• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Horizon Zero Dawn, AKA Bore-izon Zero Charm

psorcerer

Banned
Funny thread.
The whole purpose of HZD was to show off the best graphics of the generation. And it still holds, as no released game comes even close to what is shown there.

Agreed. Like most Sony exclusive games, this one is hyped af. Boring. Especially, when you compare it to Zelda BotW. It’s a freaking joke how that trash game got overhyped.

it was already long enough before a wild Pikmin appeared with the classic "Horizon-Zelda" comparison.

What is a freaking joke is seeing Link climbing vertical walls barehand as if a radioactive spider had bitten him.

it was already long enough before a wild Pikmin appeared with the classic "Horizon-Zelda" comparison.

What is a freaking joke is seeing Link climbing vertical walls barehand as if a radioactive spider had bitten him.

Yeah, they should have added a grappling hook mechanic. Like a re-do of the hookshot. I felt like Nintendo cheaped out and over simplified the climbing.

iorek21

I agree with OP for different reasons.

I actually like the story and general presentation of HZD; what I can’t stand is its gameplay.

Combat felt weird and Aloy was very bad to control

HotPocket69

Banned
The bow and arrow combat was cool and fun for the most part and it is truly a gorgeous fucking game. Robo animal design was aces too.

The "melee" combat was utter shit. In fact, Id go so far as to say most of the combat was easily broken once you got that fucking whistle ability. *Whistle *Stab *Whistle *Stab *Whistle *Stab.

The dialogue and voice acting especially is stale. Though the backstory of how everything came to be was interesting, I couldn't help but notice pretty much every single character was a PERSON OF COLOR or a WOMYN. The only two white people were the father figure who died within the first ten minutes and that dopey cocky bearded douchebag who was crushing on you. Guerilla knew exactly what they were doing when they hopped on this Woke Train and its embarrassingly noticeable.

Too bad they royally fucked up with the cultural appropriation. Don't you remember learning about all of those Native Americans that used bungee cords for necklaces and metal pieces for armor? Absolutely inexcusable.

Ultimately it really was simply just a mega pretty Far Cry clone with the fat trimmed off.

Ill play the sequel.

Last edited:
Let's get some of the good aspects out of the way first. The game looks great. With HDR on a nice 4K TV, this game is quite the looker. It also plays well. I'm a fan of the gameplay itself. Sneaking around and setting up traps to take out hordes of animal machines is satisfying. Hacking them to ride them is satisfying. Leveling up to upgrade skills and all the standard game mechanics are done well.

But, the game is boring as fucking AF. The story is just so bad so far. I'm about 8 hours in or so. The beginning of it where you're being brought up by Rost is done pretty well. Their relationship is interesting and keeps you invested in the early story. Once you break off from him and re-join the rest of the civilization that has shunned you your whole life, it all plummets.

Every person you talk to has nothing but boring shit to say. The lore of the "all-mother" and everything surrounding it with the matriarchs is just devoid of anything interesting. The actors read off the lines in a monotone way that makes the already boring dialog even worse. I've already gotten to the point where I just skip all the dialog and just go around killing things. While this isn't a huge problem, it's just become a pretty Ubisoft map checklist game and that isn't too appealing.

How many times am I realistically going to want to stop on the road to find someone who has a family member that went missing, only to scan the ground for a purple GPS route to slowly walk me across the map to find them? It's the same setup every time.

Whilst I agree that the side quests aren't the best, the combat is amazing. Going up against some of the larger enemies using an array of different traps and arrow types is a thrilling and joyous experience. Game also looks amazing on my Pro and 4k TV. Overall I thought it was a very good game that could probably do with a little less filler. 8/10 for me.

Lastyou1

Banned
Funny thread.
The whole purpose of HZD was to show off the best graphics of the generation. And it still holds, as no released game comes even close to what is shown there.

The Witcher 3 does open world way better.

Spider-Man has better facial animations and New York feels alive and colorful.

HZD has amazing textures and great body 3D models. Animations and facial animations and open world environments are barred, empty and void of artistic and technical merits.

The game is great, overall, but Sony did better exclusives. God of War and Spider-Man are way better than HZD in both combat, technical level and gameplay.

Bryank75

Banned
I have defended this game a lot.... it’s not better than BOTW because there is so much more to do in BOTW and the Han to hand combat is better in BOTW.

However Horizon does excel in certain areas, such as enemy design.... the robot creatures are incredible and each offers a unique experience. Even the longnecks are very fun but easy puzzles.

I enjoyed Aloy as a non sexualized female lead and I loved the layered story and the old world facilities you explore.

