the next mission you have Spartan 2's who for their 'cool' introduction just
float through space and smash a window
. It's like they've changed Halo into a "Look how awesome the Spartan 4's we created are!" focus and having them seem better than all the other Spartans.

That, along with completely ruining the general aesthetics of the universe (especially the UNSC, which they completely missed the point with) have made me lose interest in what used to be one of my favourite series. Even the simple things seem to be done wrong, like how they were going to have spartans high fiving each other.

singhr1

Probably the first Halo game in which the multiplayer is so addicting that I have still not gotten back to beat the campaign on Legendary. I loved both parts but man Arena is just so solid.

I'm usually the BTB guy so I thought I'd be deep in the Warzone camp but man this Arena experience is second to none. Still play Warzone but 4v4 is my bread and butter in Halo 5, even though I'm just pretty good.

Kalentan

While i haven't completed the campaign yet, i think the first few minutes of the game really show how 343 have taken the series in the wrong direction (although it started with Halo 4) Specifically, the games intro cutscene from 2:10 onwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvn1k6__yTc

What those Spartan 4's do there are things that it would be difficult to imagine even Spartan 2's pulling off; the ones who actually are extremely enhanced and trained supersoldiers. They decided to have Spartan 4's doing things that it would be considered amazing feats for a Spartan 2. They have fairly normal humans just running through a large force of Covenant, all the while dodging things, doing backflips, rolls and powerslides, casually taking out everything infront of them with no real effort...and then in the next mission you have Spartan 2's who for their 'cool' introduction just
float through space and smash a window
. It's like they've changed Halo into a "Look how awesome the Spartan 4's we created are!" focus and having them seem better than all the other Spartans.

That, along with completely ruining the general aesthetics of the universe (especially the UNSC, which they completely missed the point with) have made me lose interest in what used to be one of my favourite series.

The same Spartan 2's that were in a ghost, got flipped in the air and then shot their sniper rifle, richoect off a bunch of terrain and then headshoted a Covenant? Those S2's? They could easily achieve the same as in the cutscenes but wouldn't because S2's are more discrete like in Blue Teams intro cutscene.

Yeah, I can't imagine them pulling it off. Also S4s aren't fairly normal humans, they've gone through the augmentation process and the MJLONIR helps them close the gap between themselves and the 2's.

Ok Multiplayer with sadly a lot of flaws.

Bad Campaign.

Technically not really impressive for a 1st party game. The list goes on and on.

Overall a pretty forgettable game.

Was my last Halo Ego Shooter for now. Wont fall into another hype train and PR lies.

Played some MCC MP the last couple of days and found that MP way more fun. The MM times are really bad there sadly.
Agreed.

shoreu

The thing about the REQ system being a crutch for free DLC, to me it basically seems like they held back most Halo standard staples, mixed it with REQ for profit items rather than actually you know, making more content for free. Does nobody notice this?

343 once again did well with gun play and movement, aiming mistakes aside but they still can't make a good campaign. Waves are just really boring and no matter how big things look, doesn't mean anything if your path is a straight tunnel to no pay off.

you don't have to pay a dime so no one cares

The same Spartan 2's that were in a ghost, got flipped in the air and then shot their sniper rifle, richoect off a bunch of terrain and then headshoted a Covenant? Those S2's? They could easily achieve the same as in the cutscenes but wouldn't because S2's are more discrete like in Blue Teams intro cutscene.

Yeah, I can't imagine them pulling it off. Also S4s aren't fairly normal humans, they've gone through the augmentation process and the MJLONIR helps them close the gap between themselves and the 2's.

You can't imagine which pulling it off?

While S4's aren't fully normal humans anymore, they certainly aren't supersoldiers to the same degree Spartan 2's are. It just feels like they're shoving in things to make S4's look better than Spartan 2s and that just makes them feel out of place. The tone of them just doesn't feel like a good direction for the series to me, with things like general casual attitude of them in Halo 4, after-battle high fives and victory poses. "Needlessly Edgy and cool" would be one way of putting what it seems they're doing with them, i suppose.

If that cutscene had S2's instead, i wouldn't really have any problems with it as the whole point of them is they're elite, highly trained soldiers created entirely for combat. S4s seem closer to normal humans in a fancy suit. I haven't read all the EU stuff so i'm just basing that mostly off the games.

Best MP in the series, and by some distance.
Bungie moving on is the best thing to happen to halo... H5 MP is sublime.

But!

It's BRUTAL on newcomers, you need to put some serious hours in for it to really click imo.
Then you'll be thrusting, dodging, pounding and head shotting like a boss.

Computer

Halo 5 MP has me playing everyday. Something I have not done since Halo 3. I can get 30 kills with just a BR in warzone. You cant expect to slay in a game that has a big skill gap on day one.

I've never been a big Halo fan, or really become that hooked. But this one hooked me with its online, and the only reason I haven't played any more is due to personal matters and a lot of other games I've had to play.

The multiplayer is really good.

The campaign, though: That was really underwhelming. I didn't like how open the levels were, and didn't enjoy fighting the annoying new enemies. The story also wasn't very interesting.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Campaign wise, I feel it has the best small scale levels in the series. Levels that dont feature any vehicles I'm talking about. The encounter and level design is downright sublime in these, and reminded me both of Max Payne 3 and Syndicate at times. I didnt feel like the scale was large enough in the vehicle levels though. It was shorter than I'd like and devoted too much of its short time to a repeated boss fight. I enjoyed fighting the Prometheans a lot more than I did in Halo 4.

Multiplayer is the best Halo has ever been. It still plays like Halo, but you have a lot more options movement wise, which opens open the gameplay quite a bit. The weapon balance is easily the best in a Halo game and enjoy the new additions they've made to the weapon catalogue. I love the REQ weapons that might totally change the normal dynamics of a weapon, it allows them to go pretty out there with some ideas.

Top Bottom