• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Horizon Zero Dawn, AKA Bore-izon Zero Charm

MagnesG

Banned
I played on normal PS4 but in HDR mode and graphics is stunning, not to say, shocking, given it runs on weakerthan7870.

Story was meh, but at least we got good representation of ethnic minorities, women in science, Muslims and non-whites, as well as at least some hint on existence of female homosexuals.

Basing protagonist on an exceptionally beautiful model and then pretending you are not objectifying women, eh, cool trick guys, but puritanism, that restricts women at how they could dress and how much they want to reveal, the crux of patriarchy sold as "progressiveness" is embarrassing.

Don't even get me started on fat acceptance. heck, protagonist not only has a face of an angel, but will hammer people into depression by demonstrating unobtainable body standards.
She doesn't have a single tatoo, her haircut screams patriarchy, are you seriously telling me a kick ass hunter that spends days kicking robot and white male asses would have time to look after hair that long?
And her hair, of course, is not of color of heteronontraditional genderfluid freedomality, but traditional patriarchal heteronormal male gaze dream: blonde. UPDATE: it's even worse, she's ginger.

Harr harr harrrrr breaindead macho like bravado from a number of female lead was simply sad. Women could be strong without having them look like the most stupid of men.

In an equal world, ruled, as it should be in equal worlds, by women (the matriarchs), rulers of the cities were still men, non-white, but neither non-muslim and likely heterosexual. What a joke.
I don't understand your point, are you saying she's a pretender? I agree though if they're gonna sexualize her they're doing it in a half ass way (I don't think that the case though). At least she's not ugly otherwise the game's gonna bomb hard just based on that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
SoulCalibur-VI-Image-de-Ivy.jpg

If Alloy looked like this I would have cared about her boring ass game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If we go with "general" consensus, Overwatch is a masterpiece.

I asked you what do you think the game does well in a unique way.
Nothing less, nothing more.

That's the trick you are doing. The bolded isn't necessary. It did a lot of things great, but it's all been done before (which is 100% okay with me).

- The Vistas
- The robot designs and animations
- The Story line was great
- The graphics were top notch
- Fighting the robots was super fun
- Just riding on the back of a robot horse was fun
- The bow and arrow gameplay was tight and easy to remember.

MagnesG

Banned
Tone down your sexism.
Only men (and then, only cis) can be ugly, every woman is beautiful in her own way.
Maybe that was rude, my only intent was to get my point across though, and I think it’s wrong for people to just gonna guess that at face value, it’s a purely from videogame perspective. I mean, sex just sells.

SoulCalibur-VI-Image-de-Ivy.jpg

If Alloy looked like this I would have cared about her boring ass game.
Felt like you always gonna find your way to post some lewd pictures. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
You’re not gonna ever scale down your pics aren’t you.

llien

Maybe that was rude, my only intent was to get my point across though, and I think it’s wrong for people to just gonna guess that at face value, it’s a purely from videogame perspective. I mean, sex just sells.
So does cocaine, it sells.
People are weak.
That's why government needs to intervene and make it illegal.

It is 1:1 with male gaze anf objectification of women.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I really enjoyed the game alot, was one of the first ps4 games i played after i bought my console. Saying that somethings seemed very odd to me, like Aloy at the start of the game, she just looked weird to me, her head on her shoulders looked way to big and instead of a girl she remeindeed me of that feral kid out of mad max 2, the one with the boomerang.

The skill tree's need some serious work and some off the human AI enemy camps was very poor.

Besides that i thought it was a wonderful game, lookign very forward to the next one.

MagnesG

Banned
So does cocaine, it sells.
People are weak.
That's why government needs to intervene and make it illegal.

It is 1:1 with male gaze anf objectification of women.
Wut. So you’re comparing it with cocaine? I feel like I’m losing you here. Doing crack harms your body, what does objectification of women do? How are we gonna breed without doing so? Are we just gonna cease to exist at some point? It’s in human nature for fucks sake.

Still, we’re talking about videogames here, something is seriously wrong with you going with these extreme views.

zcaa0g

Banned
You are drunk, BoTW is a lesson in modern systemic gameplay. Saying that BoTW is empty is like saying that Minecraft is empty, fucking games are full of shit to do that you can hardly decide what to do first.

I don't want HZD to be like zelda, but comparing their worlds is pretty silly, HZD is like a diorama and BoTW a full blown Holodeck in comparison.