Human combat really needs to be looked at before the next game and made into an enjoyable experience. They also need to make the world more interactive and add more activities than collecting stuff.....

More traversal options that feel fun would be great too....

nkarafo

It's a grear current gen graphics demo for 3D character models at least

johan-lithvall-hrz-07johan-232-fhd.jpg

horizon-character-art-aloyvanilla-turnaround.jpg

Last edited:

Zeusexy

Let's get some of the good aspects out of the way first. The game looks great. With HDR on a nice 4K TV, this game is quite the looker. It also plays well. I'm a fan of the gameplay itself. Sneaking around and setting up traps to take out hordes of animal machines is satisfying. Hacking them to ride them is satisfying. Leveling up to upgrade skills and all the standard game mechanics are done well.

But, the game is boring as fucking AF. The story is just so bad so far. I'm about 8 hours in or so. The beginning of it where you're being brought up by Rost is done pretty well. Their relationship is interesting and keeps you invested in the early story. Once you break off from him and re-join the rest of the civilization that has shunned you your whole life, it all plummets.

Every person you talk to has nothing but boring shit to say. The lore of the "all-mother" and everything surrounding it with the matriarchs is just devoid of anything interesting. The actors read off the lines in a monotone way that makes the already boring dialog even worse. I've already gotten to the point where I just skip all the dialog and just go around killing things. While this isn't a huge problem, it's just become a pretty Ubisoft map checklist game and that isn't too appealing.

How many times am I realistically going to want to stop on the road to find someone who has a family member that went missing, only to scan the ground for a purple GPS route to slowly walk me across the map to find them? It's the same setup every time.
I agree, and that's a shame to be honest. I expected so much more from this game but it ended up disappointing me in every aspect except for the (non melee) combat. As someone else said, it's beautiful and boring.

Lastyou1

Banned
The open world in horizon is among the most artistically beautiful in the genre and shits over the competition in terms of visuals and art.

What competition?

RDR2, GTA5, Spider-Man?

HZD open world is a desert full of red bushes and abandoned and destroyed scientific bases.
The expansion added snowy landscapes, but they are empty too.

You really have to have low standards to define HZD environment so good to shit the competition.

That alone shits at everything HZD does in terms of open environments. And it's not even the best depicted open world.

danielberg

Neophyte
HZD open world is a desert full of red bushes and abandoned and destroyed scientific bases.
The desert claim/lie as well as you mentioning the DLC (out of nowhere) to talk about snow environments as if they are none in the main game makes me think you havent even played the game best case scenario you played it once years ago... at best.. at worst you occasionally watched a lets play.
But yeah different taste and all so lets agree to disagree

Last edited:

Lastyou1

Banned
It's one of the best games of this generation. Hell yall talking bout?

Based on what?

Combat is awful, badly animated and with terrible hit boxes with easily exploitable shortcomings and terrible AI.

The environments are barren, empty, ugly and forgettable for the most part. The cities are badly designed with a uselessly artificial vertical development.

It's a good game with good ideas and great concepts. But it's not a masterpiece and many other ps4 exclusives are better.

Lastyou1

Banned
The desert claim/lie as well as you mentioning the DLC (out of nowhere) to talk about snow environments as if they are none in the main game makes me think you havent even played the game best case scenario you played it once years ago... at best.. at worst you occasionally watched a lets play.
But yeah different taste and all so lets agree to disagree

In played the game a year ago, but it was so forgettable that... I forgot many things about it.

Instead of claiming easy likes, why don't you post some examples of remarkable environments in the game?

Like something that isn't a cave, or an abandoned science research base o building in ruin all of them with recycled assets and textures?

Yes the main game had a small snowy region, and with that, what? Is it really a good standard? Was it really so important? Are your standards so low?

The game is boring, mainly because its visuals are boring and repetitive for the most part and a cool citadel or some cool beast design is not going to change that.

It's a solid 7/10 game that should not even be compared to GoW 2018 and the likes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Based on what?

Combat is awful, badly animated and with terrible hit boxes with easily exploitable shortcomings and terrible AI.

The environments are barren, empty, ugly and forgettable for the most part. The cities are badly designed with a uselessly artificial vertical development.

It's a good game with good ideas and great concepts. But it's not a masterpiece and many other ps4 exclusives are better.

Based on a general consensus of Gaming Journalist and everyday gamers combined. It's okay if you don't like a game the majority likes.

VertigoOA

Banned
Good combat. Enemy design and encounters were all solid. Yea the melee combat was ass but that wasn’t really were the meat of the combat is.

The characters, narrative and linear ancient Prince of Persia-like platforming was a bore thru and thru. Movement across terrain was wonky also.

Agreed.

Would give it a C rating honestly.

Bloodborne will forever be the best PS4 exclusive... maybe death stranding is capable of dethroning it.

Whatever ... they’re all shit compared to Bloodborne. Peace

Last edited:

Lastyou1

Banned
Based on a general consensus of Gaming Journalist and everyday gamers combined. It's okay if you don't like a game the majority likes.
If we go with "general" consensus, Overwatch is a masterpiece.

I asked you what do you think the game does well in a unique way.
Nothing less, nothing more.

autoduelist

Bought a selection of Playstation Hit games recently (GOW, Detroit and Horizon) and this is the only one that I still haven't played.

Played the other two and saved this one for last, maybe because something tells me it is the worst of the bunch narrative wise.

Also some friends who have similar tastes to mine told me the story indeed sucks balls.

So, not sure when I'm going to play this tbh.

If you like scifi the lore is fantastic.

I really couldn't get into it, I regret buying it digital since I would have sold it by now. Maybe I'll give it a try again sometime.

Discusguy

Game was definitely over hyped in graphics and gameplay. Got through the whole game whistling the enemies close than stealth kill. Rinse and repeat. That being said I did enjoy the game enough to finish it. Didn’t bother with the DLC.

I personally loved it. It had a few faults, but over all one of the best games I've played recently.
By contrast I hated BOTW. I finished it, but damn was it a total slog. Worst Zelda I have ever played, and only a mediocre open world game in general.

Lukin1978

One of the best games of this generation. I'm thinking of restarting this soon do all the side stuff explore a bit. I rushed through the main story the first playthrough.

M.W.

I got about half way through this and stopped. While pretty and somewhat unique, it’s boring. Not a bad game per se, just not really that much fun to play.

Keihart

I'm kinda right there with the "borefest" crowd. The game is alright because it looks beautiful and the combat loop is really good and has some unique things but it lacks worldbuilding, and i don't mean that it lacks lore, but that what you do while playing and the world around you feel disconnected.

There are no real incentives that tie the story with haunting the robots and the gameplay loop for example.
Weapons are only that , weapons. They have no interactions with anything else.
Armor choices and skill tree are very superfluous.
Traveling the map is tedious.
And obviously the writing and the quests, how fucking boring can they get? i had just played TW3 before HZD and the difference was too much.

Look, i had fun with the combat, but someway along my play through i lost all interest in whatever the NPCs where talking about and started to hunt every big fucking robot i could with whatever equipment i had, it was fun but then it became pointless because i already knew how to kill everything , only challenge left was if enemies started to get more health points.

The game in my mind is at it's best when focusing on combat and how unique it is.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm kinda right there with the "borefest" crowd. The game is alright because it looks beautiful and the combat loop is really good and has some unique things but it lacks worldbuilding, and i don't mean that it lacks lore, but that what you do while playing and the world around you feel disconnected.

There are no real incentives that tie the story with haunting the robots and the gameplay loop for example.
Weapons are only that , weapons. They have no interactions with anything else.
Armor choices and skill tree are very superfluous.
Traveling the map is tedious.
And obviously the writing and the quests, how fucking boring can they get? i had just played TW3 before HZD and the difference was too much.

Look, i had fun with the combat, but someway along my play through i lost all interest in whatever the NPCs where talking about and started to hunt every big fucking robot i could with whatever equipment i had, it was fun but then it became pointless because i already knew how to kill everything , only challenge left was if enemies started to get more health points.

The game in my mind is at it's best when focusing on combat and how unique it is.

Has a Lost Planet vibe.

Melubas

I was disappointed with it, but mainly due to the insane hype around it. To me it was just Another open world game with beautiful Graphics. The story was passable but nothing special, and I didn't care for the characters, they all seemed pretty bland to me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was disappointed with it, but mainly due to the insane hype around it. To me it was just Another open world game with beautiful Graphics. The story was passable but nothing special, and I didn't care for the characters, they all seemed pretty bland to me.
If you hype a game based on other people hyping then you are bound to be disappointed. I'm hyping Astral Chain based on the gameplay footage and info I myself getting, heck people barely talking about the game but I'm still hype for it because I really like what I'm seeing so far from all gameplay footage.

Melubas

If you hype a game based on other people hyping then you are bound to be disappointed. I'm hyping Astral Chain based on the gameplay footage and info I myself getting, heck people barely talking about the game but I'm still hype for it because I really like what I'm seeing so far from all gameplay footage.

Yeah I can kind of agree with that. But sometimes you can't help getting hyped up by good reviews and people on forums praising a Product.