Gotta link these 2 videos because the channel is great, and because they explain pretty well why and how this game is great if you don't get it:

The only people that like BoTW are Nintendo fan boys. It's a child's game with Voodoo 2 era graphics

Ramzy

I couldn't get into this game, despite trying 4 or 5 times to set some time aside for it. Maybe it's because i played and completed too many open world games (BoTW, RDR2, Super Mario Odyssey, Far Cry 5, and Spider-Man) in the last 12 months, but I couldn't manage to get interested in the gameplay loop. Graphics were nice, main theme was fantastic, but the interaction with the world didn't feel fun, and the story felt very bland within the first 10 hours.

The only people that like BoTW are Nintendo fan boys. It's a child's game with Voodoo 2 era graphics

I can't decide whether I feel more bad about your childhood being so traumatic that you grew up to be such a miserable shit, or that you think being cynical makes up for your lack of personality. Lighten up dude.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
A principle is a principle, right?

A valid question.
The likes of Roxane Gay openly admit they hate it.
Like I said, at what principle does objectification of women harms mankind in general? Because some women hate it?

Let me tell you, those women are already cutting off the possibility of future by not doing so, I guess they can counter the problems with today's technology at some point, but that's the natural way. Lacking the guidance of the male part for the younger ones are already severely harming society, and that's what you call broken parenting.

Should've just left them on an island, see if they survive. Lol at hating the system, that's really depressing.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Felt like you always gonna find your way to post some lewd pictures. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
You’re not gonna ever scale down your pics aren’t you.
She's from a rated T game you puritan.

Kupfer

Didn't read many comments so sorry if already said. I thought the same as op in the first hours of the game, but once you beat the mission on the tower, finding the office of the guy, I won't go into detail, the story hooked me. I wanted to know everything. Some hours later I unlocked the Platinum trophy.

Edit:

Playing Days Gone right now and it just feels like a zombie HZD lite. It's good and fun, but just not so polished

Last edited:

manfestival

I played and beat HZD. I mostly ignore side quests unless they gave something really good. I honestly did not get most of the GOOD stuff. Including the OP armor. My experience was a good one but then again I try to avoid doing side quests. The only game I feel that forces the player and arbitrarily increases it's length that I am playing is AC odyssey. I really wish it didn't do this. The side missions are so boring too. HZD doesn't really have boring side missions but they got repetitive even with my minimal attempts at them.

zeorhymer

Didn't read many comments so sorry if already said. I thought the same as op in the first hours of the game, but once you beat the mission on the tower, finding the office of the guy, I won't go into detail, the story hooked me. I wanted to know everything. Some hours later I unlocked the Platinum trophy.
I think that was the problem with the game. By the time you're nearly finished the game, the story got really good. It was too slow of a burn for a lot of people.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Help, the level of insecurity in the above overflows my counters. *bzzzzz. gschtttt. kapow*

Last edited:

Lastyou1

Banned
That's the trick you are doing. The bolded isn't necessary. It did a lot of things great, but it's all been done before (which is 100% okay with me).

- The Vistas
- The robot designs and animations
- The Story line was great
- The graphics were top notch
- Fighting the robots was super fun
- Just riding on the back of a robot horse was fun
- The bow and arrow gameplay was tight and easy to remember.

I could make some valid counterpoints, like facial animations being lackluster and the story being just generic post apocalyptic world with cultural appropriation in the mix.

However, let's just agree to disagree.

To me HZD was a boring game because.... I felt I've played it thousands of times before. Setting and lore didn't do for me.
Combat is not engaging if the AI is too easy to exploit.

That's it.

Kupfer

I really want a Killzone (3) successor. Killzone Shadowfall didn't feel like a Killzone and the storyline was boring af. I didn't even finish it, because it was so frustrating, not because it was too hard or unfair, but unimaginative.

Grinchy

Banned
With all the talk of the PC version, I got an urge to give this game another shot. I reacquainted myself with the story up to the point I was at and just jumped right back in. I looked through my moves, traveled around the map killing things to get the flow back down, and before I knew it, I was pretty hooked.

It's amazing how much your mood can affect what you think of something. The game still has a lot of filler side quest content, but I'm not bothered by it like I was last year on my first attempt. It's just a nice excuse to go back out and hunt some robots. The intense battling is the draw here.

I really like how every machine has its own unique way to go about fighting it. If you actually take the time to scan each one and look at each of its parts, you start to develop attack plans on how best to subdue them, remove their weapons, ect.

I'm only playing on Hard and can't really imagine how difficult it is on Ultra Hard. With a controller at 30fps, there are instances where you can't quite whip the camera around fast enough to follow the crazy group of enemies attacking you. This game probably plays really nicely with keyboard/mouse.

Top Bottom