Hestar69

Agreed. Like most Sony exclusive games, this one is hyped af. Boring. Especially, when you compare it to Zelda BotW. It’s a freaking joke how that trash game got overhyped.
Yeah,no. Horizon BLOWS BOTW away.

BOTW was an empty world with hardly anything to do in it with no dungeons. Add in the broken weapons system (seriously how does the hylian shield break) ,an annnoying stamina meter,and you get an okay game but since it's zelda people love it and act like its a 10/10 game.

I've been a zelda fan since the first nes game and even love zelda 2,but BOTW coulda been so much better and blows in comparison to Horizon.I have high hopes for BTOW 2 since it's rumored to have dungeons and hopefully more story/cut scenes.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah I can kind of agree with that. But sometimes you can't help getting hyped up by good reviews and people on forums praising a Product.
When RDR2 came out people hyping the crap out the game, calling it "game of the generation" and most reviewers giving the game 10/10 but I played lot of games in my life so I know my own taste and RDR2 definitely was not my type of game and reading and watching some reviews they were praising the sim like gameplay and how "immersive it is but to me those are not positive points. Looking at score alone doesn't really tell you whats the game is about so its better watch or read the actual reviews, sometimes the positive point for reviewer might be negative points for you.

Last edited:

jtt935

An ok but overhyped game. Robot dinosaurs were cool and I enjoy when a bow and arrow are your main weapons. Aloy was an incredibly dull protagonist however.

Keihart

BOTW was an empty world with hardly anything to do in it with no dungeons. Add in the broken weapons system (seriously how does the hylian shield break) ,an annnoying stamina meter,and you get an okay game but since it's zelda people love it and act like its a 10/10 game.

I've been a zelda fan since the first nes game and even love zelda 2,but BOTW coulda been so much better and blows in comparison to Horizon.I have high hopes for BTOW 2 since it's rumored to have dungeons and hopefully more story/cut scenes.
You are drunk, BoTW is a lesson in modern systemic gameplay. Saying that BoTW is empty is like saying that Minecraft is empty, fucking games are full of shit to do that you can hardly decide what to do first.

I don't want HZD to be like zelda, but comparing their worlds is pretty silly, HZD is like a diorama and BoTW a full blown Holodeck in comparison.

Gotta link these 2 videos because the channel is great, and because they explain pretty well why and how this game is great if you don't get it:

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I'm with you about the dull story. The main character never really shows Amy emotions beyond vaguely angry. And just wait until the part where you have to crawl around an old dungeon listening to audiologs that explain the story to you for three hours.

DelireMan7

Was really hype for it and was really not disappointed. But I can get why people find it boring or do not like it.

On one hand :
  • The combat against the machines is amazing. Loved every fight, testing different weapons, aiming for weak points etc...
  • Really like the story/lore, especially trying to understand what happens on Earth that led to this world (also I was writing a story in post apocalyptic setting so it has some echo with and made it very special for me). I was excepting something basic but was surprised on how it turns.
  • First game with photo mode for me. Didn't really see the interest of it at the beginning... Surprised myself spending hours in it...
  • Aloy... Say whatever you want about her but I find her amazing

On the other hand :
  • Faces during dialogues are really inexpressive.
  • Combat against humans is really boring.
  • Search for ancient artifact is boring and give you nothing (some upgrade for weapons which were outclassed by those I looted on enemies...). Except for the 12 hologram (the story it tells was interesting)
  • Exploration is really not rewarding. I went in every corner of the map but most of the time you find nothing. I played BOTW after and I really wish Horizon would has been like that.

But still it will be one of the best game of the generation for me.

Hestar69

You are drunk, BoTW is a lesson in modern systemic gameplay. Saying that BoTW is empty is like saying that Minecraft is empty, fucking games are full of shit to do that you can hardly decide what to do first.

I don't want HZD to be like zelda, but comparing their worlds is pretty silly, HZD is like a diorama and BoTW a full blown Holodeck in comparison.

Gotta link these 2 videos because the channel is great, and because they explain pretty well why and how this game is great if you don't get it:

Yeah,no. "zelda makes it fun to traverse" Nope! Climbing with a stanima meter was a pain in the ass,I don't know any of my friends who enjoyed that.Who ever thought that and weapon breaking were good ideas,should not be allowed to work on the sequel.

The enemy variety also was meh.. Zelda BOTW isn't a bad game,I enjoyed it.But HZD is 100% times better. I'm sure BOTW 2 will be amazing,as they will learn from their mistakes on the first.

meirl

Banned

This is a joke post, right?

Hestar69

This is a joke post, right?
Joke how? I've been playing zelda since the First NES game and BOTW was a huge let down.I really do not see the hype and praise it gets and think Horizon was easily better in every way. zelda 2 > BOTW.I'd even put Skyward sword ahead of it.

Last edited:

llien

I played on normal PS4 but in HDR mode and graphics is stunning, not to say, shocking, given it runs on weakerthan7870.

Story was meh, but at least we got good representation of ethnic minorities, women in science, Muslims and non-whites, as well as at least some hint on existence of female homosexuals.

Basing protagonist on an exceptionally beautiful model and then pretending you are not objectifying women, eh, cool trick guys, but puritanism, that restricts women at how they could dress and how much they want to reveal, the crux of patriarchy sold as "progressiveness" is embarrassing.

Don't even get me started on fat acceptance. heck, protagonist not only has a face of an angel, but will hammer people into depression by demonstrating unobtainable body standards.
She doesn't have a single tatoo, her haircut screams patriarchy, are you seriously telling me a kick ass hunter that spends days kicking robot and white male asses would have time to look after hair that long?
And her hair, of course, is not of color of heteronontraditional genderfluid freedomality, but traditional patriarchal heteronormal male gaze dream: blonde. UPDATE: it's even worse, she's ginger.

Harr harr harrrrr breaindead macho like bravado from a number of female lead was simply sad. Women could be strong without having them look like the most stupid of men.

In an equal world, ruled, as it should be in equal worlds, by women (the matriarchs), rulers of the cities were still men, non-white, but neither non-muslim and likely heterosexual. What a joke.

Last edited:

xool

boring, obnoxious protagonist
Aloy who lacks of any charm or vulnerability like a human being
And make Aloy more likeable and sexy.

I guess people either like sassy girl next door types or they don't .. I thought there was some god writing in Aloy's character - especially her more snappy iteractions, like with Nils

I've restarted and quit the game two or three times now. There is something very unsatisfying about the bow combat which I have a hard time putting my finger on.
Absolutely right - there's a painful wait for the bow to "snap" into ready state - and if you are too early it's a piss weak short shot.

It's fine for sneak sniping (when it feels good), but a pain for other combat

.. I feel the game really needs one "go to" weapon + tools , rather than a dozen types of bow/sling all of which are very situational

During my first attempt at a play through, I made it past the opening zone and bought a map from a vendor which litters your map with points of interest which is very reminiscent of Ubisoft open world design.

No question they failed to deliver a good open world - outside monster encounters it's empty, and the number of actual quests is pitiful tbh.

Also don't even mention the non-cauldron inside sections - remember those - walk around picking up tapes to listen to .. a lot can be excused for being their first non-FPS. It's difficult to go from zero to hero in one step. I'm hopeful for a better sequel

The dialogue and voice acting especially is stale. Though the backstory of how everything came to be was interesting, I couldn't help but notice pretty much every single character was a PERSON OF COLOR or a WOMYN. The only two white people were the father figure who died within the first ten minutes and that dopey cocky bearded douchebag who was crushing on you. Guerilla knew exactly what they were doing when they hopped on this Woke Train and its embarrassingly noticeable.
LOL you forgot Teb - the white pansy you save in the tutorial and who spends the rest of the game literally apologising for existing ..

Tbh I though quiet a few of those female persons of color were cute (Talanah Khane Padish I'm thinking about you now) - if this is the effect of SJW inclusionism and 'forcing' I'm all for it..

xool

I played on normal PS4 but in HDR mode and graphics is stunning, not to say, shocking, given it runs on weakerthan7870.

Story was meh, but at least we got good representation of ethnic minorities, women in science, Muslims and non-whites, as well as at least some hint on existence of female homosexuals.

Basing protagonist on an exceptionally beautiful model and then pretending you are not objectifying women, eh, cool trick guys, but puritanism, that restricts women at how they could dress and how much they want to reveal, the crux of patriarchy sold as "progressiveness" is embarrassing.

Don't even get me started on fat acceptance. heck, protagonist not only has a face of an angel, but is hammer people into depression by demonstrating unobtainable body standards.
She doesn't have a single tatoo, her haircut screams patriarchy, are you seriously telling me a kick ass hunter that spends days kicking robot and white male asses would have time to look after hair that long?
And her hair, of course, is not of color of heteronontraditional genderfluid freedomality, but traditional patriarchal heteronormal male gaze dream: blonde.

Harr harr harrrrr breaindead macho like bravado from a number of female lead was simply sad. Women could be strong without having them look like the most stupid of men.

In an equal world, ruled, as it should be in equal worlds, by women (the matriarchs), rulers of the cities were still men, non-white, but neither non-muslim and likely heterosexual. What a joke.
She's ginger.

Theory disproved.

Top Bottom